PDA

View Full Version : To see a marching band...

Pike
11-19-2011, 06:28 AM
Have you ever played any instruments?

I learned to play the cello when I was in middle school. I quit about halfway through high school, though, largely because of scheduling conflicts.

People tell me I've got a good sense of rhythm and a good musical ear; too bad I never put any of this to good use, though. Well, outside of messing around in FruityLoops, I guess.

Guys I have full faith in our abilities to quote this entire song in thread topics

Iceglow
11-19-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't play instruments, I mess around with the odd guitar but I've never taken formal lessons or bothered trying to self teach to learn to play properly. The girl I'm dating at the moment, Caity she plays around 30 instruments, chief among them is the French Horn.

NorthernChaosGod
11-19-2011, 11:52 AM
I play guitar, bass, drums, and a little bit of piano. :monster:

The girl I'm dating at the moment, Caity she plays around 30 instruments, chief among them is the French Horn.
Is she Asian? Wtf does that. o_O

Freya
11-19-2011, 03:08 PM
I played the tenor sax for a couple years. Then I was too cool for band so I quit. o_O

Araciel
11-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Guitar... for years.. internet-taught - The idea was to learn songs I could play at bonfires and it worked out splendiforously.

Learning piano now.

fire_of_avalon
11-19-2011, 04:40 PM
*sits next to JuliRiv and Jamesy*

Meltdown
11-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Violin, which I randomly took up at 16! Tuition then self-taught (my teacher moved away... probably due to her ears being subjected to agonising torture) :(

♫♪♫‼Polly‼♪♫♪
11-19-2011, 05:04 PM
i play piano and flute. i wanted to learn guitar but it was awkward for me. i wanted to play violin too but i couldn't stand the sounds it was making in my hands.

Pheesh
11-19-2011, 05:27 PM
:cool: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9msKGsECdIE)

Madame Adequate
11-19-2011, 05:38 PM
My granny Sadie tells me that when I was very little, she and Granda Jack and I were at some pub having lunch, and I started drumming on the tables using the forks or something. And people gave me money because I was so good :jess:

Also I had to play the Recorder in primary school because, you know, I went to school. In England. That's what you do. I've derped around with FruityLoops some (and before that Music on the PS1) and I've been told I have a vague talent, I could probably develop that into something but,

eeeehhhh, effort.

Pike
11-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Also I had to play the Recorder in primary school because, you know, I went to school. In England. That's what you do.

We do that here too! Recorder is fun :jess:

NorthernChaosGod
11-19-2011, 09:14 PM
*sits next to JuliRiv and Jamesy*
Hey, foa. How yooou doin'?

Iceglow
11-19-2011, 10:10 PM

The girl I'm dating at the moment, Caity she plays around 30 instruments, chief among them is the French Horn.

She's Australian so no she's not Asian. Though she did play for one of the top orchestra's in Australia so I guess that might have something to do with the decision to learn so many instruments.

Shlup
11-20-2011, 12:57 AM
There has never been an instance in the history of the world of a woman playing cello and not being extremely hot. I don't know what it is about a woman with a cello, but every guy I know is into it, and every woman I know envies it.

My husband is a drummer and was in the marching band in high school. The only instrument I ever learned was recorder in college.

Pheesh
11-20-2011, 01:09 AM
There has never been an instance in the history of the world of a woman playing cello and not being extremely hot. I don't know what it is about a woman with a cello, but every guy I know is into it, and every woman I know envies it.

Amen. But any girl playing any instrument (except piano and maybe like a tuba or something) becomes instantly hotter in my eyes.

NorthernChaosGod
11-20-2011, 05:28 AM

She's Australian so no she's not Asian. Though she did play for one of the top orchestra's in Australia so I guess that might have something to do with the decision to learn so many instruments.
Makes a bit more sense. What did she play in the orchestra?

I think it's because she knows how to handle a big piece of wood in between her legs.

DMKA
11-20-2011, 06:01 AM
I played tenor sax and the recorder in middle school.

