PDA

View Full Version : My PS1 does not read recently burned backups.

Gamblet
10-25-2011, 04:40 PM
I do not know if this thread is suitable for this place, but I'll give it a shot.

I burned a PS1 backup (.bin/.cue files) on a CD-R (Digidata) with Alcohol 120%, I put the game in the console and what a surprise, the game froze at the PS logo screen.. It has never happened before, could it be my new CD/DVD writer? I'll copy the log here from Alcohol.

################## Detailed Information of Device(s) ##################

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
(E:) AOPEN COM5232/AAH PRO (0:1) detail information.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Vendor Identification: AOPEN
Product Identification: COM5232/AAH PRO
Production Revision Level: 1.04
Support recording method: DAO / SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO + SUB, RAW DAO(96), TAO
BURN-Free Technology: Super-Link
Auto-Select best write speed: Not Supported
-* Note: This information below is provided by the unit, it might be inaccurate. *-
-* This software does not use this information! *-
Removable media: Yes
Version: ATAPI (INF-8090i/INF-8020i/INF-8028i)
Response Data Format: 02h
CD-R & CD-RW Read / Write: CD-R: Yes / Yes, CD-RW: Yes / Yes
Read CD-R Fixed Packet: Yes
Test Write: Yes
DVD-ROM Read: Yes
DVD-R and DVD-RAM Read / Write: DVD-R: Yes / No, DVD-RAM: No / No
Audio Play: Yes
Composite Audio and Video Data Stream: No
Digital output (IEC958) on port 1 / 2 Supported: Yes / No
Mode 2 Form 1 / 2: Yes / Yes
Multi-Session: Yes
BUF: Yes
CD-DA Commands supported: Yes
CD-DA Stream is Accurate: Yes
R-W Supported: Yes
R-W De-interleaved and Corrected: No
C2 Pointers Support: Yes
ISRC / UPC Supported: Yes / Yes
Read Bar Code: No
Lock media into the drive: Yes
Currently drive Lock state: Unlocked
Prevent Jumper: No
Eject Command: Yes
Separate volume levels: Yes
Separate channel mute: Yes
Changer Supports Disc Present: No
Software slot selection: No
Side change capable: No
P through W in Lead-In: Yes

###################### Source Disc/Image Information ######################
Type: Cue-sheets Image file
Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Renee\Desktop\CT.part1\
Name: Chrono Trigger.cue
Size: 522.1 MB
Session: 1
Track: 1
File(s): Chrono Trigger.bin
#############################################################################

####################### Dumping/Recording Progress Log #######################
********* Time stamp of this log file: 25.10.2011 17:49:58 *********
17:49:58 Processor info: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3600+ (2008MHz)
17:49:58 Physical memory available to Windows: 2 095 600 KB
17:49:58 Memory Buffer size: 256 MB
17:49:58 Image file loading: C:\Documents and Settings\Renee\Desktop\CT.part1\Chrono Trigger.cue
17:49:58 Source Info: Session: 1, Track: 1, Length: 454.6 MB / 51:43:49
17:50:00 (E:) AOPEN COM5232/AAH PRO (0:1): Recording Method/Speed
17:50:00 Recording - RAW DAO - 4X (600 KB/Sec)
(E:) AOPEN COM5232/AAH PRO (0:1): RAW DAO Write Mode - RAW-PW(96)
17:50:00 (E:) AOPEN COM5232/AAH PRO (0:1): BURN-Free activated
17:57:33 Image file loading completed!
18:04:03 (E:) AOPEN COM5232/AAH PRO (0:1): Recording completed successfully!
18:04:03 Elapsed Time: 00:14:03, Average speed: 3.9X
18:04:05 All recording procedures have been completed!
18:04:05 00:14:04
##############################################################################

This is getting really confusing already. Anybody help me out?

PS. I have burned the same game twice already and both CDs have same results.

Mirage
10-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Old PS1s can be pretty picky when it comes to which CD-Rs it wants to read. CD-Rs are all a bit different physically than real PS1 game discs, and the PS1 was not designed for maximum compatibility with CD-Rs. Furthermore, the age of the laser pickup diode could be a contributing cause. Over time, lasers in CD and DVD drives get weaker and weaker, making it harder for it to read stuff. This would likely start to be a problem on CD-Rs (which it is not even designed for) before it starts being a problem for legit PS1 games.

As a solution to your problem, I would suggest trying a different brand of CD-Rs, and clean your PS1's pickup laser. You could either use a cleaning disc, or do it manually with a q-tip and some sort of alcohol/white spirit/isopropanol etc. Just wet the q-tip with it and try to wipe the lens.

Gamblet
10-25-2011, 05:16 PM
The thing is that the games I burned with a different writer still work with the same brand CDs flawlessly.

I suspect that it is a bad burn.

Peegee
10-25-2011, 05:36 PM
iirc we can't support piracy here :S

Gamblet
10-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Oh, I see. :D

Mirage
10-25-2011, 08:20 PM
This isn't supporting piracy.

DMKA
10-26-2011, 01:21 AM
HERP DERP JUST FOR EDUCATIONAL DATA FREEDOM RESEARCH PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT PURPOSES AMIRITE?

Yeah I'm right.

Carl the Llama
10-26-2011, 02:13 AM
If it doesn't support burnt back ups, why don't you just play the original disk? after all, a back up is a back up of the original which you supposedly own.

Raian the Fallen
10-26-2011, 05:12 AM
If it doesn't support burnt back ups, why don't you just play the original disk? after all, a back up is a back up of the original which you supposedly own.
Personally, I'd love to back up all my games and play the backups. If the backup fucks up, then you can just make another. But if the original fucks up, then you have to repurchase it.

NorthernChaosGod
10-26-2011, 06:11 AM
Personally, I'd love to back up all my games and play the backups. If the backup fucks up, then you can just make another. But if the original fucks up, then you have to repurchase it.
I totally did this with my PS1 games when I still played it regularly.

Raian the Fallen
10-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Personally, I'd love to back up all my games and play the backups. If the backup smurfs up, then you can just make another. But if the original smurfs up, then you have to repurchase it.
I totally did this with my PS1 games when I still played it regularly.
I need to do it with my PS2. I don't want to risk losing my copies of Final Fantasy VII and The Bouncer :D

Slothy
10-26-2011, 12:05 PM
HERP DERP JUST FOR EDUCATIONAL DATA FREEDOM RESEARCH PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT PURPOSES AMIRITE?

Yeah I'm right.

I don't know how the copyright laws in the US treat backups, but in Canada this practice is perfectly legal.

NorthernChaosGod
10-26-2011, 03:05 PM

Yeah I'm right.

I don't know how the copyright laws in the US treat backups, but in Canada this practice is perfectly legal.
I believe it's legal to have ROMs of games as long as you own a hard copy of the game as well, so this should be cool if that is as well.

Mirage
10-26-2011, 03:25 PM
You're not really allowed to download a ROM even if you have it, because this process causes someone else to make a copy of their ROM and send it to you. You would however be allowed to dump a ROM yourself from whatever cartridge you might have.

Yeah I'm right.

Copying digital media for private use is perfectly legal where I live, and several other nations. even if you need to circumvent copy protetions to do it. After all, this is what you do if you convert a CD into mp3 to put it on your portable music player. Or maybe you're one of the guys who think throwing people in jail for using an ipod is the right thing to do?

The original disc might have been physically damaged.

Carl the Llama
10-26-2011, 07:03 PM
The original disc might have been physically damaged.

If the original disk was damaged, how did he make a back up of it? By making a back up of it then still playing the original? Highly doubtful.

Mirage
10-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Backing up games *before* the disc breaks? Oh, you're right, that must be completely unheard of!

Personally I back up my PS2 games after the discs are shattered into a thousand pieces. Makes everything so much easier.

Anyway, OP: Have you tried a different CD recording software?

Jessweeee♪
10-26-2011, 08:46 PM
I wish I had backed up my PS1 games! I never took care of them when I was a little kid, and now a decade later most of them don't work. FFVIII in particular is an odd case. It plays in a PS2 just fine, but on the PS1 it freezes during certain cutscenes.

Gamblet
10-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Well, in my country it is legal to download ROMs for personal use. (I don't get profit from it, they are over 10 years old and not available to buy from game shops, who gives a damn?)

Alcohol IS the best for burning PS1 games from my experience but I just do not trust my new CD writer, sure it says that it can burn/read CDs and DVDs, but the games will not work. The ROMs run fine on the emulator.

I used to have older version of Alcohol, maybe that's the problem? (By the way, I'm using RAW DAO mode when burning, if that helps. Haven't burned games since last year, so I'm a bit rusty.)

EDIT:
I wish I had backed up my PS1 games! I never took care of them when I was a little kid, and now a decade later most of them don't work. FFVIII in particular is an odd case. It plays in a PS2 just fine, but on the PS1 it freezes during certain cutscenes. I think your PS1 lazor is dying.

Mirage
10-26-2011, 10:57 PM
What's your country? Because I don't know of any country where copyright infringement is legal just cause it's old and you don't resell it.

Gamblet
10-27-2011, 02:55 PM
What's your country? Because I don't know of any country where copyright infringement is legal just cause it's old and you don't resell it.

Well it really is not legal, but I recently read in the internet that Estonia only has 1 person who got punishment for selling a pirate copy of a movie. Also, Estonia thinks that piracy produces satisfaction among people, so they are not punishing nobody yet. So, if you are using the downloaded file for personal use only, you don't get punished. I hope I made myself clear.
Well, from the text I wrote you can tell that I am from Estonia.