PDA

View Full Version : Since there's a lot of science talk today...

Tigmafuzz
10-31-2011, 11:26 PM
We shall discuss science stuff that the general public has a serious misunderstanding of.
First, let's tackle the "Big Bang" theory, shall we?

The Perception:

You don't need an extensive education in astrophysics to guess what the Big Bang looked like. It's called the freaking
Big Bang. It must have been some kind of big ass explosion, right? Hell, even Carl Sagan agrees--after all, that's how
he shows it in one of his highly respected documentaries.

The Reality:

Since nobody was around to observe it, there is still debate surrounding the exact details of the origins of the cosmos,
but it most certainly did not look like an explosion as presented in the above freeze-frame. There are some who say the
origin of the universe came in a moment of extremely rapid matter expansion, aka the "Big Bang Theory." But the other,
most common, camp is the "steady state" theory, wherein the universe has been expanding at the same rate since day
one, and continues to expand at the same pace even now. Either way, though, both sides agree there was no "explosion."
Instead the universe expanded like a balloon full of dark matter and other cool sci-fi sounding science-y stuff.

The main argument between the groups of physicists is basically how fast the balloon inflated, not whether the balloon
inflated or exploded in a ball of fire.

Why We Picture it Wrong:

The whole problem comes back to that really misleading name. So, what kind of jerk would come up with the name "Big
Bang" if they were a smart enough scientist to know it was more of a "gradual swelling"?

Turns out it was one more opposed to the idea of a Big Bang than most. Fred Hoyle was an astrophysicist firmly on the
"steady state" side of the great debate of the birth of life, the universe, and everything. He came up with the phrase "Big
Bang" as a way to simply explain the viewpoint he disagreed with, intending people to hear the name and think the idea
of a giant explosion giving birth to existence was ridiculous.

This was a gross misjudgment of human nature. As soon as he suggested there was a huge explosion at the birth of the
universe, we latched onto that idea and never let it go. Hoyle simply failed to grasp how profoundly our species LOVES
big-ass explosions.

Is there anything else in physics or any branch of science or philosophy you can think of that the most people don't really understand, or are just plain wrong about?

NorthernChaosGod
10-31-2011, 11:44 PM
Did you just copy/paste that from Cracked?

Tigmafuzz
11-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Whoops. Forgot the quote tags.

fire_of_avalon
11-01-2011, 12:13 AM
A lot of people around here tend to think I'm nice and they're just plain wrong!

Tigmafuzz
11-01-2011, 12:19 AM
A lot of people around here tend to think I'm nice and they're just plain wrong!
What exactly does that have to do with science?

NorthernChaosGod
11-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Stop trying to be such a hardass, MegaPow. You're the sweetest person I know. :jess:

Tigmafuzz
11-01-2011, 12:21 AM
I feel like I'm missing something, here. I shouldn't go away for so long.

Mirage
11-01-2011, 06:32 AM
It annoys me when anti-evolution people shout for proofs of transitional fossils, and when someone finds one, they want the one between that new one and an older one instead, repeat ad infinitum.

Diango12
11-01-2011, 07:23 AM
There is usually confusion about the difference between evolution as the study for how life forms become more complex, and abiogenesis, which studies the origin of life. People arguing against Evolution sometimes demand an explanation of how life originated. They don't seem to actually know that evolutionary biology, evolutionary genetics, abiogenesis, paleontology, and palaeoanthropology are all different studies, each contributing one piece to the puzzle.

Not that I'm well learned in any of them, so I'll take my amateur biologist hat off and simply say that non of the concepts behind evolution are difficult to understand at all! Anyone who refuses to accept the theory of evolution by natural selection has just never learned about it. Anyone still refusing to accept it after studying the theory has just never been to the Smithsonian museum.

Tigmafuzz
11-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Anyone who refuses to accept the theory of evolution by natural selection has just never learned about it. Anyone still refusing to accept it after studying the theory has just never been to the Smithsonian museum.
I knew a girl who refused to even hear about evolution because her mother told her that everything in the Bible was God's law or something. It really hurts me deep inside that parents can implant this kind of ignorance into their children. I don't care what you believe, but not giving another person a chance to explain their side of the story is just plain rude. And they say Christians are loving and open-minded. In my experience, no matter how tactfully I enter into a discussion with one about anything related to either theology or philosophy in general, they're usually just disrespectful.

Pheesh
11-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I hate that show.

Diango12
11-02-2011, 12:55 AM
I knew a girl who refused to even hear about evolution because her mother told her that everything in the Bible was God's law or something. It really hurts me deep inside that parents can implant this kind of ignorance into their children. I don't care what you believe, but not giving another person a chance to explain their side of the story is just plain rude. And they say Christians are loving and open-minded. In my experience, no matter how tactfully I enter into a discussion with one about anything related to either theology or philosophy in general, they're usually just disrespectful.

My experience from discussing theology and science with religiously devout people is that someone bent on religion, operates under the impression that among people, belief in a higher power is ubiquitous. They see disinclination as alien and strange. For the most part this is actually true. Atheists make up less than 9% of the North American continent. So there is little reluctance to affront what would be viewed as atheistic beliefs. They don't expect any back lash as atheists and intellectuals are a very small minority. Bill O'reilly on fox news brazenly makes offensive statements towards atheists in this country many times and without recoil. Why? Because he can.

