PDA

View Full Version : Walkthroughs not doing the research.

MJN SEIFER
12-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Because I used to read PlayStation Magazines, I ended up with various Walkthroughs, that I read in my spare time, some of them are really well written as I've said before, but some of them have moments that look like they didn't do the research on the game they were guiding us through.

For one guide for Final Fantasy VII (I have lost this book, and want it back - it was a Tips and Tricks style book, it mostly had cheats, but a couple of games had walkthroughs) that got a couple of boss names wrong (I guess they didn't know about the help window?) at the end (just before they talk about the North Crater) they give a rundown of all the things in the game left to do, and simply say that there are some caves and a platau (the Anicent Forrest, I guess.) that are inaccessable, but doesn't say anything about how you get to them. There were probably other things as well, but I still want to read it again, because I liked the style.

One Play Magazine free walkthrough for Resident Evil (the main book was for all possible outcomes of each scenario on Resident Evil 2, which changes depending on who's mission you play first, or something.) The section on RE1, the walkthrough stated that there are two giant snakes in the game, when it's just the same one appearing twice (if it wasn't made obvious by the fact that in the first encounter the snake doesn't die, Capcom have confirmed this fact). Also, the same guide states that one of the STARS members suicides himself, when he doesn't (although to be fair on them, the way that scenes played kind of makes it look like he does).

Do you have have any?

Hollycat
12-30-2011, 06:59 PM
I had a pokemon guide once for pokemon red that said that growlithe evolves into ninetails at level 30.

MJN SEIFER
01-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Strange. I wonder if it was a cut and paste error?

Still trying to think of others - problem is, because I got them from magazines, I have walktrhoughs for games that I don't have.

DMKA
01-02-2012, 09:25 PM
I have a strategy guide for Final Fantasy IX and the entire guide says "WELL YOU CAN GET THIS AND DO THIS" ...but doesn't tell you actually how to do or obtain any of it.

My mom bought it for me for Christmas along with the game back in 2000. No idea where the hell she got it from.

Wolf Kanno
01-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Guides from the 16-bit to PSX generations are pretty notorious for missing things. The official FFVII Guide missed a few items (Cursed Ring and Behemoth Horn) mixed up how to obtain certain materia (Final Attack and Sneak Attack), the FFVI guide for the SNES missed a few items and side quests, Xenogears guide leaves out rare item drops from enemies and doesn't realize that several supposedly unwinnable battles are winnable and net you rare items. Stuff like this are common for RPG guides.

NeoCracker
01-02-2012, 10:45 PM
White Knight Chronicles.

If you've ever tried to use that for the multiplayer maps, you'd cry yourself a salty river at it's complete incompitance.

Me and my friend litterally did the polar opposite of what it said, and it turned out that was the correct way to go about it.

Psychotic
01-02-2012, 10:48 PM
For one guide for Final Fantasy VII (I have lost this book, and want it back - it was a Tips and Tricks style book, it mostly had cheats, but a couple of games had walkthroughs) that got a couple of boss names wrong (I guess they didn't know about the help window?) at the end (just before they talk about the North Crater) they give a rundown of all the things in the game left to do, and simply say that there are some caves and a platau (the Anicent Forrest, I guess.) that are inaccessable, but doesn't say anything about how you get to them. There were probably other things as well, but I still want to read it again, because I liked the style. I think that was the exact same walkthrough I used as a kid. I loved the hell out of that thing, despite how inaccurate it was in hindsight. I remember it calling Carry Armor "Dock Loader" and Motorball was called "Armoured Tank". It also told you how to get Yuffie and Vincent, but next to the Yuffie description was a picture of Aeris.

