PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my PS3 controller to play ROM games?

Wolf Kanno
11-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Is there a way to hook it up to my PC and get my ROM games on something like zsnes to recognize it? I seriously get turned off trying to play these games with a keyboard, and I'm too cheap to buy a special controller for my PC.

Pheesh
11-28-2011, 09:38 AM
There is software that 'claims' to do it but I tried and in the end it didn't work for me.

It's worth noting that this was a few years ago though, someone may have made a better program now

Hollycat
11-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Yes you can, it takes a while to sort thing out thought, and then you have to unplug it whenever doing something else. I even use my PS3 controller to play freelancer

rubah
11-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Yes. On OSX you can connect your controller via bluetooth, without having to install special drivers with... 10.5 or later I think? On windows you need to install a driver. I'm not sure if you have to use it over usb though.

Hollycat
11-28-2011, 03:39 PM
yes you do

Levian
11-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Yeah, I've done it myself. You need to download some program and run it once before you open the emulator. I downloaded two programs on my old computer when I did this because the first one didn't work and the second one did. Their names were something including the word sixaxis, and the other was called motioninjoy. I don't remember which one that actually worked, sorry. :D I'm so helpful!

edit: nevermind, here's the article that helped me:

http://www.brighthub.com/video-games/pc/articles/16035.aspx

So I followed the Windows Vista routine because I was on Vista, and that worked for me at least.

Mirage
11-30-2011, 01:17 PM
ROM games, what a strange way to say "emulator".

Anyway, I've done it, but it was pretty annoying to get it to work properly.

It might be easier to do with an xb360 controller, cause those actually have official windows drivers. The dualshock3 drivers are reverse-engineered and third party.

Wolf Kanno
12-01-2011, 05:33 AM
You say tomato, I say Solanum lycopersicum :p

Kokichi
12-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Depends on your OS too.

I can do it easily on my laptop for emulators like GGPO, but my desktop is Vista and refuses to read my controller.

Mirage
12-02-2011, 06:13 PM
You say tomato, I say Solanum lycopersicum :p

Sure, except what said in the first post is actually less accurate :p. Technically, you play a "ROM game" when you boot up your PS3 and insert a bluray-disc containing a game.

Wolf Kanno
12-02-2011, 08:15 PM
meh semantics

chionos
12-02-2011, 10:29 PM
MotionJoy works perfectly for me. I just have to run it in administrator mode most of the time.