PDA

View Full Version : What are the safest Internet Browsers to update to?

MJN SEIFER
12-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Need to update my browser to stay on Deviantart. May have to stick with an Internet Explorer for now so I don't lose anything.

chionos
12-21-2011, 07:54 PM
By losing things do you mean your saved passwords and bookmarks and all that? If so you can transfer most of that kind of thing to another browser like Firefox which is what I've used for a while now. There's Opera that's not bad, and I haven't used it but Google Chrome's out there now. The biggest problem with fox is they tend to put out updates that break most of your plugins, but that's easily remedied. All-in-all though, it's safe. Much safer than Explorer certainly. One of the newer browsers is supposed to be the safest of them all, but I don't remember which one it is. It may be Google Chrome, which is also supposed to be stupid-fast too.

Jiro
12-25-2011, 01:09 AM
I use Firefox purely for the adblocking plugin, but Chrome is also pretty good. Basically anything except IE and you're golden.

Raistlin
12-25-2011, 02:15 AM
Basically anything except IE and you're golden.

Pretty much. Firefox is my personal preference.

Baloki
12-25-2011, 09:15 AM

Pretty much. Firefox is my personal preference.

I'm sorry but that's crock nowadays, as long as you are on the most up to date version of your browser (IE9, Chrome Release Channel, Firefox 8, Opera 12) you should be reasonably secure, the main issue you will ever suffer from is security vulnerabilities via plugins (such as Flash which has a new zero-day bug once a week at the minute) and downloading "security" software that is malware (oh and phising scams). So just be careful, make sure everythings up to date, if you go for a plugin based browser then an ad-blocking plugin is always good (as suggested by others). I'd also recommend installing something like privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org/) which will do further ad-blocking.

Jiro
12-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Listen to Baloki, he knows what he's doing. HE DOES THIS STUFF TO LIVE.

Rostum
12-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Ah I remember the good old Netscape Navigator back in 1996. The browser that I first learnt how to look up pictures of naked chicks.