PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you did in games in the past.

MJN SEIFER
11-09-2011, 11:27 PM
First a Final Fantasy based one; I totally miss read the line "Attack while the tail's up! It's gonna counter with its laser." I thought it was telling me to attack when the tail was up, before the boss used its laser or something when in actual fact it was warning me that if I attacked when the tail was up it would counter with the laser - I kept attacking, and couldn't figure out why it kept firing the laser, and soon died. :(

One really stupid thing I did when I was about six or something was when I was playing a Mario game on my GameBoy was run straight on to a spiked floor - for some God Mistaken reason, it just didn't register they were dangerous. :roll2

Finally (for now) two mistakes I made while playing Zelda: Link's Awakening; this was my very first Zelda game, as you will soon see by the mistakes. Firstly, I had no idea how the menus worked, and once after pressing start I must have pressed my Sword Button, and unequipped it (I only had a sword and shield at that point) then I searched the whole area for my sword! I thought I'd dropped it or something - the really stupid thing is I was look for it for days! I eventually found what I had done purely by accident.

The second thing I did was refuse to go to the first dungeon for ages; why? Well on the map it simply read "Level 1: Tail Cave" and I thought that I must have somehow done level one because I thought it was going in order. So I just spent ages trying to get into level two, but couldn't find it.

Jessweeee♪
11-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Tomb Raider 2: I always lock the butler up in the freezer in Lara's Home. I do this now because it's fun, but I did it back then because he scared me.

Pike
11-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Once I forgot to change my social engineering civics in SMAC and didn't remember until I was on the very last tech. I also went through a good half of another SMAC game without making formers, because again, I'd forgotten.

Skyblade
11-10-2011, 01:58 AM
First a Final Fantasy based one; I totally miss read the line "Attack while the tail's up! It's gonna counter with its laser." I thought it was telling me to attack when the tail was up, before the boss used its laser or something when in actual fact it was warning me that if I attacked when the tail was up it would counter with the laser - I kept attacking, and couldn't figure out why it kept firing the laser, and soon died. :(

I hate that line. Because the dialogue is literally:
"Attack while the tail's up!"
"It's gonna counter with its laser."
Since it comes in two lines, and the first line is literally telling you the exact opposite of the proper strategy, almost everyone screws up this fight the first time around, just because they enter their commands before line 2 pops up.

Rostum
11-10-2011, 02:18 AM
I remember in FFVII when I first got a Chocobo to get over the marshland and avoid the Midgardsormr I had trouble getting in to the Mithril Mines because it just did not click that I had to get off the Chocobo first, especially since you can view the killed-snake scene whilst on the Chocobo. Hell, I ended up checking an FAQ and it said nothing about getting off the Chocobo.

Once I realised, I thought I was the dumbest thing alive. Still do. :D

This really confused me at first, especially because I had no concept of what a memory card was at the time and had to keep playing from the start.

NorthernChaosGod
11-10-2011, 05:20 AM
I remember grinding out some levels in FF8. :|

Iceglow
11-10-2011, 06:32 AM
I remember killing someone on halo 3 like 700 times before they quit. I'd totally do it again.

G13
11-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Said "stupid things", not "hilarious".

I've been playing BioShock 2 a lot lately. That in itself is stupid enough, but that's not what I'm most angry about. Every time I miss the green or blue areas while hacking a health station, or accidentally hit a red one thus calling those stupid homicidal robots, if my health gets too low I use one of my health packs, my not easily obtainable health packs, rather than just, oh I don't know, using the damn health station sitting right in front of me that I'm trying to hack. Seriously, you'd think I'd learn

Pheesh
11-10-2011, 09:27 AM
I spent a whole weekend trying to kill Seymour in Macalania temple and dying every time, before a friend told me that if you scroll down the summon list you have Shiva at your disposal. I killed him first time after that.

MJN SEIFER
11-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Since it comes in two lines, and the first line is literally telling you the exact opposite of the proper strategy, almost everyone screws up this fight the first time around, just because they enter their commands before line 2 pops up. Yeah, it's very badly written. I think that it's probably supposed to be "If you attack when the tails up..., but I may have been translated badly? I dunno, it's not very clear.

I remember grinding out some levels in FF8. :| I still do that for fun, which reminds me of a stupid mistake I made - I thought the line "Enemies level up as you do." meant that if I leveled up they'ed match my level, which isn't the case, as they still level up even if you don't so, it's okay to grind if you back yourself up.

Jessweeee♪
11-10-2011, 02:14 PM
I spent a whole weekend trying to kill Seymour in Macalania temple and dying every time, before a friend told me that if you scroll down the summon list you have Shiva at your disposal. I killed him first time after that.

Ahahaha that got me too. How was I supposed to know?!

NorthernChaosGod
11-10-2011, 03:27 PM
I remember grinding out some levels in FF8. :| I still do that for fun, which reminds me of a stupid mistake I made - I thought the line "Enemies level up as you do." meant that if I leveled up they'ed match my level, which isn't the case, as they still level up even if you don't so, it's okay to grind if you back yourself up.
The only grinding I do in that game really is drawing magic.

Skyblade
11-10-2011, 03:55 PM

Because they literally say "Yuna, use the new aeon!" after Seymour summon Anima?

Bolivar
11-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Most recently Xenogears, one of the repair bots before the fight with Elly and her 7 dudes, I think there's an option to not trust him and for some reason I was like "Smurf that!" and went at him. Not really sure why, but it was a good thing I had a back-up save.

Flying Arrow
11-10-2011, 05:11 PM

Since it comes in two lines, and the first line is literally telling you the exact opposite of the proper strategy, almost everyone screws up this fight the first time around, just because they enter their commands before line 2 pops up.

Not only that but the first line is an imperative. With the second line it read as if you need to attack or else it will start using its laser. It's just tremendously sloppy translation.

Most recently Xenogears, one of the repair bots before the fight with Elly and her 7 dudes, I think there's an option to not trust him and for some reason I was like "Smurf that!" and went at him. Not really sure why, but it was a good thing I had a back-up save.

I did the same thing during my second attempt at finishing Xenogears. I hate this part. Like, why would they even give you an option to accidentally take out your only upgrade station at this point? There have been a handful of dialogue options in the game so far, so it's natural you want to examine them all. And why is 'I don't trust you' a euphamism for fighting.

I've never finished Xenogears.

Most recently for me, attacking a plot critical NPC in Dark Souls, causing him to leave the gameworld and more or less leaving me with no guidance or plot exposition for the rest of the game. I managed to piece everything together myself well enough, but man I was salty about this for like a week. Worst part was that I was actively attacking. I didn't just set the controller down and cut him the way it can happen. I was consciously filling him with arrows because I thought he was just another monster. Argghhh. Still a great game though. Really looking forward to seeing the actual story on my second run-through.

Old Manus
11-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Tomb Raider 2: I always lock the butler up in the freezer in Lara's Home. I do this now because it's fun, but I did it back then because he scared me.Oh my God yes. Then he'd try and walk through the door and the horrendous clipping would make it look like he was half in and half out. All the while he's making muffled groans. I used to actively avoid the tutorial level on both TR2 and TR3.

MJN SEIFER
11-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Does having a heart attack the first time I had a "Time's Up" death count? I was just a kid, and Mario just died for no reason, so it was kinda shocking.

demondude
11-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Killing that Dwayne bloke in GTA IV and running off a cliff in Dark Souls. I knew it was there and I knew I could have stopped but I just ... fell off it.

Bolivar
11-10-2011, 09:19 PM
I did the same thing during my second attempt at finishing Xenogears. I hate this part. Like, why would they even give you an option to accidentally take out your only upgrade station at this point? There have been a handful of dialogue options in the game so far, so it's natural you want to examine them all. And why is 'I don't trust you' a euphamism for fighting.

LOL yo I'm really sorry to hear that man, but lucky for you it's not too many hours in, and I don't think anything in the remainder of the game comes anywhere near the challenge of that Vierge fight, nor with the ability to screw your file over in such a profound way.

Jessweeee♪
11-10-2011, 11:48 PM

Because they literally say "Yuna, use the new aeon!" after Seymour summon Anima?

I was expecting a scripted event where they were like "oh no, the Aeon is far too powerful" (because omg it is) and then there would be a cutscene where an aeon comes and saves the day!

MJN SEIFER
11-10-2011, 11:56 PM

I was expecting a scripted event where they were like "oh no, the Aeon is far too powerful" (because omg it is) and then there would be a cutscene where an aeon comes and saves the day!
That's actually pretty plauable.

Jessweeee♪
11-11-2011, 01:59 AM
See this is why they shouldn't make boss fights where you have to lose.

Flying Arrow
11-11-2011, 02:52 PM

LOL yo I'm really sorry to hear that man, but lucky for you it's not too many hours in, and I don't think anything in the remainder of the game comes anywhere near the challenge of that Vierge fight, nor with the ability to screw your file over in such a profound way.

Well, that part is like 12 hours in. And actually I have tried another playthrough since then. Got past that part and gave up at the really, really, really, long bit in the desert. The first time I played the game years ago I stopped at the sewer area.

Tl;dr: I hate Xenogears and I'll never finish it.

GhandiOwnsYou
11-12-2011, 02:56 AM
Dark souls. I tried for about 2 hours to beat the first boss, the one that drops on you five minutes in. I did this because i never realized there was a door behind him to get a legitimate weapon, healing flasks, and a shield. I kept wacking away with my little sword hilt, confounded as to why he wouldn't die and marveling at the how difficult it was.

Jiro
11-12-2011, 04:25 AM
Dark souls. I tried for about 2 hours to beat the first boss, the one that drops on you five minutes in. I did this because i never realized there was a door behind him to get a legitimate weapon, healing flasks, and a shield. I kept wacking away with my little sword hilt, confounded as to why he wouldn't die and marveling at the how difficult it was.

I did this the first time, but then I saw the hint thing that said "RUN THE FUCK AWAY MAN" and so I did.

Pete for President
11-12-2011, 07:49 AM
While crafting ultimate armours in FFX, I headed down to the omega ruins to randomly encounter Machea for each one. What I should have done was just visit the Monster Arena to bribe some. That would have saved me quite a few hours.

Iceglow
11-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Said "stupid things", not "hilarious".

True enough I suppose, I guess it should be Julian posting the line "I let 2 guys kill me like 700 times over the course of 3 hours before I quit."

I usually end up going completely overboard on stuff like herb/plant collecting in Elder Scrolls games. So much so that I end up never actually getting anywhere in the storyline. Oh and in Morrowind? I guarantee I get lost within 2 seconds of leaving the tutorial area I have no idea where the hell I'm supposed to go.

Gamblet
12-16-2011, 01:13 PM
I was playing Final Fantasy III on NES and when I went to the Bahamutīs nest there was that guy Desh who told to run away, but I still battled Bahamut not even thinking of escaping, I thought that he was defeatable. My party was almost dead with a few members with a small amount of HP left, then I realized after 15 minutes of hitting that I should run away.