PDA

View Full Version : Other RPG Series

Laddy
12-12-2011, 06:15 AM
Some people, myself included, feel the last few Final Fantasy games have been a little weak. So, with that said, what is currently the definitive RPG series?

I would say Persona. The setting is fun, the music and voice acting is excellent, and the plot and dialogue is very well-written, thought-provoking, and easy to relate to. That, and the battle system kicks serious ass.

Skyblade
12-12-2011, 07:01 AM
"Current" would be nice, but we're still waiting for Persona 5, and they've barely hinted at it. It is so frustrating!

While plenty of people can have fun debating its status as an RPG, I'm going to stick Mass Effect up there too.

Fynn
12-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Not really a series, but Xenoblade Chronicles is the closest I've played to a perfect RPG. Incredible story, pacing and characters, beautiful music, very nice graphics and a huge scope - the world is immense and the amount of side-quests is staggering. Also, thanks to the way you influence the townsfolk and their relations, the world really feels like a living, breathing place. Not to mention the exciting battles... I'm so glad you guys are finally getting it! :D

cloud_doll
12-12-2011, 04:11 PM
The Elder Scrolls! Better than RPGs.
No idk. I don't even play new games because they're just bad. But Skyrim is seriously rocking my world.

VeloZer0
12-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Depends if you are talking about RPGs or JRPGs. For JRPGs I have no idea, I don't think I am alone in the thought that the genre has hit some hard times. For RPGs in general it is Elder Scrolls all the way. I don't particularly like such games, but I can't deny it's prominence.

Jessweeee♪
12-12-2011, 06:40 PM
The last few Final Fantasy titles happen to be my favorite in the series! But Persona really is great.

"Current" would be nice, but we're still waiting for Persona 5, and they've barely hinted at it. It is so frustrating!

While plenty of people can have fun debating its status as an RPG, I'm going to stick Mass Effect up there too.

Mass Effect is amazing! I also really like Dragon Age, but not quite as much.

chionos
12-12-2011, 07:08 PM
D&D, which will never fail because it depends on the quality of its players and I am quite amazing, if I do say so myself.

Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls are the obvious traditional answers.

ljkkjlcm9
12-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Demons/dark souls is pretty awesome
Valkyria chronicles is great

Traditional jrpg games are few and far between, and even fewer are series. Dragon quest is still big, but the next will be partially mmo

THE JACKEL

Bolivar
12-13-2011, 06:47 AM
I can't say "definitive" but I would nominate the Valkyria Chronicles series as a new entry into the pantheon of classic RPG franchises. The first and second game were just so good and the gameplay is very fresh and somewhat deep.

It's hard to pinpoint something like this because there isn't anything as good as Final Fantasy that releases on the fast schedule that FFVII-X did. I would say Dragon Quest is still great, but they don't release them that often. The RPG classic has moved to handhelds and it seems more like smaller studios putting out one offs like Radiant History and some series who would fill the void left by Final Fantasy.