PDA

View Full Version : Whenever I am away from FFIX for too long, I suffer crippling heartache.

Quindiana Jones
11-29-2011, 05:39 AM
Turn my blood into ice, for my heart aches from the longing of you.

Can you remember anything about your first ever playthrough of FFIX? I've played it dozens of times, and 100%ed it at least half of those, but I can't remember anything solid about my first time, or if the memories (of liiiife, love's lost refraaaaaiiiiin!) are real memories or if I've made them up. Stupid brain. I remember buying the damn thing. Insane Games, The Avenue, Bridgwater. Platinum edition, no book. £9.99. In year eight I "borrowed" the book from my friend and we both forgot I had it (MUAHAHAHAHAAA!). My friend, who at the time was a more experienced gamer as I had only just received my PS1, told me not to get it as Final Fantasies are shit. Fortunately, I ignored the pillock.

Every time I throw disc one in and the music starts up, I immediately sink into euphoria. It is one of the best things I have ever heard, followed closely by the rest of the soundtrack. The opening bit with Zidane (Arthur!) claiming everything in the room as the game screamed at me to light the bloody candles always feels like going home, in a way. It's the game that effectively changed me for life.

Anyway, following that apparent marriage proposal, I'd like to know if you guys can you remember any similar experiences you had. Do you remember buying/receiving the game? What were your first impressions?

Bolivar
11-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Well I remember getting it for Christmas I believe, with the strategy guide. We were all pretty bummed out about the guide, because it left a lot of stuff out, telling you to go to Play Online to get it. Funny...

But I was just blown away by every aspect of the game, especially after FFVIII which I found to be a tad disappointing. I remember playing the petrified forest bit at my grandma's after Christmas. Such an immersive experience. We also brought it to my friend's party he has during the holidays every year where we game until the next day. There's a bunch of computers so people played Half-Life, Counter-Strike, or show off their EverQuest characters. But that was the year the PS2 came out and a couple of us brought our FFIX saves to show the others what the game was like and to compare our thoughts. I think one of us, maybe me, was at Lindblum at that point and someone noticed a townsperson named "Locke."

Some of my favorite memories from that first playthrough, however, came when we discovered you could assign the characters in your battle party to either controller 1 or 2. We started playing co-op a lot, losing ourselves in the dungeons (Mt. Gulug/whatever they called it in this game was a favorite one), giving tips, messing with eachother's characters with an attack every now and then, but overall just having fun. I did this again in college with one of my best friends a few years ago and we had a blast as well (and finally beat Ozma!!!).

I remember Necron being hard as hell! I liked damage dealers in my FFs back then so it was tough to beat him with Zidane, Steiner, Amarant, and Vivi. But I did it, and when the credits rolled, I really feel like this was the best game I had ever played.

FFIX was very much a communal experience for me. We were always talking in the lunchroom about how far we got yesterday/this weekend, what we thought about it, checking out each other's files and giving tips, and even playing the game together. I can't say this about any other RPG, and it's kind of ironic that it had that experience. But it was a great time and I'm glad I got a chance to take this trip down memory lane.

Rostum
11-30-2011, 12:20 AM
I remember waiting for it to be released, as my friend decided to get a copied-version. He was stuck in the Ice Cavern and so I (easily) helped him out with it, and fell in love. It made me want the game so badly, but it was still a month or two off from release.

I won't go in to a wall of text, because let's be honest no one here really cares that much; I do remember my first play through, and it was glorious!

Quindiana Jones
11-30-2011, 11:29 AM
I won't go in to a wall of text, because let's be honest no one here really cares that much; I do remember my first play through, and it was glorious!

We can safely assume that everyone replying here is as much a massive sad bastard as I am for having such an opinion on it, haha.

Gimme the wall! :D

Bolivar
11-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Yeah dude, if not for us, do it for yourself. Let it all out!

Freya
11-30-2011, 08:00 PM
I remember I rented it first. And I remember playing it in my room and not getting too far. But then I had to take it back. And it's awesomeness stuck with me so years later when I was 13, for my birthday, I convinced my mom to find it on ebay and buy it for me. So Everyday I walked the quarter mile to the mailbox to check. It was disappointing how long it took but when it got there, oh holy tits, it was the most amazing thing.

Tigmafuzz
12-25-2011, 12:05 PM
I loved every minute of IX. My first playthrough is a complete blur, because I was blinded by its awesomeness.
...But my last seven playthroughs are etched in my brain. I'm pretty sure the one I just started will also be stuck in my brain for years to come.