PDA

View Full Version : recommend me a good RPG please!

reinward
11-20-2011, 07:00 PM
ok so im really feeling the urge to paly a good RPG right about now.... i want something with the i dont know how to say it really... charm of FFIX. i loved FFIX so much it is my all time favorite game

i also really like FFX... though when i replayed it didnt seem as good as i remembered it to be..

i was kind of meh with FFVII and FFXII (though FFXII has potential)

didnt like FFVIII

hated FFXIII

and id prefer either ps1 or ps2 games

liked chrono trigger

meh on chrono cross

so reccomend me an RPG you think someone who loved FFIX would like :)

VeloZer0
11-20-2011, 08:39 PM
FF9 was kind of meant to be a throwback to the charm of the SNES eara FF games. So the best I can recommend for you are FF4, 5 & 6. If going back to 2D is an issue then I would suggest FF4 on the DS, it is a full 3D remake.

Even if you don't have a DS the old school SNES games are easily emulatable on just about any computer.

The Last Ancient
11-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Suikoden 1 and 2 are classics, 3 is pretty good. Xenogears is a flawed masterpiece. Breath of Fire IV (the best of the series imo), Dragon Warrior 7, Koudelka (ps1) and the first Shadow Hearts game (ps2) and the sequels are ok, Valkyrie Profile, The Xenosaga series, Star Ocean: Til the end of time has it's moments, you can't go wrong with any of these games imo.

Pike
11-21-2011, 05:32 AM
Super Mario RPG. The original.

TrollHunter
11-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Cthulu saves the world perhaps?
There's also goldensun, easily one of my favorite rpgs of all time~

Zevinity
11-21-2011, 08:45 AM
A few games come to mind:

For the PS1: Tales of Destiny, Breath of Fire 3, Breath of Fire 4, Xenogears, and Legend of Legaia

For PS2: Shadow Hearts, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss, and Shadow of the Colossus

Also, there's Lost Odyssey, which is a somewhat modern RPG for the Xbox 360 that's pretty good if you're ever interested in a good RPG for the 360.

Mirage
11-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Skyrim

Old Manus
11-21-2011, 09:53 AM
You just flagged this website on the CIA Terrorism watchlist. I hope you're happy.

Bolivar
11-21-2011, 03:05 PM
I would second Xenogears for a good PS1 RPG, at least to check it out.

The Dragon Quest (or Dragon Warrior) games also all have that old school RPG charm of FFIX. DQVIII is probably the easiest place to start as the battles can seem antiquated compared to FF's characteristically flashy battles.

Chris
11-21-2011, 11:02 PM
PS1: Even though the game annoys the hell out of me, I would still recommend Koudelka. Be warned, though. The battles are excruciatingly slow.

Laddy
11-23-2011, 02:48 AM
Baldur's Gate II for PC. I will never stop. Ever.

Elskidor
11-23-2011, 06:14 PM
You like FF9 so your going to need to go to the pre-Playstion to get anything near to that type of feel in Final Fantasy games. And you like Chrono Trigger too so that's gonna lead you pre-Playstation too. Think you need to expand to SNES for some great RPGS like FFIV/FFVI, Super Mario RPG, Breath of Fire II, Earth Bound, FFLegend, Luffia series and a lot of goodies.

Rostum
11-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Try out the Secret of Mana series.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-23-2011, 11:32 PM
PS1 Xenogears is a classic. Another nod for Suikoden 1 and 2. Legend of Mana is one I liked.

PS2 Suikoden 3. (Not Suikoden 4) Dragon Quest VIII was fairly enjoyable.

If you have a GameCube/Dreamcast, I really enjoyed Skies of Arcadia.

Nice
11-27-2011, 01:35 AM
PS1 ~ Grandia 1, Final Fantasy VII, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Lunar the Silver Star Harmony (you can also find this game for the PSP as well), Lunar Eternal Blue.

PS2 ~ Disgea 1 and 2, Shin Megami Tensai Persona 3 and 4, Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

There are tons more, but I'm sure some of these nice people will address those games that I haven't.

Wolf Kanno
11-27-2011, 04:52 AM
If you're looking for charm in a RPG, I would say Breath of Fire is a good bet. Pretty much the whole series except BoF1 is a bit too simple and BoFV is definetly trying to be "darker and edgier" so maybe skip those and just focus on BoFII-IV. Grandia 1 is a good choice as well as Skies of Arcadia if you have a Dreamcast/Gamecube/Wii. Dragon Quest is also really good, and definetly the Mana franchise. Wild ARMS is also a good choice, but stick with the first two.

black orb
11-27-2011, 06:54 AM
i want something with the i dont know how to say it really... charm of FFIX.
>>> Threads of Fate..:luca: