PDA

View Full Version : Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Loony BoB
11-06-2011, 01:43 AM
So, now that it's out, who's played it, what do you think?

I've finished it and I loved it, I have to say. I particularly enjoyed the dialogue of Charlie Cutter, who I really enjoyed as a character overall. I felt the girls in this story were very much second fiddle to the three guys, which was a nice change - although I could have done with a little more Chloe... ;)

I finished it on Normal, as I always do, and then noticed Crushing was open so went straight to that... and I don't think I'm going to finish it. Let's just say that shooting an armoured enemy down on rocky seas is not my area of expertise at all, and the difficulty spike in that particular moment just did me altogether. I must have tried a hundred times but no luck. =[

ljkkjlcm9
11-06-2011, 01:52 AM
From what i have heard there are severe spots of difficulty spikes. Uncharted 2 was alright, but the gameplay is nothing short of generic TPS. I love the story of course, so will get this game, probably as a Christmas gift. I already have my priority buys over this title. (Assassins creed, Zelda, and Mario 3d land... Plus new game plus dark souls.)

Everything tells me the game is exactly what i expected. With no interest in the multiplayer, the story will still be worth playing through in time.

THE JACKEL

Primus Inter Pares
11-06-2011, 02:12 AM
Love the Uncharted series, playing through first time on hard as always. Not far from the end, I have to say it's really awesome, as always they've made it look better than the previous game. The only thing that disappointed me was The fact that we didn't get anything really supernatural in the game this time around. I always loved the second half of the first and second one where you end up fighting nazi zombies or mutated Nepalese. LMA finished it before I did and the ending was slightly anticlimactic.. That said it's still definitely the game of the year until Skyrim comes out.

DMKA
11-06-2011, 03:54 AM
Just finished it a couple hours ago and loved it. One of my favorite games of all time. I can't think of a single flaw, except for the fact that Talbot got shot clear as day and then was perfectly okay with NO EXPLANATION WHATSOEVER WTF, but in the scope of the rest of the game, that's not a big deal, and I'm sure it could be explained away just as easily as Drake and Sully's fake deaths early on.

What really amazed me about the game though, is just how good the cinematic qualities were. The acting and expressions of the characters were incredible. The voice acting wasn't just good for a game, it was good, period, even if it was a show or a movie, it would have been fantastic. The cutscenes completely engrossed me and it felt like I was watching a top notch, high dollar film straight out of Hollywood. There wasn't a single moment where I was like "wow, bad voice acting" or "wow, what a stupid twist" like is so standard fare in video games.

I've never experienced that with a game. The first two Uncharted games were fantastic in these departments, but it was perfect in this one. There were so many moments that were so over the top and epicly action packed, and everything looked fantastic. I'm not sure graphics can get any better than that on the current consoles.

Fantastic game.

Del Murder
11-06-2011, 06:02 AM
I will get and play this at some point. Probably several months after everyone else gets done with it, as usual.

Depression Moon
11-06-2011, 10:45 PM
I was planning on getting this considering how fantastic Uncharted 2 is on all fronts, but I'm not in favor of these new online passes that these publishers have been implementing lately.

Loony BoB
11-07-2011, 02:09 PM
You can expect that kind of thing to stay, really. They have nothing to lose from doing it that way - unfortunately for us. Danielle and I, for example, would have to buy two games if we both want to have a shot at online play on our own accounts. It sucks balls, but it'snot going to change, sadly.

I finally got past that bit I was stuck at after finding a fairly slow, tedious but effective method. Now I'm at a much later stage and what I'm told is the "final really really hard part" and it's once again destroying my soul. On the upside, I die within about twenty seconds instead of two minutes, so my attempts aren't exactly taking up all the time in the world.

Still. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH please ;_; please be easier.

Primus Inter Pares
11-07-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm playing through it on Crushing too, there are a few battles I'm really not looking forward too given how tedious they were on hard, and how many enemies you had to kill between checkpoints, specifically (that I can remember):

1.A bit before you get onto the cruise ship, in the huge area where there are the two mounted guns and you have to swim around a bit. So many enemies there.
2. On the cruise ship in the main concert hall or whatever it is. This one sucks if you fail the first time around because you spawn in a stupid place.
3. Right at the start of sink or swim, when the area you're in is flooding.
4. When you hit the convoy.
5. When you're in the desert and you have to take out the trucks with RPGs

I imagine ragequitting at one of these stages and not going back for a few months.

Depression Moon
11-08-2011, 02:37 AM
You can expect that kind of thing to stay, really. They have nothing to lose from doing it that way - unfortunately for us. Danielle and I, for example, would have to buy two games if we both want to have a shot at online play on our own accounts. It sucks balls, but it'snot going to change, sadly.

If people don't support it I don't see why it won't change. Once they see that people aren't going to put up with it they'll reevaluate it.

Loony BoB
11-08-2011, 09:30 AM
People do put up with it, though. That much is obvious. The closest I've heard of a game getting towards 'boycott because we don't like how they went about things' is L4D2, and that sold extremely well and was a great game. People definitely put up with it. I'm proof. Would I rather make a stand or would I rather play the game? I'd rather play the game, thanks.

I'm playing through it on Crushing too, there are a few battles I'm really not looking forward too given how tedious they were on hard, and how many enemies you had to kill between checkpoints, specifically (that I can remember):

1.A bit before you get onto the cruise ship, in the huge area where there are the two mounted guns and you have to swim around a bit. So many enemies there.
This isn't too bad once you find the good spots to camp and shoot from. There are about three places I did all of my killing from and you can regularly dive back in and get more ammo.
2. On the cruise ship in the main concert hall or whatever it is. This one sucks if you fail the first time around because you spawn in a stupid place.
This is okay if you can get the stealth done right at the start... which is a bitch to get done right. YouTube was called upon for me. :( But I would personally say the part right before this part was harder.
3. Right at the start of sink or swim, when the area you're in is flooding.
Yes. This was a pain. Very doable... but still a royal pain. My tip for this would be that once you get past the first wave, remember you don't have to kill everyone in the second wave as there is a timer for you to survive within. Eventually, water will defeat the enemies for you.
4. When you hit the convoy.
This was annoying but the more I did it (I died a lot), the more I knew what I had to do. You basically train yourself as you go.
5. When you're in the desert and you have to take out the trucks with RPGs
Actually not too bad! Fall back, take out the guys who come at you, then return to take out the rest. The trucks aren't that much of a worry... the more important thing is to get rid of the guy with the grenade launcher.

I imagine ragequitting at one of these stages and not going back for a few months.
Just remember that the three "genuinely soul-crushing bits" on Crushing are...
1. Cruisin' for a Bruisin' - PAK-30 guy.
2. Cruisin' for a Bruisin' - Ballroom.
3. 4x Djinn fight in what I can only describe as the tiled fountain room near the end of the game.
Of those, #1 and #3 were hardest for me, but yay, I finally did it and I'm so happy! Just working through the chapters on Very Easy now hunting for treasure.

ljkkjlcm9
11-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Saw this in Redbox so i rented it. Considering i have no interest in the multiplayer and can probably beat it in 2 or 3 days. About half way through and the story is great. Gameplay is exactly what is expected, which to me is just Meh. Good game but enjoyed Dark Souls more, and expect to enjoy both Assassins Creed and Zelda and Mario more!

THE JACKEL

eestlinc
12-02-2011, 01:27 AM
This game is awesome, but I don't think the best parts are as good as the best parts of Uncharted 2. The chapters in Tibet (the tank, the convoy, and the monastery) are so much better than anything in Uncharted 3. But that sequence is one of the best sequences in any video game ever, so it would be hard to top. The cruise ship and the airplane were a little bit underwhelming by comparison, although still fun. I also liked the scenery in 2 better.

However, the melee fighting and the stealth capabilities are much better in Uncharted 3. The end of 3 is underwhelming but is still better than the end of 2. by far the two worst scenes in 2 were the one-on-one battles (in the ice cave and the final boss), and 3 massively improves on that.

Levian
12-02-2011, 01:54 AM
I need to play Uncharted 2 first. :|

I owned Uncharted 1 for 5 days a while ago because it was cheaper to buy a used PS3 game and deliver it in again to get a discount on FFXIII than buying FFXIII directly. I consider it one of my best gaming purchases!

LunarWeaver
12-02-2011, 05:10 AM
I went in no judgment and came out quite satisfied. I think it's my favorite of the 3. Some aspects of the plot must be fanwanked or they're unexplained, and that's bothersome, but I'm over it. The only thing I truly wanted different was more Chloe! She's reduced to a minor character, though I know this game just wasn't about her anymore, so...

I have been having a lot of with its multiplayer as well. I don't do competitive online gaming, but I do enjoy co-op stuff. I've become quite the Arena addict. I just never tire of throwing people's grenades back at their balls.

