PDA

View Full Version : IGN's Top Final Fantasy Characters

Forsaken Lover
12-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Ya know..I could have sworn I remember either reading or posting a very similar thread a few years back.

Must be my imagination.

The Best Characters of Final Fantasy - Games Feature at IGN (http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1215142p1.html)

The list is confusing to say the least. At least for me.

Hollycat
12-30-2011, 06:55 PM
They seem to have forgotten that the games made after 6 were still final fantasy.

Gamblet
12-30-2011, 07:12 PM
They seem to have forgotten that the games made after 6 were still final fantasy.

There's second page too.

EDIT: WHAT? No Gilgamesh?

Hollycat
12-30-2011, 07:14 PM
oh. I disagree.

Depression Moon
12-31-2011, 01:17 AM
Too many from IV and VI. I never saw the appeal of Edge neither story or gameplay-wise and speaking of his gameplay they failed to mention how horrible he is at stealing and how low his def is. Looks like everyone loves Vivi which I'm entirely ok with.

TrollHunter
12-31-2011, 01:33 AM
I really didn't like any of their choices on the first page from FFIV, as much as I adore the game I feel that they're very bland characters and are far from the "best".
Also, wheres gilgamesh from FFV? Dudes amazing. Him not being in there is just a disgrace.
It almost seemed as if they were like "Here's a few Final Fantasy games we like and these are a few of the characters" instead of cherry picking them for actual quality. IGN, why must you always suck at everything?

I Don't Need A Name
12-31-2011, 02:52 AM
Some of them are perfectly fine (Kefka, Tellah, Cid, Ultros, Vivi) but were they on crack when writing the others? I can't think how anyone playing though the game found any love for the likes of Celes or Quistis. Both were some of the blandest characters in that game. Light was mostly deadpan and Palom and Porom were pretty annoying..

Shotgunnova
12-31-2011, 04:47 AM
Edge is more notable than Shadow? You so crazy, IGN. The rest of their choices were interesting, at least. Not the biggest FF8 fan, but Laguna definitely stole every scene he was in.

Edge7
12-31-2011, 05:04 AM
As much as I like Edge *points to username*, I gotta agree, he doesn't really fit on a top 20 list. Does no one on this thread like Locke???

Laddy
12-31-2011, 05:44 AM
No Sazh? Look, love it or hate XIII, Sazh was one of the better characters the series has seen. I love IV and VI, but the overkill I disagree with.

Carl the Llama
12-31-2011, 05:58 AM
I stopped believing in critics when they did a show about the top 10 moments in sci fi history and "Luke, I am your Father" was at number 9 and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN-Gr12B5X8&feature=related) at number 4... yes the critics really put that above above the most shocking revelation in the history of sci fi... since then I stopped.

charliepanayi
12-31-2011, 09:13 AM
I stopped believing in critics when they did a show about the top 10 moments in sci fi history and "Luke, I am your Father" was at number 9 and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN-Gr12B5X8&feature=related) at number 4... yes the critics really put that above above the most shocking revelation in the history of sci fi... since then I stopped.

I suspect that was more 'list chosen by internet voters or D-list celebrities'

Carl the Llama
12-31-2011, 01:19 PM

No, it was an actual TV show, and tbh, can you really see us, we "internet people" saying that the countdown is better then "Luke, I am your Father"? I think not, they did however allow the public to vote for it after the show was over, you can tell what was rightfully in number one then.

Edit: apparently this show was from way back in 2004, I found a reference to it by googling, here is what I found: http://www.galacticsenate.com/showthread.php?4941-SCIFI-Top-10-Sci-Fi-Moments&

charliepanayi
12-31-2011, 01:28 PM

No, it was an actual TV show, and tbh, can you really see us, we "internet people" saying that the countdown is better then "Luke, I am your Father"? I think not, they did however allow the public to vote for it after the show was over, you can tell what was rightfully in number one then.

I've seen youtube comments, I can believe the denizens of the internet are capable of anything. This just sounds like one of those cheap shows Channel 4 sticks on from time to time to fill a few hours.

Anyway, this IGN favourite characters thing is a list, they do these things just to invite arguments. It has Vivi in so it's all good. Not sure what Quistis is doing there, mind you.

black orb
12-31-2011, 06:50 PM
>>> No Tidus?, No Garland? Palamecia anyone???..:luca:

Evastio
12-31-2011, 07:21 PM
I really didn't like any of their choices on the first page from FFIV, as much as I adore the game I feel that they're very bland characters and are far from the "best".
I can see where you're coming from with Palom and Porom and Edge (their personality and roles in the story are clear, but they're not as deep as other characters from other FFs). But you can't tell me that Golbez is "bland." His tragic past and guilt-ridden personality, yet his strength and determination to do what's right whether it's defeating Zemus or going back to earth to save the people on it is far from bland and boring, especially considering he's a villain for most of the original FFIV.

TrollHunter
01-01-2012, 12:10 AM
I can see where you're coming from with Palom and Porom and Edge (their personality and roles in the story are clear, but they're not as deep as other characters from other FFs). But you can't tell me that Golbez is "bland." His tragic past and guilt-ridden personality, yet his strength and determination to do what's right whether it's defeating Zemus or going back to earth to save the people on it is far from bland and boring, especially considering he's a villain for most of the original FFIV.

True... I must've forgot about Golbez. (God knows how)
But they also put in characters like Tellah... who was just a generic old guy looking for revenge. I love Tellah, but really... he's a fairly generic character, Edge isn't really generic per se but he's pretty boring really.

Bolivar
01-01-2012, 02:22 AM
Not surprised at the dominance of games that were popular in N. America. I can't say which characters a person should have instead of their own choices, but to me, Minwu, Ricard Highwind, FFIII's Cid, Galuf, X-Death, and certainly Gilgamesh would all be on this list as well.

Gamblet
01-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Not surprised at the dominance of games that were popular in N. America. I can't say which characters a person should have instead of their own choices, but to me, Minwu, Ricard Highwind, FFIII's Cid, Galuf, X-Death, and certainly Gilgamesh would all be on this list as well.

Emperor of Palamecia was pretty badass too. :cool:

Raistlin
01-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Some of the later ones were stretches. One of FFVII's strongest points was its characters, but Tifa hardly deserves to be considered one of the best FF characters.

I would agree that there were too much from IV and VI, but outside of Sazh, they're not exactly missing much from VII and up.

Darylisgogo
01-02-2012, 04:34 AM
i don't like ign's list so i made my own lol. a little more fair giving 2 characters per game. it's kind of a sausagefest of a list i made, unintentional. i was debating on rydia instead of golbez and celes instead of leo. 2 per game is very limiting. but IGN was unfair and obviously biased to iv, vi, and vii so felt i had to create my own list to justify it in my mind lol.

kain
golbez

faris
gilgamesh

kefka
leo

hojo
cid

squall
ellone

vivi
beatrix

auron
jecht

basch
balthier

sazh
cid

I Don't Need A Name
01-03-2012, 06:15 PM
i don't like ign's list so i made my own lol. a little more fair giving 2 characters per game. it's kind of a sausagefest of a list i made, unintentional. i was debating on rydia instead of golbez and celes instead of leo. 2 per game is very limiting. but IGN was unfair and obviously biased to iv, vi, and vii so felt i had to create my own list to justify it in my mind lol.

I actually think your list is pretty solid in giving the more interesting characters the limelight there. Although I'll never understand how anyone could give Celes any limelight.

Elskidor
01-03-2012, 07:36 PM

kain
golbez

faris
gilgamesh

kefka
leo

hojo
cid

squall
ellone

vivi
beatrix

auron
jecht

basch
balthier

sazh
cid

I can live with most of that list if I had to just chose 2 characters from each. I might switch around a character in FF8 for Laguna, and possibly Ash for FFXII.

I Took the Red Pill
01-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Few moments in Final Fantasy history evoke as much feeling as when Porom and Palom sacrifice themselves for the sake of the rest of the party.True, there were feelings. But they weren't feelings of despair and sorrow, they were feelings of "dear sweet jesus thank god these annoying brats are done talking".

Elskidor
01-04-2012, 03:09 AM
Few moments in Final Fantasy history evoke as much feeling as when Porom and Palom sacrifice themselves for the sake of the rest of the party.True, there were feelings. But they weren't feelings of despair and sorrow, they were feelings of "dear sweet jesus thank god these annoying brats are done talking".

Completely disagree. It was a very emotional scene and it played out great, but just like all the rest, except Tellah, the ending ruined it.

Del Murder
01-04-2012, 07:50 PM
I think IGN uses a dartboard to make these lists.

Carl the Llama
01-05-2012, 04:04 AM
I think IGN uses a dartboard to make these lists.

Truer words have never been spoken.