PDA

View Full Version : Language-specific servers to be implemented

Loony BoB
10-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Thoughts on this?

I'm also very interested in what everyone wants when it comes to Fat Chocobos. Danielle and I agree that we enjoy being on a global server so we would like to keep Fat Chocobos on one of these. Despite not speaking the same language, we find the simple things about being on a global server can put a smile on our faces - for example, Danielle and a Japanese Miqote were gathering together yesterday and she got more conversation out of the Japanese girl (?) than we get from most English speaking people. :p I just find it adds to the community, I guess.

*Devore*
10-18-2011, 12:02 PM
I dont think I'm apart of the fat chocobos yet, but you should keep it on a global server. Meeting people from around the world is much more interesting, even if it is a bit tricky to understand some of them.

Loony BoB
10-18-2011, 12:17 PM
I've added you to my friends list on FFXIV but I haven't seen you online yet - what hours are you online?

Jiro
10-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Overcoming language barriers is far more enjoyable than dealing with punk ass english speakers. Gawd.

Del Murder
10-18-2011, 04:31 PM
I'd prefer to be on an international server based on my experience in FFXI. Japanese players are generally more polite and efficient at the game, making my experience better. I enjoyed partying with them over English speakers sometimes. Maybe they are still acting rude and cursing at me, but I can't read it so I didn't care! I do enjoy conversing with people in the game but I like to have the option.

*Devore*
10-18-2011, 09:49 PM
I've added you to my friends list on FFXIV but I haven't seen you online yet - what hours are you online?

Erm...weekdays, whenever I'm not busy. Usually sometime after 10pm but thats subject to change.

Im free on weekends atm

Loony BoB
10-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Which country?

Mirage
10-18-2011, 11:24 PM
I'd prefer to be on an international server based on my experience in FFXI. Japanese players are generally more polite and efficient at the game, making my experience better. I enjoyed partying with them over English speakers sometimes. Maybe they are still acting rude and cursing at me, but I can't read it so I didn't care! I do enjoy conversing with people in the game but I like to have the option.
Are you playing the same game as I am?

I've lost count of how many times i've seen japanese people refusing to team up for something that would be both faster and more rewarding with a teamup. Of course, this is also true for the rest of the game's population, I just don't find japanese players all that more efficient than the rest. At least not anymore.

The biggest difference between english and japanese players today is that japanese players use the (alleged) language barrier as an excuse to not even answer your questions, while english speaking people at least rudely turn your request down.

Miriel
10-19-2011, 12:37 AM
You know, I always heard about that kind of stuff in FFXI but I have never had first hand experience with it myself. Of course, you can't ever really know for sure if someone looks over you in favor of a Japanese player, but I've never been overtly dropped from a group for not being Japanese.

I've been in some really killer parties with Japanese players, which may be the reason why I seem to think of them as being generally put together. The really great parties stick out in your head, and you don't necessarily remember the mediocre ones. And plus, with the language barrier, you can't really tell when someone is saying completely idiotic things. :p

Del Murder
10-19-2011, 12:56 AM
Are you playing the same game as I am?

I've lost count of how many times i've seen japanese people refusing to team up for something that would be both faster and more rewarding with a teamup. Of course, this is also true for the rest of the game's population, I just don't find japanese players all that more efficient than the rest. At least not anymore.

The biggest difference between english and japanese players today is that japanese players use the (alleged) language barrier as an excuse to not even answer your questions, while english speaking people at least rudely turn your request down.
I have not yet played FFXIV. I was referring to when I played FFXI. During that time, I did not experience anything you described. I always found Japanese players to be helpful and efficient. They always responded to my requests for parties promptly even when turning me down. Maybe sometimes I got turned down for the {I don't speak any English} reason but I found that pefectly reasonable. There were some times where I didn't want to play in a jp party myself for that reason.

