PDA

View Full Version : Pandas? In MY WoW? It's more likely than you think!

Pike
10-21-2011, 08:20 PM
So Mists of Pandaria has just been officially confirmed as the next WoW expansion. What we know so far:

Level cap raised to 90
Pandaria is the new continent
Pandaren are playable and will be available to both Alliance and Horde
New Monk class
Some sort of Pokemon-style "pet battles"
Expansion will focus less on big bad villains and more on Alliance vs. Horde

Okay I'm not the biggest WoW player in the world right now and I let my account expire for a good six or seven months or so before recently buying a month so I can be casual as smurf on alts. But, I like the sounds of things already. I know 99% of the world is mad about pandas right now for some reason, but I freaking love this idea. Can't wait to be a panda and smash your face in with a barrel of ale :jess:

EDIT: Website is up. (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/)

starlet
10-21-2011, 11:51 PM
I see someone beat me to it. I've been clean for over a year and DAMMIT I DONT WANNA GO BACK BUT THEY KEEP ADDING COOL NEW STUFF THAT I WANNA BE A PART OF....I hate you Blizzard, I fucking hate you!

Madame Adequate
10-22-2011, 01:47 AM
Honestly most of what I see so far is pretty WAT and I'm really not sure how I feel about it. However, Pandas and New Class? I'm okay with these!

Freya
10-22-2011, 02:01 AM
I almost feel like this is a joke. I mean Pokemon and panda warriors in my WoW? This HAS to be a joke. I mean I know the whole pandarian thing was a joke thing in WC3 but... pokemon too?

VeloZer0
10-22-2011, 05:59 AM
They already posted Pandaran Brewmaster as a new class one April Fools. So I am having a hard time taking this seriously atm. I don't even think they have killed Deathwing yet, so it is a little early to be announcing expansions.

Rostum
10-22-2011, 06:19 AM
I don't get why people get so up tight with pandas being in WoW. Most of them seem to be guys that are way uncomfortable with their sexuality that they have to call it "gay" or "kiddie".

FFXI had a Pokemon-styled mechanic where you could catch monsters and pit them against other player's monsters in a colosseum. Despite it not being the most sort after activity in the game, it was done really well and was a lot of fun if you invested your time in it.

I don't know if I'll play WoW again, but it sounds like a cool expansion.

Freya
10-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Actually VeloZero, for the past 3 expansions they've taken roughly 28 months to announce a new expansion. Meaning, it's perfectly timed.

Kyros
10-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Its about time they plan on bringing in the pandarins!!!! Theyve been in warcraft for forever just not in WoW >.<

Jiro
10-22-2011, 11:37 AM
I fucking love pandas

Rostum
10-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I smurfing love pandas

Not just pandas, KUNG-fucking-FU pandas.

Skyblade
10-22-2011, 05:46 PM
I smurfing love pandas

Not just pandas, KUNG-smurfing-FU pandas.

Interesting how the idea for that movie was "conceived" at almost the exact same time WCIII: TFT (and thus, the Panderan Brewmaster) came out, isn't it?

Freya
10-22-2011, 06:01 PM
I CHOOSE YOU WOLPERTINGER! *no one sees but me*

I'm excited for pokemon in my WoW. I love WoW and Pokemon. It only makes sense

Araciel
10-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Star ... Wars...

Pike
10-22-2011, 10:49 PM

Ahahaha I didn't think about that, that's great.

I'm trying to think of the "rarest" minipet I have. I think I can probably narrow it down to one of three:

Spirit of Competition - Some sort of event related to the Olympics in mid-2008, has since been retired
Vampiric Batling - Dropped from a special Karazhan boss during the Zombie Invasion event in late 2008, since retired
Grunty - Blizzcon 2009 livestream pet, since retired

Skyblade
10-23-2011, 07:06 AM

I'm trying to think of the "rarest" minipet I have. I think I can probably narrow it down to one of three:

Spirit of Competition - Some sort of event related to the Olympics in mid-2008, has since been retired
Vampiric Batling - Dropped from a special Karazhan boss during the Zombie Invasion event in late 2008, since retired

Mini-Diablo, Panda Cub, and Zergling are undoubtedly mine. Thought I have plenty of others, including all three of yours. I love me my pets. :)

I got Thunderfury today! 4 years of farming Geddon finally pays off! The day I finally resubscribed after 6-8 months of a cancelled account.

m4tt
10-23-2011, 07:10 AM
I let my account expire in may after 5 years of WoW.. mainly due to lack of time to play. As cool as this looks I will still probably keep my account inactive.

They already posted Pandaran Brewmaster as a new class one April Fools. So I am having a hard time taking this seriously atm. I don't even think they have killed Deathwing yet, so it is a little early to be announcing expansions.

They've pretty much devoted blizzcon this weekend to this expansion, it's not a joke.

Shlup
10-23-2011, 07:13 AM
WoW has been after me for years, but they've really got me pegged this time. Bastards.

VeloZer0
10-23-2011, 03:58 PM
After years of getting the upper hand on people by pre-emotively calling out Blizzard announcements as jokes I am finally fooled myself.

In all honesty this won't affect my desire to play in the least. I love the game, but none of my friends play anymore and I don't have any spare time to devote to it.

Pike
10-24-2011, 12:05 AM
In all honesty this won't affect my desire to play in the least. I love the game, but none of my friends play anymore and I don't have any spare time to devote to it.

I feel pretty similarly. Plus I lost all interest in raiding and heroics about halfway into WotLK and ever since then the only thing I find interesting about the game is messing around on an alt every so often. Which sometimes is and sometimes isn't worth the $15/month for me so my WoW sub has been pretty on and off for a good year or so now. I love the panda idea but I doubt it will bring me back to WoW full-time. That's okay; I've got other stuff to play.

I miss Burning Crusade

Freya
10-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Yeah I haven't even played Cata and I use to be so into WoW. Blizzcon and all! BUT I like bullshitting around and WoW Pokemon style seems like the perfect way to goof around with!.

VeloZer0
10-24-2011, 01:57 AM
And how long until the Pokemon scene is completely overrun with people who put way to much time into it. ;)

For me $15 a month is nothing, it's about the cheapest form of recreation going. I just have trouble doing things in moderation, it is either all or nothing.

Freya
10-24-2011, 03:04 AM
I will be one of those people.

Laddy
10-25-2011, 12:43 AM
This sounds interesting and I hate WoW.

Renmiri
10-25-2011, 05:39 AM

Celestial Dragon (http://www.wowhead.com/item=54810) :D:D:D

I think this move reeks of desperation, after losing 1 million subscribers they were pulling at straws and an old april fools joke turned into the new expansion. We will see...

Peegee
10-25-2011, 04:46 PM
There's already another wow thread I replied to but...since this is about the new expansion, I give you:

POKEMON

http://i53.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2nw1sbd.jpg

*facepalm*

Araciel
10-30-2011, 03:39 PM
There's already another wow thread I replied to but...since this is about the new expansion, I give you:

POKEMON

http://i53.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2nw1sbd.jpg

*facepalm*

Yo dawg... we herd you like games and games so we put a game in yo game so you can game while you game..

with pokeymans

Pike
10-30-2011, 04:24 PM

Celestial Dragon (http://www.wowhead.com/item=54810) :D:D:D

I think this move reeks of desperation, after losing 1 million subscribers they were pulling at straws and an old april fools joke turned into the new expansion. We will see...

I just remembered I also have a Clockwork Rocket Bot from Christmas 2007 (I think that was the year?) And a Warbot from that Mountain Dew promotion thing.

I used to collect a lot of the pets but after a while I sort of stopped caring. xD

VeloZer0
10-30-2011, 04:59 PM
If they are really after a Pokemon copy they are going to have to make all the super rare one time BoP pets trade-able. Maybe they can even make up some sort of duel betting interface. Both sides put their stuff in a pot and whoever wins gets it.

Because I can guarantee you that one time only acquireable pets will not be the most powerful. Blizzard will make the most powerful pets ones that you need to sink a whole lot of time into to acquire.

Pike
10-30-2011, 05:15 PM
If they are really after a Pokemon copy they are going to have to make all the super rare one time BoP pets trade-able. Maybe they can even make up some sort of duel betting interface. Both sides put their stuff in a pot and whoever wins gets it.

Because I can guarantee you that one time only acquireable pets will not be the most powerful. Blizzard will make the most powerful pets ones that you need to sink a whole lot of time into to acquire.

From what I understand pets will be randomly given stats, so no two of the same pet will exactly alike... this is all subject to change, of course.

VeloZer0
10-30-2011, 05:40 PM
There is going to be some incentive to invest a whole bunch of time in them, time sinks are what the game is designed around. It's only the best ones that you don't even notice until you are caught in their web. ;)

Rostum
10-31-2011, 12:50 AM

They already officially said that they made this move to tap further in to the asian markets. Nothing desperate about that, it's a western developers dream to make a huge impact on the asian markets, simply because of the huge potential and difficulty it requires to achieve such things.

VeloZer0
10-31-2011, 01:08 AM

They already officially said that they made this move to tap further in to the asian markets. Nothing desperate about that, it's a western developers dream to make a huge impact on the asian markets, simply because of the huge potential and difficulty it requires to achieve such things.
Personally I think a company that lost 1 million subscribers and yet is still 8 million ahead of the next nearest competitor should be very worried.

Skyblade
10-31-2011, 04:44 AM

Really? I missed that. I seem to recall their reason given as "it is the single most requested feature by the fans since the launch of WoW". Which it was.