PDA

View Full Version : EoFF Speed Challenge: Super Mario World (Voting on what to play next!)

Levian
11-10-2011, 01:37 PM

After playing through Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Megaman 3, it's now time to breeze through Super Mario World for the SNES!

For those of you not familiar with this challenge, don't worry! All will be explained. We'll start playing the game at the same time and first person to beat the game wins! During the speed run we'll all communicate through Skype, so if you have a microphone or internal mic that would be the best, but there's also a text window open so you can communicate via text as well. It's definitely more fun to play if you can also listen in to the progress of your competitors!

For each game there's going to be specific rules, and here are the rules for Super Mario World.

- Star road is off limits
- Whoever beats Bowser first wins.
- You can get to Bowser through whichever route you'd like. (outside star road) The shortest route is 32 levels, taking another route or completing switch palaces is entirely optional.
- We're playing the SNES version.
- No Save states!

If there's anything I've missed, feel free to pitch in! :)

Here are the times for the different time zones:

Los Angeles - 4PM, Sunday
New York - 7PM, Sunday
UK - 12AM, Monday
Australia - 9AM, Monday

(are these times correct? I suck at daylight savings stuff.)

Crop
11-10-2011, 02:19 PM
I have Super Mario World and a SNES, so I can totally do this! I don't think anyone here has my skype yet though, so I'll give it out to those taking part.
Sounds fun.

Jiro
11-10-2011, 02:48 PM
I would like to trash talk or something but I'm probably gonna lose again :jess: BUT I WILL HAVE MORE FUN THAN ALL OF YOU

The Aus time is correct for everyone except QLD and WA, which is only me and Happy Noodle Boy, effectively.

Slothy
11-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Cool. I'll try and get out to grab a cheap mic before this goes down so I'm not stuck with text chat the whole time. I will warn everyone that I haven't played Mario World in some time and it usually takes me a while to get into the groove again, so expect a lot of swearing.

- You can get to Bowser through whichever route you'd like. (outside star road) The shortest route is 38 levels, taking another route or completing switch palaces is entirely optional.

I had to take a look at a map of the game to be sure, but I'm fairly certain it can be done in as few as 32 levels using some secret paths which don't involve the star road. That said, I specifically remember some of the secrets, and a few of the levels you'd have to do being such a massive pain in the ass that the direct route with no secrets is probably faster. Especially for anyone who will be a bit out of practice like me.

NorthernChaosGod
11-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Cool, I get to use my Turtle Beach headset again. I'm looking forward to talking with all of you.

Everyone post Skype names so I don't have to go look for them.

Jiro
11-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Sounds like I'll be relying on Levian's generosity once again as he gives me hints and tips! :p

EDIT:

EDIT2: Cannot help but read that as pancake attack

Slothy
11-10-2011, 03:41 PM
You want hints and tips?

- Yoshi is good, but never be afraid to jump off (A button) if death is imminent.
- The cape is godly. You can literally fly right over a lot of levels without actually having to play them.
- Always run as fast as you can and never stop. ESPECIALLY if you think you're about to die. You won't get anywhere in this game without doubling down on danger. :kakapo:

Levian
11-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Cool. I'll try and get out to grab a cheap mic before this goes down so I'm not stuck with text chat the whole time. I will warn everyone that I haven't played Mario World in some time and it usually takes me a while to get into the groove again, so expect a lot of swearing.

- You can get to Bowser through whichever route you'd like. (outside star road) The shortest route is 38 levels, taking another route or completing switch palaces is entirely optional.

I had to take a look at a map of the game to be sure, but I'm fairly certain it can be done in as few as 32 levels using some secret paths which don't involve the star road. That said, I specifically remember some of the secrets, and a few of the levels you'd have to do being such a massive pain in the ass that the direct route with no secrets is probably faster. Especially for anyone who will be a bit out of practice like me.

