PDA

View Full Version : Tea!

Kristen
10-27-2011, 06:12 PM
I recently started drinking hot tea, and I need some advice!
I have two brands: Celestial Seasonings and Yogi....I wanna know what tea brands/ flavours you guys drink...
And do certain teas really energize you/ help sleep...etc.
I'm a little tea stupid :p
Any more advice would be amazing!;)

Pheesh
10-27-2011, 06:21 PM
I prefer iced green tea with lemon, but pretty much all tea is better than coffee imo.

I think it's Earl Grey that helps you relax/sleep, but I may be completely wrong.

Kristen
10-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Earl grey...ok I'll have to check that out, yes I'm trying to stay away from coffee haha. Tea seems to be a really healthy alternative. I'm used to drinking coffee/soda to keep me awake at work, but I'm sick of the calories. Celestial Seasonings have no calories or any bad stuff...which I think is amazing. I wanna see what teas other people drink...which brand do you drink?

Marshall Banana
10-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Boba milk tea.

BOBA MILK TEA. BOBA MILK TEA.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/137229-boba-milk-tea-recipe.html

Kristen
10-27-2011, 06:43 PM
oh wow! that looks so yummy! thanks guys! i gotta go to work now..ill check this topic when i get back...thanks again! :D

Peegee
10-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Oh my god FINALLY GET TO POST THIS

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/PG_Tips.jpg

I love this tea. I mean I was laughing my ass off when Cz told me about it, but damn, it's a good tea

NorthernChaosGod
10-27-2011, 07:03 PM
I prefer iced green tea with lemon, but pretty much all tea is better than coffee imo.
Nancy.

Pheesh
10-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Nancy.

What a coincidence, that's what your mum likes to be called while I lick tea from her naked body.

Peegee
10-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Nancy.

What a coincidence, that's what your mum likes to be called while I lick tea from her naked body.

any pics?

NorthernChaosGod
10-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Nancy.

And thus we prove coffee is better than tea. No one wastes coffee like that.

Pheesh
10-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Nancy.

And thus we prove coffee is better than tea. No one wastes coffee like that.

We did things with tapioca pearls that would make MB cringe /smug It was a veritable tapioca pearl necklace.

CelShadedDreams
10-27-2011, 09:04 PM

I think it's Earl Grey that helps you relax/sleep, but I may be completely wrong.

You're wrong! So very, very wrong. Earl Grey isn't very nice, it's "aromatic" but that isn't a good thing IMO. You'll probably like it if you want a lightish morning tea.

Chamomile tea is the relaxing sleepy one!

If you want a nice strong breakfast tea I suggest Assam tea. It's a little stronger and more full-bodied than say your average PG tips breakfast tea. Let it brew for 2-3 minutes and make sure you don't over milk it. Add a little sugar if you like.

There are certain rules about tea, and whenever I've had it in the states it's done wrong! Giving you the bag and the water seperate so the water is just hot and not boiling be the time you get it... bah! All wrong. The water needs to be added as soon as it's boiled so it's as hot as it can possibly be when it hits the bag and that's true for all types of tea. Everything else is just personal preference.

I'm British, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to tea!

Yar
10-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Green or Thai bubble tea is good.

I like raspberry tea. And green tea.

Shlup
10-27-2011, 09:07 PM
My friend went on a trip to China a couple of years ago and brought back a shitload of teas, which she promptly gave to me for some reason. A lot of green tea leaves and rose petals and a few little baggies of mixed stuff.

I like a lot of hot teas, but I mostly drink green.

Kalilung
10-27-2011, 09:11 PM
I am quickly showing up in here to say, Earl Grey has a freakin' ton of caffeine, and should never be drunk before bed, unless you have some sort of mad caffeine tolerance, in which case, bully for you.

Hot
Chamomile is excellent for relaxing (mighty leaf tea does an incredible job with their chamomile citrus blend. tastes like cake. Celestial Seasons or whatever does just a plain chamomile (:D) and their special Sleepy Time blend, which is pretty good.) Awake by Tazo is a black tea mix with a decent amount of caffeine. PG's PG Tips are freaking DELICIOUS as the standard milk+sugar+hot tea, as is Tetley's British Blend (here in the US) or "tea", as the brits call it. Gunpowder Green Tea by Red Blossom is the most delicious green tea i've ever had, but most of the "gunpowder green" teas sold in stores are pretty decent. Oh, and Earl Grey and all its variants are so delicious that it should be a staple on your tea shelf (I drink a variant of Earl Grey called Dorian Gray, which is regular Earl with a caramel flavoring added to the tea leaves.).

