PDA

View Full Version : Let's have a Pokémon tournament! OK?

Fynn
12-19-2011, 04:15 PM
As Christmas and the winter break are drawing ever nearer, I started to think it might be a nice idea to use some of our spare time to put our copies of Pokemon Black/White and have a nice, friendly tournament :D All Pokemon, aside from legendaries, are allowed, regardless of Generation. So I figured we could use this thread for friendcodes and tournament matchups. If there are not enough people interested, we can still use friend codes for casual duels.
I was thinking we could submit codes till the end of the week and start the battles on the second day of Christmas. I'll submit about Wednesday or Thursday, once I get home.
Sorry if something like this exists. I hope this thread gets popular enough for this tournament to take place and I look forward to meet all those interested in battle.
And Merry Christmas to all! :D

Here's a list of Pokemon banned in this tournament:
-Articuno
-Zapdos
-Moltres
-Mewtwo
-Mew
-Raikou
-Entei
-Suicune
-Lugia
-Ho-Oh
-Celebi
-Regice
-Registeel
-Regirock
-Latias
-Latios
-Groudon
-Kyogre
-Rayquaza
-Jirachi
-Deoxys
-Azelf
-Mesprit
-Uxie
-Dialgia
-Palkia
-Giratina
-Cresselia
-Darkrai
-Phione
-Manaphy
-Heatran
-Regigigas
-Shaymin
-Arceus
-Victini :cry:
-Kobalion
-Terrakion
-Virizion
-Keldeo
-Tornadus
-Thundurus
-Landorus
-Reshiram
-Zekrom
-Kyurem
-Meloetta
-Genesect
-also, any hacked Pokemon (which is kinda obvious, but still - it's about good old-fashioned fair play, so please respect this point!)

Ultima Shadow
12-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Ah, finally a new opportunity to show off my hardcore IV + EV trained team. I'm interested. I'll go find out my FC later though, since I don't have my DS lying around at the moment. :greenie:

Fynn
12-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Great! :D Didn't expect feedback this fast. I'm no that competitive a battler myself, so I'll probably be no match for the EV/IV enthusiasts, but that's ok, since it's about the fun and interaction, so even if you're just a casual gamer, don't be shy and let us all enjoy the (hopefully) upcoming tournament :D

Slothy
12-19-2011, 05:13 PM
I was actually thinking just yesterday and into this morning that it'd be fun to host some gaming tournaments around here. Sadly I don't have either of these games so I won't be participating.

Hollycat
12-19-2011, 05:27 PM
I would participate in this however I recently learned the core of my team, my umbreon, is a glitch pokemon and I am not allowed to use it online because its stats rival a mewtwos.

Fynn
12-19-2011, 05:52 PM
I would participate in this however I recently learned the core of my team, my umbreon, is a glitch pokemon and I am not allowed to use it online because its stats rival a mewtwos.

But there's still plenty of time, so you can still reorganize your team. It would be nice to have you with us :)
By the way, how DID you get that Umbreon? Glitch in your game? GTS problem?

Hollycat
12-19-2011, 06:00 PM
No, it was a viral egg traded to me by a friend caused by both of its parents being hatched while using the walk through walls cheat and overlapping EV's. My umbreon has a 406 speed and a 500 special attack, making it more like arceus than umbreon.
however, it only had 215 health. weird huh?
my next strongest are in the 70's and 80's, I gave away all my high leveled ones. My deoxys is cool though.

Fynn
12-19-2011, 06:32 PM
, I also have barely anyone in their 70's, so feel free to join anyway.

Hollycat
12-19-2011, 06:43 PM
ok
My policy is that when someone declares a tourney such as this, I must start a new party from under level 50's it will be ready in a week. my black is at my college, so I have to go get it.

can we also bar heatran from the tourney, it is pretty much the strongest non legendary.

Fynn
12-19-2011, 07:31 PM
ok
My policy is that when someone declares a tourney such as this, I must start a new party from under level 50's it will be ready in a week. my black is at my college, so I have to go get it.

can we also bar heatran from the tourney, it is pretty much the strongest non legendary.

I always considered it a legendary... Am I stupid? Feeling like such a newb! And I'm the one organizing this damn tournament, damn it! :love:

Alright, here's a list of banned Pokemon (I'll update the original post with it as well) in order to clarify anything that may be unclear.

-Articuno
-Zapdos
-Moltres
-Mewtwo
-Mew
-Raikou
-Entei
-Suicune
-Lugia
-Ho-Oh
-Celebi
-Regice
-Registeel
-Regirock
-Latias
-Latios
-Groudon
-Kyogre
-Rayquaza
-Jirachi
-Deoxys
-Azelf
-Mesprit
-Uxie
-Dialgia
-Palkia
-Giratina
-Cresselia
-Darkrai
-Phione
-Manaphy
-Heatran
-Regigigas
-Shaymin
-Arceus
-Victini :cry:
-Kobalion
-Terrakion
-Virizion
-Keldeo
-Tornadus
-Thundurus
-Landorus
-Reshiram
-Zekrom
-Kyurem
-Meloetta
-Genesect
-also, any hacked Pokemon (which is kinda obvious, but still - it's about good old fashion fair play, so please respect this point!)
Also, if you think some other Pokemon should be banned for whatever reason, feel free to share your views. It will be considered and discussed, and if the people decide it should be banned, it probably will be :D

Hollycat
12-19-2011, 07:42 PM
phione is not a legendary and is in fact weaker than pichu

and you forgot kelbi

there a few pokemon such as hydregion that have base stats higher than some legendaries. should these be removed?
the only such pokemon from gen 5 is hydregion.

other pokemon with base stats of 600 or higher that are not legendary are:
heatran at 680- which is only 40 lower than arceus and mewtwo
hydregion at 600- the same as Mew
dragonite, my least favorite pokemon at 600
Tyranitar at 600
Ban shedinja because some people cant kill it
slaking at 670!!!!!!!! (however, it can only move every other turn)
metagross at 600
salamence at 600
garchomp has 600
if you allow these pokemon you should consider allowing the folling legendaries with the same stats:
(mew has been excluded because it can learn anything, and victini because it has unique moves with over 100 power) All the following have 600 unless stated otherwise
cresselia - aminor psychic legendary
shaymin - a real legendary
manapy- a real legendary
cobalion- minor, has under 600 stats (580)
terraklion and virizion and thunderus and tornadus and uxie and mesprit and azelf and regice and registeel and regirock and suicune and raiku and entei and articuno and zapdos and moltres- see cobalion
landorus- may want to keep banned because it is immune to elec and ground
darkrai- real legendary
jirachi- real legendary
latios and latias- minor legendaries

I will answer any questions regarding stats or odds you may have

manp

Fynn
12-19-2011, 07:56 PM

there a few pokemon such as hydregion that have base stats higher than some legendaries. should these be removed?

I banned Phione just for the sake of formality, basically, since however weak it may be, it is a legendary..

I have no objections to banning Hydreigon, but we'll have to see what the other contestants have to say about that.

Hollycat
12-19-2011, 08:12 PM

I banned Phione just for the sake of formality, basically, since however weak it may be, it is a legendary..

I have no objections to banning Hydreigon, but we'll have to see what the other contestants have to say about that.
according to game freak it is not a legendary.

edit: i edited my last post

Del Murder
12-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Hydreigon is my only good Pokemon in Black. :(

The only Pokemon game I ever owned was Yellow. The rest I all played on roms. I'm guessing that means I can't participate.

My Yellow team was godly though:

Snorlax
Lapras
Gengar
Alakazam
Jolteon
Rhydon/Venusaur (depending who I'm playing)

I think they were all level 100.

Fynn
12-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Well, I don't know if banning all the pseudo-legendaries will be well received, but we'll see what the others think. As for Slaking, I think he's nerfed enough with his, ekhm, "ability" to be left intact. We'll see what the other participants think, though, and pick who to ban. Thanks for all the info, though :D You're a big help here.

Hollycat
12-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Any time!
Incidentally for 3 days a "special" slackoth was released in the dream world before it was removed, this slackoth for some reason did not have the slack off ability when fully evolved, instead having inner focus. Not likely to be a problem, just interesting

NorthernChaosGod
12-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Why not just ban uber tier pokemon?
Uber (B/W) - Smogon University (http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/uber)

I wish I could participate, but I don't even have a DS at all. :(

Ultima Shadow
12-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Any time!
Incidentally for 3 days a "special" slackoth was released in the dream world before it was removed, this slackoth for some reason did not have the slack off ability when fully evolved, instead having inner focus. Not likely to be a problem, just interesting
Wow, now THAT is broken. Luckily, I doubt anyone here got his/her hands on that if it was so limited. :p

Any time!
Agreed. Going by the "no Uber" rules is the best way to have balanced and fair matches.

Though I have no objection against banning Heatran, since that one is a special case and you can usually only get one... and while being one of the most powerful OU pokemons. If someone got a Heatran with an ideal nature and good EV/IV, it can be quite hard to match in a casual tournament.

But I'm totally against banning Hydreigon. While its base stats are very high, it's not a broken pokemon since the stats are so spread. It has a good attack AND special attack, but neither is "incredibly high", meaning you still can't reach a broken attack stat value. For example: if Hydreigon had - 50 attack and + 50 special attack, it would have been way too powerful, while still having the same total value of base stats. But right now, it can only reach a "good amount" in either Special or Normal attack. Its speed is also less than that of many potential threats, plus the weakness to fighting ( vacuum wave ) means there are some reliable ways to deal with it ( Lucario is a perfect counter to switch in on a Dragon move ).

The reason Garchomp was put in Uber, unlike Hydreigon, was because its stats were better focused on Attack + Speed, combined with Outrage and a pretty dangerous ability... PLUS good defensive stats... which made it a sweeper that nothing could stand up against and had no reliable counter at all.

Fynn
12-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Alright! I agree. Since this is a casual tournament (if it turns out to be a tournament, which it still isn't, since there's only three participants), instead of banning legendaries, let's ban ubers. As for Hydreigon, I'm pretty neutral on the matter, but we'll have to see how the other contestants (if there are any ;) ) feel about this.

I have another nooby question, though, since it's been a while since I've played Pokemon online and have yet to do so with Black/White. Do the battle utilize the wonder launcher, like in Wireless Battles? Do all Pokemon get levelled up/down to the same level, or does everyone retain their levels?

Hollycat
12-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Alright! I agree. Since this is a casual tournament (if it turns out to be a tournament, which it still isn't, since there's only three participants), instead of banning legendaries, let's ban ubers. As for Hydreigon, I'm pretty neutral on the matter, but we'll have to see how the other contestants (if there are any ;) ) feel about this.

I have another nooby question, though, since it's been a while since I've played Pokemon online and have yet to do so with Black/White. Do the battle utilize the wonder launcher, like in Wireless Battles? Do all Pokemon get levelled up/down to the same level, or does everyone retain their levels?

wonder launcher only if both people agree, and no, no leveling