Ah, yes you're right. 32 should be the shortest route. I forgot about the tunnel on chocolate island and the secret path to that small tower in the final world. Still, I remember those being a bit of a tit to actually get to, so I think I'm just going to go the normal route. I traced the route I'm probably going to take below.

NorthernChaosGod
11-10-2011, 08:34 PM
I want to clear something up. We're only avoiding Star Road as means of clearing the game faster, right? So say I wanted to unlock the blue Yoshi for use in my run, is that cool?

Del Murder
11-10-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm going to get 100% completion and still beat you guys by about 5 minutes. :cool:

NorthernChaosGod
11-10-2011, 08:36 PM
You know damn well you're not going to clear the special zone before we all beat Bowser. :colbert:

Levian
11-10-2011, 11:55 PM
I want to clear something up. We're only avoiding Star Road as means of clearing the game faster, right? So say I wanted to unlock the blue Yoshi for use in my run, is that cool?

Yeah, I guess that should be fine!

Slothy
11-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Blue Yoshi? He's even more broken than the cape.

I'll get through the game like a real man thank you very much.

VeloZer0
11-11-2011, 12:42 AM
You heard it here first, no Yoshi's, capes, flowers or mushrooms for Vivi.

If you want a special challenge run the game at 3x frame skip the whole time. I highly doubt you will get through any quicker. ;)

Levian
11-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Blue Yoshi might just as well slow you down. First you'd have to get access to him, and you'd have to go back to star road for each time you lost him as well. many of the levels are dungeons/ghost houses as well.

Slothy
11-11-2011, 12:59 AM
That's true. Luckily a lot of the later levels don't even have many Koopa's, let alone make it easy for you to fly through the whole thing. I'm having trouble remembering right now if you can even get him in the level you reach from Donut Plains. You might have to do the entire Star Road to get around to the right level, but I might be mistaken.

You heard it here first, no Yoshi's, capes, flowers or mushrooms for Vivi.

I thought someone might suggest that. I'm actually kind of tempted to tell you the truth. Hell, there are a lot of levels that are easier small.

Oh, and my skype is v1v122.

The Man
11-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Blue Yoshi is in Star World 2, so he's not that out of the way. Still, it's debatable whether getting him that way would save any time. It's probably faster to use the Yoshi wings available on Butter Bridge whatever Cheese Bridge Area.

Levian
11-11-2011, 01:13 AM
Isn't it the star in Vanilla Dome that's connected to the blue yoshi level?

Slothy
11-11-2011, 01:59 AM
Isn't it the star in Vanilla Dome that's connected to the blue yoshi level?

I tested it just now and it is. It's actually less out of the way than I thought if you go over Vanilla Dome instead of through it. Actually, assuming you can handle the levels up there, going over means fewer levels to get to castle 4 than going through. And you get to skip castle 3 which I've always found to be a bit of a dick of a level.

Marshall Banana
11-11-2011, 04:58 AM
Ooooooooooooooooooooh!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NorthernChaosGod
11-11-2011, 08:04 AM
I know my Super Mario World, guize. And the only rules we specified was no skipping levels through Star Road so :p.

Crop
11-11-2011, 12:33 PM
My Skype name is cropolite

Looking forward to leaving you all in the dust.

Levian
11-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Well, it's still not too late to ditch the idea of blue yoshi and the star road all together, if that makes everyone start more on even ground. I don't really know how much of an advantage it's going to bring, I don't remember the levels all that well. Up to you guys!

Also, I forgot to write this in the rules, but no save states! That should be a given by now, though. I'll add it.

edit: Lulz at the really small super mario world pic in the opening post.

edit2: My skype handle is gulpestyggen, and I added you all to skype just now.

Slothy
11-11-2011, 04:15 PM
If NCG wants to get Blue Yoshi then that's fine by me. I'll do it without him and still beat him to Bowser.

Del Murder
11-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Same here. I don't need any stinking yoshis to beat you all.

