PDA

View Full Version : EX Mode and EX Burst Name References

TwilightLord
10-22-2011, 03:43 PM
This is just a little fun thing for me to do. I'm going to explain all the references to previous Final Fantasy games in the names of the characters' EX Modes/Bursts, for those who didn't play the earlier games.

Warrior of Light (Final Fantasy I)
EX Mode: Class Change
EX Burst: Oversoul
Description: In Final Fantasy I, completing a certain sidequest will result in your party getting a class change, essentially upgrading to a more powerful version of said class. Fighter became Knight, Black Mage became Black Wizard, Thief became Ninja, etc. etc. "Oversoul" doesn't relate to anything specific from FFI, and seems to be just a term for becoming more powerful temporarily.

Garland (Final Fantasy I)
EX Burst: Soul of Chaos
Description: Garland, in the original FFI, summons Chaos to do battle with the four heroes. The name might refer to him channelling or being possessed by Chaos.

Firion (Final Fantasy II)
EX Mode: Blood Weapon Equipped
EX Burst: Fervid Blazer
Description: The EX Mode references the Blood Sword, also known as Drainer, Drain Sword or Drain, which is the best weapon to use when fighting the Emperor in Final Fantasy II. I don't think Fervid Blazer is a reference to anything.

Emperor (Final Fantasy II)
EX Mode: Power of Hellfire
EX Burst: Absolute Dominion
Description: "Power of Hellfire" refers to his EX Mode causing him to take the form of the Emperor of Hell, the form he also took when faced as a final boss in FFII. "Absolute Dominion" I think just refers to his status as an Emperor.

Onion Knight (Final Fantasy III)
EX Mode: Job Change
EX Burst: Ninjutsu (Ninja mode) or Spellbook (Sage mode)
Description: Final Fantasy III featured classes or "jobs" that the characters could become, depending on the wishes of the player. Onion Knight is changing his job to either a Ninja or a Sage, depending on whether the EX Burst is started with a physical or magic attack. In Ninja mode, choose Throw > Shuriken to have him follow up with Back Attack; in Sage mode, choose Magic > Holy to have him follow up with Meteor. All are attacks used by those classes in the original FFIII.

Cloud of Darkness (Final Fantasy III)
EX Mode: Flood of Darkness
EX Burst: Ultra Particle Beam
Description: Flood of Darkness probably refers to Cloud of Darkness's wish (in the original FFIII) to return the world to a state of nothingness. It has an attack called Particle Beam in the original FFIII, so Ultra Particle Beam is probably a more powerful version of that.

Cecil Harvey (Final Fantasy IV)
EX Mode: Job Augment
EX Burst: Soul Shift
Description: In FFIV, Cecil starts out as a Dark Knight, but can become a Paladin later on, depending on the player's actions. Dissidia reflects this by giving him two forms, a dark form (representing him as a Dark Knight) and a light form (representing him as a Paladin). The EX Burst has him switch from one form to the other, hence "Soul Shift". I'm not entirely sure what Job Augment is supposed to mean, I think it just means that he acquired all the skills/abilities in his job/class.

Golbez (Final Fantasy IV)
EX Mode: Summon Shadow Dragon
EX Burst: Twin Moon
Description: The Shadow Dragon was a creature summoned by Golbez during a fight with him in FFIV. The name of the EX Burst refers to the two moons orbiting Earth in FFIV, the Red Moon and the True Moon.

Bartz Klauser (Final Fantasy V)
EX Mode: Job Mastered
EX Burst: Spellblade-Dual Wield-Rapid Fire
Description: The name of the EX Burst refers to a popular Game Breaking strategy with Bartz, involving making Bartz a Mime or a Freelancer, allowing you to use the Spellblade, Dual Wield and Rapid Fire abilities to make battles a lot easier. In Dissidia 012, his EX Burst is called Master Mime, but it's the same basic attack.

Exdeath (Final Fantasy V)
EX Mode: Power of the Void
EX Burst: The laws of the universe mean nothing!
Description: Exdeath uses the power of the Void in FFV. I think the name of his EX Burst might be a line he says in FFV, but I can't confirm this. In Dissidia 012, his EX Burst is also called Power of the Void.

Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI)
EX Mode: Trance
EX Burst: Riot Blade
Description: Trance, also known as Morph, is Terra's special ability in FFVI that causes her to turn into her Esper form. Riot Blade is Terra's Desperation Attack from that game.

Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI)
EX Mode: Power of Destruction
EX Burst: Warring Triad
Description: "Power of Destruction" refers to Kefka's wish to destroy everything. The Warring Triad are the gods of Magic, which Kefka takes control of in FFVI.

Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII)
EX Mode: Ultima Weapon Equipped or The Power of Mako
EX Burst: Omnislash
Description: Ultima Weapon is Cloud's ultimate weapon in FFVII. "The Power of Mako" refers to the fact that Cloud, like all SOLDIERs, was infused with Mako energy. Omnislash is his Level 4 Limit Break in FFVII.

Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)
EX Mode: Reunion
EX Burst: Super Nova
Description: Reunion refers to Sephiroth's goal of uniting all the Jenova cells into one entity, "reuniting" with his "mother". Super Nova is the name of an attack Safer Sephiroth uses in FFVII.

Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII)
EX Mode: Lion Heart Equipped
EX Burst: Renzokuken
Description: Lion Heart is Squall's ultimate weapon in FFVIII, which teaches him the Lion Heart Limit Break. Renzokuken is the collective name for his Limit Breaks, translating as Continual Sword, Sequential Sword or Serial Sword.

Ultimecia (Final Fantasy VIII)
EX Mode: Junction Griever
EX Burst: Time Compression
Description: In FFVIII, Ultimecia creates a Guardian Force called Griever, based on Squall's crest, and junctions herself to it before the final battle with her. Time Compression is the ability she used to try to change the course of time, space and destiny in FFVIII.

Zidane Tribal (Final Fantasy IX)
EX Burst: Reverse Gaia
Description: Trance is a powered-up state in FFIX. Reverse Gaia might refer to Zidane originally being from Terra, but his home being on Gaia.

Kuja (Final Fantasy IX)
EX Burst: Final Requiem
Description: Trance is the same as for Zidane - Kuja achieves Trance in FFIX after a battle with him near the end of the game. Final Requiem probably refers to his love of music and arts, as a requiem is a type of music.

Tidus (Final Fantasy X)
EX Mode: Caladbolg Equipped
EX Burst: Blitz Ace
Description: Caladbolg is Tidus's Celestial Weapon in FFX. Blitz Ace is his strongest Overdrive.

Jecht (Final Fantasy X)
EX Mode: Final Aeon
EX Burst: Blitz King
Description: Jecht becomes Braska's Final Aeon towards the end of FFX. Blitz King is his own version of Blitz Ace, and resembles the Ultimate Jecht Shot move he uses in battle with him in FFX.

Shantotto (Final Fantasy XI)
EX Mode: Two-Hour Ability
EX Burst: Skillchain: Fusion
Description: Two-Hour Abilities are FFXI's version of Limit Breaks. A Skillchain is triggered by two characters performing a Weapon skill in quick succession. This enabled them to cast a spell, which, if timed right, will result in a Magic Burst.

Gabranth (Final Fantasy XII)
EX Mode: Mist
EX Burst: Quickening
Description: Mist is used by the characters of FFXII to perform Quickenings, which are that game's version of Limit Breaks. Gabranth uses slightly different versions of Basch's Quickenings from FFXII, finishing (if performed correctly) with Black Hole, the most powerful Concurrence from FFXII.

Kain Highwind (Final Fantasy IV)
EX Mode: Holy Strength
EX Burst: Dragoon's Pride
Description: Kain is a Dragoon in FFIV and dislikes the Dark Knight class.

Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy V and others)
EX Mode: Gilgamesh Morphing Time
EX Burst: Strongest Sword
Description: His EX Mode is a reference to a line he says before a battle with him in FFV. "For Gilgamesh... it is morphing time!" His EX Burst refers to his search for the strongest sword, Excalibur.

Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy VII)
EX Mode: Premium Heart Equipped
EX Burst: Final Heaven
Description: Premium Heart is Tifa's ultimate weapon in FFVII. Final Heaven is her Level 4 Limit Break.

Laguna Loire (Final Fantasy VIII)
EX Mode: Look, the faeries are here!
EX Burst: Desperado
Description: Desperado is his Limit Break from FFVIII. The reference to faeries has me stumped, however.

Yuna (Final Fantasy X)
EX Mode: Grand Summon
EX Burst: To the Farplane
Description: Grand Summon is Yuna's Overdrive from FFX. To the Farplane refers to a summoner's job to send departed souls to the Farplane.

Prishe (Final Fantasy XI)
EX Burst: The Five Lights
Description: I'm not entirely sure where this comes from, to be honest. It might be original.

Vaan (Final Fantasy XII)
EX Mode: Obtained all Licenses!
EX Burst: Quickening
Description: Licenses are what allow the characters to perform abilities, use equipment, and do pretty much everything in FFXII.

Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII)
EX Mode: Omega Weapon Equipped
EX Burst: Gestalt Drive
Description: Omega Weapon is a Gunblade from FFXIII. Gestalt Mode is an ability used with Eidolons in FFXIII that allows the summoner to ride the Eidolon.

Feral Chaos
EX Mode: The power of discord reveals the true Chaos
EX Burst: Regnum Dei
Description: The EX Mode is self-explanatory. Regnum Dei is Latin for Kingdom of God, referring to Chaos's status as a god.

Mercen-X
10-22-2011, 08:06 PM

EX Burst: Fervid Blazer

EX Burst: Reverse Gaia

EX Burst: Final Requiem

Yeah... don't think Oversoul references anything from FFI, but I think it was mentioned in FFX.

I have no idea what the Fervid Blazer is.

Reverse Gaia... makes absolutely no sense.

Requiem is also a stage of mourning (with music) in a memorial service or funeral.

Just something stupid as you expect brain-fried Laguna to say.

Never played XI so I shouldn't even try.

Wolf Kanno
10-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Warrior of Light (Final Fantasy I)
Description: In Final Fantasy I, completing a certain sidequest will result in your party getting a class change, essentially upgrading to a more powerful version of said class. Fighter became Knight, Black Mage became Black Wizard, Thief became Ninja, etc. etc. "Oversoul" doesn't relate to anything specific from FFI, and seems to be just a term for becoming more powerful temporarily.

Oversoul is most likely a reference to FFX, as enemies in the game could go into an "Oversoul" mode that made them stronger.

Garland (Final Fantasy I)
EX Burst: Soul of Chaos
Description: Garland, in the original FFI, summons Chaos to do battle with the four heroes. The name might refer to him channelling or being possessed by Chaos.

Technically, Garland is Chaos, so its simply just referencing that fact.

Emperor (Final Fantasy II)
EX Mode: Power of Hellfire
EX Burst: Absolute Dominion
Description: "Power of Hellfire" refers to his EX Mode causing him to take the form of the Emperor of Hell, the form he also took when faced as a final boss in FFII. "Absolute Dominion" I think just refers to his status as an Emperor.

Extra fun fact, the reason Emperor has the bloodsword ability as well is because his physical attacks have the drain property as well. Also, if you screw up his EX-Burst he does Cyclone instead which is a reference to his power to create cyclones like the one he used to hide his fortress and destroy towns with.

Onion Knight (Final Fantasy III)
EX Mode: Job Change
EX Burst: Ninjutsu (Ninja mode) or Spellbook (Sage mode)
Description: Final Fantasy III featured classes or "jobs" that the characters could become, depending on the wishes of the player. Onion Knight is changing his job to either a Ninja or a Sage, depending on whether the EX Burst is started with a physical or magic attack. In Ninja mode, choose Throw > Shuriken to have him follow up with Back Attack; in Sage mode, choose Magic > Holy to have him follow up with Meteor. All are attacks used by those classes in the original FFIII.

The other interesting references is that Holy and Meteor are the ultimate White and Black Magics of FFIII. While the throw command doesn't actually exist in FFIII, equipping a shuriken onto a ninja will yeild the highest damage in the game but use the weapon so you had to keep equipping the weapon each round. Also, the image of the Back Attack part of OK's attack references this Amano picture.

Cecil Harvey (Final Fantasy IV)
EX Mode: Job Augment
EX Burst: Soul Shift
Description: In FFIV, Cecil starts out as a Dark Knight, but can become a Paladin later on, depending on the player's actions. Dissidia reflects this by giving him two forms, a dark form (representing him as a Dark Knight) and a light form (representing him as a Paladin). The EX Burst has him switch from one form to the other, hence "Soul Shift". I'm not entirely sure what Job Augment is supposed to mean, I think it just means that he acquired all the skills/abilities in his job/class.

Job Augment is a reference to the new Augment system from FFIVDS, the game allowed you to teach skills to characters from other party members that left your party.

Exdeath (Final Fantasy V)
EX Mode: Power of the Void
EX Burst: The laws of the universe mean nothing!
Description: Exdeath uses the power of the Void in FFV. I think the name of his EX Burst might be a line he says in FFV, but I can't confirm this. In Dissidia 012, his EX Burst is also called Power of the Void.

Yeah, the line is what Neo-Exdeath says to your party when you fight him.

Kain Highwind (Final Fantasy IV)
EX Mode: Holy Strength
EX Burst: Dragoon's Pride
Description: Kain is a Dragoon in FFIV and dislikes the Dark Knight class.

I'll elaborate, Holy Strength most likely references Kain becoming a Holy Dragoon in TAY, Dragoon's Pride references Kain's backstory where he refused to become a Dark Knight like King Banon wanted and instead followed in his father's footsteps as a Dragoon.

Description: Desperado is his Limit Break from FFVIII. The reference to faeries has me stumped, however.

The "Fairies" is what Laguna nicknamed whenever Squall and Co. were in their bodies because of Ellone. Laguna knows something is up because Kiros, Ward and himself gained great power during these times thanks to Squall and the others using GFs. Laguna even says one time at the start of one of his sequences, that he can feel his guardian fairies are here to help them. :D

Prishe (Final Fantasy XI)
Description: I'm not entirely sure where this comes from, to be honest. It might be original.

Five lights is a reference to the five crystals needed to stop Promethia in XI, or so I've heard.

Mercen-X
10-23-2011, 11:51 PM

The "Fairies" is what Laguna nicknamed whenever Squall and Co. were in their bodies because of Ellone. Laguna knows something is up because Kiros, Ward and himself gained great power during these times thanks to Squall and the others using GFs. Laguna even says one time at the start of one of his sequences, that he can feel his guardian fairies are here to help them. :D

OH!

TwilightLord
10-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks, Wolf Kanno. I was kind of in a rush when I wrote that.

Oh, and Oversoul appears in FFX-2, not FFX.