PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay to get a PS Vita early?

Kumo
10-16-2011, 11:46 AM
So I'm living in Japan ATM, and just reserved my VITA for December 17th. I'm debating whether or not to reserve another system in order to flip it. It won't be released in the USA until March/April of next year, but I'll be coming home for Xmas and was wondering if I should bring back another one to put on eBay or to sell to friends. But I'm wondering, who would want a PS Vita early? And if so, how much money would you be willing to pay for it? I'm wondering if buying another system would be worth it. We all saw what happened with the 3DS and how quickly the price dropped.

CelShadedDreams
10-16-2011, 12:32 PM
People will want it, it's region free and you can't get it through play-asia or any other site like that. Hell, I know at least 3 people who would be interested, but they're europe based.

You might not make loads of money off of it, but you wouldn't lose any of your investment. I imagine you'd make $20-50 off of it

Mirage
10-16-2011, 01:11 PM
I would pay 5 bucks.

erikramza
10-16-2011, 02:32 PM
I would pay $6.

VeloZer0
10-16-2011, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't pay any amount to get it early. As a matter of fact I usually make a point of waiting at least a year before I buy a new console so there is a decent library for it.

IMO they should be charging you less to get it early/at release. It has less value at that point.

Kumo
10-16-2011, 04:52 PM
I would pay $6.

Ohh! I already have a bidding war! :P Do I hear 7, $7 anybody?!?!?

But I do understand everybody's hesitation, especially after the clstrfck that was the 3DS. As far as a decent library is concerned, the PSN is supposed to be available on it right away, meaning that any PSOne or PSP games you have already bought can be put on it and played right away. I'm only going to get Marvel Vs Capcom 3 at launch I think, but I think it would be nice to show friends back at home when I visit as well so they can make their own decisions.

CelShadedDreams
10-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Actually PSOne Classics are an unknown at this point...

PlayStation Vita May Not Play Nice With TurboGrafx-16 Games [Update] | Siliconera (http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/13/playstation-vita-doesnt-play-nice-with-psone-classics/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+siliconera%2FMkOc+%28Siliconera%29&utm_content=Google+Reader)

Jessweeee♪
10-17-2011, 12:18 AM
Well I have my PSP for the PS1 Classics. I'm more interested in the potential PS2 library! That said, I wouldn't be interested in paying more to get it early because one, I don't know what problems it has yet. I accept that there's always something that's going to be wrong, but I want to know what that something is. Two, there possibly isn't a whole lot of games I'm interested in at launch. Really I only play a good twenty games or so per console :p

Kumo
10-17-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm also interested in the use of that second joystick. There are so many games that incorporate it, and it would really open up what games could be released both on the PSOne and on the PS2. Hopefully there will be more announcements in the coming weeks before the release.

Bolivar
10-17-2011, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't pay anything just because of the battery life. I'm holding out for the second iteration which hopefully will take care of it. The Vita has a ton of 1st year games I absolutely want to get, but I don't want a system with such a low charge, nor do I want to carry around extra battery packs. If it doesn't get resolved by next holiday, I'll fold and just do that. PLUS THERE'S A CALL OF DUTY COMING FOR IT!!! :hyper:

I'm also interested in the use of that second joystick. There are so many games that incorporate it, and it would really open up what games could be released both on the PSOne and on the PS2. Hopefully there will be more announcements in the coming weeks before the release.

Not to mention original PSP titles that could've used the stick will get functionality.

Actually PSOne Classics are an unknown at this point...

PlayStation Vita May Not Play Nice With TurboGrafx-16 Games [Update] | Siliconera (http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/13/playstation-vita-doesnt-play-nice-with-psone-classics/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+siliconera%2FMkOc+%28Siliconera%29&utm_content=Google+Reader)

Siliconera updated the story to state the US PlayStation site confirms PSOne compatibility.

Kumo
10-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Now that you mention it, I'm starting to think twice about the battery life. Everything else looks good, but how to extend that battery life? Isn't the PSP the same though? I have one of those and I'm not disappointed with the battery life at all (cause I don't sit down and play it for 8 hours a time, just an hour here and there throughout the week. )

Loony BoB
10-18-2011, 03:59 PM
From what I understand, the Vita has around the same battery life as the 3DS. Industry standard = Shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

I doubt I will be buying it on the day of release, so I wouldn't pay to get it early.

