PDA

View Full Version : Help me, nerds!

Crop
12-26-2011, 01:45 AM
I'm currently enjoying my playthrough of FFXII...a hell of a lot (how did I NOT like this game when I first got it). But I'm eventually going to finish it, and in the past year have played through my entire FF collection.

Now to the help I need, I've currently acquired a bit of spare gil and spare time and am looking to delve into the FF games I do not own and have never played. What would you recommend? I do not have access to any of the handheld consoles and could only buy PS1, 2, and 3 (Ha) games. Eventually I hope to get them all, but was wondering where to start.

The ones I own: VII, VIII, X, X-2, XII, XIII. I have played none of the others.

I'm tempted at the moment with either Tactics or the FFI and II bundle for the PS1. Give me your knowledge!

Raistlin
12-26-2011, 02:06 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite FF. Great story, great characters, and a very engaging, strategy-oriented battle system. Also a terrible, terrible translation, though it's redone in the PSP version. If you can put up with half the item descriptions not making any sense, it's a great game.

My alternative recommendation would be getting the FF Advance (V + VI) bundle for the PS1. Two good, enjoyable games; FFVI especially is well-regarded.

I can't comment on the PS1 version of FFI, as I've only played the NES one. But it's a game I would suggest you play at some point, but you could easily emulate the NES version. Though from what I remember hearing, the PS1 version is considered the best remake, so that would also be a good option.

chionos
12-26-2011, 04:19 AM
Raistlin pretty much nailed it. I hope he will forgive me for adding just a bit to what he already recommended by suggesting FFIX also. I think it has somewhat of a unique vibe to it compared to many of the later (post FFVII) games. It's got, in its own unique way, the old knight/castle/princess adventure feeling that FF dropped as it got older.

Keep in mind, though the stories are not directly related, FFT is set in the same world as FFXII (which you seem to be thoroughly enjoying now) so it might be cool to jump into that right away. It's interesting to see (and hear) the similarities while at the same time recognizing how different they are.

Del Murder
12-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Tactics is a great game, but different than the other FFs. If you want to play a FF game that is more like the others, you can go with FFIX. Either of those would be a superb choice. I would not go with FFI or FFII yet unless you really like oldschool games.

Depression Moon
12-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Have to play IX. One of the best.

VeloZer0
12-27-2011, 06:43 AM
FFT is not only my favorite game of the series, but my favorite game of all time. That said FF9 will offer you a much closer experience to FF7 & 8 which you have already played. Take a quick peek at a gameplay video for FFT and see if that turns you off or not.

Flying Arrow
12-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Depending on what you're enjoying about XII, I think you might really dig FFV. You can easily pick it up off PSN now for under $10. There are other versions you can get too, like the the SNES fan-translation from way back (a good one) or the FFV Advance version for GBA which includes an extra couple of dungeons and jobs and a stronger translation than the PS1 port (this is probably the best version of the game).

Also, depending on how much you liked your time with VII and VIII, I'd say give VI and IX a spin too. Again, they are easily had on PSN for $10 a pop.

Jiro
12-27-2011, 03:16 PM
VI and IX are musts because they're the best. no shit

I Don't Need A Name
12-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Jiro is messiah, heed his words.

Bolivar
12-27-2011, 10:51 PM
I guess I could sign off on the PS1 Origins (I & II) bundle. They look and run really great in the new style and I heard there's a hard mode, which it certainly needed judging by the GBA port.

I also recommend FFV for PS1, so you can grab that on your PS3 from the PlayStation Store. Don't bother with FFVI on there, the load times are atrocious.

Unless you want to play a translated ROM of an NES game, you'll eventually need a Nintendo DS for FFIII.

FFIV I like on the GBA more than PlayStation or Super Nintendo and although I haven't seen it in person, the DS remake is something I just want to stay away from.

Final Fantasy Tactics is an incredible game. I would recommend the PSOne Classic over the PSP remake but either way, you have a very special gaming experience waiting for you.

But, like the others in this thread, I would go with FFIX right now. It's $10. Download.

Rostum
12-28-2011, 06:01 AM
The FFIV remake for the DS was really well done. If you can find a cheap DS Lite, then you could get FFIII, FFIV, FFXII Reverent Wings, Four Heroes of Light (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ZTY9XZ4q4).

However, if you can't find a cheap DS Lite then just go for FFIX. I really love that game.

chionos
12-28-2011, 07:49 AM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h171/chionos/cropgames.jpg

drotato
12-29-2011, 03:39 AM
Final Fantasy nine.

Play it. Own it. It's amazing, and definitely my favorite. :3

Slothy
12-29-2011, 10:41 AM
I agree with Chionos, and not just because he used a pie chart to explain his point. Though that certainly didn't hurt his case.

VeloZer0
12-29-2011, 06:21 PM
I believe that statistical model was based on the premise that everyone's opinion should be held in equal standing.

Benjirino~!
12-30-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm currently enjoying my playthrough of FFXII...a hell of a lot (how did I NOT like this game when I first got it).
Rhetorical question, but the answer for me was that it doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy, at least not early on. It's actually a great game, but the general feel of the game, tactics, and actual interesting story doesn't begin until Balthier and Fran enter the plot. The first 10 hours are basically one stretched out tutorial. After that, it's beautiful landscapes, character development, and tactical employment of the gambit system ahoy!

Flying Arrow
12-30-2011, 11:16 PM
^ Yeah, it was slow going for me for the first bit of the game. It's not until I got the full party and the freedom to set out on my own that the whole game finally clicked for me. It took a bit, which is my only real criticism, but when XII clicks it clicks really hard.

Fynn
01-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Don't play FFIX yet! You need to have played the previous ones to seriously appreciate it. My girlfriend made that mistake. She jumped into it right after VII and VIII and was very disappointed - it's the nostalgia and shout outs, deconstructions and reconstructions of previous FF tropes that make this game incredible!

Crop
01-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Thanks chaps, it's narrowed it down to 2. I think I'll give IX a miss for now because, as Flynn said, I hear they have a lot of throwbacks and I don't want to miss any.
I'd say it's a toss up between Tactics and VI. I'll probably flip a coin in the end when I buy next week.

Del Murder
01-05-2012, 08:24 PM
lol

If you play FFVI you will know why I am laughing at that. ;)

VeloZer0
01-05-2012, 08:31 PM
lol

If you play FFVI you will know why I am laughing at that. ;)
That played out so well that I am almost considering changing my recommendation from FFT to FF6.

Fynn
01-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Shh! Don't spoil it ;)

Anyway, yeah, go with VI. As much as I love Tactics, it may be too far of a detachment from the other FFs. It is similar in spirit to XII, but much darker. The story is wide and complex, and the battle system is just overwhelming at times. Of course, all of these factors are what make this game incredible, so if that's your thing, you might as well go with it. However, I would recommend VI simply because its a bigger classic, IMO, and a bigger must-play. It's not as ambitious as Tactics, sure, but it makes up for it with its wit and just plain awesomeness.

Also, I don't know what your faith is, but I believe the very thing that the two above EoFFers noted about your post is a sign.

Bolivar
01-05-2012, 10:12 PM
I would go with VI as well. You can play it, experience it, love it, and move on. Tactics is kind of an undertaking in itself. But when you're ready, you can really lose yourself in it.

Crop
01-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Well now I pretty much have to get VI.

black orb
01-10-2012, 10:00 PM
>>> Here is a nerd solution for you:
Get a Nes and a GBA emulator and play FF1 FF2 FF3 FF4 FF5 FF6 games for free..:luca: