PDA

View Full Version : Gay Bars

Yar
11-09-2011, 08:11 AM
I went to my first gay bar tonight. It was a success! Got some guy to teach me how to dance and then things spiraled out of control from there. :kakapo:

Have you been to a gay bar?

Bubba
11-09-2011, 08:26 AM
I'm from Manchester, UK which has a huge gay scene and subsequently have quite a few gay friends. There are loads of cool bars down canal street which I will attend on occasion.

There are a few extreme places that I've heard about that I don't bother with but most of them are pretty cool.

I've found in the past that it's actually a really sweet place to pick up girls! I might have to make a return trip...

Loony BoB
11-09-2011, 10:23 AM
I don't think so, but maybe I have... there are quite a few in Edinburgh. I'm not big in clubbing though, and there are far more gay clubs here than gay bars. So I'm not certain I've been to one or not.

Iceglow
11-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Last time I went to a gay bar with one of my gay friends in Soho London was disappointing. The bouncer on the door who was also clearly gay refused entry to myself and about 5 other people who were with our friend because it was obvious we were straight. Yes, I was refused entry on heterophobic reasons. And gay people often complain that they receive homophobia. Even more ironic I've been told on more than one occasion I trigger people's "gaydar" lol

Bubba
11-09-2011, 12:40 PM
The bouncer on the door who was also clearly gay refused entry to myself and about 5 other people who were with our friend because it was obvious we were straight. Yes, I was refused entry on heterophobic reasons. And gay people often complain that they receive homophobia.

Unfortunately, this all too common. It happens a lot in Manchester as well. I can understand if it was group of lairy straight lads but if it's just a normal, straight guy with some gay friends then it is blatant discrimination. Luckily, I haven't been turned away once for this reason... maybe I should stop wearing tight shirts...

Peegee
11-09-2011, 01:40 PM
if i visit dignified trolland this next month, he'll drag me kicking and screaming to a gay bar.

hopefully this one won't throw me out for saying 'let's get the fuck out of here' shortly before getting up to leave.

yeah i was leaving anyway LOSER

what bar bans swearing anyway? gay bars - that's what.

that said - lesbians make great conversationalists. like one hundred thousand times better than the smartest dick chasing women.

Jessweeee♪
11-09-2011, 02:30 PM
The gay night club is the only night club that's any good in this town. I don't go clubbing or to bars, but I imagine it'll be the first one I go to since it's the only one my friends will step foot in. It's either that or the country music club with all of its misogyny.

Pike
11-09-2011, 03:20 PM
No, but I've never been to a regular bar either, because I'm a loser nerd who lives in her dad's basement.

Madame Adequate
11-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Yes, I was refused entry on heterophobic reasons. And gay people often complain that they receive homophobia.

Right up there with being tied to a truck and dragged to your death or being raped and murdered for being gay. Those homofaguals just don't know how good they have it!

Loony BoB
11-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Yes, I was refused entry on heterophobic reasons. And gay people often complain that they receive homophobia.
Right up there with being tied to a truck and dragged to your death or being raped and murdered for being gay. Those homofaguals just don't know how good they have it!
I'm not usually the first to jump to the defence of Iceglow, but I think you're taking what he said the wrong way. He's not saying "Omg, they complain that they are victims of homophobia but that totally isn't as bad as the heterophobia I've been a victim of!" - he's (I believe) saying that "they complain that they are victims of homophobia, which they are, but how can you complain about discrimination against your sexual orientation when you discriminate against the sexual orientation of others?"

Madame Adequate
11-09-2011, 04:49 PM
I interpreted it the first way! But even taking the second way - because some gay people are not other gay people.

Loony BoB
11-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Not painting all with the same stick - just regarding specific people, in this case the bouncer. People should not be discriminated against for the sexual orientation. Even weirdos like Iceglow. ...but only just even.

Yar
11-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I think Iceglow should have been able to go in. But you have to expect to be hit on by other guys. If you get irritated by that, then you're forgetting you're in the wrong place.

Peegee
11-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Actually I do have a right to not be sexually harassed, Justy.

blackmage_nuke
11-09-2011, 07:31 PM
I think it depends on if your straight friends were cute enough. They are running a business after all.

Levian
11-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Yes, seeing as I'm gay I guess I'd be the target audience. It's definitely an interesting scene, if you get there too early or alone you'll be hoarded by old men, and other than at gay bars I don't often get to talk to drunk transvestites with fruit baskets on their heads. So yeah, it's fun. I don't expect to find a life partner there though.

NorthernChaosGod
11-09-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm not even aware of any gay bars in my city. There is a gay part of town though.

Shlup
11-09-2011, 10:45 PM
I don't often go to bars in general. They're loud and expensive and as it is all I have to do to get laid is ask.

If we're at a bar, you can pretty much guarantee one of our single friends insisted.

Iceglow
11-10-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm not usually the first to jump to the defence of Iceglow, but I think you're taking what he said the wrong way. He's not saying "Omg, they complain that they are victims of homophobia but that totally isn't as bad as the heterophobia I've been a victim of!" - he's (I believe) saying that "they complain that they are victims of homophobia, which they are, but how can you complain about discrimination against your sexual orientation when you discriminate against the sexual orientation of others?"

BoB is exactly right about what I mean. The ones who complain about homophobic comments or actions taken against them are often the ones who intentionally or not display the most heterophobic behaviour.

Yeah, I think Iceglow should have been able to go in. But you have to expect to be hit on by other guys. If you get irritated by that, then you're forgetting you're in the wrong place.

I go to a gay bar expecting that guys will hit on me, I don't go in there expecting guys to sexually assault me (I've watched a guy do this to a friend of ours on an occasion to a gay bar, walked up and physically began groping him. He was straight it wasn't cool. The guy didn't even apologize when we told him to back off) I don't have an issue with being hit on by guys or by girls it's flattering either way.

fire_of_avalon
11-10-2011, 12:41 AM
I had to. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTN6Du3MCgI&feature=related)

Shlup
11-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Thank you for taking the bullet for us, foa.

DMKA
11-10-2011, 04:26 AM
I've been to a few of them. Two of them were plain old gay bars in Phoenix, no real theme or anything, though it was mostly dudes a tad older than me, and the nights ended up being just stupid drunken fun, dancing etc.

The other one I went to however, was a gay country cowboy bar in Oklahoma City, and I kept getting hit on and given phone numbers. Man did I feel out of place. It was still oddly fun to watch gay cowboys waltzing with each other to Brad Paisley and LeAnn Womack. :p

Oddly, I've lived in Columbus for three years now and never been to one since living here, which is ironic seeing as this is one of the gayest cities in the country and there almost as many gay bars as not gay bars. I suppose it's just because, I'm really not a bar person to be honest, and I'm really not a gay bar person. The thing with them is, on average, everyone there assumes you're there for the same reason they are...and I never am. :greenie:

Tigmafuzz
11-10-2011, 04:42 AM
I don't often go to bars in general. They're loud and expensive and as it is all I have to do to get laid is ask.
This. Also, most of the people there aren't too smart. I prefer to associate myself with people whose priorities are in order. Then again, if I was feeling extremely depressed and needed company, or needed to get extremely drunk for some reason and I just so happened to be carrying my fake I.D., then I might go to a gay bar. But not a regular bar. Not in this city. Oh no.

GhandiOwnsYou
11-10-2011, 05:18 AM
I think what this thread is showing off is the amazing "reverse discrimination" phenomenon. This being that somehow discrimination against a majority isn't the same, that its some kind of weird offshoot that deserves to be seperated laway from "standard" discrimination. Look at whats being said and apply it equally (you know, that equality ideal we keep hearing about) to heteros.

What if a gay man was denied entry to a bar, because his presence would have made it so the other patrons couldn't relax and enjoy themselves? What if a black guy was denied entry because he didn't fit the demographic of a country club? How about if a woman was told to stay home because if she went to a Bar she should be expecting to get hit on all night, and if she didn't want that she should just leave? Its kinda twisted that people can justify these concepts as long as a minority is making the call.

Beside the point though, gay bars are pretty interesting. Back in the day, several of my frequent drinking buddies were lesbians, and they frequented one particular bar downtown. You think a hetero guy in a gay bar gets weird looks? Try a hetero guy in a lesbian bar. A lot of women just assumed I was gay and therefore "safe." It became easier to not correct them and just let them assume, took far too long to explain that i was hetero, dating someone, and hanging out with my lesbian friends in a gay bar for lack of anything else to do.

Yar
11-10-2011, 06:05 AM
I'm not even aware of any gay bars in my city. There is a gay part of town though.Is it the part of town you live in? :bigsmile:

I go to a gay bar expecting that guys will hit on me, I don't go in there expecting guys to sexually assault me (I've watched a guy do this to a friend of ours on an occasion to a gay bar, walked up and physically began groping him. He was straight it wasn't cool. The guy didn't even apologize when we told him to back off) I don't have an issue with being hit on by guys or by girls it's flattering either way.I didn't mean you specifically, and I'm sorry it came off that way. I meant that to people in general.

Loony BoB
11-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Even if you were gay then you would still have every right to be pissed off about some random person coming up and groping you without invitation.

G13
11-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Never been to one. Always thought it'd be kind of cool to go to Dempsey's, though. They've got men dressed as women on stage!

I'm not even aware of any gay bars in my city. There is a gay part of town though.

Your neighborhood? :jess:

Edit: Dammit Justin!

Jiro
11-10-2011, 11:21 AM
No, but I do want to hit up the Beat, which is a gay club in Brisbane. Apparently the best club in the state regardless, and plays the best music.

NorthernChaosGod
11-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Predictable fucks you are, both of you.

Laddy
11-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Clubs and bars do not appeal to me.

Yar
11-15-2011, 12:41 AM
Clubs and bars do not appeal to me.Me either, but I went and had the time of my life. And now I have a boy! :3