PDA

View Full Version : What Kind Of New FF Character Could Replace Your Current Favourite FF Character?

Evastio
10-22-2011, 05:52 PM
If a new Final Fantasy was to come out, what kind of new character (from that new Final Fantasy) would it take to replace your existing favourite character?

My favourite Final Fantasy characters would have to be Cecil, Golbez, and Laguna. So maybe a mix of the three would work? I definitely like Cecil and Golbez' past with sins they regret and their pursuit for redemption, so I'd want to keep that. Maybe mix that in with Laguna's clumsiness and nervousness around girls, so he won't just be a downer all the time. As for an outfit, maybe give him something really awesome looking like Golbez' armor, but with Laguna's clumsiness, he wouldn't be able to function in it well, finding it hard to get through doors or hitting people on accident with the spikes on his shoulders. Yeah, that would be good, having a character that's serious and easy to relate to, yet provides comic relief and a laugh every now and then?

What about the rest of you? Or is it too hard to come up with a character to replace your current favourite FF character?

Wolf Kanno
10-23-2011, 05:48 AM
Its not an easy thing to answer really, I tend to like characters for various reasons and there isn't really much to distinguish them from one another. Many of them are polar opposites so its not like I have a "flavor" I can work with. Chances are when said character comes, it will come to pass, but I doubt I could explain why. :eep:

Jiro
10-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Going to have to echo WK. It's too hard to think of a specific character mould. It's too reliant on game plot and setting, as well as the other cast members as well I think. It's easier to know whether you like a character or not based on them actually doing things and existing. It's sort of the same thing with people who have a checklist for their dream partner; you aren't going to find anyone who fits all the criteria but that doesn't mean you can't find someone good. Alternatively, writing the checklist is too fucking hard to begin with.

Mercen-X
10-23-2011, 11:54 PM
I struggle with this each day as a writer. I know who I like and those character archetypes appear in my own stories. I also know who I dislike... but, you know? You can't really like a character without having a horrible character nearby to contrast against.

Del Murder
10-24-2011, 07:19 PM
They'd have to be...

...wittier than Balthier.
...quirkier than Quina.
...more internally unstable than Cloud.
...more powerful than Terra.
...more heroic than Cecil.
...cuter than Vivi.

Have at it, SE. ;)

Jessweeee♪
10-24-2011, 10:37 PM
They'd have to be...

...wittier than Balthier.
...quirkier than Quina.
...more internally unstable than Cloud.
...more powerful than Terra.
...more heroic than Cecil.
...cuter than Vivi.

Have at it, SE. ;)

Enoby Dark'ness Dementia Way?!

Vincent, Thunder God
10-25-2011, 02:05 AM
One thing that bothers me is that often you have your token high-spirited, ebullient character in each game but aside from that so many characters lack emotion. Often the leads are very stoic and have no dynamic dialog. For once I would like to see a lead who really expresses a wide range of feelings - I suppose Tidus would come closest to this. Many leads like Lightning and Cloud are so repressed emotionally and from Lightning in particular a lot of dialog is her simply grunting and looking away. I suppose the word would be "cold." I can understand that Square Enix has had success with cold lead characters but someone who is believably positive would be a nice change. Often the high-spirited characters come off as forced - to actually portray a positive character as mature and not annoying would be a challenge for Square, but a worthwhile one.

Laddy
10-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Someone like Sazh but stars in the game.

Jessweeee♪
10-28-2011, 05:30 PM
One thing that bothers me is that often you have your token high-spirited, ebullient character in each game but aside from that so many characters lack emotion. Often the leads are very stoic and have no dynamic dialog. For once I would like to see a lead who really expresses a wide range of feelings - I suppose Tidus would come closest to this. Many leads like Lightning and Cloud are so repressed emotionally and from Lightning in particular a lot of dialog is her simply grunting and looking away. I suppose the word would be "cold." I can understand that Square Enix has had success with cold lead characters but someone who is believably positive would be a nice change. Often the high-spirited characters come off as forced - to actually portray a positive character as mature and not annoying would be a challenge for Square, but a worthwhile one.

You mean like the majority of the cast of FFXII? :p

Edge7
10-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Many leads like Lightning and Cloud are so repressed emotionally.
I resent that statement; Cloud may not have been the warmest main character, but he could crack a smile from time to time.

In all honesty though, from what little I've played of FFIX (just beat disc one, also skipped Quina by accident), I'd say I liked their cast the most, with FFVI's cast coming in a close second. Of all the characters, Vivi had the most angst, and in this case it feels completely justified (I sympathize with characters who have to question their own humanity more than ones who creates needless conflicts at inopportune times *cough*Hope*cough*).

If they could make another Final Fantasy where characters aren't as constantly as melodramatic as recent games in the series, then they have a fair shot at making it on my list of favorite characters.

Sefie1999AD
11-02-2011, 10:34 PM
I usually like characters who have depth and some character development, and who aren't overly annoying (*cough* Tidus *cough*). Nomura's recent FFs seem to suffer from too melodramatic characters. My favorite characters were from Final Fantasy IX, and the ones in FFs 4-7 were also great, IMHO.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-12-2011, 09:43 PM

You mean like the majority of the cast of FFXII? :p

Hmm, I don't know about that, there were some positive characters, but I didn't notice a lot of maturity, and Ashe suffered from Lightning syndrome. Though I liked Basch, he was also quite formal and serious, and Balthier, though witty, wasn't especially light-hearted either. I suppose you mean Vaan, but he was rather childish and naive despite his optimism - and Penelo is your usual annoyingly cheery female character. What I'm looking for is positivity matched with maturity.

Many leads like Lightning and Cloud are so repressed emotionally.
I resent that statement; Cloud may not have been the warmest main character, but he could crack a smile from time to time.

In all honesty though, from what little I've played of FFIX (just beat disc one, also skipped Quina by accident), I'd say I liked their cast the most, with FFVI's cast coming in a close second. Of all the characters, Vivi had the most angst, and in this case it feels completely justified (I sympathize with characters who have to question their own humanity more than ones who creates needless conflicts at inopportune times *cough*Hope*cough*).

If they could make another Final Fantasy where characters aren't as constantly as melodramatic as recent games in the series, then they have a fair shot at making it on my list of favorite characters.

Actually you're right about that, there were moments when he softened, especially after Mideel. And I haven't played all the way through FF XIII, so there may be a similar moment for Lightning.

Your point about melodrama is also true, and I agree that the cast of FF VI and IX are very solid.

Rostum
11-13-2011, 09:14 AM
I think now that I'm heading towards mid-20's I would connect with a lead character that was in the same worldly mindset that I am in; someone who's more mature, and reacts to situations in a more rational way. I get that Square aim their games at the teenage demographic, which I never understood why since isn't the average age for gamers at around 30-years-old?

Final Fantasy XII was heading in a good direction, and Sazh from Final Fantasy XIII was on the right track too. I'd just like the characters to react realistically to their situations given their age, and for the lead character to be of more maturity.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-16-2011, 07:40 PM
I think now that I'm heading towards mid-20's I would connect with a lead character that was in the same worldly mindset that I am in; someone who's more mature, and reacts to situations in a more rational way. I get that Square aim their games at the teenage demographic, which I never understood why since isn't the average age for gamers at around 30-years-old?

Final Fantasy XII was heading in a good direction, and Sazh from Final Fantasy XIII was on the right track too. I'd just like the characters to react realistically to their situations given their age, and for the lead character to be of more maturity.

Exactly my point, Sazh was definitely a step in the right direction, as was Basch arguably. But I'm also looking for maturity matched with a positive outlook, not ridiculous cheeriness matched with naïveté.

black orb
11-26-2011, 11:17 PM
>>> No one can replace :luca:..

Hollycat
11-26-2011, 11:53 PM
A viera with a sword and a jet pack with several costumes including a swimsuit, rockstar outfit, maid outfit, and pikachu outfit.

oh and a moogle sidekick named Epsilon, who is from the future where flan has taken over the world.

zack fair goodness quality and power, garnet style personality after she stops playing princess.

ArcangelParagon
11-27-2011, 03:20 AM
My top five most favorite FF characters are Terra, Locke, Celes, Yuna, and Tidus. It's hard for me to decide who among them is the absolute best, so it just mainly varies from time to time who comes out on top. I also like Cloud, Squall, and Laguna.

So I think I like characters who seem strong in some ways, but have some a big internal weakness, and must journey to find their inner strength.

I guess if they write another character like that and execute it properly, I'll get a new favorite.