MJN SEIFER
01-03-2012, 11:59 PM
For one guide for Final Fantasy VII (I have lost this book, and want it back - it was a Tips and Tricks style book, it mostly had cheats, but a couple of games had walkthroughs) that got a couple of boss names wrong (I guess they didn't know about the help window?) at the end (just before they talk about the North Crater) they give a rundown of all the things in the game left to do, and simply say that there are some caves and a platau (the Anicent Forrest, I guess.) that are inaccessable, but doesn't say anything about how you get to them. There were probably other things as well, but I still want to read it again, because I liked the style. I think that was the exact same walkthrough I used as a kid. I loved the hell out of that thing, despite how inaccurate it was in hindsight. I remember it calling Carry Armor "Dock Loader" and Motorball was called "Armoured Tank". It also told you how to get Yuffie and Vincent, but next to the Yuffie description was a picture of Aeris. Oh my God, I think that's the one. :cool: I'm so pleased someone else finally knew which one I ment. If I remeber correctly, it was pretty good at avoiding spoilers - the biggest FFVII spoiler isn't mentioned at all. Good times.

Raistlin
01-04-2012, 01:45 AM
The official FFVII guide was notably bad, but nothing, and I mean nothing, beats the official FFIX guide when it comes to uselessness. And it was not because of incompetence, but because it was designed to be useless. "There are items on this screen! To find out where, go to Play Online! What, did you expect this guide to actually tell you anything, or at least be worth more than the paper it's printed on? You poor, naive bastard."

MJN SEIFER
01-04-2012, 02:06 AM
The official FFVII guide was notably bad, Do you have any specifics? Sorry, but I never got to read it
but nothing, and I mean nothing, beats the official FFIX guide when it comes to uselessness. And it was not because of incompetence, but because it was designed to be useless. "There are items on this screen! To find out where, go to Play Online! What, did you expect this guide to actually tell you anything, or at least be worth more than the paper it's printed on? You poor, naive bastard." Bad memories. Bad, bad memories. Add to the fact that I can't even get Play Online to work anymore! :mad2:

DMKA
01-04-2012, 05:19 AM
The official FFVII guide was notably bad, but nothing, and I mean nothing, beats the official FFIX guide when it comes to uselessness. And it was not because of incompetence, but because it was designed to be useless. "There are items on this screen! To find out where, go to Play Online! What, did you expect this guide to actually tell you anything, or at least be worth more than the paper it's printed on? You poor, naive bastard."
So wait, you mean that was the official guide? Like Brandy Games or Piggyback would release? Dear god.

I still have it somewhere.

Wolf Kanno
01-04-2012, 10:46 PM
The guide does let loose some secrets if you study it enough (blue mage skills, some rare item locations and what not) but yeaj, the guide was a terrible terrible idea overall.

Raistlin
01-05-2012, 02:47 AM
The official FFVII guide was notably bad, Do you have any specifics? Sorry, but I never got to read it

WK provided a few examples. I don't remember much else specific as I haven't looked at it in a good 8 or so years, but I also remember it mixed up some items that you could win from Battle Square or chocobo racing, and some dungeon areas were missing items (a Counter or Counter Magic in the Northern Crater, as one example).

MJN SEIFER
01-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Come to think of it, that FFVII guide also thought "H051-whatever" was one of the Jenovas...:confused:

G13
01-21-2012, 11:11 AM
xD I still have my IX guide. I was so angry after spending $20 on such a useless piece of garbage. By the time I got it PlayOnline had already taken down it's IX information.

The VI guide missed a secret area off-screen right before you obtain Carbuncle. I don't remember what was in the area though.

Skyblade
01-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Guides from the 16-bit to PSX generations are pretty notorious for missing things. The official FFVII Guide missed a few items (Cursed Ring and Behemoth Horn) mixed up how to obtain certain materia (Final Attack and Sneak Attack), the FFVI guide for the SNES missed a few items and side quests, Xenogears guide leaves out rare item drops from enemies and doesn't realize that several supposedly unwinnable battles are winnable and net you rare items. Stuff like this are common for RPG guides.

I think my favorite missing thing about the FFVII guide is the Rising Sun. It's not in their weapon list, nor is there any mention of it in the guide, or how to obtain it. But, if you look at all the screenshots, instead of just looking at the guide, you'll see a shot of it being stolen from Diamond WEAPON. So, clearly, someone knew it was there. Why wasn't it added to the official game list, and why didn't they tell you the specifics about stealing from him?

Iceglow
01-22-2012, 01:22 AM
The OPM guide for FFVIII actually didn't tell you much, well it was a hints and tips book like think much like the one Paul and MJN are talking about. It did however give you all 32 SeeD test answers. The 13th test answers and the 8th test answers (along with some others I believe, but I've never needed to use all 32 tests since I kill too much and that keeps my rank up) are wrong and not just one or two wrong like 5 wrong answers.

There were other little wrong ones I remember. Front Mission 3 had a similar thing, the guide told you that you needed a certain password for a download on the "internet" in game that led to getting cool stuff. It did not however explain how you get the url for that website. Something which is actually not simply uncovered in story line play but required a sub story in itself. Vagrant Story had plenty of wrong stuff in it's OPM guide too.

Heck, lets face it...OPM sucked at writing guides a few years ago now.

I wouldn't mind finding a copy of the Prima/Brady games guide for Vagrant Story as the artwork alone would be worth it, though I have never owned a Brady/Prima guide book for any game. My mom basically raised me with the logic that it was fine to buy me the games but if I was going to keep getting brought games for presents then I had to be able to do them without game guides. She considered it cheating. In a sense that made me far more inquisitive in games and have far longer play time out of each game since I would actually work on getting through it bit by bit without cheating or using a guide book.

Dr. rydrum2112
01-22-2012, 05:00 AM
I had the David Cassady guide for FF7 and in it, they had published you could win Sephiroth's Masamune blade from gold saucer- did anyone?

This was so far back in the day, that Cassady listed his email address in the back of the book- so I emailed asking him about it and he never responded...

MJN SEIFER
01-22-2012, 05:53 AM
I had the David Cassady guide for FF7 and in it, they had published you could win Sephiroth's Masamune blade from gold saucer- did anyone?

This was so far back in the day, that Cassady listed his email address in the back of the book- so I emailed asking him about it and he never responded... Yes you can, but it's just a collecters item like the 1/35 Solider, and some other items I'm too tired to mention. It's not the real sword and you can't use it - it's a toy.

Dr. rydrum2112
01-22-2012, 09:15 PM

This was so far back in the day, that Cassady listed his email address in the back of the book- so I emailed asking him about it and he never responded... Yes you can, but it's just a collecters item like the 1/35 Solider, and some other items I'm too tired to mention. It's not the real sword and you can't use it - it's a toy.

thats weak- why would you want the coolest looking sword as a toy item that you can't see or use?

Psychotic
01-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Come to think of it, that FFVII guide also thought "H051-whatever" was one of the Jenovas...:confused:That's right! It was the same one! I remember mentioning it as Jenova (I think Jenova Specimen?) to my friends and they were like "Uh, no...?" I was always confused as to why it didn't have the Jenova music.

MJN SEIFER
01-22-2012, 11:58 PM
That's right! It was the same one! I remember mentioning it as Jenova (I think Jenova Specimen?) to my friends and they were like "Uh, no...?" I was always confused as to why it didn't have the Jenova music. Yeah, it was "Jenova Specimen" which is what Red XIII refers to Jenova as sometime you escape from the cells. I'm guessing they just thought it was that based on that line. Man, I really wish i still had it - I'm getting kinda nostalgia.

I used to think that maybe they didn't know about the "Help Window" until after Midgar, as "Armored Tank" seemed to be the last mistake they made, but like you say Carry Armor was missnamed, and I think one of the Hojos was called something stupid as well, so I dunno...

Also because I missed this:

thats weak- why would you want the coolest looking sword as a toy item that you can't see or use? I think it was to make the FFVII world more real by allowing the player to have collectors items. I'm in to minds of the idea really.