PDA

View Full Version : Hot, hot, hot

Rye
11-16-2011, 04:25 PM
I love cooking, and lately I've been taking by trying to make the best curry I can possibly make. Really delicious, spicy curry. The last time we made some, I think it was basically the bottom tier of what could be considered Indian restaurant quality curry, which I think it's a major accomplishment for someone who doesn't cook professional or constantly. Delicious, but always room for improvement.

I think the only two times something was too spicy for me were:

:save: The time I had vindaloo curry in Leicester, from a super authentic restaurant. I practically shat fire. Otherwise, I'm always looking for hotter food.
:save: I had ghost pepper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhut_Jolokia_chili_pepper) sauce for my wings. That was so spicy it made me sick and I only had a small bite. Unpleasant tier of spiciness.

Do you like spicy food? Do you try to make it? Give me some suggestions and ingredients. I want to make some 5-alarm chili soon. I also really like putting spicy sauce and pepper flakes in chicken, apple and havarti cheese sandwiches.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-16-2011, 04:33 PM
I love spicy food - I've only had Indian a few times but I always enjoy it. I highly recommend ginger beer if you're looking for a spicy beverage: like ginger ale but way spicier. I like spicy sausages as well, though the really spicy ones can be a little hard to take. I don't actually cook shit though, so I've never gone beyond food prepared by someone else. :P But yeah, spicy food is the shit.

Rye
11-16-2011, 04:39 PM
I've never had ginger beer!!! I have to find it. Any brands specifically of it I can look for?

Ultima Shadow
11-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Give me some suggestions and ingredients.
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGPlpyr_BCM&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL5662954AA66E775D)

Vincent, Thunder God
11-16-2011, 05:36 PM
I've never had ginger beer!!! I have to find it. Any brands specifically of it I can look for?

Well at my grocery store they usually have a brand called Old Tyme with a pirate on it, it's pretty good - just right in terms of spiciness IMO and it's of a reasonable size. I'm not sure if it's readily available where you live, but here in Canada it seems to be pretty easy to get. But it you can't find it, there's this site which has a list of supposedly the best brands, though I haven't tried them: Thinking of Drinking: Taste Tests: Ginger Beers, Part I (http://thinkingofdrinking.blogspot.com/2008/01/taste-tests-ginger-beers-part-i.html)

Madame Adequate
11-16-2011, 05:47 PM
There was nowt authentic about that place.

Rye
11-16-2011, 05:57 PM
The place near your house? The place where literally every person was south asian?

Madame Adequate
11-16-2011, 06:09 PM
The place that was for middle-class white people to pretend they're having authentic Indian curry?

Yes, that place!

Miriel
11-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Loving spicy food is pretty much a birthright for me.

Best spicy sauce eveeeerrrr is the salsa roja from King Taco is Southern California. Seriously one of the best things in the world to eat. I love spicy curry too. But the spicy food that I literally cannot live without would be kimchi. Precious kimchi, I love you so. Also love all the Korean spicy soups and noodles and gochuchang. Love spicy Thai food too. People who don't like spicy food are missing out on LIFE.

For those too far away to try King Taco, there's a thread on chowhound that has since 2006 continuously been trying to replicate the recipe. It looks like a few people have made some decent progress getting somewhat close to the real thing: King Taco: what's in that sauce?!!?! [moved from Los Angeles board] - Home Cooking - Chowhound (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/306080)

I've never attempted to make the recipe at home. I always have a few containers frozen in my freezer for emergency sauce needs.

Psychotic
11-16-2011, 06:16 PM
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGPlpyr_BCM&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL5662954AA66E775D)Yo, Rasmus, you still have to eat a spoonful of Cinammon!

Ultima Shadow
11-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGPlpyr_BCM&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL5662954AA66E775D)Yo, Rasmus, you still have to eat a spoonful of Cinammon!Oh crap! I had completely forgotten about that! I'll... do it next time we meet. Or make a video of it perhaps. Maybe. We shall see.:greenie:

Vincent, Thunder God
11-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGPlpyr_BCM&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL5662954AA66E775D)Yo, Rasmus, you still have to eat a spoonful of Cinammon!Oh crap! I had completely forgotten about that! I'll... do it next time we meet. Or make a video of it perhaps. Maybe. We shall see.:greenie:

:confused:

Ultima Shadow
11-16-2011, 07:25 PM

We made a deal... or something... I think... and I was to eat a spoonful of Cinammon. Actually, I can't even really remember how we came to that conclusion, but I do remember that we did. :greenie:

Vincent, Thunder God
11-16-2011, 07:30 PM

We made a deal... or something... I think... and I was to eat a spoonful of Cinammon. Actually, I can't even really remember how we came to that conclusion, but I do remember that we did. :greenie:

Haha, the fact that you don't remember what the deal was is vaguely disconcerting... xD

NorthernChaosGod
11-16-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm Mexican, most of the authentic cuisine I eat gets topped in salsa. :bigsmile:

I've also had vindaloo curry a couple times at this nice place by my friend's apartment in PB. It wasn't as hot as I thought it was going to be though.

I've also had ginger beer, which is delicious.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-16-2011, 09:22 PM
The best vindaloo curry I've had was this little hole in the wall place on the west coast of Ireland. (I don't know, but it was there.) It had 8 tables, and there was a cook and the one guy running the register/waiting tables. The curry was awesome though.

The best hot wings I had were in Louisiana. They had a hot sauce that was almost too much for me. I miss those wings. It did feel like you were crapping white hot shards of glass the next morning though.

Peegee
11-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority here (hurr) but I believe spicy food should accentuate food, not be the flavour of the food.

For example if I eat food and I just pass out from pain (non-sweet gingers, deliberately spicy vegetables / spices, horseradishes like wasabi) or start screaming into the washroom, I'm not going to like it. If I taste NOTHING but spicy, I am going to wonder if the people who eat this every day can even taste the sublime wonder that is white rice. o__O what?

Shlup
11-16-2011, 10:19 PM
I don't think of myself as the kind of person who loves spicy food, but when I put Siracha on my food in front of people they tend to comment on my lack of sanity.

I'm not one of those people who'll eat a jalapeno straight just to show off, but I suppose it's true that I do tend to go for spicy things.

Jiro
11-17-2011, 12:33 AM
When it comes to spicy food, I am an absolute wimp. In order to fix this, I am slowly adding more and more spicy things to my diet. It's beginning to work.

I still don't understand why you people enjoy having your mouth on fire. If I enjoyed that I would just continue to eat matches like I do already.

fire_of_avalon
11-17-2011, 02:52 AM
Like PG, I don't like things so spicy that I can't taste the food behind it. I like peppers diced into food or sliced on sandwiches, and I like to use cayenne and other hot pepper spices in my food. I eat wasabi paste with sushi, but not huge gobs. Just enough to make it interesting.

I've never had Indian food. :o

That being said, my colleague Ron makes the best freaking habanero sauce in the universe. You put that on barbecue and it's just amazing. I refuse to try his ghost chili sauce, though. He almost killed a bird when he was making it.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-17-2011, 04:31 PM
I've also had ginger beer, which is delicious.

Awesome, it's cool to see that there are other ginger beer fans on here.

Maybe I'm in the minority here (hurr) but I believe spicy food should accentuate food, not be the flavour of the food.

I tend to agree, really spicy stuff destroys the more subtle flavours of the food.

Psychotic
11-17-2011, 05:40 PM
We made a deal... or something... I think... and I was to eat a spoonful of Cinammon. Actually, I can't even really remember how we came to that conclusion, but I do remember that we did. :greenie:A deal? Nay, 'twas a wager. I bet you £20 that you could not eat a spoonful of cinammon without gagging.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-17-2011, 05:44 PM
We made a deal... or something... I think... and I was to eat a spoonful of Cinammon. Actually, I can't even really remember how we came to that conclusion, but I do remember that we did. :greenie:A deal? Nay, 'twas a wager. I bet you £20 that you could not eat a spoonful of cinammon without gagging.

Should be quite a feat if he succeeds. I'm rooting for Ultima to take 20 pounds off your hands. xD

Shiny
11-17-2011, 06:28 PM
I've had an Indian person (like actually from India) cook for me before and I must say their curry is so much hotter than the stuff we get here, but it's still so delicious.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-17-2011, 06:32 PM
I've had an Indian person (like actually from India) cook for me before and I must say their curry is so much hotter than the stuff we get here, but it's still so delicious.

Lucky you, authentic Indian cooking! That must have been tasty.

rubah
11-18-2011, 02:19 AM
I love indian food, but I'm not interested in cooking it because I don't have the time, space, or money to develop the wall of spices that would be necessary.

Iceglow
11-18-2011, 10:27 AM
Spice in foods can be good but I dislike extreme spice in foods so Vindaloo is out for me as are some like Phall curries or Tindaloo.

I don't want to be sitting there singing "It burns, burns, burns, Steve's ring of fire! Steve's ring of fire!" in my head on the toilet thanks.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Spice in foods can be good but I dislike extreme spice in foods so Vindaloo is out for me as are some like Phall curries or Tindaloo.

I don't want to be sitting there singing "It burns, burns, burns, Steve's ring of fire! Steve's ring of fire!" in my head on the toilet thanks.

Steve's ring of fire? D:

Ultima Shadow
11-18-2011, 05:09 PM
We made a deal... or something... I think... and I was to eat a spoonful of Cinammon. Actually, I can't even really remember how we came to that conclusion, but I do remember that we did. :greenie:A deal? Nay, 'twas a wager. I bet you £20 that you could not eat a spoonful of cinammon without gagging.Ah, right! NOW I remember! Then there's no way I'm backing out. Those 20 pounds are as good as mine! :greenie:

Vincent, Thunder God
11-18-2011, 05:18 PM
We made a deal... or something... I think... and I was to eat a spoonful of Cinnamon. Actually, I can't even really remember how we came to that conclusion, but I do remember that we did. :greenie:A deal? Nay, 'twas a wager. I bet you £20 that you could not eat a spoonful of cinnamon without gagging.Ah, right! NOW I remember! Then there's no way I'm backing out. Those 20 pounds are as good as mine! :greenie:

I wish you good luck, be sure to collect Psy's 20 pounds if you win!

Ultima Shadow
11-18-2011, 06:04 PM
We made a deal... or something... I think... and I was to eat a spoonful of Cinnamon. Actually, I can't even really remember how we came to that conclusion, but I do remember that we did. :greenie:A deal? Nay, 'twas a wager. I bet you £20 that you could not eat a spoonful of cinnamon without gagging.Ah, right! NOW I remember! Then there's no way I'm backing out. Those 20 pounds are as good as mine! :greenie:

I wish you good luck, be sure to collect Psy's 20 pounds if you win!Thanks. And hell yeah, I will! =D

Vincent, Thunder God
11-18-2011, 06:05 PM

I wish you good luck, be sure to collect Psy's 20 pounds if you win!Thanks. And hell yeah, I will! =D

Awesomeness! :D

NorthernChaosGod
11-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Video or it didn't happen.

♫♪♫‼Polly‼♪♫♪
11-19-2011, 05:36 PM
my exboyfriend took me to san antonio to see the alamo and we ended up going to chunky's burgers and dared each other to try the four horsemen. i ate more than half of it but he couldn't get past two bites :)

Jessweeee♪
11-19-2011, 11:40 PM
I will never eat the Four Horsemen. My brother tried it once and managed to eat half before he made the mistake of taking a sip of his soda. Then he just couldn't stop drinking liquids. Then he tried it AGAIN with our cousin, and they both cried on the way home. Teenage boys. Crying. They sounded like they were going to die.

Rye
11-21-2011, 02:07 AM
I had some lamb vindaloo curry today in Queens! Hungngnghghg so delicious, perfect spice levels.