Cold
Vietnamese tea (standard black tea mixed with sweetened condensed milk) + tapioca pearls is delicious. On a related note, mango-peach black tea with tapioca pearls is the pinnacle boba-filled teas. Peppermint, spearmint, or a blend of mints tea is ridiculously refreshing when served cold. Please don't drink Lipton. It's not worth your money or your time. If you must make some sort of sweet southern iced tea, may I recommend Luzianne's blend. Made the best and strongest sweet tea I'd ever had.

Hot or Cold?
Chai (black tea with cloves, cinnamon, cardamom & other spices) fits into this category, 'cause it's delicious both ways. I prefer mine iced, but that's just because I live in a tropical climate. Hot chai is like drinking everything that makes pumpkin pie delicious. You can sometimes find green tea chai, and I highly recommend the experience.

Peegee
10-27-2011, 09:23 PM
When I visited china (lol), we visited a tea making...hill. Like they planted tea plants everywhere on the hill and started farming it for tea.

I bought some green tea candy. Mmmm....expensive.

100$ per bag (bag, not single serving) of tea. My parents are insane.

Shiny
10-27-2011, 10:16 PM
I love Earl Grey. Works so much better than coffee for me and I like the herbal black tea version. The only coffee I liked was some ghetto gourmet. It was ridiculously expensive and probably not from Colombia.

Kristen
10-28-2011, 04:38 AM
oh wow! thanks everyone! i cant wait to try these out! :p

Pheesh
10-28-2011, 04:43 AM

You're wrong! So very, very wrong. Earl Grey isn't very nice, it's "aromatic" but that isn't a good thing IMO. You'll probably like it if you want a lightish morning tea.

I'm British, I know what I'm talking about when it comes to tea!

I'm Australian, so I'm not listening to your devil opinions. It's bad enough I can't walk through the city because of CHOGM D:<

Freya
10-28-2011, 04:58 AM
Vanilla chai is awesome. It's probably my favorite. I need to try that bobba tea Monda keeps going on about but I want to be lazy and not make it. I'm sure I wont be able to find the stuff where I am.

Pike
10-28-2011, 02:51 PM
One time I tried to get into liking Earl Gray tea because I wanted to be like Captain Picard (that's the honest to god reason) but I just couldn't do it. :(

Kristen
10-28-2011, 09:08 PM
@Pike....hahahaha thats great. My friend just gave me Bengal Spice from Celestial Seasonings....but I was also looking into loose tea (eventually) from Teavana....it looks so amazing! Buy Tea Online: Green tea, Oolong tea, Black tea, White tea, Herbal tea and more! | Teavana (http://www.teavana.com/) what do you guys think?

rubah
10-28-2011, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't say earl grey was a "light" flavor. It's pretty heavy and peppery to me.

I got a rooiboos with vanilla tea that tastes basically like the cakes I used to make in my EasyBake oven. noooooom

anyway, I'm not English, but I have the understanding that the temperature at which you should steep tea depends on the tea. The English do have a reputation for ah.. cooking the taste out of foods ;)

Bubba
10-29-2011, 12:39 AM
"Twinings - English Breakfast". If it's a good, strong cup of tea you're looking for then look no further. Once used, it even has wrinkle-reducing properties. Beat that, Mr Grey.

Rostum
10-29-2011, 01:05 AM
I'm a huge fan of tea. Green tea is nice and healthy, but it still has caffine, so if you want something that's even higher in antioxidents and has zero caffine you should try Rooibos tea. It tastes great!

I always have a cup of Chamomile tea before I head off to bed. It's a great relaxant, and it tends to make me feel more refreshed in the morning.

There's a lot of good Chinese tea around too, but I can't remember names.

Jiro
10-29-2011, 05:51 AM
Apparently T(ea) is for Twinings or so the ads say. I dunno but I have some Twinings strawberry tea next to me and it's pretty sweet (literally).

Breine
10-29-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't particularly care for fruit flavoured tea (other than lemon and apple that is), but everything else I like and drink with pleasure.
You never go wrong with basic green tea (preferably Chinese) or chamomile.

A good one is if you buy some fresh mint leaves, put them in a cup, pour hot water over them and mix in a bit of sugar. Fresh mint tea is delish.

