PDA

View Full Version : Wingin' it

Jiro
11-14-2011, 12:42 PM
I have a bad habit of not investing the time and effort I should. This extends into a lot of things. However, I have a fairly good track record when it comes to making shit up on the fly or doing things without the proper preparation.

For instance, I delivered a 10 minute talk on the status of Palestine the other week with crap all research and absolutely no practice.

I did a 15-20 minute presentation as a student ambassador to a hall full of students without actually knowing what I was talking about. Being an ambassador is all about the art of bullshitting.

Also I believe my personal best for my pet event, the 400hurdles, was run when I just kind of rocked up to the race and ran cold.

Has it ever gone badly for you guys? It has for me, stupid maths exams :/

Discuss making shit up on the fly or make something else up, I don't care :monster:

Pike
11-14-2011, 03:03 PM
I winged basically all of high school and college. Not kidding, there were massive university projects worth 25% of a class grade that I didn't start until the night before they were due.

It turned out... okay. Could've gone better, obviously, seeing as I've gone nowhere in life. But... but... the vidya called!

Psychotic
11-14-2011, 05:42 PM
It never ends well.

Freya
11-14-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm a pro at it. That stands for professional.

NorthernChaosGod
11-14-2011, 07:32 PM
I've been slowing kicking my habit of procrastination. This past week I finished all my homework due today hours after the end of my last class. :monster:

Laddy
11-14-2011, 11:59 PM
I act. People assume it's some poignant process of learning lines down to the tee. Lies. I wing it.

Iceglow
11-15-2011, 01:17 AM
I wing a lot of things in life, generally my rule of thumb? When winging it, sound confident and never second guess yourself. If you do both of those most people will 110% believe that you're totally in the know.

Jiro
11-15-2011, 04:32 AM
It is comforting to know that other people are reckless like me :jess:

Shlup
11-15-2011, 10:30 PM
I winged basically all of high school and college. Not kidding, there were massive university projects worth 25% of a class grade that I didn't start until the night before they were due.

It turned out... okay. Could've gone better, obviously, seeing as I've gone nowhere in life. But... but... the vidya called!
Let's just pretend I made this post 'cause my experience was pretty much the same.

I almost never went to class and never did homework. Fortunately, most homework doesn't count in college and I am an excellent-test taker, so college was really my bag.

Rostum
11-16-2011, 12:27 AM
I used to wing it completely. But since getting my Bachelors I have started to put a whole lot of effort in to everything - and I've noticed it doesn't really get you anywhere special, despite the outstanding marks and recommendations.

Bubba
11-16-2011, 08:59 AM
I remember taking a Sociology exam in college having only had a brief read of my notes the night before. When it came to the crunch I was inspired! I was using examples of social behaviour that I had witnessed in my life and also reality TV programmes that I had seen the week before. I didn't have enough room on my exam paper for everything I was writing!

The incredible audacity of this move was matched only by it's resounding failure...

I achieved the lowest mark in the class... I did however, get a bonus point for drawing a festive hedgehog...

Jiro
11-16-2011, 11:26 AM
I used to wing it completely. But since getting my Bachelors I have started to put a whole lot of effort in to everything - and I've noticed it doesn't really get you anywhere special, despite the outstanding marks and recommendations.

This doesn't encourage me to work hard xD

Rye
11-16-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm finding that the harder a semester is, and the less I invest serious fore-thought and planning to a project, the better I do. Despite my classes getting harder. I absolutely hate this semester and am just drudging through it barely, and I might actually get a 4.0 GPA for it. Go figure.

NorthernChaosGod
11-16-2011, 03:11 PM
I remember taking a Sociology exam in college having only had a brief read of my notes the night before. When it came to the crunch I was inspired! I was using examples of social behaviour that I had witnessed in my life and also reality TV programmes that I had seen the week before. I didn't have enough room on my exam paper for everything I was writing!

The incredible audacity of this move was matched only by it's resounding failure...

I achieved the lowest mark in the class... I did however, get a bonus point for drawing a festive hedgehog...
*slow clap*

Crop
11-17-2011, 12:09 AM

Oh! Something similar happened to me in my Geography GCSE...except it totally worked for me.
I had 0 knowledge on Geography despite having taken it for 5 years, and was dropping a brick going into the exam thinking I was going to crash and burn...but as I turned over the first page of that exam paper I felt like the guy from A Beautiful Mind where all the numbers just click for him. All the answers just popped into my head and I just wrote on pure spontaneous knowledge.

Sadly earlier in the year I had the lowest score in the school on my Geography coursework which was worth 25% of the total score, so I came out with a high D grade.

fire_of_avalon
11-17-2011, 03:12 AM
I'm kind of winging life.

Eh.

Raistlin
11-17-2011, 04:10 AM
I'm a hardcore procrastinator. I completely winged all of high school and college, and easily got away with it because those were easy. I still wing as much as I can in law school, though it is not easy. I do have to actually study in law school, but I probably study only about 5-10% of the amount that I really should.

rubah
11-18-2011, 02:20 AM
I can't speak for everyone else in the Real World™, but I was the same way as you, but it hasn't been an issue since I got out of school.

♫♪♫‼Polly‼♪♫♪
11-19-2011, 05:39 PM
i wing everything. by which i mean i fly in the air and dive at every moving object i see and smack my wing into it. like a tackle, but from the air. with a wing.

Jiro
11-21-2011, 08:04 AM
Flying is pretty cool. I'd ask how you did it, but, uh, yeah :greenie: