PDA

View Full Version : Smash Bros. Equivalent Being Released for PS3

Evastio
12-09-2011, 04:27 AM
Has anyone heard of the new Smash Bros-like game for PS3 that has Sony characters?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c0/Title_Fight.jpg

Yeah, there hasn't really been much proof of the game actually existing. In fact, the only pictures that directly have to do with the game is the logo above me and this picture of Sweet Tooth (https://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/ODk3NDc4OUY0N0M2QUY3OUJCREE6ZjBiODViNDFhZGZjZGI4Y2I3MGJhMzIxZWJkNmM5YWY=?uid=d2cde18c-3813-4b88-aa3a-60874156d0c0).

Details (http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/11/04/title-fight-is-the-tentative-name-for-playstation-3s-upcoming-smash-bros-fighter/) can (http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/11/03/new-gameplay-details-on-sonys-smash-bros-fighter-exclusive-to-paul-gale-network/) be (http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/11/12/answers-to-some-of-the-most-asked-questions-regarding-title-fight-sonys-smash-bros-competitor/) found (http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/11/25/external-testing-has-officially-begun-for-playstation-3s-title-fight-your-sony-smash-bros/) here (http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/11/27/superbot-entertainment-is-developing-title-fight-first-screens-james-bond-update-and-more-info-within/).

Playable characters (there'll be around 20) include Colonel Mael Radec, Kratos, Parappa, Nathan Drake, Sly Cooper, Sweet Tooth, and Fat Princess currently.

So assuming this isn't fake (which it might be, seeing how only that site has new info on it), what do you think so far?

I'm pretty interested in the specials system that they have, seeing how it consists of a three part meter and "Final Smashes" are only usable when all three sections of the meter are full. Having a 20 character roster is a bit... small. I'm hoping that Jak, Ratchet, and Sackboy will be included. I'm hoping that they'll include Crash Bandicoot as well, since he was practically the mascot for Sony back in the day, but given his situation now it'll be hard. They also said that the staff themselves don't know the full roster, since they need to negotiate with the different character owners to see if they can use them in Title Fight.

On a side note, I'm really hoping that they don't stick with Title Fight as the final title. They should at least put Sony somewhere in the title.

Bolivar
12-10-2011, 05:49 AM
Alright, look. I'm a big PlayStation fan, everyone here knows it, I buy and play a lot of the big PS3 and PSP exclusives but I don't think this is really the coolest idea ever. I mean number one it's going to be directly compared to Smash, which isn't how you want to start right out the gate. But more than anything I think Sony needs to accept that these characters just don't have the cultural impact or just general presence in the gaming community that Nintendo characters have. I think the numbers show that while these games sell very well, they're not the epic icons that every gamer knows. If you walked into a Game Stop and showed the regular Madden/Call of Duty player a picture of Cole McGrath or Sweet Tooth they'd probably have no idea who they are. Mario or Link? That's a different story.

Also a lot of these guys have only been around for one console gen, and other two max. As a gamer, it's awesome that Sony creates A LOT of new gaming franchises every generation, but for something like this, it's almost a little pretentious to pretend that these guys have earned their stripes as legends. I LOVE Colonel Radec, his character design and voice acting is PHENOMENAL but he was just in one game. I know you could say that about some of the SSB characters, but they're anchored by veterans of the gaming world.

And with mechanics, I don't know if I can trust Sony San Diego or whatever B-Team internal developer they're going to hand this off to to come through on the gameplay. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a PlayStation Move title. Actually, that would be kinda cool...

Overall, I think there's a lot of other cool things SCE could be doing right now... I know they like to keep even their lesser acclaimed studios busy, but those dudes could be getting outsourced a lot of the work on the bigger titles, like how Ubisoft essentially has 4-5 teams crafting the yearly Assassin's Creed II trilogy. All that being said, I would love for PlayStation to prove me wrong.

Del Murder
12-10-2011, 07:30 AM
This is just plain silly. Who the hell wants to see Nathan Drake fight Fat Princess? Give me some Donkey Kong vs. Pikachu, thanks.

Pete for President
12-10-2011, 10:18 AM
I think it's a weak idea. At least come up with a new game concept instead of a rip-off.

Mirage
12-10-2011, 10:47 AM
It's not that it's unoriginal tha tputs me off, but that I don't even really have a very strong attachment to any of the characters they've announced so far.

Who is mael radec? Who's sweet tooth? I've never played fat princess, or any of the sly games either.

Depression Moon
12-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Sweet Tooth will be the new Captain Falcon.

I'd better be able to play as an Arc the Lad character.

Ultima Shadow
12-10-2011, 05:11 PM
It's not that it's unoriginal tha tputs me off, but that I don't even really have a very strong attachment to any of the characters they've announced so far.Agreed. Every single character I've seen so far has been more of a turn-off for me than anything else. Hardly any of them fits the Super Smash concept, most of them are very unappealing and I don't even recognise half of them.

Swap that random, ugly bunch for more things like "Crash Bandicoot", Laharl and Kos-Mos, and I'll be sold in an instant though.

