PDA

View Full Version : Spirits of Choice?

GhandiOwnsYou
12-16-2011, 08:56 AM
As I sit here, having done nothing today, with nothing to do tomorrow, sleepless and hip deep into a bottle of rum, I find myself wondering about all you lovely EoFF'ers. If you imbibe, what is your preferred spirit? Has it shifted over the course of time? I myself started drinking young and dumb with cheap Rum and Vodka, but over the years I've found myself mellowing and preferring good sipping whiskey (when I can afford it anyway.)

Edit: I suppose my title is a bit misleading. I guess "stupifying drink of choice" would be more accurate than spirit. I don't mean to exclude those that prefer something other than a 750ml of 80 proof.

Shlup
12-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Only out of the category of "spirits," eh? I suppose I'll go with vodka then. I went to a comedy show tonight and had a nice Melon Drop, which is two shots of vodka, two shots of Midori, and a squirt of Sprite.

chionos
12-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Whoops, edit, I didn't read the OP very well. Straight spirits it's Rum, then. I used to drink Vodka almost exclusively, but I've developed a rather rabid taste for rum.

I'm not a drunk, but I like alcohol a lot. My top few drinks are: Midori Sours (I do my own version, but only when I can get away with drinking a "sissy drink"), rum & coke (prefer Capt. Morgan's), apple pie (a moonshine concoction, E. KY represent yo), and just about anything with vodka. I also drink a lot of wine, basically on a nightly basis. I'm trying to expand my horizons and become a connoisseur, but there are some wines that I just can't get myself to enjoy. Like Pinot Noir...I've tried ~20 different Pinot Noirs from the cheap stuff to a really old bottle that my uncle had, and it all tastes horrible. I tend to enjoy whites a lot more.
I also like vodka martinis. Especially flavored martinis, like a delicious blueberry martini that I drank at a bar playing pool after many hours of beer once I was brave enough to order it in front of my friends who only drink beer and whisky because they're "manly men".
I guess I would be an alcoholic, in all honesty, if I didn't have such amazing willpower.

NorthernChaosGod
12-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Scotch. :monster:

GhandiOwnsYou
12-16-2011, 09:49 AM
E. KY represent yo

Man, you live in the land of Woodford Reserve and you're calling it at Rum? The shame...

It's been a while since I've been a real Rum fiend. Used to be my poison, but living out in Tennetucky has inspired me to get into bourbon something fierce. Bacardi's new stuff, Oakheart, is kind of luring me back in to the rum though. If you like the Captain, you oughta give that a shot. I've recently started trying Kraken rum too. It doesn't play around, but it's pretty good.

Old Manus
12-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Real celtic men from the valleys don't drink spirits. Real ale only.

Parker
12-16-2011, 10:49 AM
im from one of the crappy welsh valleys and we only drink the smartprice stuff

70p for 4 cans of lager, we're laughing, boyo

Seriously tho, I like all spirits. Right now I am terribly broke and depressed and drinking the nasty stuff, but usually a nice, quality whiskey in the evening is wonderful. I also love Sailor Jerry's rum. I even like brandy, which no one under 60 likes.

Old Manus
12-16-2011, 02:09 PM

we're laughing, boyo

boyoShameless English dog posing as valleys man detected

fire_of_avalon
12-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Whiskey. I like whiskey.

Pike
12-16-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm fond of Casper the Friendly Ghost.

Somebody had to make the inevitable terrible joke, okay?

Parker
12-16-2011, 04:04 PM

we're laughing, boyo

i was going to say "butt" or "spar" but I thought it would be too Newport for you :(

Pheesh
12-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Tequila, no contest.

Or if I don't feel like getting absolutely blind then I'll drink gin.

Iceglow
12-16-2011, 06:19 PM
To get blind drunk? Simple: Jaeger Bombs or else Tequila Slammers.

To drink socially? Jack Daniels and Coke, SoCo and Lemonade, Gin and Cranberry, Apple and Vodka, Disaronno and Coke, Malibu and Coke.... they're generally on level setting

To sit down and drink straight and not get blind drunk? Jack Daniels or SoCo.

Peegee
12-16-2011, 06:30 PM
oh god

I guess Tequilla is my choice. The other drinks make me cry in pain.

One time we got birthday boy completely trashed on iced vodka. He was passed out on our table and the bartender kicked us out. Afterward we video taped him vomitting on the side of the CBC building while laughing at him, then hit on every single female from there to the subway station.

"Okay there's you. enjoy the flight of stairs I'll see you on monday"

then we left him there and continued to drink. Alas at the first bar (a very nice jazz club) one of us let slip that we had been drinking lots previously so we got cut-off. And the rest of the bars were fail.

No more drunken good times :(

chionos
12-16-2011, 06:42 PM
I drink whiskey, I've just never acclimated to the taste. I'm sensitive enough to the qualities of alcohol to understand why other people enjoy it, I just can't get myself to. Now I'll drink jack&coke all night, but to sit back and just suck down some whiskey...only when I'm trying to look particularly rough and badass. My friend, who's rather crafty, has set up a still. I got a small taste, 'bout a shot's worth, last week that set me on my ass. I'll see him tonight and supposedly he'll have more.

Clo
12-16-2011, 09:45 PM
I am incredibly not picky. I think the romance whiskey and I have shared is timeless, though some weekends I have fun with bottles of wine, beer, scotch and champagne.

drotato
12-17-2011, 02:33 AM
I'm such a wussy... I hardly ever EVER drink.

And when I do, I have to drink girly drinks. Like, light wine or smirnoff. I'm a light weight. ; ~;

chionos
12-17-2011, 06:45 PM
I drink heavily, but I smurfing love smirnoff light, esp. triple black, watermelon, and green apple.

GhandiOwnsYou
12-17-2011, 06:50 PM
I can't hang with flavored vodka. That stuff kills me the next morning, even just a touch of it.

Mirage
12-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Absinthe

drotato
12-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Absinthe

O. O

Never in a million years. xD

NorthernChaosGod
12-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Absinthe
You! Where do I get good Absinthe?

Parker
12-17-2011, 10:56 PM
You're not cool if you drink absinthe without the sugar spoon etc

Crop
12-18-2011, 01:58 AM

we're laughing, boyo

i was going to say "butt" or "spar" but I thought it would be too Newport for you :(

Spar? Never heard that one before.
I actually called a taxi driver "butt" the other day...he said it to me first and I just couldn't help myself.

I don't really drink spirits. I guess Scotch if I had to choose, but I'm more of a beers and lager kind of guy. Although I do enjoy a nice glass of port once and a while.

NeoCracker
12-18-2011, 02:05 AM
Whiskey. I like whiskey.

This. A personal favorite being Gentlemen Jack Daniels. :love:

Mirage
12-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Absinthe

O. O

Why not? Just stop at one shot if you're a lightweight. That's not gonna be worse than two-three beers or so.

You're not cool if you drink absinthe without the sugar spoon etc
Guess i'm not super cool then. I just like the taste a lot.

Parker
12-18-2011, 12:52 PM
It tastes delicious and I am sure you're cool. I just like the ritual, its neat

Mo-Nercy
12-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Whiskey. Johnnie Black and up.

drotato
12-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Absinthe

O. O

Why not? Just stop at one shot if you're a lightweight. That's not gonna be worse than two-three beers or so.

No, I just have to drink stuff that is mostly not alcohol because I HATE the taste of it. It makes me want to throw up. And Absinthe is pretty much all alcohol. I would splatter everywhere.

NorthernChaosGod
12-18-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm not sure what Absinthe you're talking about, since it comes in as low as 90 proof. That's normal for a good spirit.

chionos
12-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Hey moron, take the hint and shut up. She's trying to tell you that she gets drunk easily.

gah, this guy

NorthernChaosGod
12-18-2011, 11:35 PM
She's also saying she blows chunks when she imbibes liquor. :colbert:

Rye
12-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Whisky? That's the clear stuff.... right? :shobon:

To be serious, I'm a big fan of vodka mixed with lemonade. Rum is good on its own, but mixed, I only really like it with milky type of drinks, like coquito. Gin is nice.

chionos
12-19-2011, 12:06 AM
She's also saying she blows chunks when she imbibes liquor. :colbert:

That's just what girls say to imply they can't control what comes in or out of their mouth, and we already knew they can't control what comes out.

NorthernChaosGod
12-19-2011, 12:16 AM
I think you just want to turn me into a date rapist.

chionos
12-19-2011, 12:23 AM

That's like saying I want to turn a woman into a soul-crushing nag. The potential's always there, lurking. I'm just providing opportunities.

NorthernChaosGod
12-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Fuck your couch.

chionos
12-19-2011, 01:11 AM
Vodka+lemonade can be really yummy. Depends on the lemonade though. The last time I tried it, I don't remember what brand lemonade I used, but it was terrible.

drotato
12-19-2011, 02:37 AM

Turn you?

But I thought you were already a....

... Nevermind.

NorthernChaosGod
12-19-2011, 12:09 PM
You all can choke on a bag of dicks.

Rye
12-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Vodka+lemonade can be really yummy. Depends on the lemonade though. The last time I tried it, I don't remember what brand lemonade I used, but it was terrible.

Best cocktails I had were Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka mixed with lemonade, making the most delicious alcoholic half and half ever.

chionos
12-19-2011, 04:25 PM
I've had firefly (and it's delicious, I'm a tea drinker) but I've never thought to add lemonade. That sounds awesome, thanks.

NorthernChaosGod
12-19-2011, 10:17 PM
In my spirit I rather to make some writings about graphics design company (http://www.pixeltown.co/)...
Yeah, but can you get drunk off that?

chionos
12-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Did you just reply to the spambot?

Clo
12-19-2011, 11:02 PM

http://i.imgur.com/ZgPfs.jpg

chionos
12-19-2011, 11:39 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h171/chionos/eoff/NCGscaryponydeath.png

NorthernChaosGod
12-20-2011, 02:09 AM
I love my new beard.

Did you just reply to the spambot?
Yes.

eestlinc
12-20-2011, 02:26 AM
Whiskey. I like whiskey.

qft, although I like gin and vodka too.

Raistlin
12-20-2011, 03:24 AM
Vodka is my favorite. I will drink vodka tonics like water.

I do also love relaxing with some beer.

fire_of_avalon
12-20-2011, 03:56 AM
NCG! What did you end up drinking last night?

NorthernChaosGod
12-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Scotch and Coke mostly. :cool:

Jiro
12-22-2011, 02:32 AM
Whiskey. I like whiskey.

We will drink whiskey then.