NorthernChaosGod
11-11-2011, 06:52 PM
You're all going to be kissing my blue dino's ass.

Levian
11-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Allright cool, looks like we're set on the rules. Looking forward to Sunday!

Levian
11-12-2011, 03:01 AM
How about we also write down our progress in the same format? For easier reading and comprehension and all that. Maybe something like this?

#1: Iggy's Castle completed at:
#2: Morton's Castle completed at:
#3: Lemmy's Castle or Vanilla Fortress completed at:
#4: Ludwig's Castle completed at:
#5: Roy's Castle completed at:
#6: Wendy's Castle completed at:
#7: Larry's Castle or Valley Fortress completed at:
#8: Super Mario World completed at:

checkpoint 3 and 7 have multiple routes, so just pick whichever applies there. Also since we're in different timezones, instead of writing how much the clock is, it might be better to write how much time you've spent gaming up until that point.

Jiro
11-12-2011, 04:22 AM
This is going to be a very interesting challenge. I'll laugh if I beat anyone :hahaha:

Slothy
11-12-2011, 04:31 AM
This is going to be a very interesting challenge. I'll laugh if I beat anyone :hahaha:

I've been playing this game longer than you've been alive. If you beat me I might just have to just slit my damn wrists.

Fucking kids...

VeloZer0
11-12-2011, 04:34 AM
If you beat me I might just have to just slit my damn wrists.

That would be a... memorable... end to the challenge.

Jiro
11-12-2011, 04:34 AM
I didn't realise you were so old, don't let your arthritis get in the way of the game :hahaha:

(The trash talk begins now folks)

Slothy
11-12-2011, 04:36 AM
I'm not that old, though I was old enough for your mom when I took a trip to Aussie land 19 years ago.

Jiro, I am your father.

Jiro
11-12-2011, 04:43 AM
I like that option a lot better. Cheers pa.

Del Murder
11-12-2011, 07:19 AM
I guess that makes me your grandfather. Sorry to have to break it to you this way, Vivi.

Jiro
11-12-2011, 07:40 AM
How am I this awesome if I come from such disappointing stock? :greenie:

Slothy
11-12-2011, 01:04 PM
You know it's not too late for me to retroactively abort you. :colbert:

Evastio
11-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Out of curiousity, do you guys go through the Butter Bridge route or the Cheese Bridge route? Butter Bridge is shorter in terms of the amount of levels but one is automatic scrolling, slowing you down significantly and Cheese Bridge has one extra level and a couple of levels you can't fly through, but more time cutting potential (with Yoshi wings in the Cheese Bridge Area and the shortcut in Lemmy's Castle).

Slothy
11-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Personally, I'd lean towards going through Cheese Bridge, though it's a tough call. I think the levels are a bit harder overall if you go through Butter Bridge, but I honestly hate Lemmy's Castle. Especially if I smurf up and die trying to get the short cut because Magikoopa really pisses me off. That said, I did a quick trial run earlier in the week to test out my PC controller and see how it felt (I never played Mario World with it and I literally would have bought a new one if I didn't like the feel), and got to Lemmy's Castle, including pulling off the shortcut without too much trouble. So I'll likely go that way and hope I don't end up having a bad night.

Honestly though, Lemmy's Castle is the only sticking point for me, which is funny given how early it shows up. If I get through there with no trouble then things will be good.

Del Murder
11-13-2011, 06:52 PM
I finally found a PSP SNES emulator that doesn't suck so I will be playing this on PSP. Unlike Vivi the ringer I'm not going to play a bunch of practice runs to carefully plot out my route and brush up on my rusty skills. I will be picking this up having not played it for 15 years and letting all come back to me on the fly like a real man.

Slothy
11-13-2011, 07:02 PM
My practice run was little more than me making sure everything worked properly and my controller still worked. Wouldn't want there to be any delays in my kicking your asses tonight.

It's not my fault the game is too addictive to simply put down without beating a few castles first.

Levian
11-13-2011, 08:24 PM
haven't played the game since I went to Thailand in 2005, so should be fun! I played the crap out of this game when I was younger though, so many levels should be familiar.

3,5 hours to go!

Depression Moon
11-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Wish I could do this, but I have some tests to study for.

VeloZer0
11-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Loser

NorthernChaosGod
11-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Lol. I basically did the same thing as Vivi. I had to test how my controller would work in the game. And with a cast. Is it too late to call for a handicap? :p

Slothy
11-13-2011, 10:43 PM
A cast? On what body part? Assuming it's actually on one of your hands then I won't make fun of you for using blue Yoshi.

Well, not as much anyway.

NorthernChaosGod
11-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Lol. Yes, my left hand is in a cast.

The Man
11-13-2011, 11:13 PM
So yeah, sorry dudes but it looks like I'm not going to have the opportunity to participate in this due to when it's taking place. Hope you guys have fun though :monster:

Jiro
11-13-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm awake oh god this is too early

first time out of bed before midday in a fortnight you're cruel to me

Slothy
11-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Move to Canada. It's only 7:30pm here.

NorthernChaosGod
11-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Move to California, it's 3:26 PM.

Jiro
11-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Not long now. NOT LONG AT ALL.

Slothy
11-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Nine minutes son.

Jiro
11-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Let's get ready to rumble!

Levian
11-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Joining us in skype, vivi and Del?

NorthernChaosGod
11-13-2011, 11:58 PM
We're almost ready to start this bitch.

Jiro
11-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Place keeping post.

#1: Iggy's Castle completed at: 10 minutes!
#2: Morton's Castle completed at: 37 minutes!
#3: Lemmy's Castle or Vanilla Fortress completed at:
#4: Ludwig's Castle completed at:
#5: Roy's Castle completed at:
#6: Wendy's Castle completed at:
#7: Larry's Castle or Valley Fortress completed at:
#8: Super Mario World completed at:

Levian
11-14-2011, 12:01 AM
#1: Iggy's Castle completed at: 6 minutes
#2: Morton's Castle completed at: 16 minutes
#3: Lemmy's Castle completed at: 30 minutes
#4: Ludwig's Castle completed at: 35 minutes
#5: Roy's Castle completed at: 53 minutes
#6: Wendy's Castle completed at: 1 hour 21 minutes
#7: Valley Fortress completed at: 1 hour 42 minutes
#8: Super Mario World completed at: 1 hour 46 minutes

NorthernChaosGod
11-14-2011, 12:08 AM
#1: Iggy's Castle completed at: 8 minutes in
#2: Morton's Castle completed at: 23 minutes in :|
#3: Lemmy's Castle or Vanilla Fortress completed at: 37 minutes
#4: Ludwig's Castle completed at: 48 minutes
#5: Roy's Castle completed at: 1 hour 2 minutes
#6: Wendy's Castle completed at: 1 hour 32 minutes
#7: Larry's Castle or Valley Fortress completed at: 1 hour 47 minutes
#8: Super Mario World completed at: 1 hour 58 minutes

Now I remember why I love the Back Door entrance.

Slothy
11-14-2011, 12:18 AM
#1: Iggy's Castle completed at: not sure
#2: Morton's Castle completed at: 17 minutes
#3: Lemmy's Castle completed at: 31 minutes
#4: Ludwig's Castle completed at: 38 minutes
#5: Roy's Castle completed at: 55 minutes
#6: Wendy's Castle completed at: 80 minutes
#7: Larry's Castle or Valley Fortress completed at: 109 minutes
#8: Super Mario World completed at: 127 minutes

Fuck I forgot how much longer it takes when you go to Bowser's front door instead of the back. That and some stupid mistakes kept me from winning damn it.

Del Murder
11-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Had to bow out due to emulator issues. Game kept freezing at Iggy's boss fight. :( Guess there will be a new champion crowned today!