NorthernChaosGod
12-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Ha! Snake is already in Smash Bros. :hahaha:

I remember Sweet Tooth well from PSX, but who the hell wants to play as him? I can't think of any good characters for this kind of thing.

NeoCracker
12-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Kratos, Cole, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Snake, and Nyx could all be awesome to play as from recent games. And if they go back to pre-PS3 games we have Persona and Xenosaga characters. Aegis Vs. KOS-MOS anyone?

And don't forget any of the Disgaea characters, or Makai Kingdom.

There are a lot of PS Exlusives that could give us some awesome characters, the problem is I doubt most of them would make the cut.

GhandiOwnsYou
12-11-2011, 12:00 AM
The problem here is they'll never get licensing to get the characters we actually want in there. Nintendo can pull something like this off because they have a large cast of characters, fitting a common art style, all owned by nintendo. Sony has an awesome lineup from playstation history, but the characters are all very different, from very different games, and often those games aren't owned by sony. I mean really, i could care less about what version of brooding male protagonist with five o'clock shadow they have on the cast. I'll give them sweet tooth, crash, spyro, sackboy, Sir Daniel from MidiEvil, and possibly Tag from Modnation. Outside of those, i think anyone else is going to feel shoehorned into a game they don't fit in.

Skyblade
12-11-2011, 06:37 AM
Kratos, Cole, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Snake, and Nyx could all be awesome to play as from recent games. And if they go back to pre-PS3 games we have Persona and Xenosaga characters. Aegis Vs. KOS-MOS anyone?

And don't forget any of the Disgaea characters, or Makai Kingdom.

There are a lot of PS Exlusives that could give us some awesome characters, the problem is I doubt most of them would make the cut.

Persona has its own fighting game coming up, and I get the feeling it will be way more interesting.

Although I would accept KOS-MOS as a guest character, but only once more of the Persona cast is filled out. I want Mitsuru in the game, dangit.

Psychotic
12-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Just make it a Crash Bandicoot fighting game with characters from Crash Bandicoot. Dingodile smacking Coco in the face with his tail? I could not say "Yes!" enough times. Also Spyro the Dragon would be in it too, but he'd be the only outsider allowed. Oh also Lance Vance from GTA: Vice City.

Goldenboko
12-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Seeing as Snake is already in Smash, they already lost their heaviest hitter.

Ultima Shadow
12-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Aegis Vs. KOS-MOS anyone?
Make a fighter with those two as the only avaiable characters, and I'll freaking buy it on the release.

Mao (Disgaea 3) vs Dr. Neo Cortex would be another awesome battle.

And for story mode, just replace Giga Bowser with Overlord Bhaal. <3

Bob-Ombs = Prinnies!

Rocket Edge
12-12-2011, 06:56 PM
What about FF characters? I wouldn't even say no to a Moomba, Chocobo, or Moogle being included. :moogle:

Bolivar
12-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Cloud Strife!!!

Honestly I'm feeling what some of you guys are saying, obviously if you're going for smash, some of the more deformed or traditional gamey characters like the Dissidia and Persona crew fit the bill more than the ultra-realistic new PS3 IPs. But the VGAs came and went and this title was not announced, so I think we're safe...

DMKA
12-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Who the hell wants to see Nathan Drake fight Fat Princess?
That would be me.

I think it's a weak idea. At least come up with a new game concept instead of a rip-off.
As if Super Smash Bros wasn't a "ripoff" of Capcom's already established crossover fighter formula.

And I think it's safe to say this is bogus and the game isn't actually being made.

NorthernChaosGod
12-14-2011, 01:08 AM
Which game are you talking about? Smash Bros. isn't like any other fighter out there. :confused:

Evastio
12-15-2011, 12:16 AM
A 3rd FAQ (http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/12/06/huge-title-fight-update-now-with-more-jak-daxter-lair-dragons-and-third-qa/) has now been posted confirming Jak and Daxter. They also mention a second playable female character, which is likely Nariko from Heavenly Sword.

I forgot to mention that they're considering James Bond as a playable character. It was mentioned in one of the articles in my first post that Sony is helping MGM develop the next James Bond movie and as a result, are considering putting James Bond in the roster.

So among the characters that are currently announced, who are you guys planning to main? I'll probably main Sly Cooper and Jak and Daxter (from what they've implied Jax and Daxter are one character).

Depression Moon
12-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Sackboy for Life!

SuperMillionaire
12-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Interesting... I might just check it out when more details are available.

Goldenboko
12-23-2011, 10:25 PM

Cloud Strife!!!

I said heaviest.

Depression Moon
12-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Come on now Boko, you know Cloud's sword has to weight a ton.

SuperMillionaire
02-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Toro, Kuro, and Cole MacGrath are in Street Fighter X Tekken... surely, they should be in this game too...

black orb
02-07-2012, 03:55 AM
>>> Sony sucks, make one with Sega characters..:luca:

SuperMillionaire
02-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Oh my... do you kinda wish for Sega to get back into the console business again?

Lamia
02-08-2012, 07:15 PM
I would love to body slam Nathan Drake using Fat Princess. Bring it on.

Bolivar
02-09-2012, 01:25 PM
This game is still only a rumor. None of the big sites are reporting it except this strange Paul Gale fellow.

Oh my... do you kinda wish for Sega to get back into the console business again?

Launch Lineup:
Shining Force IV
Virtua Fighter 6
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Sonic & Knuckles 2
Golden Axe IV
Shenmue III
Sword of Vermilion 2

SuperMillionaire
03-01-2012, 10:19 PM
This game is still only a rumor. None of the big sites are reporting it except this strange Paul Gale fellow.

Launch Lineup:
Shining Force IV
Virtua Fighter 6
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Sonic & Knuckles 2
Golden Axe IV
Shenmue III
Sword of Vermilion 2

Well, okay then... I hope they get back into the console business too.

Anyway, going back to the main topic, I would guess that this game probably won't come out until next year, possibly with a new title...

Vyk
03-02-2012, 02:48 AM
This seems odd. Presuming you'd have people like Nathan Drake, Nariko, someone from one of the Ico team's games, Kratos, etc. And then things like Sockboy and Fat Princess? Its like cartoons vs humans. They'd need to pick one side or the other because I don't think these are going to mesh as well as Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It'd be more like Cool World: The Fighting Game

And off topic, Sega doesn't need to get back into the console race. But they do need to make those games with the competence they had in their studios about midway through their console life. Though they apparently lost most of their competent designers

SuperMillionaire
03-12-2012, 08:03 PM
This seems odd. Presuming you'd have people like Nathan Drake, Nariko, someone from one of the Ico team's games, Kratos, etc. And then things like Sockboy and Fat Princess? Its like cartoons vs humans. They'd need to pick one side or the other because I don't think these are going to mesh as well as Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It'd be more like Cool World: The Fighting Game

And off topic, Sega doesn't need to get back into the console race. But they do need to make those games with the competence they had in their studios about midway through their console life. Though they apparently lost most of their competent designers

True, I would agree, but then look at Super Smash Bros., because it has both "cute, cartoony" characters and "realistic human" characters as well.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Aegis Vs. KOS-MOS anyone?

When Soul Calibur 2 came out I bought it because it let me use Link from The Legend of Zelda in a fighting game (Super Smash Bros. aside...). So far amongst the list of characters being rumored to appear I have zero interest. I'd love to play as KOS-MOS.

When I first read this thread I was hoping to see some Final Fantasy characters in a fighting game, then I realized I own Ehrgeiz and both Dissidias.

I'll probably pass on playing this game if I don't see any characters that are a huge draw for me.

Edit: You know...I really don't like using terms like "I'll pass on this game" or "I might pick that one up". When I was a child playing video games was an escape. Some sort of fantasy I could live in. An alternate world to our own. So when I say things like "pass on" or "pick up"....well, I don't know. They sound too much like financial terms, which I really don't like. In general though, you understand what i'm trying to say in the last sentence of my post so I'll leave it as is.

SuperMillionaire
03-19-2012, 08:32 PM
The roster should consist of a mixture of both central popular characters and lesser known "retro" or "long lost" characters.

Depression Moon
04-27-2012, 07:55 PM
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale for PS3 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v1bQSw7FOUQ)

Roto13
04-28-2012, 02:08 PM
When I heard the concept I was like "Well, being a crossover fighting game doesn't necessarily mean it's just Smash Bros. with Sony characters."

Holy crap, though. :P It totally is.

Sony doesn't have enough instantly recognizable and classic characters to really pull this off as well as Nintendo does. I mean, that dude from Killzone is one of the announcement characters. Who even remembered he existed?

Maybe if Sony stuck with their characters across generations. :P I can't really think of any that have appeared on all three PlayStations that aren't third-party characters.

NeoCracker
04-28-2012, 04:56 PM
...Wow that's blatant.

Agent Proto
04-28-2012, 07:26 PM
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale for PS3 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v1bQSw7FOUQ)

I watched part of that video, saw Fat Princess fight and noticed she has some moves stolen from Peach. Hello butt attack? xD

NorthernChaosGod
04-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Hahahaha. That looks just like Smash, except the stages look like the suck more.

Roto13
04-29-2012, 12:16 AM
Hahahaha. That looks just like Smash, except the stages look like the suck more.

The stages are their own mini crossovers. Like Hades smashing the ground and suddenly being sieged by Patapon.

That actually sounds really cool.

Pheesh
04-29-2012, 02:57 AM
This game will not be worth the lame fanboy fighting that it creates.

NorthernChaosGod
04-29-2012, 04:51 AM

The stages are their own mini crossovers. Like Hades smashing the ground and suddenly being sieged by Patapon.

Well I dislike all the Smash stages that have hazards. :|

Roto13
04-29-2012, 04:53 PM

Well I dislike all the Smash stages that have hazards. :|

You're one of those Fox-only no items Final Destination types, aren't you? ;P Because almost all of them have hazards. It's part of the game.

NorthernChaosGod
04-29-2012, 07:35 PM
If you want to exaggerate, yes. :p Some of the levels with hazards or gimmicks I have no problem with like Corneria or Jungle Japes, but stages like Poke Floats are lame.

Ultima Shadow
04-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Hahahaha. That looks just like Smash, except the characters look like they suck more.
Fixed.