Band geeks ftw.

Pheesh
11-20-2011, 06:51 AM

She was the orchestra xD

Shlup
11-20-2011, 07:24 AM
I think it's because she knows how to handle a big piece of wood in between her legs.

http://i.imgur.com/7hQCS.gif

Pike
11-20-2011, 03:37 PM
http://img.ponibooru.org/images/b0/b003d4edac7ccd2c21bf7d0d8e1ef713

Cello players for great justice (although Octavia's looks more like a bass to me)

Araciel
11-20-2011, 03:57 PM
If that weren't a musical instrument and instead were a wealthy businessman, this picture would belong on a different website... :kakapo:

Slothy
11-20-2011, 04:08 PM
drums, and a little bit of piano.

This. Not that the former should be surprising for anyone with taste. :D

NorthernChaosGod
11-20-2011, 07:38 PM
http://img.ponibooru.org/images/b0/b003d4edac7ccd2c21bf7d0d8e1ef713

Cello players for great justice (although Octavia's looks more like a bass to me)
After my comment, this just looks dirtier and dirtier the more I look at it. :|

Hambone
11-20-2011, 09:37 PM
I've played cello for almost seven years now, and yeah, it's pretty much the coolest thing ever, but I don't see why it's seen as so sexy, especially if you look at several cellists' facial expressions while they're playing. I swear my teacher makes the me gusta face sometimes.

If I get into music school next year, I get to learn piano, which I'm so looking forward to. I love the piano.

Iceglow
11-20-2011, 10:27 PM

AFAIK she was a french horn player in the orchestra so brass section.

Agreed!

Old Manus
11-20-2011, 10:37 PM
I play guitar, mainly classical but I still play fair amount of lengthy solos on the ol' Strat. I did have four guitars but now I have 3 because I gave it away to one less fortunate in a selfless act of unwarranted philanthropy (yeah only joking, it was a piece of shit hunk of timber full of christmas tree needles fit only to burn for fuel). I also bought a pretty expensive ukulele just so I could play Ukulele De Chocobo and look whacky. Yeah, you read that right.

Jiro
11-21-2011, 10:18 AM
I am probably musically retarded now. Used to play piano, guitar, drums and euphonium (all but the latter at a beginner level). And the recorder, because we're still a British colony apparently. Now I play nothing except tables. Not getting any money out of it though MILF. How'd you do it?

Agent Proto
11-21-2011, 10:32 AM
In the 4th grade, or was it 5th grade? I don't remember exactly, but it was before High School, I had music class and I was taught how to play the cello. I didn't continue because carrying the instrument in the case was a hassle for me. During High School, I took Music during my Freshmen, Sophomore, and Junior years. At first I dabbled with trumpet, then I played the trombone for a couple months. The fact that it was a big instrument, I was able to switch instruments during one of the semesters. I switched to the clarinet, and stuck with it for the rest of my music playing days, which ended after my Junior year of High School.

Laddy
11-22-2011, 09:21 PM
I play bass, guitar, and piano at an intermediate level.

Though everyone knows my real passion is my excellent singing capabilities. Watch me belt it!

NorthernChaosGod
11-23-2011, 03:42 AM
I want to see you all play something.

Laddy
11-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Let's make an EoFF band! :O

NorthernChaosGod
11-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Dibs on lead guitar.

Pheesh
11-24-2011, 02:24 PM
So you'd have two people playing...tables? Have I got that right?

NorthernChaosGod
11-24-2011, 08:41 PM
wat. :|

Jiro
11-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Maybe more. I like playing tables. I reckon I could dual instrument with tables and spoons.

eestlinc
12-01-2011, 03:19 AM
yep yep. done all that. have a degree in euphonium. useful stuff, there.

also, speaking of <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4smgVpcFMp8>cellos and marching bands</a>

Kossage
12-02-2011, 12:49 AM
I've taken the basic classical courses on playing the piano, but since high school I've been concentrating more on singing (both solo and choir). :)