PDA

View Full Version : What are the best PS3 RPGs?

Tarshish
10-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Sooo, I am not up on games to play. I haven't had a lot of time to play RPGs and tthat's a shame really. I played a lot of games in high school and college. I loved Final Fantasy (thus how I found this site), Chrono Trigger/Chross, Xenogears, Grandia etc. Well I want to play an rpg for the PS3. I've been looking at FFXIII, but it all the reviews seem to say "oh! it's too linear." and so forth. My brother recommended Elder Scrolls, and I just didn't like it. I guess I want a turn based more Japanese style RPG. I've been playing the old games on PSN (VII, IX), but I think eventually I need to stop playing games that are 10-15 years old. lol Is XIII good? Are there other RPGs which are top notch that I should check out? :kakapo: I just wanted to put that thing in there. Sorry... It kept staring at me.

Mirage
10-21-2011, 02:18 PM
There really aren't any super good japanese-style RPGs for the PS3. There are a few all right ones though, I guess. Maybe. Actually now that I have to think about it, I can't really come up with any suggestions.

Valkyria Chronicles, maybe, if you like SRPGs. Or Disgaea 3.

Rocket Edge
10-21-2011, 02:23 PM
To my knowledge there is no turn based RPG's out there at the moment (aside from FFXIII & Valkyria Chronicles), but I'm more than likely wrong. I too didn't find Elder Scrolls to my liking. The gameplay was boring as hell.

FFXIII is apples & oranges to everyone. I personally hated the game. I literally could not bring myself past the 7th chapter for fear I would fall asleep out of boredom. Believe me when I say however, the game really is THAT linear, & you have no say In anything throughout the course of the game (in fact it isn't an RPG).

Give Dragon Age 1 & 2 a go. They are solid RPG's, & both are for PS3. It isn't turn based, but the gameplay & storyline is immersive, and you have total control over how the ending will turn out. I'm sure there are more, but I just don't know about them.

Jiro
10-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Enchanted Arms is close, I suppose. It's an alright game. You also have Eternal Sonata, which is a pretty sweet game. If you liked FF12 then White Knight Chronicles could be for you. Get the second one; it has the entire first game as well.

And now for something completely different - Resonance of Fate. It's interesting, and atypical, and so you might want to look it up if you're not familiar.

Mirage
10-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Oh i forgot resonance of fate. it is a game that I liked a lot. It is japanese, and it is a RPG, but it doesn't really play like typical jrpgs.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-21-2011, 05:00 PM
This may not be what you're looking for, but on the PSN there's a charming downloadable game called Costume Quest with turn-based battles based around a number of Halloween costumes that you can use for different attacks and powers. You can also equip badges which boost your stats and stuff. If you like it, there's some DLC called Grubbins on Ice which extends the gameplay.

Tarshish
10-21-2011, 05:41 PM
So it looks fairly bleak. What happened in the last ten years? Are these types of games just not popular anymore? It seems like most RPGs are just knockoffs of WoW (which I just don't understand. I found it tedious and not fun). If I expand my scope what are the best JRPGS of the last ten years (including PS2)?

Mirage
10-21-2011, 05:48 PM
They are not as popular, and the ones that have been made aren't as good as they could have been. I do not understand what you mean by "knockoff of WoW" though, at least not for offline RPGs. And there are plenty of good japanese RPGs around made in the 10 last years, just not for PS3.

As much as I hate the term "JRPG", I guess you could check out Persona 3 and 4, Radiata Stories, Valkyrie Profile 2.

Wolf Kanno
10-21-2011, 06:33 PM
If you don't mind old-school arcade difficulty, I would suggest Demon's Souls which is an action RPG but with a pretty creapy narrative and nasty difficulty. It is probably the only PS3 JRPG I love, though it really doesn't feel like a JRPG to me. Valkyria Chronicles is a good SRPG hindered by a terrible plot, and drowning in anti-war cliches. I could never get into White Knight Chronicles, outside of the combo system, the battle system is really boring, even the White Knight is pretty boring to use. It's only a shame cause I just got through playing Level 5's DQVIII collaboration and that game was way more fun and involving. Disgaea 3 and 4 are pretty awesome, though I like Disgaea 4's plot and cast much better.

If you are looking for old school JRPGs for the PS3, you are pretty much out of luck. Eternal Sonata and Enchanted Arms are your best bet and their kind of meh. FFXIII is a terrible game, I seriously can't recommend it. It really is the most awful game I've played in years. Honestly... just go on the PSN store and just purchase some of the old school PS1 games or pick up the now discounted PS2 RPGs from Gamestop or something.

Bolivar
10-21-2011, 08:56 PM
The general sentiment is that Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls are the best RPGs on the PS3. The former revolutionized the SRPG and the latter is a really awesome, really creepy, action RPG with a very old school vibe to it. As Wolf stated, the story in Valkyria Chronicles is kind of slow in the beginning, but the gameplay is absolutely excellent and the narrative does suck you in eventually.

Of course, you could never go wrong with Disgaea games. It seems like you know what you're paying for, and from what I've heard they've been just as great as the older ones.

White Knight Chronicles is one of the most classic RPGs you could find on the system. You explore towns, talk to people, buy stuff from shops, pick up side quests, explore environments, and fight baddies. The plot is very typical JRPG stuff, but it never really pushes the envelop or make you think it's a great story. Also, the fighting/exploring can drag on a bit long towards the end of the game. The customization is excellent, though, so the combat can be a lot of fun when paced properly. One of the big draws is the online multiplayer, which lets you take your custom character online, meet other players in their custom-built towns and do side quests with them (or a friend). I had an awesome time playing some of them. The only problem is there's only a few starting out, you're not really high enough level for the bulk of them until the end of the game and by that point you might be tired of the combat. But the ability to make your own town (called Georama) makes it pretty addicting. It's easy to make the basic stuff, but to really expand it and make it a really cool place, you have to get out there and forage for the slightly more uncommon items from resources and enemies. It's actually really cool and gets you charged to get out there and play. So White Knight Chronicles is a mixed bag, but for any fan of traditional RPGs who has a PS3, I would say it's a must have.

This may not be what you want to hear, but the PlayStation Store available through PSN on PSP/PS3 is growing to be a very nice resource for RPGs. I've beaten Final Fantasy VII and Xenogears, and have files on FFVIII and FFTactics as well, which each are only $9.99. I also want to check out Arc the Lad, a really cool PSOne SRPG series, which are only about $5-10. I know they're PSOne classics, and from what you've said you probably own a lot of these games already, but it's a really awesome resource for what you've missed. Whoever works at Sony/Square Enix for putting content up there must be a huge RPG nerd because there's a lot of awesome stuff from Square up there.

Lastly, I haven't talked about FFXIII and I really won't say much about it. If you're a FF fan, you have to play it, and hell, you might actually like it. A lot of us on here did, as did I. But I would go with some of the other games first because they're actually really good.

Kenshin IV
10-22-2011, 09:28 AM
If you're looking exclusively for a JRPG on the PS3, the best on the system -- as well as on the current generation -- is Valkyira Chronicles. I don't believe Tales of Vesperia (terrific game) came out over here on the PS3, but Tales of Graces F will be, and eventually Tales of Xillia will be as well. I've heard great things about the former, and I'm sure the latter will be at least worth checking out. And, while it's certainly not a RPG, Catherine is a very solid game with a fantastic story. It's also made by the Persona crew.

My other suggestion would be to broaden your tastes a bit, as there are some fantastic western RPGs out there as well. Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games of the current gen, and if you're into the whole medieval thing, and not much for the futuristic setting, the first Dragon Age is really good, too (just stay away from Dragon Age II -- far, far away). Also, The Elder Scrolls games and Fallout 3 are pretty addicting (though extremely time consuming).

EDIT: Oh, I completely forgot. Despite the goofy name, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are terrific JRPGs... However, the catch is that both games play like western RPGs and are two of the hardest games in the post-2D era. So I'd say rent first before you commit to those.

Tarshish
10-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for all the ideas! I have about a two week window from graduation until I have to start (really) studying for the bar exam. I feel I'm going to need some serious me time, and these along with Skyward Sword should do exactly the trick. I'm also looking into PS1 and PS2 rpgs that I didn't play. There are quite a few. I could always go back and play Chrono Cross again. I don't think I've played that since it came out. Once again, thanks guys.

Loony BoB
10-22-2011, 11:59 PM
If you can get a cheap copy of FFXIII then it's worth a shot. Many people out there don't like it but then again, there are a lot - myself included - that really enjoyed the game. You never know, you could be one of those that enjoys it, too, and you shouldn't let other people tell you that you won't. It's definitely one of the "bigger" JRPGs on the PS3, and a quick check on eBay says that you can get it pretty cheap right now. If you don't enjoy it, so be it, but hey, you never know until you try. I think it might come down to how seriously you take your video games... most of the people I know that really didn't like it seem to take their video games very seriously. I game a hell of a lot, but I'm also very laid back about it, so I can find enjoyment in things a little easier than most, maybe. :)

Of the other games on the PS3, I've not really come across anything "must have", but I will echo the mentions of PSN having some quality stuff on it.

VeloZer0
10-23-2011, 12:24 AM
Seeing everyone recommend PSN PS1 titles as the PS3's best RPGs is starting to get a little depressing...

ljkkjlcm9
10-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Seeing everyone recommend PSN PS1 titles as the PS3's best RPGs is starting to get a little depressing...
It would be... if 360 or Wii had much to choose from either. There are only a handful on each system.
JRPG's are really a dying breed on home consoles. Portables are the way to go for them these days.

THE JACKEL

Dignified Pauper
10-23-2011, 12:36 AM
Dark Souls - 'nuff said.

Wolf Kanno
10-23-2011, 05:42 AM
It would be... if 360 or Wii had much to choose from either. There are only a handful on each system.
JRPG's are really a dying breed on home consoles. Portables are the way to go for them these days.

THE JACKEL

Pretty much, the 360 got some JRPG love at the start of the console generation, but its the 360... and the Wii is finally getting some gold but that pretty much only matters to Japan and PAL regions cause NoA is run by idiots who hate their fans. The DS and PSP on the other hand has a treasure trove of great JRPGs. I think big budget JRPG console titles will be few and far between, the genre has gone back to being a niche and the love affair is over it seems.

Jiro
10-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Star Ocean: The Last Hope (International?) is on PS3 iirc. A possibility, perhaps.

Mirage
10-23-2011, 01:28 PM
He asked for good RPGs.

Jiro
10-23-2011, 01:31 PM
True. But it's a JRPG on PS3. 2/3 criteria ain't half bad, right? :monster:

Mirage
10-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Well of course it isn't half bad, it is 1/3rd bad.

NeoCracker
10-23-2011, 03:25 PM
And let us not forget Atelier Totori, Atelier Rorona, Trinity Univers, and Hyper Dimension Neptunia.

Last Rebelion had potenitial Story wise as so ridiculous (Yet they tried to take it seriously) that it was funny, but the gameplay was repetative as hell. Unique though, so they get credit.

Mirage
10-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Yes, let us absolutely forget Hyperdimension Neptunia.

Bolivar
10-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Mana Khemia's another!

But I third Jackel & Wolf's statements that there's a lot of original JRPG classics this generation, they're just on handhelds. With the expectations of what an HD game is supposed to be, JRPGs don't really hit the key spots to make a classic game. The biggest factor may be team size. FFXIII is the perfect example of how a bloated team, where no one knew what they wanted, lead to a mediocre idea being expounded upon into a full game. Smaller teams let you have that awesome vision and make it happen.

I also find it interesting you'll be studying for the bar, OP, I will be too this year, I just prefer not to think about it at all for as long as I can...

NeoCracker
10-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Yes, let us absolutely forget Hyperdimension Neptunia.

That game was so cheesy and over the top though, I loved it beginning to end. :p

So to quote white heart, 'Stop talkin' all that shit out your ass!"

Tarshish
10-25-2011, 03:35 AM
I also find it interesting you'll be studying for the bar, OP, I will be too this year, I just prefer not to think about it at all for as long as I can...

I'm graduating in December, so the February bar is right around the corner. It's about to get real. I know I'm going to need some relaxing before it hits. Especially after a semester with both business associations and secured transactions. Speaking of which, I've got to get back to studying for a secured mid term.

Bolivar
10-25-2011, 05:30 AM
Secured transactions sounds insane (jealous you guys have mid terms, it's all the traditional law school finals over here), I took business organizations and loved it... it might've been because I had a good professor, but it really dispelled a lot of the myths or misconceptions about corporations that a lot of the trendy hipsters have... although i've heard that class can go either way.

In this case you might want to stick with what you know and revisit an older RPG you know you love and enjoy it again. It sounds like this might be one of your last times to chill and have some "me time" for a while, so you might want to do that.

BG-57
10-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Dragon Age is great as already mentioned. Tremendous flexibility for character design and interactions and a complex involving story.

FFXIII is visually stunning with a few great characters as well as some appalling amounts of linearity and restricted gameplay for the first two thirds of the game. Great for fans of delayed gratification.

I'm playing Ar Tonelico Qoga and I like it despite its numerous flaws. It's got an often juvenile sense of humor with a heavy emphasis on fanservice (female characters boost song magic by losing clothing although the male characters do as well when executing ultimate supermoves). Despite this the premise is interesting, the music is great, and the world design is neat. The characters are recognizable out of any anime, but relatable.

It's basically an RPG crossed with a dating sim. There are two main female characters the hero can interact with and Dive into their minds to unlock new powers, song magic and alternate personalities. Depending on player choices, it's possible to obtain multiple endings with them or even hook up with another character or two.

I enjoyed it enough to look up the first two Ar Tonelico games for the PS2. They might be a better place to start for this game series frankly. AT1 has the same basic scenario but with a lot less fanservice.

Del Murder
10-31-2011, 05:50 PM
What is the combat like in Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls? When I see videos of Elder Scrolls it shows both third person and first person perspectives. Do you fight in third person or first person mode? What non-RPGs are these games most like? I'm kind of new to the open world RPG scene. I've usually only played fairly linear JRPGs but I'd like to branch out since this appears to be what they make these days.

NeoCracker
10-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Dragon Age is more turn based then it first looks at first glance. If anything, it's a slightly more action oriented FF XII with a less detail oriented Gambit, and the game is entirely third person. You can switch between all your party members.

It keeps tabs on Range and and area for area of effect and what not. If you want to keep more in lines of JRPG's, this is the closest you'll get from the more open world games.

And I honestly don't know how to compare games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout's to different Genre's, so you'll need to defer to some one else in that regard.

CimminyCricket
10-31-2011, 06:38 PM
What is the combat like in Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls? When I see videos of Elder Scrolls it shows both third person and first person perspectives. Do you fight in third person or first person mode? What non-RPGs are these games most like? I'm kind of new to the open world RPG scene. I've usually only played fairly linear JRPGs but I'd like to branch out since this appears to be what they make these days.

You can choose first person or third person on the fly in TES. I would call them FPAARP (First Person Action Adventure Role Playing) games. TES is Fantasy and Fallout is kind of science fictiony post apocalypse. I don't really know too much about them seeing as I really played one (bought TESIV in highschool and quit my job soon after). As far as comparison to games that aren't RPGs, TES is a really detailed medievil GTA. xD Hope I helped.

Also, best PS3 RPGs= Disgaea 3-4!! <3 and also TES IV.