Bolivar
10-18-2011, 07:42 PM
I hear ya, BoB, but the industry standard isn't up to my standards, and I think it's a given that a second or third (please no) iteration would include longer battery life. Getting it at the time, for cheaper, and a buffet of games to choose from, is a much more attractive proposition. I'm playing a ton of PSP and DS games as it is, so I can wait.

Honestly, 3-5 ain't too bad. My longest travel time is usually 1:45, so it's totally fine for that. But I want to have that security for longer trips. Also, because online is so important for Vita, I wouldn't want that being eaten up... idk.

Madame Adequate
10-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Depends how much I could sell it on ebay for.

VeloZer0
10-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Industry standard = Shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Why the hell not? If the industry can't produce products up to an acceptable standard then consumers shouldn't feel obligated to buy them.

erikramza
10-19-2011, 04:10 AM
Do you have a 3DO? Ill give you like... $17 for one of those! O_O

Skyblade
10-19-2011, 06:11 AM
If I could get Persona 4 Portable early as well, in English, I'd pay quite a bit. Since the English release isn't going to be until after the English console release, the point is moot.

Loony BoB
10-19-2011, 09:19 AM

Why the hell not? If the industry can't produce products up to an acceptable standard then consumers shouldn't feel obligated to buy them.
I guess that's fair enough, although if that was the case then nobody would buy a mobile phone, either. :p I've supposedly got amazing battery life on my phone because I don't need to charge it every other night, but I still am not happy with it. I just don't envisage many scenarios where someone will go five hours of portable gaming without having a moment to plug in a charger.

I'm also a little too used to it being a 3DS vs. Vita debate, so I guess my wording was more suited to that argument than this thread. xD Bad habit caused by bad thread trends, I guess.

Kumo
10-19-2011, 10:06 AM
update: Looks like the Vita will be out in the USA February 22nd. A 2 month wait. not bad I guess. Makes it even more likely nobody will buy that 2nd system if I buy it, don't you think? And considering I'd want to make back the money that I'd originally spent on it, I'd want 25,000 yen ($325) at least. Most likely a lot of people wouldn't be willing to pay that much.

I wonder if the games are coming out earlier though.

Loony BoB
10-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Out of curiosity, what's the general feeling in Japan on the Vita, and also gaming in general? I understand things are pretty different over there pretty often, so I'm pretty curious.

VeloZer0
10-19-2011, 11:44 AM

I guess that's fair enough, although if that was the case then nobody would buy a mobile phone, either. :p I've supposedly got amazing battery life on my phone because I don't need to charge it every other night, but I still am not happy with it. I just don't envisage many scenarios where someone will go five hours of portable gaming without having a moment to plug in a charger.
It's funny because I had cellphones in mind when I wrote that. :) As far as I am concerned they haven't built a smartphone yet that is up to my standards, hence I haven't bought one. I don't need all my friends telling me that 'phone x' is as good as you are going to get. When one is good enough, I will buy it. :p

That said, I couldn't care less about the battery life. The only time my PSP or DS gets used is sitting on my couch, the only reason I own them to begin with is they have games I want to play. So playing with it plugged in isn't a big deal.

Bolivar
10-19-2011, 02:46 PM
^ You made it seemed like it was!

It might be a big deal for mem, those things tend to get hot when you play with them plugged in!

VeloZer0
10-20-2011, 12:44 AM
I was more reacting to the sentiment of the comment, not anything to do with the Vita. I have to get a new phone, so I am a little bit touchy on the subject at the moment. :mad:

Kumo
10-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Out of curiosity, what's the general feeling in Japan on the Vita, and also gaming in general? I understand things are pretty different over there pretty often, so I'm pretty curious.

If you follow the news, it looks like pre-orders have been pretty good, and that it will probably do better than the 3DS did at release. As far as design and graphics are concerned, people are pretty excited with the possibilities. I also think that the release games and schedule are better than the 3DS, and the fact that you can play your games from the PSN right out of the box is a plus as well. Nintendo had that huge problem of getting the network up, and is slow to release meaningful games. I can't wait to start seeing PS2 and dual shock PSOne games on the Vita.

Bolivar
10-20-2011, 09:15 PM
^ That's what I would imagine, considering how much the PSP has dominate late in the life cycle, it would only make sense for the successor to have a lot of hype when the original still does in a kind of odds-defying way.

And when you hear about all the social, geographic community building, network type stuff, like NEAR, it just has Japan written all over it.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-21-2011, 01:55 AM
I wouldn't pay any amount to get it early. As a matter of fact I usually make a point of waiting at least a year before I buy a new console so there is a decent library for it.

