PDA

View Full Version : Best Game Ever

Carl the Llama
10-17-2011, 01:21 AM
If you had to choose which game is your all time favourite what would it be?

For me I think it would have to be the game I named myself after, Breath of Fire III.

To me Breath of Fire III is the epitome of an awesome game, the dragon transforming, the special moves (which it took luck and good timing to learn all the abilities the game has to offer) the Masters system, it all combined to make it one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had, the story was awesome fun and lets not forget, Ryu is actually a God as evidenced in the 4th instalment (which was a very very close second).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/OMGZERGRUSH/Dragon_TrueKaiser_01.gif

emmahudson88
10-17-2011, 04:38 AM
Thank you so much for your post.

Jiro
10-17-2011, 05:04 AM
No, thank you so much for your post, bot.

Anyway, these "pick one" things are hard. I always feel like I'm not doing everything justice and I want to pick more than one or I forget something that could be a contender. Which is why a while ago I just decided that FFVI would forever and always take the number one spot in my heart.

We all know why it's amazing and I think being sprite-based gives it an advantage when it comes to the "ageing" process.

Pike
10-17-2011, 05:08 AM
Are we picking which game is our favorite or which game we think is the "best" game? They don't necessarily have to be the same... (although they can be, of course.)

Jiro
10-17-2011, 05:26 AM
I believe it is the best game, not just our personal favourite. Although I strongly suggest they are one and the same in my case :colbert:

Pheesh
10-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Kingdom Hearts, and it's the best just because! :expee:

Madame Adequate
10-17-2011, 07:04 AM
Suikoden II, without a doubt. Played it through last year and it was more beautiful than ever.

Jaemiuh
10-17-2011, 07:54 AM
For me it's MGS4. I know it's not for everyone, but something about the story and characters just clicks with me. I haven't played 2 and 3 and I don't know if it's to do with the music or what it is, but it is the only game which sends chills down my spine with guarantee.

Pete for President
10-17-2011, 08:46 AM
FFX. The story covers a lot of themes similar to our own world, like religion, mankind's use of technology, social control, racism, politics, family values and of course life and death. It gave (and actually still gives) me a lot to think about.

Also, it takes place in a world that absolutely sucks me in every time I play through it. Everything in Spira feels alive and credible. Especially since it's not a perfect paradise, but because nothing is safe out there.

Laddy
10-17-2011, 12:06 PM
FFVI, FFVII, Baldur's Gate II, Persona 3, and shit like that are what I'd consider games I love that were very, very well-received and thus deserve to be consider amongst the most elite games of their kind.

But, I'mma go for Okage: Shadow King for best ever.

Bolivar
10-17-2011, 02:22 PM
FFVII. I love all the elements of thre game, but the way they interact is the best, like the dialogue over the backgrounds with the music making it eery, or the fast paced actioney-feel of the battles.

Plus I beat Xenogears this weekend so I feel like my opinion is reinforced.

For me it's MGS4. I know it's not for everyone, but something about the story and characters just clicks with me. I haven't played 2 and 3 and I don't know if it's to do with the music or what it is, but it is the only game which sends chills down my spine with guarantee.

I almost said this, too, I think it's top 2 for me.

Gamblet
10-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Chrono Trigger or Morrowind, I can't decide.

Morrowind has great story and environment, Chrono Trigger has spectacular story and gameplay.
Decisions, decisions.

Pike
10-17-2011, 03:01 PM
I believe it is the best game, not just our personal favourite.

In that case I'm tempted to say Yoshi's Island, which is possibly the most all-around perfect game I've ever played, in every department-- gameplay, music, art style, etc.

...yeah, let's go with that.

NorthernChaosGod
10-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Definitely Chrono Trigger.

Araciel
10-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Favourite game is a tie between suikoden 3 and symphony of the night.

Best game (overall) is Tetris.

Del Murder
10-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Final Fantasy VI is the greatest game of all time. Great characters. Moving story. Sadistic villain. A variety of abilities. Tons of sidequests. Square got it perfect.

Slothy
10-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Favourite game ever is tough to say. Generally FFVI for everything except gameplay, though if I was talking about my favourite game that also has great gameplay I'd probably go with either Metal Gear Solid or Shadow of the Colossus.

As far as the best game ever, I'd say either Portal, Starcraft 2, or Alpha Centauri. Maybe Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix would be up there too.

ljkkjlcm9
10-17-2011, 08:23 PM
My favorite is probably The World Ends With You.
Either that or Dark Souls....
Followed by FFVI

THE JACKEL

Fynn
10-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Xenoblade Chronicles. Just.

Rostum
10-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Grim Fandango.

Bubba
10-18-2011, 02:40 PM
I reckon if I'd played FFVI when I was younger it could easily take it's place in my number one slot. Unfortunately, as I'm only playing it now for the first time it hasn't got that nostalgia element attached to it for me... which is a shame because I'm loving it at the minute.

That being said I would have to go with FFVII. It was the first one I played and have never felt that same level of magic, excitement, emotion in any game I've played since. It edged out my previous favourite (and still number two) A Link to the Past.

Del Murder
10-18-2011, 04:55 PM
For the record, my second favorite game is Final Fantasy VII and my third favorite is Chrono Trigger.

Even though it's not my favorite, I think that the original Legend of Zelda should get a mention among the greatest games ever. It was so far beyond its time it's just silly. Including an internal save feature was groundbreaking. Involving an epic quest that takes you across a large and varied map was awe-inspiring. I don't know if it was the first game to feature exploration to collect upgrades crucial to your survival, but it was the first one for me. It was the best the NES had to offer, and one of the best any system ever had to offer, and all in 1986.

erikramza
10-19-2011, 04:30 AM
Edit:
Grim Fandango. I didn't see this, but had to pay homage by at least quoting it. Very unique, as well as worthy selection. :cool:

Im going off of purr nostalgia value here, so bear with me...

