PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of a word between abacinate and zyzzyva

Vincent, Thunder God
11-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Bear me with me guys, this is the first time I try this so might not be an expert at it yet.

In this thread you will try to guess the word I am thinking of and I will respond higher or lower to clue you in on whether you're guess comes before (lower) or after (higher) the answer alphabetically.

But you wont just be posting one word guesses, oh no, you have to work for your points. With every guess you have to post a definition along with it. I will accept entries from dictionary.com or just by typing "define [word]" into google

Hopefully we can use this game as a way to increase our vocabularies.

I'll probably only respond to the guesses which will most limit the range of guessing.

(eg if the answer is cat and people guess; ant, bunny, dog and elephant, then i will say higher than bunny and lower than dog.)

1 guess per post

I will not use any words begining with captial letters (Names, places and the such) and all words will be atleast 3 letters long.

BEGIN

I will update this post with scores as soon as soon as someone gets a point. Good luck!

blackmage_nuke
11-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Are you going to continue with the alphabet in the previous game or just pick random words?

Either way I guess toast
Noun:
Sliced bread browned on both sides by exposure to radiant heat.
Verb:
1. Cook or brown (food, esp. bread or cheese) by exposure to a grill, fire, or other source of radiant heat.
2. (of a DJ) Accompany a reggae backing track or music with improvised rhythmic speech.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Are you going to continue with the alphabet in the previous game or just pick random words?

Either way I guess toast
Noun:
Sliced bread browned on both sides by exposure to radiant heat.
Verb:
1. Cook or brown (food, esp. bread or cheese) by exposure to a grill, fire, or other source of radiant heat.
2. (of a DJ) Accompany a reggae backing track or music with improvised rhythmic speech.

Random words. BTW when someone gets the wrong letter, do you have to give the right letter right away or just something closer (i.e. halfway between, from T to N)? Or do you go one letter at a time, like T to S?

I assume you don't go to the right letter right away, so I'm going to switch to N.

Toast to N - Nacreous - Adjective: of or resembling mother-of-pearl

chionos
11-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Did you just guess a word in your own word guessing game?
If you're doing it like bm_n then you just say higher or lower.
Are you giving a hint that it's between Toast and Nacreous?

If so, my guess is:
Sanguineous
adjective
1. Of, pertaining to, or containing blood.
2. of the color of blood.
3. involving much bloodshed.
4. sanguine; confident.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Did you just guess a word in your own word guessing game?
If you're doing it like bm_n then you just say higher or lower.
Are you giving a hint that it's between Toast and Nacreous?

If so, my guess is:
Sanguineous
adjective
1. Of, pertaining to, or containing blood.
2. of the color of blood.
3. involving much bloodshed.
4. sanguine; confident.

Yes, yes I did. :P

And what I meant was that the word is between nacreous and A, sorry if that was confusing. Maybe I should have gone with an "A" word.

Sanguineous to A - Abidicate - Verb: 1. (of a monarch) Renounce one's throne: "in 1918 Kaiser Wilhelm abdicated as German emperor".

2. Fail to fulfill or undertake (a responsibility or duty): "the government was accused of abdicating its responsibility".

chionos
11-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Just say lower or higher lol. This is going to be confusing to some people, I suspect.

obstreperous
adjective
1. resisting control or restraint in a difficult manner; unruly.
2. noisy, clamorous, or boisterous: obstreperous children.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Just say lower or higher lol. This is going to be confusing to some people, I suspect.

obstreperous
adjective
1. resisting control or restraint in a difficult manner; unruly.
2. noisy, clamorous, or boisterous: obstreperous children.

I just used a quote from Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came in one of my stories, and it contained that word.

Higher.

chionos
11-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Pontificating
verb
To express one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Pontificating
verb
To express one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic.

I meant higher as in an earlier letter in the alphabet.

Higher again.

chionos
11-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Necrogeriatricarboraphile
Noun
A person who favors sexual relations with old dead trees.

seriously though

Nyctitropism
noun
The tendency of the leaves of some plants to change position at night.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-18-2011, 12:01 AM
Higher.

chionos
11-18-2011, 12:11 AM
Just to clarify, right now we should be between Nacreous and Nyctitropism, yes?

