PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Culture

Depression Moon
12-08-2011, 10:07 PM
I have the chance to do a pp presentation on any subject I like for a course at my school and I was going to just throw in something I did previously, but my teacher requires a lot of stuff so I mind as well make one from scratch.

I've decided to do it on gaming culture. I was thinking about this for a bit and was wondering what is it exactly. What things make up the culture or lifestyle of gamers.

Right now I have these to talk about
Games (of course)
Socializing
Slang and terminology

Does anyone have any subjects you think I should touch upon in this topic?

Flying Arrow
12-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Not sure how deep you want to get into it, but I think you could probably do up an entire presentation on males and females in gaming culture. Specifically, the males and females who play the games and the representation of males and females within the games. How they treat each other, see each other, and are portrayed by developers, publishers, and the general gaming media. I think you could do a good job taking a look at exactly what kinds of things gamers of both sexes like and seek out as entertainment. You could probably even make some good points comparing different game genres.

Kind of on-topic: didn't you once come here asking for information on the mathematics of RPGs for a paper? How'd that go? (I realize how creepy this question is. I just have a bizarre memory for the most unusual factoids.)

Depression Moon
12-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Yeah I had did a presentation on that too. My teacher thought it was interesting and I think I got a B on it or something. That was back during the spring I think. I guess I could do them on males and females though being a male gamer my info on the females would be lacking, but I suppose there is some info about it on the net.

Bolivar
12-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Well when it comes to gaming culture I guess it could partially be broken down into online (people who read gaming blogs everyday and might be on forums) and offline, which seems like a lot more people to me. I feel like games are kind of a common experience for anyone born in the last thirty years. It's not like skating or music where you know people who are musicians and move in those circles, as I find just random people I meet who game, and sometimes it's people I wouldn't even expect.

Depression Moon
12-09-2011, 09:34 PM
So you're basically saying casual and hardcore?

I was also thinking about discussing language and terminology. Are there particularly any slang terms you know that gamers started? Did noob derive from MMOs?

Quindiana Jones
12-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Evolution of the concept of "gaming culture" could be interesting. Ramifications of the gaming culture; how gamers see it; how non-gamers see it; what massive wankers Australia are etc..

Depression Moon
12-09-2011, 09:43 PM
How do you see it?