Mo-Nercy
12-05-2011, 07:24 AM
I've spent the last two weeks marathoning Uncharted (I'd never played the first two) and with 1 and 2 fresh in my head as I played through 3, I can comfortably say it is the best by far.

I was somewhat disappointed by the lack of a proper final boss fight.

Loony BoB
12-06-2011, 06:23 PM
I have been having a lot of with its multiplayer as well. I don't do competitive online gaming, but I do enjoy co-op stuff. I've become quite the Arena addict. I just never tire of throwing people's grenades back at their balls.
I have to say, if my mates played this, I would. I played it a fair bit for Uncharted 2 and there is just so much more you can do in Uncharted multiplayer than CoD / Halo styled multiplayer games. I know Uncharted is primarily a single player game with a bit of multiplayer added on, but why is it that the games that focus so much on good multiplayer games can't have the thing that makes me love Uncharted multiplayer - the ability to hang, cling and climb around the map! It makes things so much more interesting and - for me, at least - makes it that slight little bit more intelligent than other FPS multiplayer games. You aren't just going around and proving who is the best shooter, you're also proving your talent at being very, very creative. And it's always fun to kill someone by hanging from a high ledge, grabbing their ankle and pulling them down to their doom. I just hate it when it gets done to me. :p

Del Murder
05-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Currently playing Uncharted 3. I've only played for 2 hours yet my save file says I'm 33% through the game. I hope this doesn't mean the game is only 6 hours long. I thought the prior two games were at least 10 hours.

I'm enjoying it, but I don't like that it's following a predictable formula. Confusing opening action scene where you don't know anything. Followed by attempt to steal some clue to some treasure. Scene where Nate explains the latest scheme to get treasure hid by some explorer years ago. Trek through jungle to find clue for treasure followed by exploration of ruins followed by bad guys showing up followed by firefight to get out of ruins. I'm sure some kind of betrayal will happen next, then we find the treasure only to realize it's not what we expected. Sigh.

I did like the flashback at the beginning and my hopes were up that it would flash back and forth between teen Nate and present Nate, but that hasn't happened so far. I guess I was just expecting something grander from this sequel rather than just another adventure. Still plenty of time left for that.

I will say that so far the action has been quite exciting and the game is one of the most visually stunning I have ever seen. The jungles in France were jaw dropping. How do they get shadows to do that in a game?

Del Murder
05-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Finished Uncharted 3. It was very fun to play, but I was disappointed in the lack of innovation in the story or characters. The story is almost the same thing as U2. In fact, the final areas could be swapped and you wouldn't notice much difference other than there being a different bad guy. On that note, I'm not sure why Marlowe is credited with being a great villain. She was barely in it. I think the boss battles in U2 were also much better, especially the final boss. U3's 'final boss' wasn't much of a battle at all. I didn't like how the one-on-one fights were mostly just mashing square and pressing triangle when it told you to. This is a shooting game. Let's have a boss that involves shooting!

My main gripe is that nothing really happened in this game. I was sad when Sully was shot, but that turned out to be fake. Even though I love Sully and was glad he survived, for the story it would have made more sense that he be killed in this game. This whole game was about the relationship between Drake and Sully and how Drake continues to drag the old man into these situations. And for what? That was the other point of the game. Why does Drake push for these crazy adventures? Killing Sully would have given Drake pause and made him consider what is actually important to him. In the end, though, they both get out alive and everything is back where it started.

Also, regarding Drake and Elena: What happened to them between U2 and U3? Is this explained anywhere. I hate when games/shows/movies do this. Get the guy and girl together at the end of the prior game/film only to have them break up either shortly before or at the beginning of the sequel. That way you can do the same thing over again. It's been done too many times and I didn't like seeing it here.

In the end, I enjoyed playing it, but I guess I wanted more out of a full sequel. I will say that all the action scenes were thrilling, especially the timed parts where you have to run and jump through various things to avoid spiders/police/rubble/etc. Those were a blast. I hope this isn't the last main Uncharted game because it's a pretty lackluster way to go out.

Kirobaito
05-10-2012, 02:50 AM
I played UC3 in January. It was fun, like the others, but I agree with Mr. Murder that the plot lines are starting to get a little repetitive. You can't forget the addition of some kind of magic or unnatural creature in the final area - the zombies in 1, Yetis in 2, and genies in 3.

I will continue to play them because they're lots of fun and the acting and gameplay are great, but I hope they come up with a more original story for the next one.