PDA

View Full Version : Live Q&A, Part II

Rostum
11-03-2011, 11:51 PM
So last night they had the live Q&A from Yoshida. Wasn't too interesting, though they showed off a lot of artwork and in-development animations.

Here's a rough translation:

Live producer letter - live translation (http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/29735-Live-producer-letter-live-translation)

I'll update this when they release the entire thing translated on YouTube, but for now you can check out this video:

FFXIV Live Letter - Mounts Moogles and Magitek!... also jumping - YouTube (http://youtu.be/7-TMlzgZ528?hd=1)

Keep in mind Yoshida said these animations are in early development, and the jump animation is just being tested for the new landscape designs - hopefully we'll have some platforming elements! Just to clarify, Yoshi said himself that the jump animation looks silly, but it was a general idea.

Also Magitek Armor concept looks pretty amazing. The mob-mounts would be really cool too, though they would have to give the mobs some sort of armor, different colouring, just something to make it stand out from a regular mob. I wonder if they'll be rewards for doing certain things in the game.

EDIT: I just got through looking at the official forums. Oh my word. FFXI's community, during its hayday, used to be known throughout the MMORPG community as being one of the best and probably the biggest selling point for the game. FFXIV's community, in its current state, is like the retarded evil step-child of the MMORPG community. My freakin' word! I don't think Blizzard's forums were ever this bad.

Del Murder
11-06-2011, 04:58 AM
I really love the concept renderings. You can ride a gobbue! Jumping would also be a welcome addition.

Loony BoB
11-08-2011, 04:56 PM
EDIT: I just got through looking at the official forums. Oh my word. FFXI's community, during its hayday, used to be known throughout the MMORPG community as being one of the best and probably the biggest selling point for the game. FFXIV's community, in its current state, is like the retarded evil step-child of the MMORPG community. My freakin' word! I don't think Blizzard's forums were ever this bad.
I would certainly not judge FFXIV's in-game community on the forum community. I've had nothing but good experiences with the in-game community but the forum community seems to feature many a troll. It'll be interesting to see how many of those trolls hang around when it's pay-to-play, but we'll have to wait and see regarding that. But yeah, whenever I talk to someone in the game they are helpful (if I'm asking questions) or amusing/interesting (if there is a debate/conversation going on). When it was confirmed to be P2P soon, there were certainly a few people being really vocal in the game about how pissed off they were (the guy I met was slagging off Yoshi-P saying he was the worst thing to happen to FFXIV, etc), but most people were just dismissing them or just debating politely with them. Personally, I went after the guy I 'heard' and told him that he needed a big hug and that he was just looking for love. I then spent some time chasing him and giving him /em hugs etc. :p But yeah, it's a rather introverted community for the most part but I wouldn't slag it off.

From my understanding, despite FFXI's community being great, there was once a time that they were about to open up some FFXI forums and when they did they were full of trash as well. If you can filter through the rubbish, the FFXIV forum isn't too bad, though. That's just coming from me, though, and I've certainly learned to filter through a lot of rubbish there. :S

As for the letter from Yoshi, it was okay. Nothing much really that stood out to me regarding the current game and my question wasn't answered. I was interested in the (far from concrete) suggestion that they could discount the game for the first 1-2 patches.

chionos
11-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Every game community I've ever been involved with (including FFXI) has had its fair share of annoying/rude/ignorant/selfish members.

FFXIV's looking better and better, almost to the point of convincing me to leave ffxi for it. The prospect of riding on a goobbue was enough in itself, but jumping really intrigues me too...ffxi's lack of jumping is so painful. I think I'll wait until ps3 launch to join, though. My computer will only run the game with most of the settings turned down, and it's just too beautiful a game to not play at max/near max. And I prefer playing on console in any case.

Roogle
11-14-2011, 11:19 PM
FFXIV's looking better and better, almost to the point of convincing me to leave ffxi for it. The prospect of riding on a goobbue was enough in itself, but jumping really intrigues me too...ffxi's lack of jumping is so painful.

I agree. I think this is a big announcement if they allow you to jump. I used to have problems when a party member or I would accidentally go the wrong direction and descend a ledge costing us a good thirty minutes. This happened several times and it was ridiculous to the point that people tended to simply kill themselves and have their bodies dragged to the party's location by way of Tractor.

chionos
11-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Way back in the days of Crawler's Nest parties, I remember spending 30 minutes or more helping people that just couldn't get up the hills in the tunnels leading to the basement.

Both ffxi and ffxiv involve a lot of walking (ffxi more than ffxiv), and jumping will hopefully break up some of that monotony.

I'm so close to the edge on the ffxi--ffxiv thing...I expect there to be a marketing blitz sometime soon. The first new promotional video I see will probably be enough to send me over.