PDA

View Full Version : RIP Marco Simoncelli

I Don't Need A Name
10-23-2011, 02:30 PM
The Italian Moto GP Marco Simoncelli died today after a crash during the Malaysian Grand Prix in Sepang. He came off his bike on Lap 2, sliding across the track and under the wheels of Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi. His helmet came off, and the race was cancelled. Simoncelli was pronounced dead by medical teams after being removed from the track.

Jiro
10-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Been seeing this pop up all over the place. I don't watch it so I'm not familiar with the guy, but it's still sad to see a life be cut short. And I guess it's just a sad example of how dangerous the sport is. You see them crash all the time, but you don't really expect it to kill them. Even serious injuries are unexpected these days, everything's "safe".

Can't imagine how Edwards and Rossi are feeling now. I think I read somewhere that one or both of them were close with Simoncelli personally. Sounds like a whole lot of people are gonna be traumatised by this.

I Don't Need A Name
10-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I can't imagine how they're feeling too. Their contact with him was completely unavoidable, but people have already started shouting blame at Rossi as his wheel appeared to contact his head (despite Edwards coming in contact with his entire body) which is completely uncalled for.

Crop
10-23-2011, 05:16 PM
This is so shocking, I sometimes watch the GP (I'm more of a formula 1 man) and Rossi is my favourite guy, I'm gutted not only for the loss of the racer, but if it was Rossi's hit that caused the death (utterly not his fault, of course) I feel bad for him, he's a great guy and a fantastic racer and I know he'll be broken up by this. Tragedy all round.

Mirage
10-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Been seeing this pop up all over the place. I don't watch it so I'm not familiar with the guy, but it's still sad to see a life be cut short. And I guess it's just a sad example of how dangerous the sport is. You see them crash all the time, but you don't really expect it to kill them. Even serious injuries are unexpected these days, everything's "safe".

Can't imagine how Edwards and Rossi are feeling now. I think I read somewhere that one or both of them were close with Simoncelli personally. Sounds like a whole lot of people are gonna be traumatised by this.

I kinda do expect them to die when the crashes look really terrible. Unfortunate, but i'm sure he knew the risks associated with his sport.

Rocket Edge
10-23-2011, 05:54 PM
This makes me sick. Did anyone see the crash? The guy was like a rag doll. Two deaths in the past couple of weeks now in motorsport. The people behind the scenes need to junction speed limits on the vehicles before more deaths will happen as a cause to it. Its not on like.

Anyway, terrible news, I actually used to watch Moto GP a little bit over the years so I'd know who he was. R.I.P. - I hope fellow people in the sport can be more cautious because of this.