PDA

View Full Version : I got a Wii

Carl the Llama
10-16-2011, 12:28 PM
So I went out and splurged on a Wii along with Twilight Princess (which is just awesome btw) but I wanted you guys to recommend some games for me to buy, don't recommend any football games though, I can't stand them, I really want to get my RPG game face back on as while playing all the new style RPG's the 360 has I want something a little more traditional.

Del Murder
10-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Wii has RPGs?

My favorite Wii games are Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Carl the Llama
10-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is an RPG, as is Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

Levian
10-16-2011, 05:34 PM
If you gather 3 friends, you're not gonna have more fun with any other game than New Super Mario Bros!

otherwise:
Zack & Wiki
Wario Ware
The Resident Evil Chronicle games.
Boom Blox

Depression Moon
10-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Tatsunoko vs Capcom

I believe Skywards Sword and Kirby's Return to Dreamland are coming soon as well.

Pike
10-16-2011, 06:03 PM
I like Brawl.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is supposedly good.

(Brawl is the only Wii game I have ever played. Anytime I get a hold of a Wii, which isn't often, I beeline for the vintage games section and play OoT or something.)

Wolf Kanno
10-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Fire Emblem is pretty good, haven't played Tales of Symphonia or Arc Rise Fantasia yet. I also still need to pick up the Crystal Chronicles sets but I've been busy. Also, hell yes Twilight Princess is an awesome game. :cool:

My recommendations:

No More Heroes 1 and 2 - a very weird experience with motion controls but it is funny as hell and was really fun.
Mad World - Imagine if someone made Running Man into a game, and you pretty much got this title down pat. Also really funny.
Fragile Dreams - Its more of an old school PC adventure game but the art style and story are pretty amazing.
House of the Dead Overkill - I actually like rail shooters and this one is hilarious... it is practically a satire on 70s cop shows and horror films. It's first boss is a psychic zombie version of Stephen Hawkins for crying out loud.
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom - It's the famous Capcom Vs series with some long time anime faves, gameplay is a bit dumbed down for my taste but its controls are not very different from MvC3.

In terms of ports/remakes on the systems, NightS and Okami are good titles, unless you didn't like them the first go around, (granted NightS loses a bit of its luster since the novelty of 3D games is gone).

On Virtual Console:
There is FFIV: TAY but honestly... I'd buy it for the PSP cause its not only cheaper but you get better graphics and portability along with another copy of FFIV.
World of Goo is a very interesting puzzle game, it bares some minor similarities to LocoRoco
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen - Great lost SNES gem, it's story is very muted I'm afraid but the gameplay starts off deceptively simple and then a GameFaqs guide later you'll discover the rabbit hole that is trying to get all the endings and unlock all the units. It's a very different kind of SRPG, but it's Matsuno so its expected.
Mega Man 9 and 10 - If you haven't picked them up on the PS3 yet of course, but still good games from MM standards.

There are more but it will come down to personal taste and whether you actually care for old school gaming and whether you still have the means to play it.

Carl the Llama
10-16-2011, 08:00 PM
I believe Skywards Sword and Kirby's Return to Dreamland are coming soon as well.

Already pre ordered the new Zelda (along with the limited edition controller they are selling).

NorthernChaosGod
10-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Screw Brawl, just get Melee instead. Listen to everyone else for non-Smash things. xD

Jessweeee♪
10-17-2011, 01:50 AM
If you're in a European country you could give Another Code R (I think that was the name?) a try. I haven't played it myself since I'm an American, but I adored Trace Memory.

ljkkjlcm9
10-17-2011, 02:26 AM
If not in America, clearly Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story.

For titles not mentioned
Arc Rise Fantasia is a pretty straight forward JRPG, pretty good if that's what you're looking for.
Muramasa: The Demon Blade is an amazing game as well.
Sin and Punishment is pretty good for the price now too

Then OF COURSE, there is Monster Hunter Tri, which probably has my most time spent on the Wii.

Personally I HATE the Wii Fire Emblem.

THE JACKEL

Carl the Llama
10-18-2011, 12:08 AM
If not in America, clearly Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story.

For titles not mentioned
Arc Rise Fantasia is a pretty straight forward JRPG, pretty good if that's what you're looking for.
Muramasa: The Demon Blade is an amazing game as well.
Sin and Punishment is pretty good for the price now too

Then OF COURSE, there is Monster Hunter Tri, which probably has my most time spent on the Wii.

THE JACKEL

Much to my detriment, Arc Rise Fantasia has not been released in Europe :/ the Wii isn't region free by any chance? xD

Jiro
10-18-2011, 08:44 AM

It's certainly inferior to the previous GBA instalments but I enjoyed it just the same.

Old Manus
10-18-2011, 09:48 AM
Do they still make games for the Wii?

Wolf Kanno
10-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Much to my detriment, Arc Rise Fantasia has not been released in Europe :/ the Wii isn't region free by any chance? xD

Afraid not, but if you're willing to ship me a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles, I can ship you Arc Rise Fantasia, luckily its not too difficult to mod the Wii. ;)

Fynn
10-18-2011, 11:19 AM
If it's a European Wii, get Xenoblade Chronicles! Now! You owe it to your Wii!

Bubba
10-18-2011, 01:57 PM
I would agree that both Galaxy games are essential for the Wii. I've pre-ordered Skyward Sword as well so can't wait for that.

If you didn't play Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube then I strongly recommend purchasing it for the Wii. The Wii controller makes it awesome.

I didn't actually complete it though... but that's mainly due to me crapping my pants every time I played it. At every save point I'd turn it off, have tea and biscuits, watch Red Dwarf and not return to the game for weeks...

I am your basic, natural coward though...

Carl the Llama
10-19-2011, 03:54 AM
I would agree that both Galaxy games are essential for the Wii. I've pre-ordered Skyward Sword as well so can't wait for that.

If you didn't play Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube then I strongly recommend purchasing it for the Wii. The Wii controller makes it awesome.

I didn't actually complete it though... but that's mainly due to me crapping my pants every time I played it. At every save point I'd turn it off, have tea and biscuits, watch Red Dwarf and not return to the game for weeks...

I am your basic, natural coward though...

You like Red Dwarf... your awesomeness just went up 10 points lol.

Xenoblade Chronicles seems like the game to get then, I might go get it tomorrow if they have it in the shops ^^.

Bubba
10-19-2011, 12:08 PM
You like Red Dwarf... your awesomeness just went up 10 points lol. ^^..

Still my number one TV series of all time... one of my favourite pastimes is correcting like-minded dwarfer friends on their mis-usage of space corp directives...

Carl the Llama
10-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Just got back from town, I got Xenoblade Chronicles ^^

Fynn
10-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Tell me you love it just as much as I do! I dare ya! :kakapo: Oh, and BTW, hope you're using the classic controller, since I heard that the camera sucks with the wii remote and nunchuck configuration.

DMKA
10-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Is The Last Story out yet?

Shlup
10-19-2011, 08:34 PM
My favorite games for Wii are Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy, so I'm not much help. LoZ: Skyward Sword comes out in a month though, and I'm preordering it.

Carl the Llama
10-20-2011, 01:15 AM
Tell me you love it just as much as I do! I dare ya! :kakapo: Oh, and BTW, hope you're using the classic controller, since I heard that the camera sucks with the wii remote and nunchuck configuration.

My day has gone something like this, go to town, buy the game, go home, put game in console, forget to eat dinner, forget to go to bed on time, realise what time it is, carry on playing despite how late it is xD

This. Game. Is. Fucking. A.W.E.S.O.M.E!!! now I feel really really bad for those of you people in America who are deprived of the greatness of this game... but only for as long as it takes me to remember the countless times I have wished for an American game to be released over here (the original Tactics, Grandia III and Arc Rise Fantasia to name a few).

And as far as the classic controller goes, I don't have one, but tbh who ever told you the camera sucks needs to multi-task, I have found it a piece of cake (though admittedly I would have bought a controller if I had not spent all my money buying the game).

Levian
10-20-2011, 02:42 AM
If you don't have a DS you should get the Phoenix Wright games off of the Wii Shop!

Wolf Kanno
10-20-2011, 04:22 AM
Is The Last Story out yet?

It has a 2012 release for Europe, and Australia just had the game rated, but no release date that I remember hearing about.

Fynn
10-20-2011, 06:09 AM

My day has gone something like this, go to town, buy the game, go home, put game in console, forget to eat dinner, forget to go to bed on time, realise what time it is, carry on playing despite how late it is xD

This. Game. Is. smurfing. A.W.E.S.O.M.E!!! now I feel really really bad for those of you people in America who are deprived of the greatness of this game... but only for as long as it takes me to remember the countless times I have wished for an American game to be released over here (the original Tactics, Grandia III and Arc Rise Fantasia to name a few).

