PDA

View Full Version : Famitsu Makes Me Cry

Forsaken Lover
12-30-2011, 04:39 PM
These Are the Games That Made Famitsu's Readers Cry -- Andriasang.com (http://andriasang.com/comzjr/famitsu_cry/)

Famitsu.com recently asked its readers to name the games that made them cry. Here's the result, in descending order of tear volume.

1. Final Fantasy X (Square Enix, PS2, 7/19/2001)
2. Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix, PSP, 9/13/2007)
3. Okami (Capcom, PS2, 4/20/2006)
4. Clannad (Gung-Ho Works, PS2, 2/23/2006)
5. Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater (Konami, PS2, 11/17/2004)
6. Steins;Gate (5pb., Xbox 360, 10/15/2009)
7. AIR (Incerchannel, Dreamcast, 9/20/2001)
8. Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix, 3DS, 1/31/1997)
8. Mother 3 (Nintendo, GBA, 4/20/2006)
10. Final Fantasy Type-0 (Square Enix, PSP), 10/27/2011)
10. Little Busters! Converted Edition (Prototype, PS2, 12/24/2009)
12. Final Fantasy IX (Square Enix, PS, 7/7/2000)
12. NieR Replicant (Square Enix, PS3, 4/22/2010)
14. 428 (Sega, Wii, 12/4/2008)
16. Tales of the Abyss (Namco Bandai, PS2, 12/15/2005)
16. Metal Gear Solid 4 (Konami, PS3, 6/12/2008)
16. Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix, PS3, 12/17/2009)
16. Tales of Legendia (Namco Bandai, PS2, 8/25/2005)
16. ICO (Sony, PS2, 12/6/2001)
16. Shadow of the Colossus (Sony, PS2, 10/27/2005)

(Note: when the rank is the same, it means the games got the same number of votes. Famitsu.com did not share the actual vote counts or the number of people who voted.)

Now, I can live with the Final Fantasy bias. I did actually cry a little during FFX.

But Metal Gear Solid 4? Really?

Famitsu is a Japanese thing right? So this can all be explained as cultural differences? Because MGS4 only makes me cry at how much I hate it.

VeloZer0
12-30-2011, 05:32 PM
I generally interpret the question as what game makes you want to cry.

Pike
12-30-2011, 05:36 PM
I always feel terrible when I say this, but no video game has ever made me cry because of the story/characters/etc. Not to say the possibility isn't there, of course. I just haven't come across it yet.

I have cried over meta-game things, though. Like my Pokemon file being corrupted.

Madame Adequate
12-30-2011, 06:16 PM
I always feel terrible when I say this, but no video game has ever made me cry because of the story/characters/etc. Not to say the possibility isn't there, of course. I just haven't come across it yet.

I have cried over meta-game things, though. Like my Pokemon file being corrupted.

You didn't cry when Yuna tried to hug Tidus but went right through him? Your heart is made of stone. :colbert: Cold, uncaring stone.

Psychotic
12-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Little Busters! Converted Edition gets me every time. :whimper:

Also... Seto in FFVII. Maybe. :colbert:

Necronopticous
12-30-2011, 07:36 PM
1. Final Fantasy X (Square Enix, PS2, 7/19/2001)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cqYUcRqFCA

Pike
12-31-2011, 02:43 AM

You didn't cry when Yuna tried to hug Tidus but went right through him? Your heart is made of stone. :colbert: Cold, uncaring stone.

I should clarify; I differentiate between "getting misty eyed" and "crying" :monster:

Jessweeee♪
12-31-2011, 04:12 AM
My brother was watching me play when I finished FFX for the first time. He was totally crying, but I was trying very hard not to 'cause it would be super embarrassing to cry in front of Little Bro.

:(

Wolf Kanno
12-31-2011, 06:07 PM

I laughed actually. I thought it was pretty funny personally. :p

Out of that list, I think MGS3 came the closest, it's entire ending sequence and revelations kind of hits you like a load of bricks and the final scene of the game was just so well done.

MGS4 had some intense gut wrenching scenes but nothing that should give you the sniffles, and FF has never moved me to tears at all. I didn't cry when Aerith died, I didn't shed tears of joy for Dagger and Zidane in IX's ending (I was too busy bitching about my fave character being killed off screen), I was seriously hoping XIII's cast would die so nothing there, it's hard to get worked up in Crisis Core ssince you already know how it's going to happen and having them change it from a senseless killing like the original into an over the top battle royal with a cheesey death speech and even cheesier ending theme kind of killed the whole mood for me, Ico's ending was emotional but not tear worthy, same with SotC since you kind of saw it coming to some degree.

black orb
12-31-2011, 07:00 PM
>>> What? There is no way a FF game can make you cry.. They should go and play Valkyrie Profile or a Suikoden game instead.. lol. :luca:

Bolivar
01-01-2012, 03:06 AM
But Metal Gear Solid 4? Really?

Famitsu is a Japanese thing right? So this can all be explained as cultural differences? Because MGS4 only makes me cry at how much I hate it.

I'm not sure what you disliked about MGS4, but it's pretty hard to deny that it was an emotional game.

You didn't cry when Yuna tried to hug Tidus but went right through him? Your heart is made of stone. Cold, uncaring stone.

Co-sign. This is the scene in a game that probably made me tear up the most. Wow I'm so glad I'm on the internet with none of the people who know me in real life to hear this. But yeah the last time I beat FFX, it really happened.

The Rachel/Lock scene in FFVI also made me tear up. Melodies of Life during the credits of FFIX did as well, just because of how beautiful it was. Dragon Quest V had its moments as well, I think sometimes just because of how charming and happy it makes you. I know there's probably been other times, especially in FF, but I can't particularly remember.

Wow I've lost a lot of masculinity points here.

I laughed actually. I thought it was pretty funny personally.

You really are evil, dude.

Oh, and by the way, no one noticed this:

8. Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix, 3DS, 1/31/1997)

CONFIRMED :kakapo:

Edge7
01-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Only time I ever cried was when Cyan's family boarded the phantom train. Every other moment, I've gotten Misty Eyed.

Actually, scratched that, the one point in Mother 3 when Flint learns his wife is dead almost slayed me (with sadness).

chionos
01-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Shadow of the Colossus is the closest I've ever come to actually crying during a game. I'm not really sure why I don't get emotional over games. Movies and music can both make me cry. It's quite interesting really.

DMKA
01-04-2012, 05:32 AM
People who were huge fans of the MGS Solid Snake saga crying at the end of MGS4 makes sense...because it's the closure to something they've followed and loved for years. I know that feeling (though, not with MGS).

I cried at the end of FFX when I first beat it. I cried at the end of FFVIII when I replayed it a few years ago, mainly because of the nostalgia rush it game me.

Raistlin
01-04-2012, 05:50 AM

I didn't actually laugh, but I was gaping in horror at how awful a plot device it was. It would have been funnier had I not played the rest of the game.

I've never cried due to a game, but the first time through FF7 when I was 11 or 12 was the closest... and I didn't even like Aerith.

The only thing cry-worthy in FF13 was how terrible the writing was from Chapter 9 onward.

NeoCracker
01-04-2012, 07:09 AM

I didn't actually laugh, but I was gaping in horror at how awful a plot device it was. It would have been funnier had I not played the rest of the game.

I've never cried due to a game, but the first time through FF7 when I was 11 or 12 was the closest... and I didn't even like Aerith.

The only thing cry-worthy in FF13 was how terrible the writing was from Chapter 9 onward.

I'd already seen the TV add that showed Aerith die, so the scene had pretty much no impact on me. :p

And on that list, Mother 3 had a few really depressing moments, probably the most legitamately depressing game on the list. The end of Xenosaga 3 almost got to me. :cry:

And as for that matter, where is Final Fantasy VI on that list? Shadow dying at the end was a thing of tragedy, a hell of a lot sadder then whiny blond boy going poof.

Bolivar
01-04-2012, 02:10 PM
I'd already seen the TV add that showed Aerith die, so the scene had pretty much no impact on me.

Yo, I saw that a little while back and wondered "why the hell would they do this when it came out?" I had known about the scene from the insane amount of buzz the game generated upon release, it was unavoidable in our lunchtable discussions in school. And I think a guide I read actually kinda spoiled it as well. But for those people who didn't know what FF was and were really just about to jump in, that must have been a bummer.

I wonder how many people actually played it not knowing Aeris was going to die.

NeoCracker
01-04-2012, 02:14 PM
...You did a terrible job editing text out of that quote. :p

Pike
01-04-2012, 02:17 PM
And as for that matter, where is Final Fantasy VI on that list? Shadow dying at the end was a thing of tragedy, a hell of a lot sadder then whiny blond boy going poof.

Opera scene puts tears in my eyes every. Single. Time.

Wolf Kanno
01-04-2012, 10:55 PM
I laughed actually. I thought it was pretty funny personally.

You really are evil, dude.

If only you knew :penciltrick:

Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny and part of me was wishing she accidentally slid off the airship to oblivion as well, would have saved us from X-2.:D

Loony BoB
01-05-2012, 02:43 PM
There should be an animated gif of Yuna trying to hug Tidus with big bold capitalised letters reading: FAILHUG. Well, I don't like those kind of meme things, but that one would make me laugh at least once.

Anyway. I have never cried at anything in a video game but I would say the saddest moment for me in video gaming is definitely Seto.