IMO they should be charging you less to get it early/at release. It has less value at that point.

I agree. I didn't get my PSP until several years after release, but I use it a lot now.

Well I have my PSP for the PS1 Classics. I'm more interested in the potential PS2 library! That said, I wouldn't be interested in paying more to get it early because one, I don't know what problems it has yet. I accept that there's always something that's going to be wrong, but I want to know what that something is. Two, there possibly isn't a whole lot of games I'm interested in at launch. Really I only play a good twenty games or so per console :p

Yeah, I'd like to see PS2 games on the Vita too. The only issue will be storage. The PSP has a wide range of memory cards, but the Vita will only have memory on the NVG game cards, which will be 2-4 gigs at launch - hardly enough room for a good library of PS2 games. I'll wait until there's a 16 gig NVG card available.

Kumo
10-21-2011, 06:19 AM
Just got chills thinking about playing games like GoW 1 and 2 HD, Shadow of the Colossus or RE4 HD on the PS Vita. That would make it incredibly cool to have one and play.

With everybody talking about how much they play their PSPs still, I'm guessing you're not finished buying games yet, right? I'm still planning on buying a few, but now that the UMD has been discontinued, I'm thinking I should buy them online instead and transfer them onto the VITA once I get one.

EDIT: Looks like the only game not offered on the PSN is Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. All the others I want I can get online and just load straight onto the Vita when I get it.

Bolivar
10-21-2011, 08:25 AM
^ well, to be honest, it's not so much PSN gamesi'm psyched about playing on it (unless of course Battlefield 1943 and Deathspank are compatible) but PSOne games. I still haven't beaten FFVIII or FFT downloaded, I'm in the middle of Valkyria Chronicles II, and Arc the Lad is the next series I'm trying to break into. Seeing them on the OLED screen almost makes it worth it, but as VeloZero and other have stated, the battery life is an issue although the more i think about it, the less it matters :goomba:

Kumo
10-22-2011, 01:27 AM
It looks like the ZOE HD collection will be available on the VITA as well on the PSN in the first few months. That's going to be damn cool. And you will be able to play ALL of the PSOne titles on the Vita. You should be able to sync it with your PSN account right out of the box.

Skyblade
10-22-2011, 05:18 PM
^ well, to be honest, it's not so much PSN gamesi'm psyched about playing on it (unless of course Battlefield 1943 and Deathspank are compatible) but PSOne games. I still haven't beaten FFVIII or FFT downloaded, I'm in the middle of Valkyria Chronicles II, and Arc the Lad is the next series I'm trying to break into. Seeing them on the OLED screen almost makes it worth it, but as VeloZero and other have stated, the battery life is an issue although the more i think about it, the less it matters :goomba:

It's not your fault, Bolivar, no one can blame you for not forcing yourself through that terrible game again.:D

I might have to look into the Valkyria Chronicles games. I've heard good things, but never tried them.

Battery life is not an issue unless it is really, really small. Most of my playtime away from my house is during my lunch break at work, so if the battery can last through that, it just becomes a matter of annoyance rather than necessity.

Is there a release date title list for the Vita yet?

ljkkjlcm9
10-23-2011, 12:40 AM
I'm more interested in a PSP price cut and getting one of those for the games I've missed. Any I can get off of PSN I would, because I probably will get a Vita eventually, and it'd be easier that way. While Vita interests me, it's similar to the PS2 was for me. Nothing ever sold me on it, and I bought it to play games retroactively. Hell even the PS3, I ended up settling on getting for the Blu-ray player.

And I expect the 3DS to sell really well this holiday season with Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart. I substitute at a daycare and I know many kids that want it, and many parents that plan to buy it for them. Even at my other job, I have some of the people with kids asking me stuff about the 3DS since I own one.

THE JACKEL

Kumo
10-23-2011, 02:04 AM
I believe there has already been a price cut for the PSP. There is a special one in the UK they are selling for 99 pounds, and in the USA you can get a basic model for about $130. Both are reasonably priced I think, and most of the PSONe classics are going for about $3.99/5.99 which aren't bad. Once the VITA comes out in February, they might have a sale to clear out the rest of the PSP inventory, but I don't think it will go any lower than it will now. However, you will probably be able to get some cheap for pre-owned prices when everybody trades there stuff in for the VITA. Might be able to get one for about $80 then.