PDA

View Full Version : The Way They Die (horror movies)

Mercen-X
11-03-2011, 01:41 AM
How I came to develop this topic:
My mom watched a movie called The Emperor's New Clothes. The beginning entailed prisoners being sent down a slide into the ocean to drown (because most criminals/prisoners are peasants and don't know how to swim). The slide reminded her of another movie she watched and she began to look it up on the internet on her phone. When she didn't find it right away, she asked me to look on my phone simultaneously. My search didn't turn up her movie (she later found to be called "The Long Boats" a movie about Vikings and Africans and execution by means of a loooong slide with blade in the center that slices the slider neatly in two from head to toe... *shudder*)... my search led me to a list of the ten most torturous and stomach-wrenching (to watch as well as experience firsthand) forms of execution man has ever used over the centuries.

Have you seen this forms used in Television or Movies?
Garrote... Boats (Persian method)... Drawing & Quartering... Roasting (Sicillian Brazen Bull)... Boiling... Impalement... Thousand Cuts... Gutting (or Harakiri)... Flaying (skinning)... The Wheel (basically, strapping someone someone down and beating them with something dense and heavy).

I've seen Garrote used on a Television series called The Seeker... I've D&Q at least once (that was at the beginning of the Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor)... Lee's brother (Kaito?) on Rush Hour 3 mentioned Thousand Cuts as a form of execution... Boiling can be seen in pretty much any british war movie... Harakiri can be seen in pretty much any Samurai movie where as Gutting was featured at the end of Braveheart (Mel Gibson) and the Three Warlords (I think that's what it was called) starring Jet Li. Apparently, the Brazen Bull execution has been recently implemented in a Saw film. I don't know about the Persian boats (basically, tying someone down and feeding them... they'll defecate on themselves and draw insects to them that will eat them alive. Slow, painful, humiliating. Them Persians...)

Anyone?

Dreddz
11-03-2011, 03:40 AM
The Predator skinned those dudes at the start of....well, Predator. That's all I got.

Mercen-X
11-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Did they show that? I remember they also had a bunch of skinned corpse somewhere in the middle of Predator 2, I think Danny Glover discovered them.

Primus Inter Pares
11-06-2011, 02:37 PM
I found the Wall of Death scene from Caligula particularly interesting. The unfortunates were buried up to their head in the sand while a wall with a lawnmower like blade advanced slowly upon them eventually decapitating them. This is an idea which I believe should have been revisited on Hole in the Wall. Caligula actually has far worse death scenes than that, but the Wall of Death is pretty funny. Generally horrific executions aren't really that well depicted in films.

Old Manus
11-06-2011, 07:44 PM
On one shitty slasher film, this girl gets each arm and leg roped up to a different horse, which all run off in opposite directions, the idea being her limbs all come off. The cockup occurs when she only has one limb left, yet it still endevours to easily pop off even though there's nothing pulling her any other way.