PDA

View Full Version : Weird obsession with Russia

Dreddz
11-03-2011, 04:05 AM
Can't fathom why I feel the need to type this. But yeah, Russia. I think my interest sparked when I started watching those goofy Russian kids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-qwm19WyP4&feature=related) dancing to dnb back a few months ago. Plus at Uni I have had to opportunity to talk to a few Russian students studying overseas who I can't stop thinking about (only the girls, the guys are a bit odd).

I'd love to visit Russia one day. Growing up I had this idea that it was a ruthless barbaric country where casually stepping on a bear trap is an everyday sort of thing. Those iconic shots of decaying housing blocks that once turned me off the place is now the reason I want to go. The problem is is that absolutely no one I know has any interest in going. They all assume this is a joke I'm playing. Its not.

So anyway, whats everyone's opinion on Russia. Would you ever go there?

Pheesh
11-03-2011, 04:15 AM
I have always wanted to learn Russian. To me it's such an appealing language, and it would make it so much easier to talk to all the incredibly hot girls that seem to come from Russia.

Jiro
11-03-2011, 05:10 AM
Slow down, everybody seems to be Russian :hahaha:

Okay so I think Russia would be a cool place to visit because it is kind of the blend point between Europe and Asia. Russians are Eurasians! :D

Yar
11-03-2011, 05:57 AM
Are you studying Russian Dreddz?

Russia's pretty cool I guess. They like ice hockey. I like ice hockey. They like vodka. I like vodka. It's a match made in heaven.

Pike
11-03-2011, 06:03 AM
Fyodor Dostoyevsky is a bro.

The Brothers Karamazov is the greatest book ever written.

Dreddz
11-03-2011, 04:54 PM
No but its been on my mind for a while. I'd love to learn another language but I'd like to learn one I can put into good use. As of right now I have no purpose for learning Russian (except to charm those Russian ladies ;)). If in the future it does benefit me then I'd definitely give it a go. Although I've heard Russian is a very difficult language to learn. Mainly because they use a cyrillic script which is intimidating as hell.

Tigmafuzz
11-04-2011, 02:14 AM
The Brothers Karamazov is the greatest book ever written.
Perhaps.
I was going to stay with a friend of mine there for a while but I couldn't stand it for more than a week, no matter how badly she begged me to stay. The air was disgusting and the people were jerks. Samara definitely lives up to its reputation as the Detroit of Russia.

Iceglow
11-04-2011, 05:43 AM
I've been Poland on more than one occasion it was brilliant. I've been happy to go there and much of Poland is influenced by these large Soviet Era buildings. Russia is interesting though there is a seedier side of Russia which is far more prominent than the seedier aspects of more western former Soviet states. I would suggest going to one of the more western states before plunging in to visiting Russia.

Yar
11-04-2011, 05:24 PM
No but its been on my mind for a while. I'd love to learn another language but I'd like to learn one I can put into good use. As of right now I have no purpose for learning Russian (except to charm those Russian ladies ;)). If in the future it does benefit me then I'd definitely give it a go. Although I've heard Russian is a very difficult language to learn. Mainly because they use a cyrillic script which is intimidating as hell.You could learn another alphabet over a 3-day weekend. I had to learn hiragana and katakana in a week for Japanese class.

I think the thing that makes Russian so ridiculously hard would be its case system, which is pretty much non-existent in English.

EDIT: Here have some ridiculous Russian hip-hop. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4OaOycxQno)

Dreddz
11-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Here have some ridiculous Russian hip-hop. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4OaOycxQno)
Don't get me started on this stuff. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3GeYk0_v88&feature=related)

Russian girls :love: