PDA

View Full Version : Eyeson Visits Square Enix

Shlup
11-23-2011, 04:42 AM
My complete lack of self-control lead me to hint about this a couple of times, but last month Eyes on Final Fantasy was invited to head over to Square Enix's US office to preview Final Fantasy XIII-2. Other than the occasional comment intended to titillate, we were banned from speaking of the event... until now!

We decided that the two sexiest staff members should go, so, despite Psychotics insistence that it was Opposite Day, Del Murder and I went. They put us up in a swanky city-folk hotel, and, to keep this part of the story short, we jumped on the bed, ate candy, and made rainbows. Not sexually. Necronopticous and Marshall Banana actually work right by the Square Enix building, so they picked us up for tacos and strawberry-tasting milkstuffs. I enjoyed an octopus tostada.

The next day, after having more candy for breakfast, we brought our asses and our coffee house beverages down the the lobby, where the rest of our Final Fantasy nerd group was far too easy to spot. I think there were representatives for... six other sites there. Some of them had stayed up way too late because they had never seen an ocean before; it was cute.

After collecting our non-disclosure agreements, our lovely SE Reps, Liz and Lola, led us upstairs, to a room filled with XBox 360s and PlayStation 3s. And food. Which we ate.

Bellies full, we scurried to our stations and adorned our headphones. We played Final Fantasy XIII-2 for three hours that day. I've never heard so much quiet in a room before. We were all so in our own worlds, yet so together--it was quite the touching geek moment, I think.

Okay, I wasn't completely in my own world. I kept glancing at Del's screen, trying to figure out how he kept being so damn far ahead of me, and he kept looking at mine in order to mock me. And then there was that moment where we both discovered the jump button. Our eyes met. It was magic. And then I think he texted Miriel, the tease.

They gave us each a spiral notebook for, uh, notes. Someone (I'm guessing Lola) wrote a note in the front of each one saying not to share anything in it until the 23rd, so Del will have to break open The Book of Secrets for you tomorrow.

http://www.eyesonff.com/shlup/bookofsecrets.jpg

After what I'm convinced was about forty-five minutes (I am unapologetically a fan of this game so far), we were told to shut it down and get ready to meet producer Yoshinori Kitase and art director Isamu Kamikokuryo. Which was awesome. I wish I would've gotten a seat in the front row instead of getting popcorn, but there were only two rows so I can't complain.

As I sat there, trying to, like, suck on my popcorn because chewing it felt too loud, Kitase-san's eyes met mine. Probably because I was staring at him on account of someone's head was blocking my view of the translator and Kamikokuryo-san mostly stared at the floor. You could tell he felt weird with us all pointing our cameras at him even while he was doing nothing because, well, no one really wants video of the translator. Or maybe I just felt awkward on his behalf.

http://www.eyesonff.com/shlup/myhomies.jpg

I'll tell you the rest of that part on Saturday. With video!

After the party, a few people left, and Lola treated a few of us to Inn & Out, which I think the out-of-towners especially enjoyed. We cut out a little early so I could drive Del to the airport, but that was probably for the best.

Kitase-san also gave me a moogle charm! Just me. No one else. Especially not Del. And he didn't just hand it to me because an SE Rep handed it to him to hand it to me. Nono, he totally pulled it from his pocket and was like "I want you to have this, Shlup-chan." That's how it happened. Shut up.

Also recently, SE sent us swag in the mail, which I posted in another thread: a Mog shirt and the above photo in a frame. Which I thought was exceptionally thoughtful.

http://www.eyesonff.com/shlup/swag.jpg

So starting tomorrow we're going to be regaling you with a ton of facts about the game, and I think Del is going to post his review of it. I will post my review also soon, and then I plan on posting a summary of the Q&A session on Saturday.

Also tomorrow, in this very thread, we're going to play Where's Del??, by which I mean I'm going to post the group photo from the event, and you have to guess which one is Del. Unless he chickens out, which he might. I have a whole bushel of cute pictures of him and a cute video of him and he won't even let me post them because he's not wearing his fedora.

Brennan
11-23-2011, 04:54 AM
You, ma'am, have lived the wet dreams of nerds!
Congratulations!
And secreeeets! Ooooooh! :3

NorthernChaosGod
11-23-2011, 05:06 AM
I demand to see Del.

Agent Proto
11-23-2011, 05:11 AM
How awesome this must be! I, too, want to see a picture of Del, somewhere in one of the pictures to be posted.