Nonvolatilisable
Adjective
Not volatilizing readily.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Sorry no, I meant a much higher letter than N in the alphabet. If you want I can tell you what letter it starts with, or something close. Try somewhere between D and G.

chionos
11-18-2011, 06:49 AM
lol
ok

Eviscerate
verb
to disembowel a person or animal or to take away the essential content of a thing

Vincent, Thunder God
11-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Eviscerate to F.

chionos
11-18-2011, 05:59 PM
The first time you said "guess to x" it was "Toast to N - Nacreous" which implied, to me at least, that the word was between toast and nacreous. But several guesses later, the word was actually earlier than nacreous, so not between the two at all. And soooo, I have no idea how you're using "guess to x"

Hmm, after some rereading...

I guess, say a T word, then you narrow it down for me by picking a letter closer to A (in our case initially you narrowed from T to N so that we were A-T, then narrowed to A-N)...or is it a letter, or word, closer to the target, you've used it both ways which is what is confusing.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-18-2011, 06:04 PM
The first time you said "guess to x" it was "Toast to N - Nacreous" which implied, to me at least, that the word was between toast and nacreous. But several guesses later, the word was actually earlier than nacreous, so not between the two at all. And soooo, I have no idea how you're using "guess to x"

Hmm, after some rereading...

I guess, say a T word, then you narrow it down for me by picking a letter closer to A (in our case initially you narrowed from T to N so that we were A-T, then narrowed to A-N)...or is it a letter, or word, closer to the target, you've used it both ways which is what is confusing.

Yeah sorry to have confused you, I'm still trying to figure out how this whole thing works. But to simplify matters, the word is between A and F. When I said "Saguineous to A" I meant between S and A, when I said Eviscerate to F I meant between A and F.

Hopefully it isn't confusing anymore?

chionos
11-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Yeah sorry to have confused you, I'm still trying to figure out how this whole thing works. But to simplify matters, the word is between A and F. When I said "Saguineous to A" I meant between S and A, when I said Eviscerate to F I meant between A and F.

Nope, still got problems, lol.

To proceed from guess "Eviscerate" to hint A to F does not narrow down the search. Having A as one of the borders for hints will only help you narrow things down so far. When someone is "lower" or later in the alphabet, it helps get them closer, but once they've gotten "higher" or earlier in the alphabet, it is no longer helpful. If you don't want to do "higher" and "lower", may I suggest that after each guess or series of guesses you pick a letter or word on the other side of the root word? Or, alternatively, after each guess or series of guesses, simply pick a word that's closer to the root word than any of the guesses.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-18-2011, 06:51 PM

To proceed from guess "Eviscerate" to hint A to F does not narrow down the search. Having A as one of the borders for hints will only help you narrow things down so far. When someone is "lower" or later in the alphabet, it helps get them closer, but once they've gotten "higher" or earlier in the alphabet, it is no longer helpful. If you don't want to do "higher" and "lower", may I suggest that after each guess or series of guesses you pick a letter or word on the other side of the root word? Or, alternatively, after each guess or series of guesses, simply pick a word that's closer to the root word than any of the guesses.

OK, here's a word that's pretty close to the actual word:

Eviscerate to ferriferous, containing iron.

chionos
11-18-2011, 08:45 PM

Don't tell me it's pretty close, just tell me it's closer! Let me do the work lol.

foddershock
noun
A heap of animal feed (e.g. corn or hay) in a field organized in some fashion and usually used as a decoration during the autumn.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-18-2011, 11:49 PM

Don't tell me it's pretty close, just tell me it's closer! Let me do the work lol.

foddershock
noun
A heap of animal feed (e.g. corn or hay) in a field organized in some fashion and usually used as a decoration during the autumn.

OK Captain McWordsmith.

Fodderschock to facundity - eloquence.

chionos
11-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Farinaceous
adj.
Having a stalk like a reed.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Farinaceous to Fez - a felt hat either in the shape of a red truncated cone or in the shape of a short cylinder

chionos
11-20-2011, 12:34 AM
>_<

Fetter
A restraint

Vincent, Thunder God
11-20-2011, 12:43 AM
Lower (i.e. between Fetter and Fez)

chionos
11-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Fey
adj.
1 Supernatural or unreal.
2 Whimsical; strange.
3 Being in unusually high spirits and temperament.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Dude you totally got it! That's exactly what I was thinking of. I first encountered it in the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R Donaldson, not used often but sometimes used as a synonym for cowardly.

If you want you can choose the next word, or if not I can choose another one.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-23-2011, 03:27 PM
I'd be happy to play this game again if

A) It's more than just me playing this time.

B) I can finally figure out how you're working the rules.

I still don't quite follow your hints. Look at BM_N's old thread to get an idea of the method he was using to tell someone how close they were. It seemed to work well.