PDA

View Full Version : Pronunciation of Kamehameha

KentaRawr!
12-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Now, you might wonder why this isn't in the Lounge, but we're actually talking about the Hawaiian King named Kamehameha, not the blast from DBZ. A friend of mine and I are at a disagreement. He says that the pronunciation of his name is Kameamea, basically removing the hard "H" sound wherever it appears. I say it's Ka-Me-Ha-Me-Ha, with the hard H sound intact. But neither of us really have any hard knowledge of the Hawaiian language, so I was curious if anyone here happens to know the correct pronunciation. Settle our dispute!

Pike
12-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Kamehameha I (Hawaiian pronunciation: [kəmehəˈmɛhə]; ca. 1758 – May 8, 1819)

Looks like there's a pronounced "h" in there to me. :kakapo:

drotato
12-07-2011, 06:11 PM
This dispute... is over 9000!!!

NeoCracker
12-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Kah-May-Hah-May-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

blackmage_nuke
12-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I assume hawaiians dont drop h's since everyone pronounces aloha with the h

DMKA
12-07-2011, 07:13 PM
My significant other is from Hawaii, and says everyone over there, the natives included, pronounce it "Ka-may-uh-may-uh" (no h sounds), and also that the Hulihee Palace is pronounced "Hu-lah-ay-ay" again, no h sounds on h's that come after the first syllable.

Since this is coming from someone who still regularly speaks to their Native Hawaiian friends and lived there for fifteen years, and is quite fluent in the language, I assume it's correct.

But you know, grain of salt, etc.

NeoCracker
12-07-2011, 07:21 PM
My significant other is from Hawaii, and says everyone over there, the natives included, pronounce it "Ka-may-uh-may-uh" (no h sounds), and also that the Hulihee Palace is pronounced "Hu-lah-ay-ay" again, no h sounds on h's that come after the first syllable.

Since this is coming from someone who still regularly speaks to their Native Hawaiian friends and lived there for fifteen years, and is quite fluent in the language, I assume it's correct.

Well I guess the good folks of Hawaii pronounce it wrong then.

CimminyCricket
12-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Yeah like with what DMKA said, the H is silent. Never once in Hawaii did I hear anyone pronounce the H unless they were pretending to be saiyan.

DMKA
12-07-2011, 07:36 PM

Well I guess the good folks of Hawaii pronounce it wrong then.
We should all write a letter to the president about it.

NorthernChaosGod
12-07-2011, 09:56 PM
http://i42.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2ldwoit.png

drotato
12-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Hehe.

Shlup
12-07-2011, 10:47 PM
I pronounce the H. I don't give a fuck all what you do.

I also pronounce faux like fox. Deal with it, bitches.

DMKA
12-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Me too.

I once dated someone who told me to stop and pronounce it "foe".

I dumped them.

Yar
12-08-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm a linguistics student and this thread is MAKING MY HEAD EXPLODE.

Faux and fox aren't interchangeable, Shlup. :mad2:

Anyway, wiki says you pronounce the H. I really don't know much about Hawai'ian though, just that it has fewer consonants than English.

G13
12-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Kah-May-Hah-May-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

This is the only acceptable way to pronounce it.

Laddy
12-08-2011, 02:08 AM
It doesn't matter how it's pronounced; you're already dead.

NorthernChaosGod
12-08-2011, 02:52 AM
Unless you're Cell. Or Vegeta. Or Frieza. Or everyone that's survived one. :p

chionos
12-08-2011, 04:37 AM
I pronounce the H. I don't give a smurf all what you do.

You are straight evil incarnate.

Also, H is supposed to be pronounced. In fact, there is no silent 'h' in Hawaiian at all. Keep in mind that Hawaiian only has 12 letters total, not counting the 5 vowels in long form. 7 Consonants...they can't afford to not pronounce them. The Hawaiian 'h' is actually stressed harder than the English 'h'.
Ho (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fw3cDP9wvM)
hawaiian conversation - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1yOL3gXAaQ&feature=related)
Class 1 (part one): An Introduction To The Hawaiian Language - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR0rVQvRGJo)

Perhaps the confusion is over pidgin Hawaiian? I don't know much about it, but it's what many people use now, not true Hawaiian, and I'm not sure how the 'h' is pronounced in the pidgin version.

GhandiOwnsYou
12-08-2011, 05:58 AM
I've honestly just chalked it up to accent anytime i've ever heard it. Ka-Me-Ha-Me-Ha has always just sounded like someone trying to enunciate everything properly. Ka-mea-mea just sounds like someone else speaking in a more relaxed manner. Then again, I'm from the southeastern US, so my opinions on proper pronunciation are kinda nullified.

Laddy
12-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Unless you're Cell. Or Vegeta. Or Frieza. Or everyone that's survived one. :p
Too bad you're none of those things. Shut up, nerd. :colbert:

NorthernChaosGod
12-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Bite me, dweeb.

drotato
12-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Now now, play nice you two.