Pike
11-23-2011, 05:15 AM
This is all supercool. I had no idea Square Enix did that kind of stuff, so I'm rather impressed with them!

Hollycat
11-23-2011, 05:21 AM
I was invited to preview a game too. once. 2 years ago. but not by square enix. they confiscated my camera.
stupid zenimax. Next time let me be your plus 1! plz!

Rostum
11-23-2011, 05:33 AM
Nice work guys, congratulations. :)

I also demand photos of Del!

Shlup
11-23-2011, 05:41 AM
This is all supercool. I had no idea Square Enix did that kind of stuff, so I'm rather impressed with them!
I got the impression that this was the first time they've held such an event.

I was invited to preview a game too. once. 2 years ago. but not by square enix. they confiscated my camera.
stupid zenimax. Next time let me be your plus 1! plz!
Zenimax, eh? What game?

We sent a rep to EA a couple of years ago for a Lord of the Rings game. They even gave us five copies for a site giveaway! *stares at Square Enix*

Hollycat
11-23-2011, 05:44 AM
new vegas. I didnt get a free copy. i did however get a dr pepper

Laddy
11-23-2011, 05:55 AM
You guys are Final Fantasy gods. And EoFF legends. And I mean both terms sexually.

chionos
11-23-2011, 06:05 AM
Awesome possum Shlup.
I guess thanks are in order for not letting Del enforce anything and embarrass eoff in the process.
Very much looking forward to tomorrow(today)'s reveal.

Del Murder
11-23-2011, 06:21 AM
It was really fun, and SE people were super nice to us. I can't wait until we can spill all the beans tomorrow!

Navi
11-23-2011, 06:32 AM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljg1lfJTG11qfa84uo1_500.gif

Shlup
11-23-2011, 06:35 AM
I don't know what that means, Navi, but thank you. I'm pretty sure I'm touched.

Diango12
11-23-2011, 06:50 AM
So awesome! Bring on the details. You had to figure out the jump command!? :o

Del Murder
11-23-2011, 06:58 AM
Yams you crazy lurker.

Freya
11-23-2011, 07:55 AM
OMG. I don't know why this makes me so excited. :3 I'm insanely jealous but also really excited to hear about this game. I wasn't the biggest fan of XIII but XIII-2 is looking up and I keep having people ask about it at work. And now if I have inside info I can push it on people! Meaning my pre-order quota will go up meaning they better give me that damn promotion already! Okay, maybe that's why i'm excited. Still, new final fantasys just bring out the fangirl in me no matter if they are my cup of tea or not.

ALSO! We may get to see del! :D

Shlup
11-23-2011, 08:10 AM
So awesome! Bring on the details. You had to figure out the jump command!? :o
No 'cause it's the same in every FF game.

OH WAIT IT'S NOT 'CAUSE YOU COULD NEVER JUMP BEFORE. I'M JUMPING RIGHT NOW.

(I'm actually in bed in my jammies but I can't sleep 'cause I have a cough. Poor me.)

Diango12
11-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Yes poor you. You were invited to Square Enix where you played XIII-2, met the big wigs, ate candy, muffins, cookies and potatoes. Enjoyed the entire day entertained by the likes of Yoshinori Kitase, AND to top it all off you receive one kick ass looking key chain that I would probably steal from you if we were friends. You enjoyed all that for an entire day with Del and you want me to feel sorry for you!? Please kindly commit a vicious act of violence on yourself.

Laddy
11-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Can we keep him?

Shlup
11-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Why did you have to go and remind me that there were no muffins? :(

Necronopticous
11-23-2011, 08:40 AM
http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/9184471644/1/tumblr_lq93t59bXH1r032vv

Old Manus
11-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Did Del go as his alter ego Super Delete to preserve his identity?

Jiro
11-23-2011, 11:14 AM
I am super pissed I couldn't go to this event :(

Rye
11-23-2011, 01:14 PM
I wish I could have gone

(for the tacos)

;_________________;

Dignified Pauper
11-23-2011, 01:19 PM
iJellies.

rubah
11-23-2011, 03:45 PM
You guys went to Square-Enix El Antojito without me? :cry:

But that is amazing! super cool

Hollycat
11-23-2011, 04:02 PM
if we ever get invited to a preveiw for a kh game, plzzzzzzzz invite me! plz plz plz plz plz. .... Ill be your best friend

Jessweeee♪
11-23-2011, 04:04 PM
It's so exciting :bounce: :excited:

Peegee
11-23-2011, 04:27 PM
FF 13-2 will be available on the PS3, correct? I am eagerly awaiting your review of the game, as it hinges on whether I will buy it.

:colbert: no pressure now

Seriously, this is so cool!

Del Murder
11-23-2011, 06:39 PM
The Final Fantasy XIII-2 info is up! My review to come later today!

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xiii-2/139845-eyeson-visits-square-enix-plays-final-fantasy-xiii-2-a.html

Del Murder
11-24-2011, 03:36 AM
Here's my review of the game (based on only the first three hours so take it for what you will):

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xiii-2/139850-my-thoughts-first-3-hours-ffxiii-2-a.html

Jiro
11-24-2011, 02:02 PM
:drool:

Madonna
11-24-2011, 05:33 PM
That is pretty awesome, and I am both proud and jealous. Eyes on Final Fantasy, represent.

Time to make snide comments: I am surprised Shlup(-chan) was able to keep her mouth shut all this time; the pride I feel for you is overwhelming, ShlupQuack.

Good work on the write-ups, Del Murder, but why is there not an update on the front site about this? Huh, huh? You had a month to coordinate with the site staff about this.

Psychotic
11-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Good work you two.

I say "work", I don't refer to being wined, dined and video gamed by Square-Enix you lucky son of a bitches who I hate forever, I refer to the high quality writing which you have done afterwards. :)

Loony BoB
11-24-2011, 06:51 PM
SE Europe: Still yet to contact me after what seems like a year after supposedly obtaining my contact info. Psh.

Marshall Banana
11-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Good work on the write-ups, Del Murder, but why is there not an update on the front site about this? Huh, huh? You had a month to coordinate with the site staff about this.
Just you wait. :excited:

Madonna
11-24-2011, 07:22 PM
You allow me to retain faith in the world, Marshall Banana.

Jiro
11-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Faith in the world is misguided. Faith in MB is not.

Madonna
11-25-2011, 02:47 AM
She is my world, Jiro.

DMKA
11-25-2011, 04:19 AM
This is so awesome, and I am so jealous.

I need to move back to California and become and admin.

Shlup
11-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Time to make snide comments: I am surprised Shlup(-chan) was able to keep her mouth shut all this time; the pride I feel for you is overwhelming, ShlupQuack.
Thanks, bebe. It was a lot of effort.

Just you wait. :excited:
:excited: :excited: :excited:

Also, Happy Thanksgiving and I do believe I owe you guys a photo.

http://www.eyesonff.com/shlup/alltogethernow.JPG

You don't actually have to guess who Del is. The five people in the back and the five people directly in front of them are the fansite reps. The two ladies front and center are Liz and Lola, and the rest are other SE employees.

Peegee
11-25-2011, 03:27 PM
I didn't have to guess because I've met Del already.

U jelly?

ps - Gelatin spewing from my pants. So jelly.

Psychotic
11-25-2011, 04:39 PM
I assume Del Murder is standing next to you and of those two, one looks asian and the other looks mediterranean. Being a proud Italian, Del Murder is the one on your left and our right. Of note is that Del Murder is apparently shorter than you, and is therefore a midget, and is therefore the new Levian. This explains why he has hidden himself away all these years. The short jokes will commence now and will last until approximately forever. :)

Shlup
11-25-2011, 06:55 PM
I thought that you, of all people, would know his face when you saw it.

Peegee
11-25-2011, 08:45 PM
sarcasm and subtle trolling is lost on people.

I would make some half assed excuse to shoop a pikachu in the picture or circle which on is shlupquack and accuse that of being del, but I'm too lazy.

Instead I will just throw a tantrum. should've flown in Jiro or whoever would've cost the most money.

Shlup
11-25-2011, 09:07 PM
You say it's sarcasm, but I think he just picked who he was most attracted to and went for it.

Psychotic
11-25-2011, 09:16 PM
I thought that you, of all people, would know his face when you saw it.Me, of all people? Dude, Del is not my nemesis. Loony BoB is my nemesis. Loony BoB, corporate tool. Also, fine, he's the neckbeard. Happy? Jeez. :roll2

Shlup
11-25-2011, 09:20 PM
I know who your nemesis is. I also know who your heart belongs to, even if you don't know his face.

Psychotic
11-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Is he that frumpy looking blonde chick in red in the middle row? The one that looks like they have personal hygiene issues?

Shlup
11-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Yes. I am Del Murder.

Now someone get Miriel over here for cuddles.

Psychotic
11-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Oh that's you? My mistake, I am not very good at this! I was looking for middle-aged people. :shobon:

Shlup
11-25-2011, 10:00 PM
I'M NOT THE OLDEST IT'S NOT ME DEL IS THE OLDEST NOT MEEEEEE

Loony BoB
11-25-2011, 10:03 PM
"other SE employees" - seperated by SE region, or racial segregation? YOU DECIDE.

NorthernChaosGod
11-26-2011, 12:17 AM

You're cute when you're upset.

Peegee
11-26-2011, 12:48 AM
"other SE employees" - seperated by SE region, or racial segregation? YOU DECIDE.

race....oh roogle.

carry on then

Del Murder
11-26-2011, 02:22 AM
I think Amanda missed the point of the game.

Shlup
11-26-2011, 03:42 AM
I most certainly did not. It's the same as the point of every game: to amuse me.

Navi
11-26-2011, 06:48 AM
I think Amanda missed the point of the game.

http://kontraband.se/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/mihouse.gif

Araciel
11-26-2011, 04:04 PM
NOBODY LIKES MILHOUS

Hollycat
11-26-2011, 09:29 PM

It's ok, my huggles will make the bad guys go away

black orb
11-26-2011, 11:02 PM
>>> That moogle shirt is hot..:luca:

Rianoa
11-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Man, I wish I lived in America right now XD

Del Murder
11-28-2011, 10:53 PM
We actually have been posting our articles to the new CMS-enabled version of the front site. Unfortunately, that did not go live with the release of this information as we had previously hoped (the delay is not on our end). I just plain forgot to post something to the Eyes on News site. I will do so when I can.

>>> That moogle shirt is hot..:luca:
Not when you're a boy and got the same exact shirt...

Shlup
11-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Pics of you in the shirt, please.

Levian
11-30-2011, 06:03 AM
Not knowing if Del is the neckbeard or the non-asian guy next to shlup is probably worse than not having seen a picture of Del at all. :|

The mystery lives on.

eestlinc
12-01-2011, 03:09 AM
wow, I quit way too soon! All I ever got for being on staff was an infection.

I would say that Del's the one wearing glasses, but that isn't much help.

also, hi yams!

Del Murder
12-01-2011, 03:23 AM
Good to see all my old e-friends come out of the lurk. Now all we need is Romeo.

Calliope
12-01-2011, 06:51 PM
I'll bug him tonight, unbeknownst to him he's taking me to a play :D

Hi eest! I should show you my Carrie photos.

Spuuky
12-02-2011, 01:40 AM
I guess this site still exists? It seems kind of slow to load pages these days, though. Also, I hate everything.

Hollycat
12-02-2011, 02:31 AM
I guess this site still exists? It seems kind of slow to load pages these days, though. Also, I hate everything.

Someone needs a HUGGLE!!

Del Murder
12-02-2011, 04:29 AM
I think that's exactly what he needs.

Peegee
12-02-2011, 01:57 PM
wooohooo

Renmiri
12-02-2011, 05:59 PM
So which one is Dell after all ?

Congratulations to Eyes and Schlup and Dell for the honor. :D

Did they mention if they will ever invite former staff girls who love ffx and hate ffx12 ? As if! :(

(I said GIRLS Tavrobel, don't get excited!) ;)

eestlinc
12-06-2011, 04:12 AM
wow, huggles for spuuky. perfect. reminds me of the all-male-group-hugs of the old days, Skanker, the Sick Irony joke. next Del Snizz will come post a random thread in hopes of proving to himself he can still pull of his schtick.

Kai Seraph
01-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Heyy everyone, was replaying ffix and checking up some faqs when i felt the urge to revisit eyesonff. And i'm glad to have done that because I caught wind of this update!

Seems kinda weird that somehow eestlinc was reminiscing and i pop by to post (even though i am really slow at that..), and i remember almost everything that was mentioned from the past, especially Del Snizz!

Anyway... I really wanted to congratulate the EoFF staff (do you guys still go by that alias anymore?) past and present (and future as well i guess!) for really sticking with the site through thick and thin. I know this post counts for little (and might not even be seen by the former staff), but trust me, the gratitude is heartfelt.

You guys have come a long way to be invited to an on-site visit at Squeenix and also to be featured on the magazine, from Cid's tiny roots. Pure awesomeness, true story. How grown up all of you are now! (as am I... sounding like an old man. rofl.)

Take care and keep up the awesomeness! (: