PDA

View Full Version : I learned science the hard way today.

Jessweeee♪
10-16-2011, 07:43 AM
So Mogi and I invited a couple of friends to our house and one of them collects torch lighters and likes to ruin pennies with them. He was heating one up so hot it was glowing red and then our other friend ♪TJ Gaga♪ was like "OMG LET'S PUT AN ICE CUBE ON THE PENNY" and we all know weird shit happens when you put super hot things on super cold things so Mogi and I were like "yeeeaaah that'll be so cooooool" Except we were doing this on a glass table outside. So the ice cube cracked and fizzled and melted about halfway and then it got quiet, and we were like "awww that's it?" And then CRACK the table top just broke into a million pieces and fell. It went from totally fine to in shambles in less than a second. So now I gotta call my parents and tell them it broke and find out what kind of table they want us to replace it with. We also need to come up with a reason for why it's our fault without telling them we did something stupid that would make them think that maybe they shouldn't be renting the house out to us, because we can't let them pay for it after we did something that dumb, and sober at that :|

ITT: We discuss things we broke in a stupid way.

Peegee
10-16-2011, 08:21 AM
I've never said this publicly but the reason I'm so good at computers was because I kept deleting everything on the old 486s to 'free up space' and always deleted my dad's work documents.

This continued up to windows 95. I'm pretty shocked he was able to stay in business with constantly data going missing. Hell I think I did it again this year, which was just inexcusable.

As for breaking my own stuff, I will just completely smash up things I own when they malfunction, with the intention of buying new stuff. Sadly sometimes I break things that don't need to be broken (like my expensive wireless speakers - turns out my pc was on 'mute')

That was a good day.

Pike
10-16-2011, 02:41 PM
So Mogi and I invited a couple of friends to our house and one of them collects torch lighters and likes to ruin pennies with them. He was heating one up so hot it was glowing red and then our other friend ♪TJ Gaga♪ was like "OMG LET'S PUT AN ICE CUBE ON THE PENNY" and we all know weird tit happens when you put super hot things on super cold things so Mogi and I were like "yeeeaaah that'll be so cooooool" Except we were doing this on a glass table outside. So the ice cube cracked and fizzled and melted about halfway and then it got quiet, and we were like "awww that's it?" And then CRACK the table top just broke into a million pieces and fell. It went from totally fine to in shambles in less than a second. So now I gotta call my parents and tell them it broke and find out what kind of table they want us to replace it with. We also need to come up with a reason for why it's our fault without telling them we did something stupid that would make them think that maybe they shouldn't be renting the house out to us, because we can't let them pay for it after we did something that dumb, and sober at that :|

ITT: We discuss things we broke in a stupid way.

THAT SOUNDS AWESOME

Jessweeee♪
10-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah, it was pretty awesome. Except it's my parents' table so I feel bad about it xD

Shlup
10-17-2011, 12:39 AM
I was going to post the same thing as Pike.

If you're ever in a riot and want to go looting, please bring pennies and ice instead of a baseball bat.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-17-2011, 12:54 AM
I melted a penny the other day with some MAPP gas, squeezed it in a vice, and splashed the zinc onto a styrofoam peanut........not as cool but amusing.

When I was little (6 or 7) I had a styrofoam airplane. It was plain ol' white styrofoam. "It sure would look a lot cooler if it was red or yellow.", thought 7 year old me.

That's the day I learned spray paint melts styrofoam. Lame.

rubah
10-17-2011, 01:43 AM
Jesse, remind me to teach you about material science some time.

Remember "add acid to water"? Same idea.

Mirage
10-17-2011, 01:52 AM
that sounds totally awesome jessweee and i wish there was a video of it i could watch

Jiro
10-17-2011, 02:26 AM
I just wouldn't tell them and would replace it just before they came home and say that a gypsy stole the table.

I learn lots of hard lessons about gravity. I've broken a lot of things by climbing on them, not least of which was an expensive motorcycle. Also "those in glass houses should not throw stones" right? I live in Glass House Mountains; throwing stones has been quite eventful.

Aydin
10-17-2011, 09:42 PM
I was there... It was the most awesome thing ever!!! Scary, but awesome.

Anywho, related to the ITT, I got frustrated with my first laptop and I punched the screen and broke it. -__-

Madame Adequate
10-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Yeah glass does weird things. I was melting some army men once and one of the jeeps caught fire so I watched it burn and melt. I was doing this in a glass ashtray because hey ashtray = fags and fags = fire must be safe right?

The ashtray goddamn exploded into pieces and I had to put out two fires that resulted.

I have been terrified of making glass hot ever since.

NorthernChaosGod
10-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Yeah glass does weird things. I was melting some army men once and one of the jeeps caught fire so I watched it burn and melt. I was doing this in a glass ashtray because hey ashtray = fags and fags = fire must be safe right?

The ashtray goddamn exploded into pieces and I had to put out two fires that resulted.

That sounds even cooler than the table.

Jessweeee♪
10-18-2011, 02:28 AM

How does that even happen :confused:

Jiro
10-18-2011, 04:16 AM
What do you expect when you attack soldiers with fire? They attack back! With more fire!

NorthernChaosGod
10-18-2011, 05:54 AM
Fight fire with fire!

Mogi
10-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Jesswee screamed.

Also, I don't even care that we have to buy a new table. That table sucked anyway, and it was all worth it.

KentaRawr!
10-18-2011, 12:10 PM
This is the coolest thread ever. :P

Anyway, I've broken a few things by accident in my lifetime. My brother once ran over his PSP with his car by mistake though, which I think takes the cake.

Jiro
10-18-2011, 12:46 PM
That's not how you make a PSP Lite brah

Mogi
10-19-2011, 06:29 AM
We told Jesswee's parents. They weren't mad at all. Like I said, that table sucked anyway. Jesswee's mom just laughed and said "No more science experiments." This is a story that'll be told amongst the family for a long time.

EDIT: Also, we don't have to buy a new table. Jesswee's mom said that the only reason that we don't have to buy a new one is because we offered to buy a new one though.

What I've learned from this is that honesty is the best policy with Jesswee's parents.

Jiro
10-19-2011, 10:38 AM
What else can you blow up?

NorthernChaosGod
10-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Diet coke with Mentos.

Bubba
10-19-2011, 03:44 PM
What else can you blow up?

A balloon?

sharkythesharkdogg
10-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Damn near anything.

Mogi
10-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Given that we have lots of pennies and ice, we could massacre a shit ton of glass.

DMKA
10-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Me and my sister did that with one of my mom's lighters and a plain old spoon when we were like 6 and 7. We had just got done watching some educational kids show on PBS about how heat transfers and part of it was a cartoon segment that showed a witch sturring a cauldron and the heat turned the spoon red up to her hand and she got burned etc.

Anyway, after the show ended we were bored, so we went into the kitchen and got a spoon, and got my mom's Grateful Dead button push lighter held the lighter under the spoon (luckily, neither of us could reach the top of the stove at this age) until it was so hot you couldn't hold it without an oven mit, then we got kind of scared, so we decided to turn on the sink an go throw it in the cold sink water to cool it off.

The spoon freaking EXPLODED and shattered the kitchen window right above the sink. It also broke a porcelean plate that was sitting in the sink.

To this day, my mom still doesn't know how that window and plate got broken. :p

NorthernChaosGod
10-19-2011, 08:32 PM
We had just got done watching some educational kids show on PBS about how heat transfers and part of it was a cartoon segment that showed a witch sturring a cauldron and the heat turned the spoon red up to her hand and she got burned etc.
Did it show different witches with spoons made of different materials? :eek:

DMKA
10-19-2011, 08:36 PM
We had just got done watching some educational kids show on PBS about how heat transfers and part of it was a cartoon segment that showed a witch sturring a cauldron and the heat turned the spoon red up to her hand and she got burned etc.
Did it show different witches with spoons made of different materials? :eek:
Yes!

NorthernChaosGod
10-19-2011, 08:42 PM
I totally saw that too. /smug

Pumpkin
10-19-2011, 09:04 PM
You know, my brother died playing with fire. :colbert:

DMKA
10-19-2011, 09:10 PM
You know, my brother died playing with fire. :colbert:
Oh I know. It's not funny, your brother died that way.