PDA

View Full Version : How to delete files before signing into Windows

Jessweeee♪
10-26-2011, 03:48 PM
So I need to delete my antivirus directory because I think it has corrputed a file which has completely disabled my computer, and like a virus it is just going to keep on doing that thing for as long as it's running. Or I need to delete something anyway. Somebody please tell me how to delete things from like, the boot screen or whatever, 'cause I can't even get to safe mode :confused:

CimminyCricket
10-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Try slaving your hard drive to another computer. Are you using a desktop or a laptop?

Old Manus
10-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Your comp crashes at the BIOS (I'm guessing it does if you can't get as far as selecting safe mode)? Jesus, what the hell was your antivirus doing?

It could be a problem with the OS. At what point does it all go tits up? Can you press F8 or F12 on startup and change boot settings?

Jessweeee♪
10-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Laptop, so I'd rather not mess with the insides if it can be avoided S:

For awhile it wasn't freezing until a minute or two after I logged in, but now it either hangs on the Welcome screen, or if I try to boot in safe mode it hangs after loading "crcdisk.sys" every time without fail, so I assume the corrupted file is either that one or whatever file it tries to access after that. So I think I can get into all of those BIOS goodies without problems. I'm not 100% sure that the antivirus is the problem, but that's what most of my google searches turned up P:

Loony BoB
10-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Laptops are surprisingly easy to get hard drives out of - or at least, most modern ones are. It's usually a case of unscrewing a side panel and then just sliding it out. Not sure how easily a laptop sized hard drive can be slaved into a standard PC, though - never tried it!

You could possibly get away with using a DOS styled boot disk, but I think that more technical people can cofirm that end of things.

Old Manus
10-26-2011, 04:36 PM
May require a reinstall :( Try booting from your Windows DVD and running the repair utility

Jessweeee♪
10-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Well another problem with that is that I'd have to use someone else's computer, and I'd just be kind of fumbling my way through it with some instructions I printed out from some website I googled. I don't want to inconvenience anybody by having their computer out of commission for a whole day while I figure out where I messed up xD

EDIT:
Urrghh I don't have any. Maybe I can find some system restore thing in the BIOS somewhere? S:

Is it possible to use borrow someone else's DVD, or will there be problems?

Old Manus
10-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Idk, you'd probably have to put in your key (which you don't have). The only other way I can think of is contacting your manufacturer for another one, which can be more trouble than it's worth.

I'd say now is the time to get a Linux Boot CD and solve all your problems! But I'd feel dirty and horrible.

Jessweeee♪
10-26-2011, 04:57 PM
My friend was once told to delete system32 in order to resolve some issues he was having with FFXI. And then he did it...

Mirage
10-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Idk, you'd probably have to put in your key (which you don't have). The only other way I can think of is contacting your manufacturer for another one, which can be more trouble than it's worth.

I'd say now is the time to get a Linux Boot CD and solve all your problems! But I'd feel dirty and horrible.

I'll save you, Manus!

Jesswee, you should try downloading a live-CD and boot from that. It could be a linux liveCD, which are the most common ones, but Windows liveCDs exist as well.

It is possible to borrow someone else's Windows DVD, but you should make sure it is the exact same version and edition that you're using yourself.

Jessweeee♪
10-27-2011, 04:28 PM
I did a system restore that undid a month's worth of Windows updates, and my computer was working fine until about an hour later when I decided to run Windows Update again. I mean, since I had undone a month's worth and another month had passed since I last used the computer. It crashed while installing and now it's behaving exactly as it did before. Could it be one of the updates? It's possible it's just a coincidence, but I BSOD'd a whole classroom of computers once because after updating Windows suddenly decided it didn't like the drivers used for the printer or something weird like that. It made for a nice photo.

Old Manus
10-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Have you tried this (http://forums.techarena.in/vista-hardware-devices/940952.htm)?

Jessweeee♪
10-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Okay, I think it's really fixed this time. I decided I wasn't going to do updates until I knew for sure I could do so without crashing my computer, but I neglected to turn off automatic updates. So I was like "I'll show you, I'm going to put my computer to sleep and it'll never restart!" So I did that, but when I woke up this morning, my computer was ON and updates had been installed, but it's okay 'cause I could log in just fine. The problem has fixed itself.

Old Manus
10-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Must have been the ghost in zshell

Mirage
10-28-2011, 08:30 PM
lol nerd jokes