PDA

View Full Version : Something I've always wondered...

CelShadedDreams
10-16-2011, 12:37 PM
I never here Americans talk abut roast potatoes when it comes to roast meals such as Thanksgiving. Is that what a 'tot' is? All I ever hear about is mash with a roast dinner and I can't help but feel that you're missing out!

Either that or I'm ignorant and you all do have roast potatoes and I'm going to go hang my head in shame.

blackmage_nuke
10-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Most potatoes I've heard of are baked

Inb4 Samwise

Pike
10-16-2011, 02:45 PM
I had to google roast potatoes to find out what it was. It looks like glorified tater tots, to me!

But keep in mind that all I eat is pizza and ice cream so I'm not exactly the best person to ask about this sort of thing

EDIT: Wait, I was browsing google images and I think I've had those before. My mom made them sometimes. Just not for thanksgiving; my family traditionally had mashed potatoes. I'm sure everyone does it differently, though!

Miriel
10-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Whaaat?

Roasted potatoes are completely different from tater tots. Tater tots are fried, roasted potatoes are, you know, roasted.

I have cooked potatoes: deep fried, shallow fried, boiled, stewed, poached, scalloped, mashed, baked, twice baked, smashed (which is different from mashed), and roasted. Potatoes are my favorite.

Pike
10-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Roasted potatoes are completely different from tater tots. Tater tots are fried, roasted potatoes are, you know, roasted.

I have no idea what the difference between roasted and fried is, I'm sorry :( And yes I am well aware of how pathetic I am. It's part of my charm though, right? ...right? D:

NorthernChaosGod
10-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Mashed potatoes are superior.

Madonna
10-16-2011, 07:57 PM
You guys suck at explaining.

Tater tots are essentially bite-size compressed hashbrowns/itty bitty latkes. Potatoes are processed and shredded into little bits before being mixed with what is probably egg, flour, salt, and pepper, before being smooshed into little nuggets that are then cooked and packaged frozen. They can be reheated via baking or frying. Store-bought ones will usually be oven-baked, as many people at home lack deep fryers, and tater tots bought at a fast food joint will be deep fried because taking a half hour to cook something is not fast.

Roasted potatoes are exactly as you read: potatoes, roasted. There exists a variety of ways to achieve roasting, but the usual holiday meal method is to chunk up your potatoes and toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and whatever herb seasoning floats your boat, before dumping the potatoes onto a baking sheet and roasting them until soft and golden brown. If you are roasting something smaller than a turkey, you may consider wanting to use a bed of these potatoes (made as described but not yet cooked) upon which you place your beef, pork, or chicken.

I hope this makes the difference clear, CelShadedDreams.

Pike
10-16-2011, 08:24 PM

Tater tots are essentially bite-size compressed hashbrowns/itty bitty latkes. Potatoes are processed and shredded into little bits before being mixed with what is probably egg, flour, salt, and pepper, before being smooshed into little nuggets that are then cooked and packaged frozen. They can be reheated via baking or frying. Store-bought ones will usually be oven-baked, as many people at home lack deep fryers, and tater tots bought at a fast food joint will be deep fried because taking a half hour to cook something is not fast.

Roasted potatoes are exactly as you read: potatoes, roasted. There exists a variety of ways to achieve roasting, but the usual holiday meal method is to chunk up your potatoes and toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and whatever herb seasoning floats your boat, before dumping the potatoes onto a baking sheet and roasting them until soft and golden brown. If you are roasting something smaller than a turkey, you may consider wanting to use a bed of these potatoes (made as described but not yet cooked) upon which you place your beef, pork, or chicken.

Possibly the most informative post I've ever read on this forum.

Peegee
10-16-2011, 08:31 PM
This thread made me die a little.

we need an eoff cooking show.

Crop
10-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Hey Napoleon, gimme some of your tots!

CelShadedDreams
10-16-2011, 09:12 PM

Thanks, I just figured thanksgiving dinner was an extra fancy version on a typical Sunday roast dinner over here so there must be some kind of roast potato included, but it's more different than I thought! Having mash with a roast over here is just wrong!

A tot sounds an awful lot like a rosti, except a rosti is pancake shaped.

I'm hungry again now even though I had a roast dinner earlier today

rubah
10-16-2011, 10:23 PM
I think I can speak for most americans that if you say "roast" with some implication of meat to us, we will typically think of beef, as in a pot roast (http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pot_roast/)

however, for thanksgiving, we eat baked turkey like many canadians.

but it is also common to eat mashed potatoes with roast [beef].

Peegee
10-16-2011, 10:42 PM
I hate roast beef

Shlup
10-16-2011, 10:52 PM
I make roasted red potatoes with a honey mustard glaze on a fairly regular basis.

NorthernChaosGod
10-16-2011, 10:56 PM
I make roasted red potatoes with a honey mustard glaze on a fairly regular basis.
Roasted red potatoes are delicious. :O

Pike
10-16-2011, 11:05 PM
I hate roast beef

Roast beef is best when it's in an Arby's sandwich!

Jiro
10-17-2011, 02:23 AM
I can't believe people didn't know what roast potatos were. I mean c'mon what do you people eat, grass? DIG A LITTLE DEEPER, THE POTATOS GROW UNDERGROUND

Pike
10-17-2011, 04:57 AM
I can't believe people didn't know what roast potatos were. I mean c'mon what do you people eat, grass?

Well I am a pony, to be fair.

NorthernChaosGod
10-17-2011, 05:39 AM
I thought you were a robot. :colbert:

hongyi
10-17-2011, 10:41 AM
I do not know what the difference between roasted and fried!