When a fighting game like this doesn't even have a single appealing character, there's something wrong.

You're one of those Fox-only no items Final Destination types, aren't you? ;P Because almost all of them have hazards. It's part of the game.
Hey, we can play on Yoshi's Story, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams and Dream Land 64 too! :greenie:

...though to be perfectly honest, I do personally find Final Destination to be the most entertaining stage overall. :p

Jiro
04-29-2012, 08:36 PM
They're going to have to do more than just level mashups to avoid being called complete copy cats :p

Roto13
04-30-2012, 01:27 AM
Hahahaha. That looks just like Smash, except the characters look like they suck more.
Fixed.

When a fighting game like this doesn't even have a single appealing character, there's something wrong.

Hey, we can play on Yoshi's Story, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams and Dream Land 64 too! :greenie:

...though to be perfectly honest, I do personally find Final Destination to be the most entertaining stage overall. :p

Dream Land 64 has wind. ;P

Depression Moon
04-30-2012, 02:19 AM
More Than a Copy - Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale - Playstation 3 Preview (http://totalplaystation.com/ps3/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/previews/10445/1/)

Ultima Shadow
04-30-2012, 02:30 AM
Dream Land 64 has wind. ;P
Yeah, but it's not too bad. In fact, I'd say the random Shy Guys on Yoshi's story can screw you over more since the hitstun when you hit one can throw your timing off, or stop Falcon/Ganon's side B too early etc. :p

There's a difference between some harmless wind and a rotating stage with bombs dropping on you from nowhere. :greenie:

...actually, even though I'm a tournament player in SSBM, I still love playing on Pokefloat. It's an awesome stage, and unlike randomly rotating stages and bombs and stuff, everything on that stage is 100% predictable. I'd say it's a pretty fair and balanced stage, actually. :cool:

...that does not go for Rainbow Ride or Big Blue, however. They give certain characters very unfair advantages and others disadvantages. Especially Big Blue sucks.

NeoCracker
04-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Pressing the square, triangle and circle buttons by themselves or with a directional input
results in different special moves. This essentially represents two to three times the possible attacks
available as compared to Smash

Wait, wasnt' it the same in Smash Bros, only they only used 2 buttons? Doesn't this mean it's only
500% more, not 2-3 times more? Either way I like the Idea of bigger move sets.

The only way to score a kill in Battle Royale is to use one of your character's three super moves.

I hope this isn't a default setting, cause that is smurfig stupid.

As you land successful attacks or get hit, your AP meter fills.
So, you can only win by building up your AP meter to use your special moves, yet getting hit builds up your AP meter? The smurf?

It's having a hydra from God of War wreaking havoc while you do battle in Metropolis,
or needing to answer Buzz! trivia questions in the middle of a match on the ever shifting
Little Big Planet Dreamscape.

One of these stages sounds pretty awesome. One sounds stupid as hell. The one about answering quizzes in a fighting game is not the awesome one.

The article also says it doesn't limit your strategy, yet ONLY your specials can get you points. So basically you have to play in order to set up your specials. There is more to it yes, but this Is a factor that's going to limit viable options with each character.

And his comments on the Items were odd. The Reason Items are game breaking in Smash is because they are random.

Unless they've changed the highly random nature of items, and instead have very controled and predictable drops, I have no Idea what he means by this games Items are less game breaking.

This game sounds more and more like a bad Idea reading that article. Also this.

Penny Arcade - The Back, Back Catalogue (http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/04/30)

SuperMillionaire
04-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Well now, that news is surely very interesting. The game is slated for a holiday season 2012 release. I think that they could have also ported it to the Vita though, since Super Smash Bros 4 is headed to both the Wii U and the 3DS.

Sony has certainly been stepping up on the competition with Nintendo in recent years. They've began making handheld game consoles, and now they're making their own Super Smash Bros-style game.

Tranquil
06-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Saw this at Sony E3. Looked promising.

Bolivar
06-11-2012, 04:22 AM
I think that they could have also ported it to the Vita though, since Super Smash Bros 4 is headed to both the Wii U and the 3DS.

I think they are porting it to Vita.

I was kind of put off of the idea when it was just a rumor, and then it turns out that in addition to concept, they're actually borrowing a substantial amount of the Smash Bros. game design. I find that incredibly shameless and, yet, ironically, it makes me want to play it.

Roto13
06-11-2012, 04:32 AM
I think that they could have also ported it to the Vita though, since Super Smash Bros 4 is headed to both the Wii U and the 3DS.

I think they are porting it to Vita.

They are. With crossplay.

Evastio
08-25-2012, 05:25 AM
I hope this isn't considered a necro-post, but Ratchet & Clank (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jUjmD6vcMOE), Dante (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VInipGOi7YM), Sackboy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5AGDRQIKkeE), and Spike (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qqDy9dDjpvQ) are all confirmed.

Also, some of you may already know about the leak from the beta, but the developers themselves said that the beta doesn't necessarily reflect the final product, so that isn't necessarily all of the characters.

Evastio
09-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Evil Cole (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzFCSgCLFxw&feature=player_embedded), Raiden (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPHuC4dDpgA&feature=player_embedded), Nariko (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ilLHQSNA2bI), and Sir Daniel Fortesque (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TQmHbP9_VjI) have all been officially revealed.

Apparently, Superbot will be revealing at least one new character for every major gaming conference that comes around (eg: the Tokyo Game Show), so it looks like we'll have quite a few more character reveals left, none of which, have been already revealed by the leak.

On a side note, have any of you guys been able to play the beta version at all? You can supposedly get a code and be able to play a demo version and help the developers test the online gameplay.

Mercen-X
09-02-2012, 03:29 AM
http://www.gamesthirst.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/PlayStation-All-Stars.jpg

lol Butler

SuperMillionaire
09-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Yes, the game is cross-compatible between PS3 and Vita, and will be released in November.

Beowulf
09-19-2012, 06:11 PM
I need this game.

Evastio
10-07-2012, 05:18 AM
I don't like being the bearer of bad news (and I really hope by some freak chance I'm wrong), but according to Omar, the person directing the game, the 20 characters revealed so far are all we're getting on the disc:

Part 1 of the Playstation All Stars Battle Royale EB Expo Interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXn0kEgqzPU)

Notable FAQ Quotes About the roster (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/668999-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/64243351)

So this is confirmed to be the final roster on the disc:

Big Daddy
Cole MacGrath
Colonel Radec
Dante
Evil Cole MacGrath
Fat Princess
Heihachi Mishima
Jak and Daxter
Kratos
Nariko
Nathan Drake
Parappa
Raiden
Ratchet and Clank
Sackboy
Sir Daniel Fortesque
Sly Cooper
Spike
Sweet Toot
Toro Inoue

Yeah, no Crash or Spyro, which were probably the two most requested characters for this game.

Personally, I'm still wanting to play it, but not nearly as much as before.

Roogle
10-07-2012, 08:35 PM
I played this game briefly at Evolution 2012, a fighting game tournament in Las Vegas, and it felt very similar to Super Smash Bros. at face value.

I am surprised at how few characters I recognize out of the roster. I mostly stick to role-playing games and fighting games outside of Nintendo titles like Mario or Zelda, but I probably only recognize a handful of those out of the whole list, let alone want to see them in a game.

Bolivar
10-07-2012, 09:23 PM
On charm and nostalgia levels, leaving out Spyro and Crash is like if Mario and Link weren't in SSB64. Having the guy from Medieval almost makes up for it...

And since they've gone multiplatform on the roster, I would've liked to see more actual fighting characters join, especially since Ed Boon is a PlayStation fan. Tekken was a big one to get though, so props on that.

Kain and Raziel would've been incredible.

Also, I played a lot of PS3 this gen but I can understand Roogle's surprise. I think the PlayStation community is really different than what it was 10 years ago.

Or maybe just their expectations are...

Evastio
11-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Playstation All Stars Battle Royale will be released in 12 days.

The 20 character roster is confirmed to be the final on-disc roster. They did confirm downloadable content such as characters and stages though. Polygon Man is also confirmed to be the final boss.

Also, here's a video of the game intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxTYkuSIjk4). Really epic stuff, if you ask me (especially the music).

Evastio
11-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Playstation Blog has confirmed that Kat from Gravity Rush and Emmett Graves from Starhawk as downloadable playable characters. (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/15/first-playstation-all-stars-dlc-kat-and-emmett-join-the-battle-royale-for-free/) They'll be free for the first two weeks they're made available, after which you'll have to pay for them.

Kat:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8484/8186494241_5ed1249324.jpg

Emmett Graves:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8345/8187534744_b26ea8e0a8.jpg

Also, if you aren't familiar with them, they're both first party characters to Sony so even though they aren't Crash and Spyro, I'd still say their inclusion (especially Kat, who was one of the top 10 most requested characters) is sensible and fair.

...wow, I just realized how weird it is that I'm the one that's always updating this thread and I'm (from what I've seen on the forums) the most hyped one on EoFF for this when I'm first and foremost a Nintendo fan. I don't even own a PS3 so I won't even be able to play the game myself. I guess the lack of SSB4 information has had me satiating my appetite on this game in the meantime. That and it's about time that other companies have released Smash Bros. like games (in terms of them being free for all mascot fighting games).

It's too bad Microsoft themselves said they want to create new kinds of games, and thus, don't plan on making a Smash Bros. like game with their characters. (Blinx the Cat!!)

SuperMillionaire
12-12-2012, 01:37 PM
The game is in stores now.

Ultima Shadow
12-12-2012, 07:24 PM
...aaand, I'm still incredibly disappointed in the character rooster and won't be getting the game for that reason.

I can understand KOS-MOS not being in the game, but the lack of Crash and Soul Reaver characters is just stupid. :colbert:

...I also dislike the idea of DLC characters for this kind of game tbh.

SuperMillionaire
12-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Perhaps if this game sells well, then they'll make a sequel with those characters.

And the game is described as a mixture of Super Smash Bros. and Marvel vs. Capcom 3, in terms of the combo styles.

Goldenboko
12-21-2012, 03:30 PM
I can understand KOS-MOS not being in the game, but the lack of Crash and Soul Reaver characters is just stupid. :colbert:

Wow. Really? Fuck that.