And as far as the classic controller goes, I don't have one, but tbh who ever told you the camera sucks needs to multi-task, I have found it a piece of cake (though admittedly I would have bought a controller if I had not spent all my money buying the game).

Glad you like it ^^ It is friggin' amazing, isn't it? Once again, it blows my mind why they wouldn't release it in the US. BTW, are you playing with the English dub? I heard that a lot of people choose to use the Japanese voices, but I thought the English voice acting was quite great.

Carl the Llama
10-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Glad you like it ^^ It is friggin' amazing, isn't it? Once again, it blows my mind why they wouldn't release it in the US. BTW, are you playing with the English dub? I heard that a lot of people choose to use the Japanese voices, but I thought the English voice acting was quite great.

I always play games that have the option of Japanese in English, its the language I speak and I don't like to have subtitles spoiling the scenery.

Evastio
10-20-2011, 05:52 PM
My list of Recommendations:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Epic Mickey
Tales of Symphonia Dawn of a New World

Screw Brawl, just get Melee instead. Listen to everyone else for non-Smash things. xD
Brawl didn't ruin Smash Bros. Competitive Smashers ruined Smash Bros for themselves. Get rid of Melee's nostalgia and you'll see it was just a rushed, glitched, redundant game. So many stages consist of just a main platform and three smaller platforms in triangle formation, the "clones" are so ridiculously similar compared to Brawl's and they didn't even give them the courtesy of different attack animations (bar 2 or 3 moves, compared to 1/3 to 1/2 of the moveset for Brawl characters), and the characters are imbalanced for competitive, casual, and single player mode play (Even if Brawl Ganondorf and Brawl Captain Falcon are considered horrible, at least they do really well in Very Hard and Intense Classic and All Star Mode compared to Pichu, Melee Kirby, and Melee Bowser). Also, Melee has nothing to offer in terms of co-op multiplayer while Brawl has Co-op adventure modes, stadium modes, and event matches.

Honestly, I'm so sick of Melee fans bashing on Brawl when they can't even see and admit the flaws that Melee had. I admit Melee is good and fun, but even compared to the original, it took quite a lot of things in the wrong direction, especially the redundancy of characters and stages.

And even if Melee was actually better, without the bias and nostalgia from Melee fans and Melee competitive smashers, Gamecube Controllers and Memory Cards would be necessary to play (well, not the latter, but it would really suck not being able to save) and they'd be hard to access compared to accessories for current day systems.

NorthernChaosGod
10-20-2011, 07:11 PM
>Melee inbalanced
>forgets Brawl Metaknight
>bertstare.jpg

Evastio
10-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Meta Knight's pathetic excuse for power and knockback shows that Sakurai at least made an attempt to balance out characters (which is a lot more than can be said for Pichu, whose trophy even admits that he's insanely weak and handicapped). And it's not like Meta Knight dominates single player mode and casual play (his really light weight takes its toll on free for alls with three other opponents racking up damage, not to mention he can't take a hit from most items at mid percent, and even on Wi-Fi, Meta Knight players don't even win 1/3 of the time). Meta Knight is mainly unbalanced in competitive play, and really, Smash Bros. was never meant for that in the first place, with it's four player frantic random gameplay (even the original Smash Bros. didn't have a truly neutral stage).

Honestly, if you're going to keep hating on Brawl and stick to your biasedness for Melee, go ahead and ruin Smash Bros. for yourself, but don't go making people shun a game they haven't even tried out before. That's all I'm going to say because this has gone off topic enough as it is.

Anyways KaiserDragon, I should've asked, will you be able to play local multiplayer games with friends often? That'll be a central factor in picking some games, especially ones that revolve around multiplayer like New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Mario Kart Wii.

NorthernChaosGod
10-20-2011, 09:12 PM
I kind of thought I was still having fun. I didn't know you have to play as a casual to enjoy something.

Carl the Llama
10-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Anyways KaiserDragon, I should've asked, will you be able to play local multiplayer games with friends often? That'll be a central factor in picking some games, especially ones that revolve around multiplayer like New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Mario Kart Wii.

Yeps, my sister has a Wii and we have Wii nights over her house, now we are going to alternate our nights between her place and mine.