Kristen
10-29-2011, 04:49 PM
oh wow, lots of new ideas! rooiboos and twinings and...fresh mint leaves got it!

Rantz
10-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Rooibos is my favourite. :jess:

Mercen-X
10-29-2011, 09:48 PM
I only drink tea when it happens to be available. I bought a Snapple Green Tea at a Mexican diner. I usually don't buy tea and I never bother to make it. Anybody want to make me some tea?

Kristen
10-30-2011, 05:08 PM
ill make you some tea...once i figure out how to make it right

choco-chocobo
10-30-2011, 05:11 PM
I only drink Chinese Green Tea or Japanese Jasmine tea. I'm not sure what brands they are, I always purchase them from oriental shops where I do most of my grocery shopping.

Kristen
10-31-2011, 01:30 PM
i always wanted to try tea with jasmine with it...i have another question! about half way through my cup...my tea gets cold...do you guys microwave it? i was told i have to heat up my teacup before putting tea in it...so i put boiling water in it...then dump it out and put the tea water in it when its ready....but it still gets cold halfway through...any suggestions? thanks kupo!
also...restared final fantasy XIII...even though i hate it...just getting ready for the sequel...and tea+final fantasy= :)

Pheesh
10-31-2011, 01:45 PM
...drink it faster? >_>

Peegee
10-31-2011, 05:15 PM
We have a teapot that has a filter built into it (for tea leaves). But what you can do is brew other things. I love peach tea, for example.

GrimmReaper
10-31-2011, 06:15 PM
Chai green tea. I like the stash brand specifically but I usually stick to a white, black, or green tea.
also
coffee > tea
that is all. :)

Clo
10-31-2011, 06:34 PM
Why not both tea AND coffee?

*twitch* :mymelomfg:

Raistlin
10-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Because coffee is disgusting and tea is glorious.

Iceglow
11-01-2011, 01:25 AM
Ok well if we aren't just talking bog standard tea such as tetleys or twinings then here's what I like:

Peppermint Tea, so good with a couple of sugars in! Great for settling an upset stomach or for drinking when having a shisha pipe or sweet baklawa pastries.

Earl Grey, a refined taste for some it's very flowery it's not too sweet though if you add sugar it can become almost sickeningly so. This is best drunk black with maybe a dash of cold water to help make it drinkable sooner.

Chamomile Tea, this is something I touch very rarely because 1) I'm not over-keen on the taste and 2) I don't think it works. But it's supposed to help you sleep.

If we're talking stuff like the powdered teas you get from Whittards of Chelsea then well it's always dreamtime tea for me This stuff is L-U-S-H (http://www.whittard.co.uk/rb_dreamtime_inst_tea.htm) seriously it's great.

Kristen
11-03-2011, 02:13 AM
ugh ive had no internet! anyways i had yet another question...i have these glass 4 ounce teacups...how many ounces SHOULD you drink with tea?

Iceglow
11-03-2011, 11:34 PM
being lazy I'm going to say I need a conversion, how many ml in 4oz?

Tigmafuzz
11-04-2011, 02:35 AM
being lazy I'm going to say I need a conversion, how many ml in 4oz?
Not enough.

rubah
11-04-2011, 05:49 AM
ugh ive had no internet! anyways i had yet another question...i have these glass 4 ounce teacups...how many ounces SHOULD you drink with tea?
You should drink as many as you like, but if you're using a teabag, remove it once the tea is done steeping. Peegies turned me onto this trick; not only does the tea taste better when you make it weaker, but you can use the teabag again for 2x tea power. If you use loose leaf, you're out of luck, I suppose.

i always wanted to try tea with jasmine with it...i have another question! about half way through my cup...my tea gets cold...do you guys microwave it? i was told i have to heat up my teacup before putting tea in it...so i put boiling water in it...then dump it out and put the tea water in it when its ready....but it still gets cold halfway through...any suggestions? thanks kupo!
I tried a jasmine tea today that was amazing. It was like drinking daffodils! (the brand is yamamotoyama if anyone wants to try it)
Anyway, sounds like what you need is a better insulator. I typically drink out of styrofoam cups at the office, and if I put my cup inside another cup, it stays hot forever, nearly. To reduce heat transfer you'll want some material that is a good insulator (e.g. not metals. Something with either vacuum or air-space between two layers is the best)

Kristen
11-04-2011, 03:40 PM
thank you!!