In general, though, I always found Japanese players willing to team up with me if we had the same goals in mind. There were even a few times in FFXI where I was the lone English player in a jp party, and many more times where I was in an all English speaking party with a lone Japanese member. On almost all those occasions I was impressed by the jp players. The auto-translate made things quite easy and I never really had issues with comminication.

nirojan
10-19-2011, 01:53 AM
I'm right there with Mirage, some of the Japanese players are total D*CKS! I've met one who was willing to team up for the behests missions at camp, but outside of that they're mostly solo'ers and nationalist douches who think they're being cute using the "language barrier". Of course, some of these people may genuinely not know any English, but I've walked around only to come back and see them talking feveratively in English to another player (actually happened to me in Ul'dan). Most English speaking players are pretty cool, answer my questions and help give me the run around of things. EVEN EUROPEAN PLAYERS have helped me out greatly in the past (when I was first starting out) and even though some of their English was broken it was far more enjoyable and atleast they're trying to help you out.

PS. I'm not saying the majority of the Japanese players are like that, but there are definitely some odd apples that ruin the immersive MMO experience. Don't get me wrong they're are plenty of english (-speaking) assh*les out there too, but in a game with such a large Japanese community, the Japanese players stick out the most when it comes to being rude and ignoring others.

Rostum
10-19-2011, 05:11 AM
I've had really good experiences and really bad experiences with Japanese people in FFXI. I don't think it's race specific though, because there's a lot of total dbags that speak English too. However, the Japanese that I do have trouble with tend to be extremely racist, to the point where it's generally worse than an English-speaking person's racial slurs.

As I said, on the other hand I ended up making really awesome friends with at least a handful of Japanese players on FFXI and the language barrier just made communication all the more cute. :)

Anyways, does not surprise me that they are doing language specific servers. The majority of the Japanese community before FFXIV was launched were petitioning for it. Most of them seem to not want to bother with the outside world.

Loony BoB
10-19-2011, 09:06 AM
The upside is that those Japanese players who are racist / chuck people out because they can't speak Japanese are not going to be the ones who opt towards an international server, so these problems shouldn't continue.

Mirage
10-19-2011, 11:20 AM
I was talking about FF11, del, not FF14. And my point wasn't "japanese players are worst", it was "japanese players are, on average, as bad as everyone else".

Jiro
10-19-2011, 12:42 PM
"Everyone sucks" is something I can get behind. There's a bad egg in every carton.

Loony BoB
10-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Where the hell do you buy your eggs? Mine are always fine.

Del Murder
10-19-2011, 06:17 PM
I was talking about FF11, del, not FF14. And my point wasn't "japanese players are worst", it was "japanese players are, on average, as bad as everyone else".
I guess it depends on your own experience. All I know is, I was much more likely to find a competent player if I invited a random 'J' to my party versus a random 'E', at least for missions and mid-level experience parties.

One thing that made the Japanese players stand out in my eyes was the fact that they seemed to be the only ones to use the Mission comments, which I utilized extensively as completeting missions was my main source of entertainment from the game.

Jiro
10-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Where the hell do you buy your eggs? Mine are always fine.

THIS IS LIKE THE THIRD EXAMPLE OF YOU BEING LITERAL WHEN EVERYONE ELSE IS BEING METAPHORICAL

Del Murder
10-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Only the third? How long have you been a member here, Jiro?

Jiro
10-20-2011, 02:44 AM
I meant to say this year.

Del Murder
10-20-2011, 06:43 AM
He'd still be well under quota.

Loony BoB
10-20-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't know why you're getting in a huge fuss, I'm just doing what I can to help you get a more satisfying feeling out of your grocery shopping experience.

Mirage
10-20-2011, 01:34 PM
I should report you all for going off topic!

Anyway, what I hope more than anything else is that the "english-only" servers will be located somewhere else than in japan. Generally, network latency from europe to Japan is terrible, but Europe to something like east coast USA is much more bearable.

Loony BoB
10-20-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm guessing you're going to an English-only server, then, Mirage?

From what I'm hearing from others discussing this, it's unlikely they will move the servers to different countries.

*Devore*
10-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Which country?

The great country of England.

Mirage
10-21-2011, 02:04 AM
I'm guessing you're going to an English-only server, then, Mirage?

From what I'm hearing from others discussing this, it's unlikely they will move the servers to different countries.

I will move to any server that will get me sub-200ms latency.

If all the servers still remain in Japanland, I probably won't care where I end up.

Regional servers also have the advantage of having some periods during the day where significantly fewer people play, allowing me to do things without as much interruption or competition if I log on at unusual hours.