PDA

View Full Version : PS2 vs PSP

Gamblet
12-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Which one is better?

VeloZer0
12-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Seeing as they have two completely different functions it isn't really possible to compare. PSP wins in terms of portability, PS2 wins in terms of I/O functions. As for library I think it is about even for me, though I think for most people it slides heavily into the PS2's favor.

In terms of absolute power the PS2 wins hands down, the only reason that the PSP can port a lot of PS2 games is it uses a smaller screen and much lower resolution.

Gamblet
12-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Seeing as they have two completely different functions it isn't really possible to compare. PSP wins in terms of portability, PS2 wins in terms of I/O functions. As for library I think it is about even for me, though I think for most people it slides heavily into the PS2's favor.

In terms of absolute power the PS2 wins hands down, the only reason that the PSP can port a lot of PS2 games is it uses a smaller screen and much lower resolution.

I think I'll get the PS2, because of the game selection. What about the laser's lifetime?

Wolf Kanno
12-25-2011, 08:47 AM
As long as you are buying the "newer" slim models, you should be okay. It's first generation Sony systems that tend to have hiccups. My first PS2's laser stopped working a few years (like 3 years) after I got it, my PS3's PS1/2 reader doesn't work properly, and I haven't had much issues with my PSP since its the new slim model, but the first generation models were notorious for pixel screen deaths...

Yeah, go with the PS2. I do like my PSP but considering the majority of games I've bought for it are ports and remakes of games I own on console, I can't recommend it's library when compared to the PS2 which has quite possibly the most well rounded and solid library for a console.

Slothy
12-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Everything Wolf said. Honestly, as much as I love my PSP, it's tough to recommend it over the console with easily the greatest overall game library ever.

Gamblet
12-25-2011, 04:04 PM
As long as you are buying the "newer" slim models, you should be okay. It's first generation Sony systems that tend to have hiccups. My first PS2's laser stopped working a few years (like 3 years) after I got it, my PS3's PS1/2 reader doesn't work properly, and I haven't had much issues with my PSP since its the new slim model, but the first generation models were notorious for pixel screen deaths...

Yeah, go with the PS2. I do like my PSP but considering the majority of games I've bought for it are ports and remakes of games I own on console, I can't recommend it's library when compared to the PS2 which has quite possibly the most well rounded and solid library for a console.

Good information, my PS1's laser is still alive after 8 years. :D

Mirage
12-25-2011, 05:50 PM
PS2 is a bit more powerful, has more games, can be hooked up to a big screen, etc. I want a PSP for some of the games, but I'd much prefer that these games were instead ported to PS2. Or rather, ported to PS3 and made available on PSN.

Quindiana Jones
12-26-2011, 12:04 AM
The PS2 because the PSP is a massive turd with sticks. My PS2 Platinum has yet to hiccough at all, and I've had since the mesozoic.

chionos
12-26-2011, 12:43 AM
Why choose when you can have a PS2P, the best of both worlds!
PlayStation 2 portable - Hack a Day (http://hackaday.com/2010/06/22/playstation-2-portable/)

Jessweeee♪
12-26-2011, 05:44 PM
I have spent most of my gaming life on the PS2. But the PSP has portable PSP and PS1 games, so really it's a tie for me.

Gamblet
12-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Why choose when you can have a PS2P, the best of both worlds!
PlayStation 2 portable - Hack a Day (http://hackaday.com/2010/06/22/playstation-2-portable/)

That looks strange.

Del Murder
12-27-2011, 08:04 PM
PS2 was my only game system for about 6 years. It served me well. The fact that it played PS1 games was ace. I'd say PS2 is second only to SNES in terms of greatest game systems of all time (but without the backwards compatiability it would be more like number 5).

Bolivar
12-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Hmmm... if this thread is about which one to get I would go with PS2. So many cheap games to get, so many overprinted classics and and even longer list of "just fun" games... I don't know if I would consider PS2 better than original PlayStation, but with RPGs like DQVIII and FFXII along with action games like Shinobi and then incredible licensed games like The Godfather and From Russia With Love... like Wolf said, it's well-rounded, there's something for everybody, and a lot of it. Just go to the GameStop bins and you'll probably find a treasure trove of ridiculously cheap games.

But if we were talking about who has the better library... that's tough. I've only had the PSP for 2 years but I see it like this. There's a lot of awesome PS1 classics on the PlayStation Store that you can download and play on PSP that are probably very hard to find in real life and would cost you an arm and a leg even if you did. Then we have some exclusive remakes like Tactics Ogre that are just some of the best games of all time, better than they were originally, and you can't get them on PS2. And then when it comes to cross-platform PlayStation franchises, the PSP arguably has the better Valkyria Chronicles, God of War, and Twisted Metal. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is pretty awesome as well, and it's the only co-op Metal Gear.

If you've never owned a PS2, I would go with that one. But if you've seen and played a lot of the games you would like on that system, then I would go with a PSP for something a little different/extra.

DMKA
12-27-2011, 11:03 PM

Good god you kids need to take better care of your toys. My PS2 is an original fat model and still works like the day I got it. Hell, my original grey 4 AA battery Gameboy still works like the day I got it.

The PS2 wins by default because of it's awesome library. It's pretty unfair to compare the two though, as they're so radically different.

Wolf Kanno
12-27-2011, 11:20 PM
My Original Gameboy and NES works fine (though the old TV cable hook up wire finally bit the dust) I've never had issues with a Nintendo product breaking on me. Sony is a different story as I've averaged two controllers per generation except for the PS3 so far and while my original PS1 is working fine, I've had to go through three PS2's cause the laser keeps dying, and my PS3 no longer reads PS1/2 games anymore. Sony doesn't build systems for hard playing.

Granted, they are not the flimsiest systems I've played on, I may have a serious soft spot for the Sega Saturn but good god does that system have issues if you so much as breathe hard on it. :D

rubina123
12-29-2011, 06:25 AM
Hi,

About Chosen psp and ps2;I think ps2p is best for everyone.Selection of ps2p-I tell u the real fact.And the fact is that ps2p best in PlayStation 2 portablee - Hack a Day..................

TrollHunter
12-29-2011, 06:41 AM
I still love my ps2 to death, my favorite game library of all time no doubt about it. It has plenty of every genre and it's nearly as durable as a gamecube, which as we all know is near impossible to break.

Bolivar
12-30-2011, 01:41 AM
I have to say I've had problems with every first PlayStation I've bought. My original PS1 and 2 both got reader problems after a while and my PS3 recently got the Yellow Light of Death. However, this was the first time I repaired the system instead of buying a new one. I haven't had any serious problems with my PSPGo, but there have been incidents while listening to music (and once in-game) where the system spontaneously shut down.

I'm a dedicated PlayStation fan, but I have to agree with Wolf's sentiment that they're not made for hard playing.