Instead I am now going to go build a tent in my living room.

Jiro
11-14-2011, 01:22 AM
This shit is stupid. FUCKING YOSHI WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME MAN.

I'M NOT LOSING THIS

Levian
11-14-2011, 01:47 AM
and I beat the game :D first one, or did someone else already make it?

Jiro
11-14-2011, 01:48 AM
smurfing crashed and lost my very meagre progress. Can't do this it's too painful. smurf YOU LEMMY YOU BITCH

EDIT: Levian is the champ, well done :party:

NorthernChaosGod
11-14-2011, 02:00 AM
Just under two hours for me. I am never doing this again.

Levian
11-14-2011, 02:03 AM
Haha! It was pretty close between all of us throughout the game. Perfect length to this game too. Maybe Super Mario 3 next time? :p

NorthernChaosGod
11-14-2011, 02:06 AM
It was! Even though I trailed behind you for most of it. Thank God I remembered to do the shortcut through Valley of Bowser. I like the idea of Mario 3 next.

Levian
11-14-2011, 02:09 AM
Yeah, that shortcut was pretty vital. Valley Fortress is killer and is probably the level that made me scream the most (alongside Wendy's castle), but getting to the back door is definitely worth it.

Crop
11-14-2011, 02:12 AM
I gave up at Valley of Bowser 2. Pretty much everyone had finished by then anyway.
Yeah Super Mario 3 sounds good...I'm slightly better at that one too :p

Slothy
11-14-2011, 02:13 AM
Yeah, I think I was close to even with Levian in the valley of Bowser, but I couldn't for the life of me remember how to get to the fortress so I said screw it and went to the front door. Had I not lost a ton of time dying in Bowsers castle because of it I think I could have been a very close second at least.

I'm not opposed to the idea of Mario 3 next, though truth be told I suck at it. Personally I'd prefer to do something other than another Mario game next, if only because after some of those levels I don't want to see Mario again any time soon. I liked the idea of Mega Man X when it was brought up (I swear it's easier than the NES Mega Man games Jiro). But I guess we'll see what everyone else is up for.

Jiro
11-14-2011, 02:19 AM
I'm in it for the company and the challenge, if I win then it's no fun :p

Slothy
11-14-2011, 02:21 AM
Keep in mind it's still a Mega Man game though. It's not exactly a walk in the park. Plus you get the awesome dash ability.

Jiro
11-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Hey I didn't do too badly in the last Mega Man game, it's just that Del was fucking insane.

Slothy
11-14-2011, 02:26 AM
If it makes you feel any better I didn't own a NES until I was into my 20's, so the first time I played the original Mega Man games was in the Mega Man Anniversary Collection. I'm not terrible at them, but they take me a long time (compared to some people anyway) to play through, and I've never actually beaten one.

Del Murder
11-14-2011, 03:11 AM
Congrats Lev!

Levian
11-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Let's just vote over which game goes next. I've added a poll to the thread, so just pick whichever you want to play. If you don't have a preference and want to play whichever game, just vote for both.

Please don't vote if you don't intend to play, your opinion is completely and utterly uninteresting to us.

But definitely feel welcome to vote if you're unsure whether you're going to make it or not, it's just the votes of those who're definitely not going to play that are pretty pointless.

I'm going to vote Super Mario Bros 3, mostly because I last beat Megaman X this summer, so my desire to play it again so soon isn't especially high. I'll join in on playing Megaman X if it gets picked though.

NorthernChaosGod
11-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Super Mario 3 is one of my favorites, but one I'm not very good at. I'd like the challenge.

Levian
11-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I think I'm definitely going to struggle much more with Mario 3 than Mario World. The evil sun from hell comes to mind. Also, that big fish in the water world.

NorthernChaosGod
11-14-2011, 07:55 PM
That fucking sun. :nonono:

Jiro
11-15-2011, 04:59 AM
I'm in the Mario mindset, I wouldn't mind going back for some more.