Im caught between dragon warrior 7, symphony of the night, star ocean the second story, chrono trigger, valkyrie profile, fft, and xenogears. (God damn ps was the best system ever.)

After a tournament style coin flipping elimination BATTLE; it's looking like valkyrie profile came out on top over symphony.

This thread was eye opening, as I never tried to narrow my favorites to a single title (unless genre based). Never knew I hold so many games on a very equal level.

Loony BoB
10-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Final Fantasy VII. It just had everything I wanted in an RPG - good characters, enjoyable gameplay, minigames, many optional sidequests, I loved the materia system, it didn't have terrible voice acting (no voice acting > terrible voice acting)... I loved it.

Honourable mentions go to Uncharted 2, Civilization IV and Chuck Yeager Air Combat.

Pike
10-19-2011, 02:14 PM
The more I read this thread, the more I start to feel bad for not picking my favorite game as "the best" game. Ultimately there are (a few) things I would change about SMAC, so I feel like I can't choose it over a game I see as perfect for the title of "Best".

But I still feel bad, so I'm mentioning SMAC and pointing out that it's still one of the greatest games ever made. Also to be sure I don't drop my SMAC/X-Com post ratio down below 2.5%.

Slothy
10-19-2011, 05:31 PM
The more I read this thread, the more I start to feel bad for not picking my favorite game as "the best" game. Ultimately there are (a few) things I would change about SMAC, so I feel like I can't choose it over a game I see as perfect for the title of "Best".

But I still feel bad, so I'm mentioning SMAC and pointing out that it's still one of the greatest games ever made. Also to be sure I don't drop my SMAC/X-Com post ratio down below 2.5%.

SMAC may not be perfect, but I think the feeling of playing it is about as perfect as such a game can be without actually being perfect. And since I don't think we'll ever see a game that complex actually be perfect I'm keeping it in there with the likes of Portal.

Hollycat
10-19-2011, 05:59 PM
ET the game hands down

Pike
10-20-2011, 12:38 AM

SMAC may not be perfect, but I think the feeling of playing it is about as perfect as such a game can be without actually being perfect. And since I don't think we'll ever see a game that complex actually be perfect I'm keeping it in there with the likes of Portal.

That's actually a pretty good argument. And yeah, my first time was an experience like no other.

(that's what she said.)

Skyblade
10-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Definitely Chrono Trigger.

Quoted for truth.

Greatermaximus
10-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Do we take into account how old we are and what we understand about the game now. Here's something you might have seen.

The Top 10 Best / Greatest Video Games of All Time (http://www.filibustercartoons.com/games.htm)

I'd still stick with FFVI. I couldn't get that much into Link because it felt like you knew plots ahead of time. This may be generally true yet a personal preference on our part.

Reuben
11-04-2011, 07:57 PM
In my current period my best PS 3 game is Battlefield3 is which is most amazing and tremendous game is ever.this game has a real thriller of combat.awesome...

Skyblade
11-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Do we take into account how old we are and what we understand about the game now. Here's something you might have seen.

The Top 10 Best / Greatest Video Games of All Time (http://www.filibustercartoons.com/games.htm)

I'd still stick with FFVI. I couldn't get that much into Link because it felt like you knew plots ahead of time. This may be generally true yet a personal preference on our part.

I find it interesting that while it is not mentioned at all in the reviewer tallies, Chrono Trigger is listed as second place in all the reader's polls there.

It's nice to know that gamers recognize the awesomeness of that game, even if professional reviewers don't.

CimminyCricket
11-05-2011, 01:14 AM
Disgaea 2 <3 I really enjoyed this game a whole lot and I have more overall hours in this game than in any other.

DMKA
11-05-2011, 04:02 AM
Final Fantasy VII.

This is the correct answer.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is trying really hard to win my heart though.

Wolf Kanno
11-05-2011, 04:05 AM
It is a serious toss up between Chrono Trigger and Metal Gear Solid 3 for me. They are the closest thing to a flawless game I've ever really experienced.

Editga: On further reflection, I've decided that I need to add Mega Man 2 to this list.

Sefie1999AD
11-05-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't know about the best game, since I haven't played all of them. :p Probably StarCraft II or Grand Theft Auto IV. Maybe even Metal Gear Solid 4, though I've never played it myself.

As for my favorite game, the original Kingdom Hearts probably takes that award. Other games in my Top 5 are (in no particular order) Chrono Trigger, Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath, Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX, and I'd also give NHL 09 a special mention. :D

Tigmafuzz
11-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Difficult decision. FFVI and VII, Chrono Trigger, BoF3, MGS3, Suikoden 2...
I can't even decide from the ones that have already been posted, nonetheless out of all the games I've ever played.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/monkey_monkey_monkey_monkey_monkey/1224519457151.jpg
I concede.

GhandiOwnsYou
11-06-2011, 01:23 AM
I'm gonna have to go a little off the rails and cast a ballot for Startropics for NES. Its one of those games that i continually go back to. Granted its a bit dated, but then again, i doubt you'd see anyone try to hold that over the original Zelda or Mario. In a modern title, I'd have to hold FFVII, Portal 1 and 2, and Dark Souls in equal regard.

Zevinity
11-08-2011, 05:02 AM
Chrono Trigger

/Thread

I can pick up and play this game at any time, but it's starting to show its age. I'm patiently waiting for a remake or sequel, but that's just being optimistic.

Bubba
11-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Editga: On further reflection, I've decided that I need to add Mega Man 2 to this list.

An excellent choice, Mr Kanno. For the music alone it sits comfortably in my top ten.