PDA

View Full Version : One Hit Wonders

Pheesh
12-18-2011, 01:14 AM
The other day I bought a PSP 3000 specifically because Kingdom Hearts BBS is only available on it. In the end I'm glad I did because it was cheap and I also grabbed a copy of Dissidia 012 and there's some other games on the console I'd like to play, but the point is that if that one game wasn't available for the PSP then I never would have bought it.

Have any of you guys done something similar to this? Has there been a game that you wanted to play so badly that you bought a console specifically to be able to play it?

Del Murder
12-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Yes, Final Fantasy X.

NorthernChaosGod
12-18-2011, 01:18 AM
Well I am considering getting a Wii purely for Skyward Sword.

Sylvie
12-18-2011, 01:20 AM
Yes, Final Fantasy X.

VeloZer0
12-18-2011, 01:21 AM
I bought my PS3 just to play Final Fantasy Tactics. Yes, you heard that right.

I had a mod chip added to my PS2, but as a side affect it rendered it unable to read CD's. I bought on of the old hardware emulation PS3 models just so I could play a PS1 game.

Other than that I would never buy a console just for one game, but the threshold of games I need to own one is rather low. I only buy 5-10 games for most consoles I have.

Bolivar
12-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Got a GameCube for the GBA player to play my Advance remakes of FFIV & FFI&II on. I've never bought a game for it, although i have checked out Twin Snakes and played a good deal of Mega Man Collection on it.

Nintendo DS I was indifferent to until I saw the poster for FFIII - Coming Soon in GameStop. At that moment I realized I was going to buy a DS, and waited until the DS Lite/NSMB launch.

PSP I waited even longer to jump into until Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker was announced. Like the DS Lite, bought it when a new model came out in anticipation of the game.

As far as those two systems, I've gotten a lot of other titles but it was definitely those two that made me get it. Might just be a timing thing, since most consoles release a couple things I want for them eventually. PS3 was a timing thing as well, I got it in anticipation of GTA IV and MGS4 at the end of 2007/beginning of 2008.

Mo-Nercy
12-18-2011, 02:06 PM
I got a PSP just for Crisis Core. I shelled out for the Final Fantasy VII 10th Anniversary silver one with the Sephiroth, Zack and Cloud artwork on the back. I got some use of it after CC. Patapon, Dissidia and Tekken all got a good run, though the thing's been collecting dust now for some time (the battery cover's also broken so a piece of yellowing sticky tape is holding it in place).

Depression Moon
12-18-2011, 04:20 PM
When I bought my PS3 the main game I wanted it for was FFXIII....

Damn.

Slothy
12-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Honestly, I don't think so. I can't think of a single console I bought just to play a single game, though games like MGS2, FFVII, Mario 64, etc. all made strong cases to buy a console on their own.

Skyblade
12-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Got a GameCube for the GBA player to play my Advance remakes of FFIV & FFI&II on. I've never bought a game for it, although i have checked out Twin Snakes and played a good deal of Mega Man Collection on it.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Metroid Prime. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. All very solid GameCube games.

Going to get a Vita just for Persona 4 Portable, myself.

sharkythesharkdogg
12-26-2011, 08:06 PM
I want a Wii just for the virtual console library.

I wound up with a ton of games, but the main reason I bought a PS1 when I did was for FFVII.

Jiro
12-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Got a gamecube for Fire Emblem. Got a wii primarily for Fire Emblem. i like fire emblem bro. Considered getting a psp but theres a few games i would get. like fftactics and starocean and bof and shit. phil sell me your psp. i know you have one now

CimminyCricket
12-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Yes, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness and Disgaea 3.

Pike
12-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Way back in the day I bought a Playstation specifically for FF7

Jessweeee♪
12-28-2011, 05:46 PM
The moment Dissidia was announced was the moment I decided I had to have a PSP someday. I also decided I had to have a PS3 when Versus was announced, but before I could get one I got introduced to some pretty sweet then-exclusive Xbox titles, and FFXIII was announced for 360, so I never did get one. I do want to play Heavy Rain though, and Journey and Versus XIII are looking to be interesting titles.

black orb
12-28-2011, 10:25 PM
>>> I got the PSP just to play Dissidia..:luca:

About the other consoles, I just got them to play new games..

Rostum
12-29-2011, 02:19 AM
I ended up getting the PS2+FFX bundle, luckily the PS2 ended up having one of the best game libraries.

Levian
12-29-2011, 04:31 AM
I almost bought a PSP in order to play Medievil Resurrection, but luckily I didn't. I don't think I would've bought any other games. I still want to play Medievil though. :|

I bought a GBA in order to play Four Swords. I already had a DS, which you can play GBA games, but with four swords you needed an actual GBA because of the cable. Never used it since.

Other than that I've bought several games for my other consoles.

Pheesh
12-29-2011, 05:21 AM
phil sell me your psp. i know you have one now

Come visit and you can play it as much as you want ;D

Pike
12-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Come visit and you can play it as much as you want ;D

Someone is going to tape this, right?

Sylvie
12-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I'll fucking get in on that and duct tape something...

Mirage
12-29-2011, 04:03 PM
I bought my gamecube mainly in order to play MGS1 with fancy graphics, cause i couldn't stand the PS1 graphics. I eventually got a few other games for it too, and the console was pretty cheap.

Pike
12-29-2011, 04:29 PM
I bought my gamecube mainly in order to play MGS1 with fancy graphics, cause i couldn't stand the PS1 graphics. I eventually got a few other games for it too, and the console was pretty cheap.

Yeah, this too.

Slothy
12-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Way back in the day I bought a Playstation specifically for FF7

FFVII was the single biggest reason I was convinced to buy a PSX after I played it.

Then I got one for my birthday and bought RE2 first.