PDA

View Full Version : Foods I can't get here.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-23-2011, 07:55 PM
All these food and snack threads made me start thinking. There's lots of good stuff that I've had while traveling that I can't get around here. I have Cheerwine, NC style BBQ, peach cider, and other things that are pretty local to this area. Other people can't enjoy it as easily. So here's a start to my list.

Things I miss from other areas of the world that I can't get here easily. Or at all.

Solyanka
Kinder Shokolade
Steel Drum Chicken (Jerk Chicken)
Spaetzle
Canner Lobster
Blaukraut
Brochen
Colcannon
Boxty
Mezzo Mix
Fanta Mango
Fanta Apfel
Banh Mi
Banh Chung
Xoi
Goi Cuon
Bun bo Hue
Po' Boys
Mars Bars (real)
Knackwurst

I'll have to think. I know there's more. What are some of yours?

Pike
10-23-2011, 09:04 PM
It used to be Mountain Dew Live Wire but they actually started selling that in my hometown again.

A year round Dairy Queen, I guess. The one they have here is only open in the summer. Then again, we do have a Cold Stone.

Food Threads: A tradition in which Pike shows her complete ignorance regarding food. Every time.

fire_of_avalon
10-23-2011, 10:00 PM
I... I do not understand this thread. You have Cheerwine and barbecue. Asking for more is selfish.

PS:... okay, so are you eating Lexington style or Eastern style when you mention NC bbq?

Answer. Carefully.

PPS: There are like five places in Asheville that apparently do real good jerk chicken. So I hear.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Oh sweet fancy moses. I forgot about how much you Northerners argue over your bbq. It's all good!

This is probably where you don't like me anymore, but I usually prefer the vinegar/spice to the tomato/pepper sauce. It depends on my mood. South Carolina has two styles very similar to your eastern style and your Lexington style. We also have "Carolina Gold" which I think is the best in the area.

Once again, it's all very good though.

NorthernChaosGod
10-24-2011, 12:04 AM
I can't think of anything I like that I can't get.

rubah
10-24-2011, 01:09 AM
Comté cheese, the specialty of the Franche-Comté départment/region in France.

actually it was probably called something else. I should e-mail my host family and ask what it was exactly. I've seen some comté cheeses a few places, but they're not the right one

fire_of_avalon
10-24-2011, 01:27 AM
Also want to point out the vast majority of foods sharky posted I've never even heard of.

Jiro
10-24-2011, 03:06 AM
Then again, we do have a Cold Stone.
Tell me what the fuck this is because I think we have the same thing but it is called Cold Rock.

Pheesh
10-24-2011, 03:15 AM
Choose it, Mix it, Smash it, Love it.

rubah
10-24-2011, 03:17 AM
Tell me what the fuck this is because I think we have the same thing but it is called Cold Rock.

You freeze a rock or a slab then prepare ice cream on it

see maggie moo's, marble slab, cold stone creamery, etc

NorthernChaosGod
10-24-2011, 03:39 AM
It is delicious awesomeness of frozen slabs.

Jiro
10-24-2011, 04:38 AM
"Prepare" ice cream? Do not follow.

Our place puts like fucking mars bars and shit in the ice cream. There's like 100 add ins, so smurfing good man.

NorthernChaosGod
10-24-2011, 04:49 AM
They have the big ass, frozen table... thing, you pick out your ice cream and the add in and they fold that shit into the ice cream on top of the table.

Pike
10-24-2011, 04:53 AM
Okay this thread is really making me crave ice cream and I don't have any right now :(

Jiro
10-24-2011, 04:57 AM
Okay so it's the same thing, sweet.

EDIT: PIKE GUESS WHO HAS A LOT OF ICE CREAM :smug:

Rantz
10-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Reese's.
Root beer.

Pity me. :(

Loony BoB
10-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Pretty much half of the things that are everyday in New Zealand are not available at all in the UK, or if they are, they must be purchased via little-known websites that import it directly for you. I could go on forever. Here's a few of examples off the top of my head, though.

Colby cheese
Mountain Dew
K-Bars
Mince and cheese pies (I haven't looked at this in-depth, I just thought of it now, actually)
Nutri Grain cereal
Maggi onion soup mix / Nestle reduced cream and, because of these two, a good onion chip dip
Fresh Up
Jellytip ice cream

sharkythesharkdogg
10-24-2011, 01:25 PM
How does the UK not have colby cheese? :confused:

I will be adding (real) Mars bars, knackwurst, and po' boys to the list.

Loony BoB
10-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Every now and then, I renew my search. Every time I come up with nothing. You can't even find it in import stores, so I suppose cheese is not something you're supposed to import... I don't know, it'd probably go bad, I guess. But yeah. I have to make do with mild cheddar in my sandwiches and it's not the same. I've now not had colby for nine years and when I do have it again, I'll probably have to readjust my taste buds once more, but I'm hoping that's not the case and I can simply return to the glory of colby with perfect results.

Pike
10-24-2011, 02:45 PM
No Colby cheese?

That is... terrible.

NorthernChaosGod
10-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Reese's.
Root beer.

Pity me. :(
You poor, poor thing. I should send you a care package of the stuff.

Jessweeee♪
10-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Snapple Apple. There's just no other apple drink that's the same. The only Snapple I find here are the tea flavors and Mango Madness. I do like Peach Tea and Mango Madness, but I want Snapple Apple. It's the one good thing about living in Florida.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Every now and then, I renew my search. Every time I come up with nothing. You can't even find it in import stores, so I suppose cheese is not something you're supposed to import... I don't know, it'd probably go bad, I guess. But yeah. I have to make do with mild cheddar in my sandwiches and it's not the same. I've now not had colby for nine years and when I do have it again, I'll probably have to readjust my taste buds once more, but I'm hoping that's not the case and I can simply return to the glory of colby with perfect results.

*looks at a slice of colby cheese* I've been taking you for granted! ;__;

Peegee
10-25-2011, 05:53 PM
I MISS JACK IN THE BOX

WAAAAAAH

NorthernChaosGod
10-25-2011, 08:35 PM
I MISS JACK IN THE BOX

WAAAAAAH
There's one ~1500 feet away from me.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-25-2011, 08:44 PM
I'll eat at Waffle House and I still won't eat at a Jack In The Box.

Stranger. Danger.