PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Subscription Fees

Rostum
12-07-2011, 05:23 AM
Well, there goes any fun I was having with the game. No way am I paying for such an unpolished and unfinished game. At least not until V2.0 comes around.

FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone (http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/fees1112jklasdwryopemeopw.html)

Unless of course it gets much better before then. I'll just wait and see as I'd rather just keep on keeping on with FFXI or go and get SWTOR.

chionos
12-07-2011, 06:12 AM
They still haven't given me enough reason to leave FFXI for FFXIV even if FFXIV were to remain free, so having to pay means I might never trade out. I just noticed the $3 per additional character....so so so stupid.

Rostum
12-07-2011, 12:17 PM
I think that the way of a set monthly fee is way too draconian these days. SWTOR might get away with it at the moment simply due to the popularity, but other companies letting their MMO's go to free-to-play models seem to be earning a fortune right now. It doesn't have to just be cash shops either; take a look at DCUO. They offer incentives to pay for premium service, but ultimately they have gained a 700% net profit since turning to free-to-play.

Also the fact that they are charging for extra characters is absolutely insane. But at least you can do everything, and experience everything on the one character unlike other MMORPG's. Right?

Peegee
12-07-2011, 03:30 PM
i'd imagine that FTP games might not be able to consistently pull in money (at least in theory they wouldn't) but i'm not sure what percentage of games like world of warcraft's revenue comes from recurring debit rather than game cards or what-not

DCUO is a surprisingly good game considering a lack of extensive end-game (but it is a new game so w/e)

From what I've heard and seen - FF14 is not worth paying money for at this stage. Pretty much everything is going to change anyway.

Del Murder
12-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I was just about to get this game too.

Quindiana Jones
12-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Good to see Square continuing their trend of failing to understand what makes something good. I applaud their consistency, it's just unfortunate that it's that of cold vomit rather than hot gravy.

Rostum
12-07-2011, 11:01 PM
The game is playable, it's just boring as hell. Their incentive is that you can get items and experience the storyline, whereas you won't be able to once V2.0 comes around due to a catastrophe that is going to hit Eorzea (their story for why all the environments are going to be completely changed).

Loony BoB
12-09-2011, 11:46 PM
I'll probably make one-off payments to keep up to date on how things are after patches that are of interest to me (eg. 1.21, when jobs kick in). I won't do too much fighting, but will test it all out and level up some things. I do want to have very high level crafter/gatherer classes by the time it gets to 2.0, though, on the basis that I'll be able to help you guys out a lot that way if you do come back / start up. Also, I dunno, I just like the game for some reason despite the flaws. Just wish there were more people I knew online at times I play so I could hang with them.

The upcoming patch isn't of huge interest to me. Dye stuff, auction house, player search... all fixes, which is great, but not really new content. There's the moogle fight but I'm not ready for that kind of thing yet, I'm a mere L32 Gladiator. But maybe someday. As for the other things, I'll pay if there is something of major interest to me over the next year and see how it all flows.

Rostum
12-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Yeah I'm with BoBsicle. If there's something I like in a new patch then I'll probably want to try it out for at least a month.