PDA

View Full Version : The Semi-Annual "Laddy Is Actually An Old Man" Thread

Laddy
12-20-2011, 04:48 AM
I like 90's CRPG's. Let me state that again: I LOVE 90's CRPG's. I grew up with Might & Magic, Fallout, Ultima, The Elder Scrolls, Wizardry, The Bard's Tale, Baldur's Gate, etc. So, with that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions for any RPG's that in any way have a CRPG feel to them? I'm non a big fan of roguelikes or hack n' slashers, and I'm not necessarily looking for Fable or The Witcher. (Though games like them are okay.)

So, with that in mind, any suggestions? :O Pike should know. Piiiiiiike?

Loony BoB
12-20-2011, 09:30 AM
For me, Excelsior was a game that, if remade, has the potential to be (in my humble opinion) an epic masterpiece. But for now, if you're happy with a 2D game, it is well worth your time and even now I'm thinking I should have another playthrough of it soon...

http://excelsior-rpg.com/ex1.htm
http://excelsior-rpg.com/ex2.htm (admittedly I've not played Excelsior II before)

Rantz
12-20-2011, 09:46 AM
You could try Dragon Age!

Pike
12-20-2011, 01:36 PM

HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAAAAY

Tossing some names out for you here which may or may not be what you're looking for; I'm not as experienced with this genre as I'd like to be:

Arcanum
Planescape: Torment
Neverwinter Nights (and KotoR if you like that)
Vampire: The Masquerade games

If you're looking for something newer then Skyrim is a lot of fun, although it's more actiony than what you may be looking for.

Madame Adequate
12-20-2011, 05:27 PM
VtMB is absurdly good, and a lot more RPGy than the first person perspective suggests. Everyone should play it. Don't play Malkavian on your first time through, save it for your second.

Gothic is supposed to be rather good too.

Laddy
12-20-2011, 06:32 PM

HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAAAAY

Tossing some names out for you here which may or may not be what you're looking for; I'm not as experienced with this genre as I'd like to be:

Arcanum
Planescape: Torment
Neverwinter Nights (and KotoR if you like that)
Vampire: The Masquerade games

If you're looking for something newer then Skyrim is a lot of fun, although it's more actiony than what you may be looking for.Thanks, Pike! But I beaten all of those games, including both KOTORS and both Masquerade games. :( (Toreadors ftw!)

And I did play Gothic 1, 2, and 3. Is 4 any good?

Madame Adequate
12-20-2011, 07:30 PM
The Monster Mash: Geneforge Saga | Rock, Paper, Shotgun (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/20/the-monster-mash-geneforge-saga/)

mite b cool

Laddy
12-22-2011, 02:45 AM
I've got a few games I wanna play, but I need your advice!

Which should I play?

Anchoronax
Arx Fatalis
Lionheart
Return to Krondor
Septerra Core

Pike
12-22-2011, 01:12 PM
I haven't heard of any of those! You are out-hardcore-ing me, Laddy! D:

Laddy
12-23-2011, 12:18 AM
I've heard good things about them, and I actually played Return to Krondor for a bit when I was ten, but I don't remember it well.

Arx Fatalis was originally designed to be Ultima Underworld 3, but it was developed into an independent RPG taking place in a world underground after an Ice Age covers it. I liked the idea, so I'm leaning towards that.