Bubba
11-15-2011, 10:31 AM
I was very close to joing the Super Mario World challenge last time but it was a midnight start here in the UK and I had work at 8am. I'll be fine this Sunday and the following Sunday if you wanted to keep the time the same.

I love Super Mario 3 but I reckon I might get distracted with mini games along the way! What's the policy on warp whistles? I assume since there was no Star Road last time that these won't be allowed?

EDIT: Assuming that the final choice is Super Mario 3, of course

NorthernChaosGod
11-15-2011, 03:06 PM
We discussed it a little before deciding on SMW and I believe it was no warp whistles.

Del Murder
11-15-2011, 06:39 PM
I voted MMX because it would be a change of pace from Mario. Also because I own the MMX Collection for PS2 and would avoid the whole emulation issue I had last time.

However, doesn't it take like 8 hours to beat SMB3 without whistles? I remembered trying to do it once when I was 10 and I was traumatized afterwards.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-15-2011, 08:26 PM
I'd be down for a Donkey Kong Country speed run.

Or for a fast one, a Turtles in Time speed run.

OR, Or, or a MGS1 speed run.

Del Murder
11-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Do you mean MGS?

sharkythesharkdogg
11-15-2011, 08:50 PM
:p:p Why yes I do!

EDIT.

Crop
11-15-2011, 09:42 PM
I vote SM3 since, as with SMW, I have the game for the SNES and I'll take any excuse to play that console.
I'm also better at it than SMW.

NorthernChaosGod
11-16-2011, 12:46 AM
I'd be down for a Donkey Kong Country speed run.

Or for a fast one, a Turtles in Time speed run.

OR, Or, or a MGS1 speed run.
I actually like all of these ideas.

Slothy
11-16-2011, 12:48 AM
However, doesn't it take like 8 hours to beat SMB3 without whistles? I remembered trying to do it once when I was 10 and I was traumatized afterwards.

This was a concern for me as well. I've tried beating it before without warp whistles, and even with saves and whatnot I don't usually make it much past world 2-3 in a single sitting. That would be a damn long game without at least one warp whistle being allowed.

Obviously my vote was for MMX though. Like I said, a change of pace after plowing through SMW on Sunday would be nice, though I think we're being handily outvoted on that.

I must say I don't mind the suggestions of Turtles in Time or MGS, though MGS would be out for me unless I can get a PSX emulator working on my computer. I tried months ago, but it was being too much of a pain in the ass considering my PS2 and PS3 are hooked up in the other room.

Levian
11-16-2011, 12:49 AM
Eh, looks like I'm not going to be able to make it, if we do this on sunday anyway. I've got two job interviews on Monday morning 300 km away, so I have to start travelling on Sunday.

I guess scratch my vote!

Turtles in time would make for a cute short speed run. Although it's one of those evil games where a game over is truly a game over and you have to start from the beginning. Still, would be fun!

Jiro
11-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Not MGS1, please. I am absolutely fucking garbage at that game, and am currently playing it very slowly at a mate's place. Not only would it be a pain in the ass for me to get emulated, it would also mean I failed even more than usual.

VeloZer0
11-16-2011, 12:41 PM
MGS would be an absolute nightmare for those who haven't beaten it yet. Though I do like adding Donkey Kong Country to the rotation.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-16-2011, 03:40 PM
I'd be down for one of the Contras. Like The Alien Wars.

Just not Shattered Solider. Fuck me, that game is hard! :cry: Fun, but brutal.

NorthernChaosGod
11-16-2011, 07:49 PM
If we go with Contra, I second Alien Wars. It's one of my favorites.

Jiro
11-17-2011, 01:45 AM
Erm looks like I'm pulling a Levian. I won't be here on Sunday/Monday 'cause I'll be hanging out with Mike Face/ getting my visa application finalised in ye olde Sydney.

I guess scratch my vote! :greenie: