PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Girlfriend help!

Cloud88
12-22-2011, 03:01 AM
Hi you lot! I haven't been on this in a while, been very busy, but then I came upon a dilemma that only YOU would be able to solve for me. So here it is.

I've decided to introduce my girlfriend to Final Fantasy. Now, the difficult decision comes. Which Fantasy do I introduce her to? Because this could go either really well, or really badly.

I need a game with a brilliant story, emotional attachments aplenty, decent graphics and easy to grasp gameplay to keep her interested. (The likes of FF12 is too complicated, and she would lose interest sharpish.)

So for this reason, I have narrowed my decision to three games, Final Fantasy VIII, IX and X.

Now, VIII is in there because of it's love story between Squall and Rinoa, and also because of the battle mechanics. The battles are easy to play, and there is also the ability to summon GF, which she would like, as it's kind of a funky Pokemon spin. (She loves Pokemon by the way). The disadvantages of this game is the Junctioning system. It can be far too complicated, and personally, I only drew magic to junction, never to use it. But, the game has an awesome musical score. Eyes on Me anyone?

IX has a much more simplistic approach to learning abilites. Equip an item, leave it on for a while, and bam, you learn the ability. The characters are goofy, but serious at the same time, and Zidane and Garnet's love story is one of the more touching of the series' imo. While Garnet and Eiko have eidolons, you really won't be able to summon one till the second disk, so no Pokemon till then. IX is also one of my personal favourites, so that's another reason I'm looking at it. Again, a fantastic musical score.

Now X. One of the best games in the series, easily. Ability learning system is straightforward enough, but with enough versatility to promote free choice. Battle gameplay is straightforward, and also there is no time limit on your choice of move. X also has the best Pokemon system, with the player able to summon Aeons and control their every move. The only drawback is the laughing scene, (cringe), and possibly Tidus/Yuna's voice. But the addition of actual speech could form better emotional bonds. And again, a kick-ass musical score.

So, I'm kinda stuck here. So if you guys could help me out here, that'd great. Final Fantasy VIII, IX or X. I can't decide, so I'm leaving it to you. Thanks for any and all help!

P.S. Sorry about the big long essay guys. I didn't mean to read your eyes off.

Laddy
12-22-2011, 03:07 AM
I'd suggest IX. It's charming and pleasant but also poignant and arguably the best written of the series. That, and it has an excellent mix of complexity and simplicity. Easy to learn, but deep enough to keep you entertained.

Quindiana Jones
12-22-2011, 03:33 AM
IX. Without a doubt. Keep it on the Wait battle system, and she should get the hang of it easy enough. IX has the most charm out of those three, so is definitely the best choice for introducing someone to the series.

Then make her play I and laugh at her failures.

Jessweeee♪
12-22-2011, 03:35 AM
Statistically speaking, FFX is the most FF newb friendly and female friendly. Also FFX is awesome and the best ever. And fuck you and everyone else who says the laughing scene sucks; it is the best scene ever.

Quindiana Jones
12-22-2011, 03:40 AM
You're the best scene ever!

I mean, you suck!

fire_of_avalon
12-22-2011, 04:54 AM
Wrong on all accounts. She needs to play FFIV first. Love story. Handheld game. Set in medieval atmosphere with a touch of steampunk. Magic, knights, damsels.

It's basically a fairy tale in video game form. Easy to play.

FFIV. FFIV. Are you listening? FFIV.

chionos
12-22-2011, 04:58 AM
FFIX.

It's cute but doesn't overplay the cuteness. It has not one but two romances, one being the typical protagonist+beautiful princess thing, but the other being the much less cliched burgeoning love/hate relationship of Steiner and Beatrix. It has one of the better endings of the FF series, with a smurfing wedding to top things off.
Plus there's Vivi, who is one of the better characters that FF has given us. His story is also emotionally driven and even produced one of the more emotionally charged scenes out of all the FF. The battle mechanics are relatively simple, there's a lot of extra stuff to do if she's into that kind of thing (chocobo hot&cold ftw!), and the music of FFIX is just as smurfing good as FFX, if a bit more laid back. and the kicker, you wanna know what the kicker is? How many protagonists has FF given us with an awesome smurfing monkey tail!?

FFIX then once she's hooked throw FFX at her.

EDIT: FoA my darling, if he were throwing open all of FF, then FFIV would surely be overshadowed by the perfection that is FFVI. More knights, more damsels, way more magic, more steam-punk, and a mothersmurfing sex scene. The only sex scene in all of FF. And it's not just any sex scene, it's a bestiality sex scene. Sexoring summons!? Are you crazy!? No, I'm not crazy, it's just FFVI, the best game ever made. There's also 2 transvestites (shadow and gogo), and a love interest who dies not once but twice! (take that Aeris!). So yeah, if cloud hadn't listed 3 very specific games he wanted us to help him choose from, we would be doing him and his lady friend a terrible disservice to not suggest FFVI.

Sylvie
12-22-2011, 05:04 AM
Final Fantasy IX or X will do. If she's easy on the graphics, throw VI at her. I wouldn't suggest VIII because the Junction system will probably confuse the shit out of her, as well as the tedious processes of drawing magic and refining items and all that jazz.

Wolf Kanno
12-22-2011, 05:13 AM
IX would be my choice, but then again, I've only been able to get my own GF to play FFX and X-2, as well as a third of FFVI. Then again, I got her hooked on Metal Gear Solid...take with that what you will.

I would also echo foa's sentiments, about FFIV, especially if you use the DS version, the story is more "friendly" to modern gamers and the difficulty curb could make sure you get some quality time together playing.

VeloZer0
12-22-2011, 06:02 AM
Going for a PSX title could be hit or miss. I know we are all used to and idolize these games, but I think it might be a big shock for someone in this day in age to pick up and play with those old school grainy 3D models. We all still love these games and that speaks to itself, but I can see it being a potentially large hurdle to overcome.

If that isn't a problem FF7-10 would all be great choices. FF4 would be a great into, simple yet compelling. The DS version would be great, but the difficulty curve is a little extreme for someone you are trying to woo into the series. FF10 is a good choice for all the reasons listed, though the 100% turn based my be a turn off to some.

In all honesty I think that the medium you are playing on will have a bigger impact than the game itself. Judge whether SNES/PSX/PS2/DS would be a better gaming experience for her, then move on from there.

McLovin'
12-22-2011, 06:20 AM
FF8 because on first play she'll think the GF's are freaking awesome and use them all the time and never complain. It has an interesting introduction. FF9 is great but she might think that all Final Fantasy's are so "child-like" in the gameplay/graphics. At least 8 has a very mature, futuristic feel to it.

Sylvie
12-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Actually Final Fantasy III might be a better option. I'm suggesting NES, but I have no idea about the DS.

Levian
12-22-2011, 06:31 AM
I'm kind of in the same situation with a love interest. He's only been through FFX (just watched) and FFXIII

I'm thinking FFIX, purely because it's the newest FF game with somewhat of a multiplayer function. FFIV, FFV and FFVI are awesome. I know that, and you know that. But they're too heavy to start with for someone who's not used to that graphic and haven't played the middle generation games like we have. If they like FFX, FFIX, FFVIII and FFVII, then definitely get them started on the SNES generation, they'll probably like them too then!

NorthernChaosGod
12-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Anyone who said anything other than FFVI is wrong. :colbert:

Cloud88
12-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

So, in the lead is IX, with X coming second and VIII trailing somewhere in the dust. I would try to get her interested in VI or IV, but the graphics would turn her off i think, plus VIII, IX and X are more colourful. Now I know, colours aren't the main demographic from a game-playing point of view, but for a girl who changed the colour of her bedroom walls from tan to a shade of tan so similar that I thought a cloud had just passed in front of the sun, colours are important. :p

Ultima Shadow
12-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Are you going to play the game together, or will she be playing it completely by herself?

If the first, I would actually suggest FFVIII personally. It's easy to get into and is very newbie-friendly as soon as you actually do get the hang of the Junctioning system. The only problem though, is the complexity of the Junction system at first. But if she gets some additional help in learning it, I think FFVIII can be a great choice. Most of the FF-playing girls I know (who aren't hardcore gamers/been gaming for many years) has prefered FFVIII over many others in the series.

If not that, though, I'd absolutely say FFIX.

FFIX Choco Boy
12-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Definitely IX. Course, you don't even need to ask me. Just lookit my name. But I would say X would be a close second, and VIII would be a bad choice. The junctioning system is very complicated, drawing magic sucks, the story is so jacked up, and it doesn't have any real sort of Final Fantasy feel to it, other than Shiva and Ifrit. If she started with VIII then went to another one, it would feel like a huge genre jump, instead of going from IX, X, or VII. So, yeah, IX for sure, and play multiplayer. Have her be player 1 so she can explore what she wants, and then have you control the healer and Steiner so the battles aren't too difficult for her.

Jessweeee♪
12-22-2011, 09:01 PM
FFVIII was my first FF and no I didn't really get the hang of the Junction system at first. I relied on GF spamming and got stuck at the missile base before the Playstation was smashed under a TV. But it drew me into the series!

Miriel
12-22-2011, 09:39 PM
No love for VII? I think that's a great intro game although X is pretty newbie friendly too. FFVIII was balls and I hated it, but I knew a lot of girls who were hardcore into that game when it first came out. So I suppose it does appeal to the female demographic.

Meh, just start with VI and have her work her way forward.

Cloud88
12-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Are you going to play the game together, or will she be playing it completely by herself?

The plan is that I'd be playing it with her, so I'd be able to show her the ropes as needed.

I would start with 7, but it seems a much more hardcore game than VIII, IX or X, and I don't want to instantly suggest to her that THIS GAME WILL EAT UP DAYS OF YOUR LIFE!! You know?

These three games have always been up as my three favourite FFs of all time, and I've never been able to choose a favourite, so it's difficult for me to choose one.

AHH! The choices!

Edit: Miriel, I've never heard of VIII hatred being described in such a succinct way. Straight, and to the point. :p

Flying Arrow
12-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Is you girlfriend a big gamer at all? If she doesn't have experience with RPGs, I'd... steer her away from FF8. That game is absolutely not newbie-friendly unless you have working knowledge of RPG stats and how they work in the game. Plus, you'll be reverse-introducing her to the series by sticking her with the most black-sheep entry mechanics-wise. How is 7 more hardcore than 8? If I were picking an introduction game from the two, I'd say 7 is a lot more newbie-friendly. It's basically just a souped-up SNES game. Even if you're playing with her with 8 you'll have to stop her every time she opens her menu and outright lecture her on how that shit works.

Of your choices, I'd go with either IX or X depending on her tolerance for older graphics and freedom. If she can find her way around an RPG and doesn't mind PS1 models and camera angles, I'd go with IX since she'll be able to handle all the locations and tons of people to talk to. If she's completely new to games, go for X because it's pretty hard to get lost in that one.

Cloud88
12-22-2011, 10:11 PM
She's not a very big gamer at all, but she plays Pokemon and Sims like a religion. So she has some experience with games.

Just in my head, VII seems to require more effort than VIII, IX or X. It did and still does for me. VIII, IX and X just seem easier to play imo. Maybe VIII isn't a great idea. At least she wouldn't have the chance to roll her eyes when she discovers the link between most of the gang. :p

Goldenboko
12-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Go with X.

Reasons:
1. Pretty boy hero. Chicks dig pretty boys.
2. Easy to get battle system. Seriously, no crazy explaining necessary
3. Love story
4. Love story
5. The laughing scene. If you can sit through that unbearable moment with your girlfriend, you should probably go ahead and get married.
6. Sphere Grid: If your girlfriend can't figure it out, you'll know to dump her. It's more of a weeding out device really.

Rostum
12-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Definitely IX would be my first choice. I got my girlfriend, who is a non-gamer, to play it and she really loved it. She had no trouble with the battle system either, though I had to help her with some things as she didn't want to level-grind.

If not that, then I'd suggest X. It seems to be a lot easier to get in to for people new to the series, at least from what I've read of people's accounts.

I disagree with what you're saying with VII. It's definitely the easiest game of the PS1-era series.

Miriel
12-23-2011, 12:21 AM
I absolutely don't think that FFVII is more hardcore than VIII, IX or X. I found the materia system to be incredibly straight forward and easy to learn.

As a girl who loves Pokemon and Sims, I vote VII!

IX has the cuteness factor, but my god are the battles sloooow.

Flying Arrow
12-23-2011, 12:24 AM
I disagree with what you're saying with VII. It's definitely the easiest game of the PS1-era series.

I'd agree with this, it's much more straightforward than VIII (which is probably the easiest of the games if you know exactly what you're doing) and much easier than IX to not die (which is probably a result of IX having so much control over your party make-up and being able to balance the game as appropriately as possible).

Aside from the graphical step-down from VIII and IX, I'd say there's no reason to exclude VII.

But to give you my definitive answer based on your SO playing Pokemon, etc: Go with IX.

FFIX Choco Boy
12-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Go with X.