Tigmafuzz
11-02-2011, 01:29 AM
I'm not an atheist, I'm an agnostic. I don't believe that there isn't a god. I just accept the possibility that there may be a god, and that I'll most likely never know for sure as long as I'm alive without some sort of tangible evidence.

Shlup
11-02-2011, 01:42 AM
It annoys me when anti-evolution people shout for proofs of transitional fossils, and when someone finds one, they want the one between that new one and an older one instead, repeat ad infinitum.

It's just a theory. Like all that gravity bullshit. Keep your liberal agenda away from me.

It bugs me when people think we use 10% of our brains. We use 100% of out neurons, which make up 10% of brain matter. The other 90% of brain cells are glial cells, which are support cells. It's like saying we'd be a lot stronger if our bones and veins and shit were muscle.

NorthernChaosGod
11-02-2011, 02:00 AM

It's just a theory. Like all that gravity bullshit. Keep your liberal agenda away from me.

It bugs me when people think we use 10% of our brains. We use 100% of out neurons, which make up 10% of brain matter. The other 90% of brain cells are glial cells, which are support cells. It's like saying we'd be a lot stronger if our bones and veins and shit were muscle.
The most common justification I've come across is just that we only use a small part of our brain at any given moment; it all gets used. *shrug*

Tigmafuzz
11-02-2011, 02:01 AM
As a matter of fact, it has been recently discovered that there are people who have a different "consciousness:life functions" ratio than the normal 1:9. Somebody in Florida (I think) had a 15:85. I'll look for the article. And yes, gravity is a theory. But a theory doesn't just mean "imaginary." A theory, in science, is "a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, esp. one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained or a set of principles on which the practice of an activity is based." It's just a set of laws. Einstein explained gravity as a force that acts in the fourth dimension, basically. There's a big rock placed on the suspended cloth that is our universe. Place a marble on that cloth, and it will roll downwards towards the center of gravity of the rock that is pulling down on that cloth. The same thing goes for the planets being pulled towards the sun, only one dimension higher (added) with the law of conservation of angular momentum applied.* If we had a way to travel through the fourth dimension, space-time would be frozen from our perspective. If one were to measure the discrepancies of space-time itself, it would be evident that there can be individual differences in multiple timelines caused by changes in time itself. I'm sure you've heard of the Multiverse Theory (or at least seen it on Family Guy lol) but there are some well-respected physicists who suspect that the Multiverse may contain an independent time with a will of its own.

*There is another theory stating that because of waves/discrepancies in space-time, the planets think they are on a straight path to the sun, but the directions are all messed up because of the ever-changing nature of the universe itself. Although within said theory the waves would have to be constant then to keep the planets from eventually crashing into the sun or each other on their orbits (or at least constantly changing in relation to the current speed, direction, and location relative to the sun of each planet in the entire universe) and therefore the theory itself would be contradictory to the Multiverse; not that the Multiverse is generally accepted itself, but I've always had a thing for it.

Jiro
11-03-2011, 05:25 AM
This is way too serious for general chat :confused: I'm not very good when it comes to science.

demondude
11-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Science is so fucking boring.

Peegee
11-03-2011, 04:10 PM
I have a large problem understanding higher level physics. Can it be explained without using:

- difficult concepts
- mathematics
- physics

? Serious question. If not, where should I start? Don't be telling me to read hawking - I've done that already.

Clo
11-03-2011, 05:31 PM
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2008/07/medium_scienceshirt.jpg

Mercen-X
11-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Evolution: sad to say, but on our measly planet, we are the pinnacle of humanity. We're not going to evolve into something better. Maybe we really did evolve from cromagnon or whatever that guy's name is (homo dumbfoundus?), but we're going any further.

(you) say life on this planet has been evolving for millions of years. I say this planet has only existed for about 6000 years. Maybe life existed before this planet. Maybe we were dropped off here by the scientologists in a last ditch effort to save the remains of their civilization from impending doom. Maybe all that we know has been grossly mutilated by prejudice and tyranny and the superior knowledge of our ancestors from offworld is forever lost in the annals of time.

Fact is, men come from women (womb+men). That's how our race continues. Obviously, there must've been a first. But was that at the beginning? Maybe it was at the end! A time traveling spaceship that travelled along the moebius and arrived here on Earth. Who knows?

Astrology: I've never given any merit to astrology. Those fortunes you read from jack-nuts all over the frickin world are nothing but a running joke-of-a-scam. However, The Big Bang Theory had it's reputedly smartest character Dr. Sheldon Cooper explain that women are not alone in experiencing seasonal hormonal shifts... that men can "man-strate"... lol... If we take into account the timing of a man's "man-stration" or a women's time of the month, and factor in their date of birth and the equivalent information about the parents by whom they were raised. It may, in fact, be possible to completely predict a person's life because you'll know the decisions they'll make thus allowing you to predict where they'll be and whom they'll likely meet and what they'll do in those new situations. Of course, to think this far ahead accurately, you'd have to frickin' Sherlock Holmes!

Peegee
11-03-2011, 10:31 PM
http://chan.catiewayne.com/c/src/130938941827.jpg

Somebody explain to me how the big bang lead to a 3D analog of a horseshoe shaped universe.

Tigmafuzz
11-04-2011, 02:30 AM
You know what? This may have been a bad idea.