Evastio
12-21-2012, 07:03 PM
...not much optimism about this game, huh?

I haven't played the game at all yet (seeing how I don't even own a PS3), but hopefully sometime during the winter holidays I'll be able to go to my friend's house, try it out, and give my impressions on the game.

Also, I should probably tell you guys that you can get the DLC for free during the first two weeks even if you don't have the game. It might be a good idea to get it for free during then, if ever you decide to get the game used or later on. You can always delete the free DLC later, but you can't get it for free later on.

Goldenboko
12-21-2012, 07:12 PM
So much of these games fun are based off me playing characters I grew up with. The lineup of this title doesn't do that for me.

Evastio
12-24-2012, 04:44 PM
I know where you're coming from, trust me. I was looking forward to this game so much because I though it would be Sony's epic revival of Crash in HD, and he's nowhere to be seen. He's also the character that most people think of first when they think of mascots for Sony (moreso than Kratos and Sackboy, who are the current mascots for this generation). Having him omitted (along with many other iconic characters on Playstation, but Crash was the most popular and the most requested character for this game) is just as messed up and wrong as omitting Mega Man in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

...I still want to try out the game at least and see what Sony's take on free-for-all fighting games is like. Sure, the characters aren't as iconic as Nintendo, Capcom, or Sega's, but I always find it fun playing games with characters from different universes crossing over and interacting, even if I'm not familiar with them. It's actually thanks to Smash Bros. and the characters I were unfamiliar with that I got into game series like Fire Emblem, F-Zero, Earthbound/Mother, and Star Fox.

...aaand, I'm still incredibly disappointed in the character rooster and won't be getting the game for that reason.

...I also dislike the idea of DLC characters for this kind of game tbh.
I haven't actually heard of Soul Reaver until I saw a few request for characters from it for this game.

I completely agree with Crash, though. Most people blame Activision for Crash not being in, due to them being the current owners of them now. Universal owned Crash, they ended up being fused with Vivendi Games/Vicarious Visions, then Activision bought the rights to those companies. At least, that's how I think it went.

I find it interesting that you're against DLC for this game, especially since quite a few people complained that Super Smash Bros. Brawl didn't have any DLC characters (though that's technically impossible due to the Wii's Flash based memory). I'm interested in hearing your reasoning why. I get personally preferring all characters being available in the game day one since it's more of a complete package that way and it doesn't feel like an incomplete product is being released, but the way they're releasing DLC for this game is hardly as bad as what other companies do (especially the free for first two weeks part and it not being on-disc DLC).

Ultima Shadow
12-25-2012, 12:32 AM
I find it interesting that you're against DLC for this game, especially since quite a few people complained that Super Smash Bros. Brawl didn't have any DLC characters (though that's technically impossible due to the Wii's Flash based memory). I'm interested in hearing your reasoning why. I get personally preferring all characters being available in the game day one since it's more of a complete package that way and it doesn't feel like an incomplete product is being released, but the way they're releasing DLC for this game is hardly as bad as what other companies do (especially the free for first two weeks part and it not being on-disc DLC).

Well, I'm only against it if it's not free. And it's for the same reason I dislike there being 3 DLC characters in Continuum Shift. It's basically just tournament related, really. If the game sees competitive play, you more or less "have to" get all the DLC characters, or you will lose tournament matches because you're up against a character you know nothing about. And buying all 3 DLC characters in Continuum Shift cost like... half the game itself. If you really wanna be competitive with a game, I guess it's not all that much money in the long run, but still... I think every game that is likely to see competitive play should have all characters available inside the game itself, so every competitive player won't have to get every single DLC character. :p

Evastio
12-27-2012, 05:31 PM
That's an interesting take on it. Though I feel that compared to all the other DLC releasing plans that other games do, this one is quite good.

Let's just hope that Kat and Emett Graves aren't the last DLC characters.

Evastio
01-10-2013, 04:47 AM
Alright, I just played this game at my friend's place, and I have to say it's a lot of fun.

I'll start off with the most asked question: yes, it feels quite a bit like Smash Bros, especially with the movement, dodge rolling, air dodging, double jumping, and pressing the same button with different directions yielding different. Though the controls are slightly different, like how you can't just attack to pick up items (that's R1's function) and how throws are done with the right analog stick (and I found them a lot harder to successfully do than in Smash Bros). With most characters, Square attacks are melee attacks, Triangle attacks are projectiles, and Circle attacks are special property attacks (like shields and counters).

Sly Cooper and Dante were the characters I wanted to try out first. Sly Cooper was a lot more about mind games and traps rather than speed. I suppose I was decent with him, but I wasn't able to make effective use of his traps and counters. Dante was pretty awesome with swift swordplay and guns. He also has air dashes and a counter. Cole (good) was probably the character I was best with, even though I thought he'd be quite complicated. He's good good range with his melee attacks and the melee combos themselves are quite long. His lightning moves give him lots of ranged options and have quite a lot of stun, which can lead into combos, and he has a projectile absorber that gives him AP when hit by enemy projectiles, instead of the other way around. I especially like his level 2 special (freezing everything in front of him, forming a huge ice wall). It's kind of slow, but the range it covers is ridiculous, making getting 3 kills really easy. Sackboy was rather short ranged, but he had a lot of trap moves and he also has a rocket that's both an attack and an effective way to move around. Using him required quite a bit of strategy, and just wildly attacking with him is hardly effective (I still think I did decently with him). Spike I was quite awesome with. He has twin clubs, which are fast and give him quite a long melee range. He's got a lot of tools at his disposal as well like the banana-rang and even summonable monkeys that attack opponents. His level 1 special (the net) is quite awesome. Even though it's short ranged, it's fast and its range is deceptively larger than you'd expect. Toro is quite short ranged, but he has quite a lot of charging attacks (attacks where he moves in and attacks at the same time, not the powering up kind of charging) in ninja form to make up for it. That's the form I used the most, since the other two forms didn't have many attacks that made up for his short range. He does pull out weapons for some of his melee attacks though, like brooms and hammers, which help his range problems a little. Overall, I think I was decent with him but I wasn't able to utilize him to his fullest. Sir Daniel has quite a large variety of attacks from sword slashes to boomerang axes to charging in with his shield. I think I was quite good with him, but not Cole or Spike good seeing how his specials weren't the best at racking kills.

The levels and their hazard weren't as bad as I thought. Rather than being able to be killed from hazards, you just lose AP. It's bad, but it's not going to cost you the match most of the time, unless you really don't make an effort to avoid them. And most of them are easy to see coming, especially missiles which show crosshairs before hitting.

The special system was quite weird at first, especially since there's no health to worry about and instead you spend more time worrying about your opponent's special meters and when they're going to use their specials. Though at the same time, it gives off a thrilling feeling. There's a big feeling of relief when your opponent misses their special, a big feeling of disappointment when you miss performing your own special, and a big feeling of fear once your opponent reaches their level 3 (which I was unable to do since 3 minutes matches weren't long enough for me to reach level 3. It was my first time playing the game after all). Landing a level 1 special on multiple opponents has got to be one of the most satisfying things to do in this game.

Overall, I found the game to be really fun. Sure, the characters aren't as iconic as Smash Bros. and the special system feels weird at first, but once you get the hang of it it's quite easy to get into. I practically forgot about wanting Crash and Spyro in this game and not being heavily familiar with the character cast because of how fun and addicting the gameplay was.

Flaming Ice
01-10-2013, 04:54 AM
Dante was pretty awesome with swift swordplay and guns. He also has air dashes and a counter. Cole (good) was probably the character I was best with, even though I thought he'd be quite complicated. He's good good range with his melee attacks and the melee combos themselves are quite long.

I liked both cole and dante too....but I've been raising fat princess up in ranks too. Only thing is figuring where you have to be/how close opponent's have to be to do certain specials Like fat princess' 2nd special too..

Flaming Ice
01-10-2013, 04:56 AM
So much of these games fun are based off me playing characters I grew up with. The lineup of this title doesn't do that for me.
\They should have had 30 characters...too small of a roster.

Evastio
01-22-2013, 03:32 AM
Alright, Kat and Emett Graves are confirmed to be released Feb. 12, and the two will be free for two weeks after that.

There's also new DLC characters that will be announced in March.

SuperMillionaire
01-30-2013, 03:46 PM
If the game sells good enough and has a good reception, they'll make a sequel, and all of the DLC characters, along with a bunch of other new characters, will be included in the game.

The game itself feels like a combination of Super Smash Bros and Marvel vs Capcom 3.

TrollHunter
01-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Id get this just to play as ratchet and sly cooper. Ima need to do some research on the game

Evastio
01-31-2013, 03:54 AM
Well, I'll save you from doing some research.

Here's the playable characters in the game:
Kratos
PaRappa
Fat Princess
Sweet Tooth
Radec
Sly Cooper
Nathan Drake
Cole
Evil Cole
Ratchet
Jak
Big Daddy
Dante
Heihachi
Nariko
Raiden
Sackboy
Sir Daniel
Spike
Toro

Stages consist of mash ups of different game universes, like The Dojo from Parappa the Rapper which gets destroyed by a monster from Bioshock and the Dreamscape from LittleBigPlanet that gets invaded by Buzz who then quizzes players on their knowledge of the represented game's characters and universes. Levels can never actually kill you, though they can drain AP (I'll get to that later), which is detrimental but won't cost you the match most of the time.

The game has no health or percent like Smash Bros. Instead, there's AP. Every time you successfully land an attack, the attacker gets AP. The attacked character does not lose AP, unless attacked by an item, a throw, or by very specific moves that steal AP. AP is required to perform special attacks, which are the only means of KOing opponents. There are 3 levels of specials, the higher ones being easier to get kills with but requiring more AP. Level 3 specials are very powerful, either guaranteeing killing every opponent on screen or being capable of getting multiples kills (even on the same opponent when they respawn and lose invincibility).

Basically, the gameplay revolves around gaining AP from attacking and performing specials to KO opponents.

Keep in mind that you're always forced to use the highest level special possible (so you can't use multiple level 1 specials if your level 3 special is available) and that no matter how much you're attacked, you're always just as vulnerable to dying (so don't go thinking you're safe from dying just because you've recently respawned, especially when you've just been killed by a level 3 special).

Items work similarly to Smash Bros (though you need to press R1 to pick them up), though they have no killing capabilities (besides the Medusa Head, which I have yet to encounter). Attacking with items will cause the opponents AP to spill in the form of white orbs, which anyone can gather (even the one who lost the AP). Throwing opponents will also cause the same effect. Using items and throws is a good way to prevent opponents from building up and using their supers.

It might be a bit hard to understand with just words, so here's the video tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rebkS4rONgQ).

Evastio
02-13-2013, 12:47 AM
All the announced DLC (2 new characters, 2 new stages if you count Polygon Man's Domain, and a ton of minions) is now currently available on the PSN, so get it while it's free for the next two weeks!

Also, the game's price has dropped from $59.99 to $39.99, so for those who were waiting for a price drop, it's already happened. (and before the DLC was released too, lucky us!!)

Formalhaut
02-13-2013, 01:11 AM
You can tell interest in this game is low when it's essentially mainly one guy talking about it.

Personally? Sony was just trying to cash-cow off of SSBB and the like. I only know roughly two or three of the characters. I mean come-on, Sony has never been one to have a real "mascot" character. The closest mascots I can think of anyway are Spyro and Crash, and their not even in the damn game.

The title? PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is just one long-winded name, with no real purpose behind it. It's not as catchy as Super Smash. I also see a distinct lack of female characters there. You have the Fat Princess, Nariko, and.. oh wait. That's it. If you don't include DLC. 2/20? I'm no feminist, but even so? If you then include sort of "cute" characters like Toro and Sack Boy even, that's up to 4. I just find it all very meh.

That's my opinion on the game. 'Meh'.

Evastio
02-13-2013, 01:32 AM
...I know it's not really the best of fighting games (too little content and no unlockables whatsoever) and it's not on Smash Bros' level, and I agree with you on the mascots issue (though that's supposedly Activision's fault for asking for way too much money to let Superbot use Crash and Spyro in the game). The name I also don't like either (Sony All Stars would've been so much better, shorter, and to the point), though it's much better than the previous name "Title Fight."

The main reason I'm so excited about this game is because it's the first time that another game company has taken the Smash Bros. concept and used it with their own characters. Sure there was TV Dream Mix Fighters, but that wasn't released internationally. People have taken really popular game formulas from other games like Mario Kart, but no one has really done it with Smash Bros. before. It's such a fun fighting game style, it supports up to four players, the controls and attacks are easier to perform compared to traditional fighters, you've got fan favourites from various game series fighting it out, it's really hard to believe that it's taken until now for other game companies to try out the same thing with their characters. I was expecting Sega to have pulled this off a long time ago (after Nintendo, they probably have the best cast to do this with), but they never did.

Basically, more Smash Bros like games = more fun

And at worst, it's something to hold us off until SSB4 comes out, but the game is still fun in its own right.

nirojan
02-13-2013, 02:17 AM
StarHawk's Emmet and Gravity Rush's Kat were both released today!

You have two weeks to download them for free. After that they go up to $4.99 each. Grab em now folks!

Formalhaut
02-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Overall, it is a good idea, but with not enough conviction to implement it. Just everything about this game for me just appears slightly lazily done and just mediocre.

Though to be honest, most fighting games for me appear that way after the success of SSBB.

Evastio
03-01-2013, 01:53 AM
Zeus from God of War and Isaac Clark from Dead Space have been announced as the next pair of DLC characters available: (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/27/new-ps-all-stars-zeus-isaac-medievil-the-unfinished-swan-level/)

Zeus:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8515/8513458211_39a79336c7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-TzgO_wDJ7Y

Isaac Clark:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8387/8513458335_14ffa41d08.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cTGi0zo4-9I

Unfortunately, there's no "free for two weeks" deal anymore. Instead, you can get them both of them for free by buying God of War: Ascension. They're both available Tuesday, March 19.

Also, a new DLC stage is also being released: Graveyard, which combines the Medievil Graveyard with The Unfinished Swan.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8241/8512132022_e6195cd449_n.jpg

CimminyCricket
03-01-2013, 02:17 AM
So wait, this game is out already? xD

Depression Moon
03-01-2013, 09:21 PM
You can tell interest in this game is low when it's essentially mainly one guy talking about it.

Personally? Sony was just trying to cash-cow off of SSBB and the like. I only know roughly two or three of the characters. I mean come-on, Sony has never been one to have a real "mascot" character. The closest mascots I can think of anyway are Spyro and Crash, and their not even in the damn game.

The title? PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is just one long-winded name, with no real purpose behind it. It's not as catchy as Super Smash. I also see a distinct lack of female characters there. You have the Fat Princess, Nariko, and.. oh wait. That's it. If you don't include DLC. 2/20? I'm no feminist, but even so? If you then include sort of "cute" characters like Toro and Sack Boy even, that's up to 4. I just find it all very meh.

That's my opinion on the game. 'Meh'.

Isn't Kat from the gravity game also in there. Edit: nvm. I played the game for a lil bit at school and I can't say much since it was my first time and didn't have any real time to learn the game properly.