Mirage
10-17-2011, 12:30 PM

Are you implying one can't be both?

sharkythesharkdogg
10-17-2011, 01:21 PM
I like roasted red potato with olive oil, salt, and rosemary but traditionally I grew up with creamed/mashed potatoes with turkey and roast beef.

Mashed potatoes kick ass. Roasted potatoes are pretty good too, but to me they're just glorified home-fries.

Pike
10-17-2011, 02:56 PM

http://mydisguises.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Robot_Unicorn_Attack_by_ArtNerdEm.jpg

NorthernChaosGod
10-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Wouldn't you eat robot grass then? :doublecolbert:

Jiro
10-17-2011, 03:02 PM
data chips imo. Better than potato chips.

CelShadedDreams
10-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Mashed potatoes kick ass. Roasted potatoes are pretty good too, but to me they're just glorified home-fries. If they're like glorified home-fries you're doing them wrong!

They need to be par-boiled than drained and tossed to make them fluffy, keep them on a low heat in a pan to dry off the excess moisture from boiling while tossing some more, THEN stick them in some hot oil in an oven tray (preferably leftover oil/juices from the meat you're cooking them with to make them extra scrummy) and add seasoning.

Omnomnom.

Apparently goose fat is the thing to use to make them really crispy, but that's just pricey and doesn't make a huge difference IMO.

Maybe we should have some kind of eoff potato-based cook-off?

Miriel
10-17-2011, 07:51 PM
They need to be par-boiled than drained and tossed to make them fluffy, keep them on a low heat in a pan to dry off the excess moisture from boiling while tossing some more, THEN stick them in some hot oil in an oven tray (preferably leftover oil/juices from the meat you're cooking them with to make them extra scrummy) and add seasoning.

This is exactly how I do my roasted potatoes. Par-boil, toss with olive oil, rosemary, thyme, minced garlic, and sometimes a little lemon juice, and then roast at a super high temperature to get it nice and crispy.

I'm also a big fan of roasted vegetables. I used to hate so many veggies until I ate them roasted. Butternut squash is especially delicious roasted since the high temperature brings out the sugars and caramelizes them. Yum.

CelShadedDreams
10-17-2011, 08:12 PM

This is exactly how I do my roasted potatoes. Par-boil, toss with olive oil, rosemary, thyme, minced garlic, and sometimes a little lemon juice, and then roast at a super high temperature to get it nice and crispy.

I'm also a big fan of roasted vegetables. I used to hate so many veggies until I ate them roasted. Butternut squash is especially delicious roasted since the high temperature brings out the sugars and caramelizes them. Yum.

You sound like my kind of lady <3

I love roasted veg, especially peppers, courgettes and aubergine.

I had roasted beetroot for the first time a cuple of weeks ago at a restaurant, it's something I never would have thought of roasting myself but it was delicious!

I wish I could roast sweet potato and aubergine more often, but my OH doesn't like it and it's just too much food to justify doing it for myself http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/eoff_smilies/frown.gif

Rantz
10-17-2011, 08:13 PM

Roasted veggies are delicious. Whole, juicy, roasted onions... *dies*

NorthernChaosGod
10-17-2011, 10:18 PM

Roasted veggies are delicious. Whole, juicy, roasted onions... *dies*
I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Loony BoB
10-24-2011, 01:23 PM
I am genuinely stunned that people have to google 'roast potatoes' to figure out what they are. *falls over* I never thought that there would be a 'western world' country out there that doesn't know what roast potatoes are. I thought they were a global thing, you know?

sharkythesharkdogg
10-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Plus, if you know the definition of the word roast, and you know what a potato is, you know what roasted potato is.

You don't even need to have seen it before.

Pike
10-24-2011, 02:44 PM
I'M SPECIAL, OKAY?

*curls up into a ball*

Loony BoB
10-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Ooh, ball! *kicks at wall*

:<3:

Pike
10-24-2011, 03:07 PM
:( :(

...so is Pikeball played like Calvinball or what?

Loony BoB
10-24-2011, 03:18 PM
I can't help but feel that Pikeball should involve a ball and pikes, and I'm not exactly sure on how it would work. Play it like hockey, but first team to deflate the ball loses?

sharkythesharkdogg
10-24-2011, 03:46 PM
I love Calvin and Hobbes. It has nothing to do with this thread, or how special Pike is, but I have to let that out on occasion.

NorthernChaosGod
10-24-2011, 11:18 PM
I want to play Pikeball.

Pike
10-24-2011, 11:56 PM
I can't help but feel that Pikeball should involve a ball and pikes, and I'm not exactly sure on how it would work. Play it like hockey, but first team to deflate the ball loses?

I want to play Pikeball.

I'm not sure how I should feel about all of this.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-25-2011, 12:03 AM
You heard her guys.

Stop playing with her balls. :colbert:

fire_of_avalon
10-25-2011, 12:05 AM
I should ban you for that pun. Jesus.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-25-2011, 12:19 AM
I.....but....Pike....testicles......:G

NorthernChaosGod
10-25-2011, 12:33 AM

I want to play Pikeball.

I'm not sure how I should feel about all of this.
I don't know; I was nonspecific about which version I wanted to play.

GrimmReaper
10-25-2011, 12:42 AM
such a simple meal. I google'd roasted potatoes to see if you all were talking about something completely different then what I was thinking.
nope.
and that's sad. I hope I'm not the only american who cooks around here.

Pike
10-25-2011, 04:55 AM
You heard her guys.

Stop playing with her balls. :colbert:

I was waiting for that joke. I'm surprised it took this long, actually.

such a simple meal. I google'd roasted potatoes to see if you all were talking about something completely different then what I was thinking.
nope.
and that's sad. I hope I'm not the only american who cooks around here.

You're not; I just give 'em all a bad name.