PDA

View Full Version : Nobuo Uematsu and his band EARTHBOUND PAPAS to perform at MAGFest X

Nick The Newbie
11-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Let me start with full disclosure by saying that I am on staff with MAGFest, and I’m copy-pasta’ing this thread in many Final Fantasy forums because it seems like something that FF fans would take a great deal of interest in . I apologize if this thread is interpreted as spam, and understand if you wish to delete it.

MAGFest (Music And Gaming Festival) is an annual gaming event in the Washington D.C. area dedicated to video game music and gaming of all types. Our headlining guest this year is none other than Final Fantasy series composer Nobuo Uematsu and his new band EARTHBOUND PAPAS, which features several members of his previous band The Black Mages. We have gaming of all types, over a dozen live video game music cover bands, tons of guests from the industry and community, and it all runs 24 hours a day for all four days. I feel like I’m pushing the envelope here, as it is, so I’ll refrain from inundating you with a full list of guests. If you’re interested you can check out our website at http://magfest.org (http://magfest.org/)

In the meanwhile, I’ll check back at this thread as often as I can and I’ll be glad to answer any questions you guys may have about the event. Thanks so much and, again, my apologies if this is interpreted as spam.

Depression Moon
11-04-2011, 08:23 PM
I always wanted to see Nobuo perform in person, but it's likely I'll have any money at that time of year in order to attend.

Nick The Newbie
11-04-2011, 08:33 PM
If it's any help, and if you're feeling adventurous, there's a ride/room share forum on our site. You could seriously cut down on costs if you took advantage of that.

NorthernChaosGod
11-04-2011, 10:22 PM
No Black Mages? :(

Shlup
11-04-2011, 10:41 PM
I don't think we mind the advertizing (it does sound cool), but this does need to go in the right forum. *moves*

This sounds really cool! If I weren't on the complete opposite side of the country, I'd love to go.

Roogle
11-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I am in Colorado and I would love to attend the event, but I don't see myself traveling to that part of the country any time soon.

Thank you for moving the thread, ShlupQuack.

I was not aware that Nobuo Uematsu formed a new band. Is this their first performance or have they been around for awhile now? Congratulations on booking the band for your event. It sounds like a really good time. I wish I could go; video game music is pretty much all that I listen to these days.

starlet
11-04-2011, 11:22 PM

I think they broke up. I could be wrong though...

Rostum
11-05-2011, 01:09 AM
Omg I love Uematsu!

Earthbound Papas announcement - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip1KgI7myUY)

I had no idea about his new band.

Nick The Newbie
11-05-2011, 02:46 AM

I think they broke up. I could be wrong though...

Correct, they split in 2010. 3 of the 5 members of EARTHBOUND PAPAS are former black mages, anyway, so it's pretty close! :)

Uematsu announced this new band in march, and they have 1 album out which features songs from FF, blue dragon, lost odyssey, as well as some originals. You'll hear some of this, and some other past Uematsu material at their MAGFest performance. This marks their second ever USA performance.

The Man
11-05-2011, 03:35 AM
The Black Mages were contractually required not to perform material Uematsu composed for other companies, which is why he dissolved the group.

Jessweeee♪
11-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Aw, sounds like a lot of fun but the boyfriend and I just blew our non-existent travel budget on a family emergency!

Nick The Newbie
12-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Just one final reminder, and I'll be out of your guys' hair forever. This event is coming up January 5-8, 2012, and pre-registration ends december 16 at 11:59pm USA eastern time. Full-weekend and One-day tickets will be available at the door, but will be more expensive than if you pre-registered.

chionos
12-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Omg I love Uematsu!

Earthbound Papas announcement - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip1KgI7myUY)

I had no idea about his new band.

That was awesome.

Uematsu is one of a kind. Seriously, there will never be another.