Reasons:
1. Pretty boy hero. Chicks dig pretty boys.
2. Easy to get battle system. Seriously, no crazy explaining necessary
3. Love story
4. Love story
5. The laughing scene. If you can sit through that unbearable moment with your girlfriend, you should probably go ahead and get married.
6. Sphere Grid: If your girlfriend can't figure it out, you'll know to dump her. It's more of a weeding out device really.

Wow Boko. Just wow. Although, on a side note, I have three female cousins who played X, and between the 3 of them they couldn't figure out the Sphere Grid. I had to explain it like 3 times, and then the next time I went over to their house, they had screwed it up again. I told them to just go back to Kingdom Hearts. >.>

Sylvie
12-24-2011, 01:35 AM
I'd disagree. For a first-timer, IX would be my choice as the easiest. FFVII gave me some trouble as a beginner (without a walkthrough, most new players wouldn't think to use the Manipulate skill on the Beach Plugs to get one the game-breaking E. Skill.)

Shiny
12-24-2011, 02:23 AM
Hmm...I would say FFVII, but the storyline might be kinda hardcore for someone just playing the game and they may get turned off by the polygon ass graphics. When I began the FF series I was in Toys R Us and was eyeing FFVIII and FFIX. I went with FFIX first, because gothic slightly bondage Squall (on the cover) didn't seem like it was appropriate for a ten year old. Incidentally I was right. Game was highly inappropriate at the time. FFX is also kinda inappropriate at times.

But she's older than I was so I'd say go for FFX because quite frankly it's the most straight forward battle system though I think starting her off with a talking one will make her less thrilled when she tries out most of the other games in the series since most of them do not have voice acting.

VeloZer0
12-24-2011, 04:29 AM
Another option would be to give her a quick* rundown of each with a screenshot or two and let her pick. She might be more invested in the whole process that way.

*quick in the sense of a non fan, not quick in the sense of people like us who talk about FF games all day.

Raistlin
12-24-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm with Miriel; my first thought was FFVII. The materia system is extremely simple to understand and utilize, the characters are quickly endearing, there are fun side games to do, and nothing about the game is particularly difficult. There's a reason that a lot of people started playing with VII.

IX would have been my second choice.

Madame Adequate
12-24-2011, 11:17 PM
X. Or VII.

IX is only liked by people who want to look like they've loved the series since before it was cool so they latch onto the supposed nostalgia it presents without realizing how obviously hipster they seem to people who actually have good taste

:shobon:

FFIX Choco Boy
12-25-2011, 12:28 AM
MILF, one word. Chocobo Hot and Cold. That is all.

Flying Arrow
12-25-2011, 01:07 AM
X. Or VII.

IX is only liked by people who want to look like they've loved the series since before it was cool so they latch onto the supposed nostalgia it presents without realizing how obviously hipster they seem to people who actually have good taste

:shobon:

Dayum.

Laddy
12-25-2011, 01:34 AM
X. Or VII.

:shobon:):<

Madame Adequate
12-25-2011, 03:58 AM
MILF, one word. Chocobo Hot and Cold. That is all.

One of the three redeeming features of this game.

(The others are Beatrix and Doctor Tot)

(Freya would be, but she gets no characterization, just like damn near everyone)

Skyblade
12-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Honestly, you shouldn't start with an FF.

Chrono Trigger. It is a beautiful starting point. You get everything with it. Visually, it is wonderful, featuring both a central unified aesthetic, without sacrificing the unique or varied styles that each era share.

The cast of characters is diverse, memorable, and extremely well written, and there is a love story thrown in. The plot is gripping, moving, and well paced, along with plenty of avenues of side exploration.

The gameplay is fantastic. Easy to pick up and learn, and yet it offers the combo skill system, which, while never necessary or a central focus, still works wonders as an introduction to more complicated battle systems and thoughts of team balance and combinations.

Really, everything about the game is fantastic, even for beginners, it is not considered one of the best games (if not the best game) of all time for nothing. And, lest we forget, it had a recent release on the DS and can lead into the rest of the FF series so naturally that the only reason it doesn't share the FF title is because it doesn't want its style cramped.

Pike
12-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Start with Super Mario RPG.

I'm serious.

It was pretty much built for Square newbies.

Necronopticous
12-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Final Fantasy X is my go-to game for introduction to the series. It hasn't failed me yet.

chionos
12-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Start with Super Mario RPG.

I'm serious.

It was pretty much built for Square newbies.

Hell, I got ya one better. Why not Mystic Quest? Might as well.

black orb
12-26-2011, 04:25 AM
>>> 9 or 10, both are good games..:luca: