PDA

View Full Version : I want to host a competition

Slothy
12-27-2011, 09:08 PM
I've had an idea rattling around in my brain for a few weeks. I like to play competitive games whenever I can, and I wanted to do something which would allow us all to kick the crap out of each other in one way or another on a monthly or bi-monthly basis.

We've had the somewhat regular gaming challenges going on which are cool, this would be something with a bit less of a meetup requirement because as much fun as that is it limits how many people can really participate.

The idea would be to pick a game every month or two months, preferably one which is free or easily emulated (or at the very least readily available and very cheap) so the most number of people can participate. Anyone who wants to can then participate in getting the highest score, getting the farthest, fastest completion time, or whatever else the victory condition is that month. Perhaps if we get any online multiplayer games in there we can have more of a structured tournament throughout the length of the competition where people can compete head to head.

Each month the people in first place down to fifth would get points going from 5 to 1, with the winner being the person with the highest overall score at the end of the year.

I've got some preliminary ideas for games with the intent being to have as much variety as possible over the length of the competition (some are more likely than others obviously based on price/availability).

Quake Live
Team Fortress 2
Starcraft
Civilization 4
street fighter 2
Mortal Kombat 2
Touhou
R-Type
Mario Bros.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Resident Evil 2?

Obviously I'm open to suggestions. I've also included a poll to gauge interest. I think it would be nice to get a regular event going on here in the general gaming section so give me all of the criticism you want.

Hollycat
12-27-2011, 09:12 PM
freelancer. see you all in the Texas system.

btw, bring backup. you will need it.

Psychotic
12-27-2011, 09:21 PM
If only my PC wasn't so terrible I'd join in :( It is a good idea.

Although, Resident Evil 2? I HAVE THAT! I can totally do that!

Slothy
12-27-2011, 09:30 PM
If only my PC wasn't so terrible I'd join in :( It is a good idea.

How terrible? Because ideally I don't want to have anything too recent so everyone can run it. So likely 16-bit era or earlier console games and older pc titles with low requirements. Anything beyond that would require a vote to see how many people can play them. The only reason I even included Starcraft in my initial suggestions was because it runs on my netbook.

Hollycat
12-27-2011, 09:31 PM
freelancer has lower requirements.

NorthernChaosGod
12-27-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm in the same boat as Paul. I'm totally down as long as it won't run at a snail's pace on my computer.

Slothy
12-28-2011, 01:28 PM
So what are people's thoughts on the first game? I was thinking the ever popular Super Mario Bros. since it's nice and light on system requirements and can be emulated by pretty much anything. I was thinking the winning condition should be either highest score or farthest level reached without warp zones. Highest score is probably easier to verify through screen shots and such and a bit of a non-standard goal in Mario.

If not that then assuming there are enough people with access to it we could make Psychotic happy and do some RE2 speed runs.

starlet
12-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Are PSN games viable suggestions? Because I have 2; Swarm and Fat Princess.

Swarm trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc6kIgDIO64)

Fat Princess trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFtfQ1tjr3I)

Old Manus
12-28-2011, 02:27 PM
AoE2. And if anyone doesn't own that game yet, they aren't worth playing any game against (in my opinion they should also be summarily banned but whatever).

Psychotic
12-28-2011, 02:34 PM
I bought my PC in 2004 and it was the cheapest you could get then. Yeah. That bad. I upgraded the RAM mind you but everything else is pathetic.

Slothy
12-28-2011, 02:34 PM
I'll take any suggestions I can get because I want as much participation as possible. I'm not sure about including recent games like PSN releases though, if only because a lot of people here don't have a PS3/360/Wii. Keeping it to older PC and console games at least gives people the option to buy them cheap or emulate, even if they have a crappy PC. PSX/N64 era is the latest I think I'm comfortable going, and only if enough people have the games since emulating even stuff from that era may be tough for some.

Edit for Psychotic: Wow, yeah that's a bit rough. I'll definitely be keeping that in mind since I'm sure you're not the only one. On the bright side, I think TF2 and Civ 4 are the only games I originally listed that would give you trouble, and I knew they'd be iffy anyway. Though honestly, TF2 probably wouldn't have made it in anyway because I have absolutely no idea how to judge individual competition in a team game.

Pike
12-28-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm in a pretty similar boat as Psychotic. But I'm up for joining in if it happens to be a game that I have access to. I've got some NES/SNES classics on my GBA (Mario 3, Mario World, Yoshi's Island and DKC2 come to mind. I've got some others too). I've also got Sonics 1-3.

Psychotic
12-28-2011, 02:54 PM
I honestly don't mind if you have plenty of high end games in here. I don't want to hold everyone back either. I'd be happy to just take part in the games from 1992 or something!

Slothy
12-28-2011, 03:03 PM
And that is something else that is the benefit of running multiple games throughout the year. Not everyone will be able to participate with all of them because they either can't play the game or don't have the time, but anyone can jump in at any time and its the score next Dec that determines the overall winner.

And after giving it some thought I think I will run this monthly. Not only will it keep the momentum going over having it bi-monthly, I think it might help build interest in the long term if people see it going on all of the time.

DK
12-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Should throw in some random browser based games in there as well, if we can sort out the logistics of people playing against each other. I can remember the hilarity of the yahoo pool tournaments we had back in the day and the rage they inflicted on certain members. Haxball is worth a shout as well, just because it's hilarious.

Slothy
12-28-2011, 03:18 PM
I would like some more browser based games in there. I'm just not familiar enough with what's out there that's actually any good these days aside from Quake Live.

Jiro
12-28-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm down, I suppose.

Slothy
12-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Love the enthusiasm Jiro. :p

Jessweeee♪
12-28-2011, 04:15 PM
I will participate if we go with any Mortal Kombat game.

Mortal Kombat 4 Jax Ending - N64 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DRstXwtUGI)

blackmage_nuke
12-28-2011, 04:39 PM
TF2 is a bad idea because we'll all be bitching about our pings

NorthernChaosGod
12-28-2011, 08:04 PM
I like the idea of a Super Mario Bros. run. Not to sure about an RE2 speed run though.

Ultima Shadow
12-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Quake Live
Team Fortress 2
Starcraft
Civilization 4
street fighter 2
Mortal Kombat 2
Touhou
R-Type
Mario Bros.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Resident Evil 2?

I'm so totally in! I would recommend Touhou 12.3: Hisoutensoku, by the way ( basically the expansion to 10.5 aka Scarlet Weather Rhapsody ). It's one of the official Touhou fighting games, and is probably easier for most people to get into than the shooters. Plus you can actually play this game directly against other players rather than just trying to get the highest scores.

And like the other Touhou games, you really don't need much to play it. I wouldn't be surprised if even Psy could make it work on his computer. *gasp*

So yeah. Totally add Touhou 12.3!!! =D

AoE2. And if anyone doesn't own that game yet, they aren't worth playing any game against (in my opinion they should also be summarily banned but whatever).
Agreed. Well, at least the part about how we totally must add this game. AoE2 is an awesome multiplayer game and should be avaiable to pretty much everyone. :greenie:

Old Manus
12-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Worms!

Madonna
12-28-2011, 09:52 PM
The games which hold the most appeal are ones which require interaction with other people. Whether it is done as teams or in a free-for-all, it is all good to me.

Slothy
12-29-2011, 10:34 AM
January approaches and decisions must be made to satisfy the demon lords.

First month will be Super Mario Bros. I'd love to kick things off with a multiplayer free for all, but working out which one and other logistics in a few days would be a bit difficult. Once we kick this thing off I'll include a poll to determine the next game, which absolutely will be something with multiplayer of some sort or another. The part of me that's been playing through Starcraft again for the last week wants to say FFA on Big Game Hunters, but we'll have to see. Quake Live may be a bit more doable for everyone seeing as it's browser based and free.

I like the idea of the second game being Starcraft though because if we did do it, I think I might try to not only make a video of the game (from the replay of course), but do some commentary as well for posting here. Of course I'd have to start figuring all of that stuff out as soon as I get home since I've never done it before.

Be sure to keep game suggestions coming though, even after things get started. Nothing is set in stone until the competition thread for each month is made.

Laddy
12-30-2011, 02:53 AM
Rock Band, anyone? ;D

Bolivar
01-01-2012, 02:13 AM
I'm not really a speed-run/self-imposed-challenge kinda gamer, so I'd definitely prefer live multiplayer matches so I can grind you all into dust. I think the older Starcraft/Warcraft/Command & Conquer/Age of Empires titles are all good ideas, as well as Team Fortress Classic, Half-Life Deathmatch, or Counter-Strike. I'm sure we could manage older Quake/Doom/Duke Nukem 3D as well.

Ultima Shadow
01-07-2012, 11:40 AM
So, when is this getting started? This month, or next month?

Pike
01-07-2012, 02:43 PM
It's already started! Check out the SMB thread.

Ultima Shadow
01-07-2012, 04:35 PM
It's already started! Check out the SMB thread.
Ooooooooooh! Well, that's what I get for completely ignoring and browsing past all the thread titles that doesn't immediately catch my eye. =O