PDA

View Full Version : Moms are... expendable

ReloadPsi
10-23-2011, 02:07 PM
THIS WARNING WARNS YOU THAT: this post is full of spoilers. Rather than tag every single one, I advise you avoid this thread if you've yet to play most of the series.

I'm a mama's boy. I pity the fool who ain't one!

Let's take a look at the survivability of being the mother of a hero in the main Final Fantasy series, shall we? By main I of course mean numbered.

Final Fantasy I: Blank slate heroes. Their mothers are never mentioned.

Final Fantasy II: Explicitly stated to be orphans.

Final Fantasy III: Also explicitly stated to be orphans.

Final Fantasy IV: Cecil and Kain are adopted orphans whose adoptive mother is either already dead or she never existed; Rydia's mother's corpse is one of the first things you see when you meet Rydia herself; Yang's immediate family is never mentioned but his age suggests his parents are dead, if not of anything tragic then most likely old age; Tellah's like seventy-something anyway; Palom and Porom, if memory serves, are explicitly stated to be orphans; Edward's parents are dead; Cid's old enough for us to deduce he does not have living parents; Edge is forced to mercy kill his own mother; we have no idea what's going on with FuSoYa. The only character whose mother is seen alive in the game and never presented as having died is Rosa's mother, a minor NPC in a house in Baron. Odds are she bites it, or has bitten it, by The After Years, but I ain't played it. To that end, Rosa's probably crapping bricks after seeing Ceodore become such a hero.

Mother survival count: 1. Remember I'm only counting main entries in the series here; After Years is a spin-off.

Final Fantasy V: All explicitly stated or shown to be orphans. Krile is raised by her grandfather; Bartz, Lenna and Faris' mothers are all dead.

Final Fantasy VI: Terra's mother dies in a flashback; Locke's parents are never seen; Edgar and Sabin would have to be orphans if they're the new monarchs; Cyan's wife, mother to his son, dies; Gau's mother died in childbirth; Shadow's mother is never seen; Banon's extremely old himself; Celes' family is never mentioned but it's strongly implied she lost them a long time ago; Mog's the last surviving Moogle in the world of ruin; Relm's being raised by her grandfather 'cause she got nobody else; Strago is seventy; Umaro is the only one of his race ever seen in the game; Gogo is sort of a gimmick character whose appearance might not even be canon; Setzer himself is really getting on a bit and his family is never seen.

Final Fantasy VII: Cloud's mother died in Nibelheim; if Barret's mother were still alive, she clearly died when Corel was torched as she's never mentioned; Tifa's mother's death is mentioned outright in a flashback; Aeris' real mother dies on screen in a flashback; Red XIII's mother's death is treated as being quite heroic; Yuffie's mother is never, ever seen; Cait Sith is a damn robot; Vincent's mother can't possibly have lived this long considering how long he was sealed away and how old he was already; Cid jokes about being old (despite being younger than Barret) and his mother is never mentioned.

Final Fantasy VIII: All explicitly stated to be orphans. Except Rinoa, whose mother is indeed dead.

Final Fantasy IX: Zidane's a lab experiment; Vivi's parentage is a complete mystery but it's heavily implied he has no biological parents; Garnet's mother dies, then her adpotive mother dies too; Steiner's parents are never mentioned; Freya's family are never really mentioned as far as I can remember; Quina... well nobody has a clue; Eiko is an orphan living on her own in a deserted village; Amarant doesn't seem to wanna talk about it.

Final Fantasy X: Tidus remembers his mother dying of the loss of will to live; Lulu and Wakka lost their parents to Sin; Auron never mentions it; Yuna's is presumed dead; Rikku's is dead; if Kimahri's mother was alive before, Seymour slaughtered her on the way up Gagazet.

Final Fantasy XII: Vaan and Penelo are orphans; Fran is a total mystery; Balthier's mother isn't mentioned; Basch probably has nothing left; Ashe is effectively orphaned at the start of the game, with no sign of a queen, who of course would be her mother.

Final Fantasy XIII: I haven't played it enough (and have no intention) but I think we can all agree that Hope's mother is full of crap at this point.

I guess somebody may wanna set me straight on XIII, but so far it seems we have one surviving mother out of the cast of twelve main games; fourteen if you count MMOs where the player characters have all but no backstory. Unless you count yourself. In which case...

Final Fantasy XI/Final Fantasy XIV: You... bastard. You've doomed your mother to a pretty tragic death, you know.

Discuss.

Mirage
10-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Moms are squishy.

Depression Moon
10-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Final Fantasy IX: Zidane's a lab experiment; Vivi's parentage is a complete mystery but it's heavily implied he has no biological parents; Garnet's mother dies, then her adoptive mother dies too; Steiner's parents are never mentioned; Freya's family are never really mentioned as far as I can remember; Quina... well nobody has a clue; Eiko is an orphan living on her own in a deserted village; Amarant doesn't seem to wanna talk about it.

It's not a complete mystery at all. Kuja created him from mist. Vivi fell off the cargo ship in front of Quan's Dwelling and Quan took him in for a few months before dying himself. Quina is her own parent, because from what I heard I believe Qu's reproduce asexually. In all of the games most of the time parents aren't mentioned like the majority of characters you put up there.

Jiro
10-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Elmyra is still alive, despite Aerith not being. So make that two. I know she isn't the biological mother, but don't be smurfing picky, the woman raised her! With that in mind, you could almost add Edea as a surrogate mother...

Yeah we start getting messy when we go with that. Damn near all of them have replacement parents. Cid and his wife in III cared for the kids iirc.

I see the point though. Sucks to be a mom.

ReloadPsi
10-23-2011, 03:47 PM
It's not a complete mystery at all. Kuja created him from mist. Vivi fell off the cargo ship in front of Quan's Dwelling and Quan took him in for a few months before dying himself. Quina is her own parent, because from what I heard I believe Qu's reproduce asexually. In all of the games most of the time parents aren't mentioned like the majority of characters you put up there.

Ah, my mistake. Thank you for clearing that up.

Yeah we start getting messy when we go with that. Damn near all of them have replacement parents. Cid and his wife in III cared for the kids iirc.

I see the point though. Sucks to be a mom.

I think you just re-made my point there ;) The ever-increasing need for replacement parents just goes to show how much it does suck to be an FF mother.

Gamblet
10-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Final Fantasy VII: Sephiroth has Jenova :D

Mirage
10-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Final Fantasy IX: Zidane's a lab experiment; Vivi's parentage is a complete mystery but it's heavily implied he has no biological parents; Garnet's mother dies, then her adoptive mother dies too; Steiner's parents are never mentioned; Freya's family are never really mentioned as far as I can remember; Quina... well nobody has a clue; Eiko is an orphan living on her own in a deserted village; Amarant doesn't seem to wanna talk about it.

Quina is her own parent? Wtf? Maybe Qus don't require another mate, but i am pretty damn sure they don't generate themselves out of nothingness.

Wolf Kanno
10-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Zack's parents are both alive as well in VII

ReloadPsi
10-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Zack's parents are both alive as well in VII

Zack's not one of the player characters though; he's only playable in the Compilation, something whose existence I do not acknowledge.

Mercen-X
10-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Maybe not playable, but still remembered heroically

Loony BoB
10-24-2011, 03:26 PM
I am extremely glad that my mother is not a video game character.

Bolivar
10-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Yeah, from FFIII and FFVIII, you start to gather that another of the consistent characteristics of the FF series is that the main characters are orphans. There have been a few exceptions: Rosa's mother (who I believe is still alive in The After Years), Yuffie's dad, Hope's dad, etc. But nearly every main character falls into this.

Del Murder
10-24-2011, 07:22 PM
I've never thought about this before. Moms are screwed in this game! Especially Edge's. Get experimented on and then your own son has to kill you. Yikes!

Jessweeee♪
10-24-2011, 08:32 PM
FFXIII moms (huge spoilers ahead!):

Lightning and Serah are orphans, Snow's parents aren't mentioned, but NORA seems the rag-tag bunch of orphans kind of group, Sazh's aren't mentioned, Fang and Vanille are the only Pulse humans left probably, and yes, Hope's mother is dead. So possibly two mothers alive. The death of Hope's mother is the only in the series that is really a big deal. Everyone else is like "noooo mooooom okay time to adventure now."

Del Murder
10-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Yeah, Hope's mom was the most significant, but I would argue that the deaths of Terra and Aerith's biological mothers were pretty significant to the stories of those games. I never really realized how much those two have in common.